post #91 of 102 Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberyu View Post

I have no idea what they are doing about upgrading this set to HDMI 2.0, and I'm getting the impression nobody else does either (other than speculation). I don't think they are actually going to revise this set until late this year at the earliest (it appears this set did not really go on sale until late 2013 anyway). If the HDMI 2.0 version was looking like it would be actually announced any time soon, I'd hold off, but I need a new TV for the living room, and don't want to stare at a blank wall until October-December to actually get the set.

I will do one thing... Speak the truth about this set with no axe to grind. It will get tossed back if I'm not impressed. I can live without HDMI 2.0. If I can at least watch movies in UHD/24p, I can last a few more years until I move this set to the bedroom, and get that nice 85" 8K set for the living room.

Rob, let us know how you like the Sharp. I had my eye on it for a short while also. I'd like to hear your opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 04-20-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Okay, got the set. Initial impressions...

Cliff Notes: It's going back. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

The duobass is a total WAF death-blow right off the bat. That stupid MASSIVE HUMP in nearly the worst possible place in the back of the TV makes me think the Sharp engineers really wracked their brains on how to make this the worst wall-mount set EVAR! They succeeded in this stunningly successful realization of their dream.. Ultra-thin design that demands you mount the back of it 3" out from the wall no matter what mount you have, just like that vintage plasma your ancestors hung on their cave wall. Awesome. My wife, who is not tech-savvy, immediately picked up on it when mounted and said... Eewww. Out loud, really.

I had to rip the new wall-mount off the wall (You know, the nice articulating, yet low-profile that worked so well on this set's lower-line cousin Q+ that this set is replacing. I had to dig out my older wall-mount that held my 65" Panny Plasma to the wall. Could not even use the lower profile brackets, and had the bust out the tilt brackets so I had the clearance for that duobass hump of death. No bid deal, I swapped the mounts in minutes.

Duobass, sound. Not only is this a shockingly gangly contraption, it CANNOT be removed as its housing is molded into the overall back plastic panel of the set. It also manages to offer NOTHING to the sound, which is worse than the Sammy 56” 8-series flush-mounted on my office wall. This only serves to apply some passion to my hatred for the lump that shall forever be known as “Quasimodo”.

Picture Turned it on, went to THX settings, ran though some other settings as well, and the picture was stunning. Very nice, but I could already see the clouding, in my bright room. I’ve got other edge-lit screens, so I have no illusions about avoiding clouding, but this set has the WORST clouding in the lower-right 8th of the screen, and I can not run from it no matter the settings. When the room get’s dark there are no satisfactory setting than can be had, and I tried everything to bring it down. Letterbox… agh, run for the hills because you’ll have conflicting instincts on whether to gouge your eyes out with a spork, or send the nearest table lamp souring through set (with how far it was to be off the wall, you might have enough space for it to come out the other side). What a waste of a decent panel (housing, lighting).

Software. Welcome to last year, or worse. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get Netflix to bitstream 5.1 though my Denon 4520ci. The Q+ was so easy, everything else I’ve tried is so easy, and I’m getting the sinking feeling that this set does not do it at all. You can clearly see the Netflix on the Q+ sets is a generation newer. Although the setup menus and system software is very similar to the Q+ sets, the Smart Central seems like not as new on this set.

4K content. Okay, I know there is nothing out yet except for some downloadable demos, and some Youtube content. It would not play ANY UHD content from the usb stick I used on Sony and Samsung sets in the store. One error message after another, such as resolution not supported etc. I’ll mess with it some more, but no bueno so far. Also, apparently no HVEC either, and no idea if it will ever come to this set via firmware update. Youtube looks okay, but the Q+ looks just about as good in detail, with far better blacks. Go figure.

What a shame… Nice 4K panel in need of a better than bottom of the barrel lighting system, and decent enclosure, and decent software (to drive 4K content), and modern apps, and etc., etc. Nasty, rushed to market hardware/software,/lighting with a nice panel trapped inside waiting for rescue by real design engineers. I need to stop typing, and exercise this unsightly lump from my wall….NOW. Sorry Quasimodo, you just gotta godo.
ATC7 and jyqureshi like this.
post #93 of 102 Old 04-20-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberyu View Post

Okay, got the set. Initial impressions...

Cliff Notes: It's going back. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

The duobass is a total WAF death-blow right off the bat. That stupid MASSIVE HUMP in nearly the worst possible place in the back of the TV makes me think the Sharp engineers really wracked their brains on how to make this the worst wall-mount set EVAR! They succeeded in this stunningly successful realization of their dream.. Ultra-thin design that demands you mount the back of it 3" out from the wall no matter what mount you have, just like that vintage plasma your ancestors hung on their cave wall. Awesome. My wife, who is not tech-savvy, immediately picked up on it when mounted and said... Eewww. Out loud, really.

I had to rip the new wall-mount off the wall (You know, the nice articulating, yet low-profile that worked so well on this set's lower-line cousin Q+ that this set is replacing. I had to dig out my older wall-mount that held my 65" Panny Plasma to the wall. Could not even use the lower profile brackets, and had the bust out the tilt brackets so I had the clearance for that duobass hump of death. No bid deal, I swapped the mounts in minutes.

Duobass, sound. Not only is this a shockingly gangly contraption, it CANNOT be removed as its housing is molded into the overall back plastic panel of the set. It also manages to offer NOTHING to the sound, which is worse than the Sammy 56” 8-series flush-mounted on my office wall. This only serves to apply some passion to my hatred for the lump that shall forever be known as “Quasimodo”.

Picture Turned it on, went to THX settings, ran though some other settings as well, and the picture was stunning. Very nice, but I could already see the clouding, in my bright room. I’ve got other edge-lit screens, so I have no illusions about avoiding clouding, but this set has the WORST clouding in the lower-right 8th of the screen, and I can not run from it no matter the settings. When the room get’s dark there are no satisfactory setting than can be had, and I tried everything to bring it down. Letterbox… agh, run for the hills because you’ll have conflicting instincts on whether to gouge your eyes out with a spork, or send the nearest table lamp souring through set (with how far it was to be off the wall, you might have enough space for it to come out the other side). What a waste of a decent panel (housing, lighting).

Software. Welcome to last year, or worse. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get Netflix to bitstream 5.1 though my Denon 4520ci. The Q+ was so easy, everything else I’ve tried is so easy, and I’m getting the sinking feeling that this set does not do it at all. You can clearly see the Netflix on the Q+ sets is a generation newer. Although the setup menus and system software is very similar to the Q+ sets, the Smart Central seems like not as new on this set.

4K content. Okay, I know there is nothing out yet except for some downloadable demos, and some Youtube content. It would not play ANY UHD content from the usb stick I used on Sony and Samsung sets in the store. One error message after another, such as resolution not supported etc. I’ll mess with it some more, but no bueno so far. Also, apparently no HVEC either, and no idea if it will ever come to this set via firmware update. Youtube looks okay, but the Q+ looks just about as good in detail, with far better blacks. Go figure.

What a shame… Nice 4K panel in need of a better than bottom of the barrel lighting system, and decent enclosure, and decent software (to drive 4K content), and modern apps, and etc., etc. Nasty, rushed to market hardware/software,/lighting with a nice panel trapped inside waiting for rescue by real design engineers. I need to stop typing, and exercise this unsightly lump from my wall….NOW. Sorry Quasimodo, you just gotta godo.

Roberyu,

thanks for the review. I have suspected that the UQ panels would look pretty much as detailed as the UD on 4K content, and it sounds like that is what you have experienced.

On blacks and contrast, the SQ has a quoted contrast ratio of 8,000,000:1, the UQ 12,000,000:1 and the UD quoted CR is 10,000,000:1

So based on spec, the UQ with it 'Superbright' backlight and increased CR spec, appears like it should have better blacks and CR than the UD.

While I suspect that the SQ and the UQ are basically the same TV with possibly some firmware-based 'dumbing-down' of the SQ to support the inferior CR spec, no one has yet been able to provide a quantitative comparison of the two Q+ models.

Can I ask which Q+ TV you had, the SQ or the UQ?

Also, if you had a Q+ panel, can I ask why you decided to try a UD instead? What was their about your Q+ TV that you found lacking and were hoping the UD would improve upon?

At any rate, thanks again for this review - it informally confirms what I have suspected from the beginning - that the Q+ is the true performance flagship in Sharp's 2014 TV lineup.
post #94 of 102 Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here's the thing though... I had a TQ, which is pretty much just a gussied up SQ. I'm going to get a little more serious and at least bust out some test patterns and set the set up a little more tonight. I'll post more later when I've got some time.
post #95 of 102 Old 04-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yikes! If they had released an 80" UD I would be right there with you. Thought it looked great in the store with demo reel, but it was on a stand, and I didn't notice the hump. Thanks for the review, good luck!

Samsung PN58B550 (Livingroom) - Samsung BDP-F7500
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV - DefTech SM65 C/L/R x3 - CS Ensemble III (surrounds)
Sharp LC-80UQ17U (Mancave) - Amazon Fire TV & Samsung BDP-E5900
Denon 4520CI - GE Triton 2 - GE SCXL - Klipsch RP3 (surrounds) - PSA XS15se
post #96 of 102 Old 04-27-2014, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was hoping someone here could explain or help me with my tv. I also have the LC-70UD1U, had it about a month. Great picture, but I have this nagging issue from the "soap opera effect.

To turn this feature off I go to the TV settings and change the motion enhancement to OFF and Film Mode to OFF. Then I can watch the TV without the "soap opera effect". But once the TV is turned off and turned back on the "soap opera effect" comes back on. When I go to the TV settings again the motion enhancement and film mode is off but the picture still shows the "soap opera effect". To turn that back off I have to change the motion enhancement and film mode back to ON then OFF then I can watch the TV without the "soap opera effect". Again only when I turn off and on the TV that effect comes back on even though the settings says its OFF. Hope this makes sense.

What the sharp tech person and myself did was do a soft reset (go into settings and doing a reset), also doing a hard reset (unplug TV hold input and volume button while plugging the TV back in. Then onscreen doing a INIT reset. Also we made sure on the EZ setup the TV location was set to HOME not Store.

So the person from Sharp said a tech needs to come onsite and do a repair.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced
post #97 of 102 Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Sounds like a firmware bug.
post #98 of 102 Old 04-27-2014, 12:44 PM

We checked the latest firmware and I have it. It came with the tv. Maybe I have to download it and reinstall?
post #99 of 102 Old 04-27-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchong View Post

We checked the latest firmware and I have it. It came with the tv. Maybe I have to download it and reinstall?
No, I mean it's a mistake in the firmware. Sharp would need to fix the problem and release a new firmware to correct it.
post #100 of 102 Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

No, I mean it's a mistake in the firmware. Sharp would need to fix the problem and release a new firmware to correct it.

I have not heard of anyone having this issue, maybe its new. Even the sharp techs told me they have not gotten any calls regarding this. Well just waiting for a sharp authorized tech to call me on Monday to go over the problem and already scheduled for this Thursday to come out.
post #101 of 102 Old 08-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchong View Post
I was hoping someone here could explain or help me with my tv. I also have the, LC-70UD1U had it about a month. Great picture, but I have this nagging issue from the "soap opera effect.

To turn this feature off I go to the TV settings and change the motion enhancement to OFF and Film Mode to OFF. Then I can watch the TV without the "soap opera effect". But once the TV is turned off and turned back on the "soap opera effect" comes back on. When I go to the TV settings again the motion enhancement and film mode is off but the picture still shows the "soap opera effect". To turn that back off I have to change the motion enhancement and film mode back to ON then OFF then I can watch the TV without the "soap opera effect". Again only when I turn off and on the TV that effect comes back on even though the settings says its OFF. Hope this makes sense.

What the sharp tech person and myself did was do a soft reset (go into settings and doing a reset), also doing a hard reset (unplug TV hold input and volume button while plugging the TV back in. Then onscreen doing a INIT reset. Also we made sure on the EZ setup the TV location was set to HOME not Store.

So the person from Sharp said a tech needs to come onsite and do a repair.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced

I had this problem with my LC-70UD1U and it drove me crazy. I switched to User Mode set off motion control and it just slowly became a non issue. I guess this was partially due to break in of the panel. After a month or so I rarely noticed any soap opera effect but..................

my panel died a few weeks ago. Sharp sent a tech out to determine that it was dead and they said they'd send me a new set. Only problem is that they don't have one in stock and can't say when they will. If they're out and it's last years model how will they ever get them back in stock, unless they're coming back from existing dealers.

That was entirely unsatisfactory to me. I called Amazon, and even though the set was 5 months old, they quickly agreed to give me a full refund and send a truck to pick it up. Part of that may be because I've got about 1000 purchases from them, but either way I've been bailed out.

Now my problem is this, I want another 70" 4k set, and there is the Sony 70" 850B and the 75" Sammy HU8550. Each of those has something I don't like, but now I have the option to wait for the new Sharp. It apparently has improved on the lighting scheme and should have the THX certification. I'm not even sure if that's a big deal, but it was a very nice setting on the 70UD1U. I'm not sure the other sets can't get there albeit without the certification.
post #102 of 102 Old 08-13-2014, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have the UQ17U 70" with THX certification and I will never use the feature, though it's
nice to know that the set meets their specifications. The feature disables the Light Sensor
backlight control, which is integral to the dynamic contrast of the set and a deal breaker.
You have to choose either Dark Room or Light Room and get a fixed backlight value with
the THX mode engaged. The OPC feature works so well in this latest generation of sets that I
would not want to go a day without it. Pity that the THX folks haven't caught up with the
technology...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 70ud1u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page