Sharp 4K Anticipation Thread. LC-70UD1U Discusion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 100 Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Looks like Sharp in about to launch there version of 4K, LC-70UD1U for $6999. MSPS, unit "should" street for about $1000 less.

Link to a little info on Sharps sight >>> Click Here

Another article >>> Click Here

----World’s First THX-Certified 4K TV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I lost interest when they dropped the MothEye screen that the Japanese version has and offered no HDMI 2.0 solution. Are they still even using a new version of the ICC reality engine for upcoverting? Honestly, the new 65" Panasonic 4K HDMI 2.0 that leaked looks nice as does the LG 65" 4K with FALD.
post #3 of 100 Old 08-31-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is this another edge lit tv and will it be passive or active for 3D?
post #4 of 100 Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #5 of 100 Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
To bad, I am amazed how many of the new 4k's are active 3d to me the best selling feature of 4k is passive 3d with full 1080p resolution
and any TV this costly should be full array with back lighting
post #6 of 100 Old 09-03-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #7 of 100 Old 09-03-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Ain't competition grand?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #8 of 100 Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #9 of 100 Old 09-19-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ Yep, with Sony's recent price drop, no choice but to lower the price.

These should be in by the end of the month smile.gif

Chris: Any info/rumors regarding a 80" 4k preferably with FALD? Thanks
post #10 of 100 Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1379589949

70 inch 4K from sharp in stores now

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #11 of 100 Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Chris: Any info/rumors regarding a 80" 4k preferably with FALD? Thanks
No info on a 80", but they should make one wink.gif
post #12 of 100 Old 09-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
there is a battle on right now i am also waiting for an 80 inch and above 4K tv not sure if OLED or just the UHD. OLED burn in is my concern.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #13 of 100 Old 09-26-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #14 of 100 Old 09-27-2013, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Revisiting the Sharp website on the HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 I see that someone asked this question in the Q&A section. Answer states that the ports are only
1.4 frown.gif. That is just plain stupid with Panny, etc. coming out with 2.0 sets. There was no further explanation if a firmware update could be done to 2.0 like
Sony is going to do on some of their 4K sets.
Gerry
post #15 of 100 Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah Abt brought mine over today. I got it as a warranty replacement for my Sharp 70" Elite which had a panel go bad due to lamp issues and Sharp can no longer replace those panels. Sooo...they offered me this TV or a 6k credit in-store.

They called around 5pm, said it came in and asked if I wanted it brought over. It's nice, haven't spent much time with it. I have noticed one issue though immediately...terrible lip sync! I didn't have this issue on the Sharp Elite, nothing else changed in the setup. Any thoughts on this? I looked through the menus but do not see anything for Lip Sync or Auto Delay setting options.

I run video/audio over HDMI through my wired walls, so just tossing an optical cable into the mix isn't a viable option.

I'll use this TV for a couple weeks and see what I think of it before deciding if this is an adequate replacement or not to the old one. Regardless I have a 6k credit that I can use to pick up whatever one I want. I just question if 4k is even worth it at this point...and if it is, is this the right TV?

I had done no research prior, as my old one died out to the panel/lamp issue and so this is the immediate resolution. Should I be happy and move on (assuming I get the lip sync fixed), or is there other/better options out there?

That's my dilemma as I sit here fiddling with it tonight..time will tell! smile.gif At least I didn't have to actually buy the thing, and it's replacing a Oct. 2011 TV under warranty brand new, can't complain.
tlwiz1 likes this.
post #16 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 AM
tdx

Liked: 10
Not sure about lip sync issue sorry. However may I ask you how this set compares to your Elite picture-wise? Especially the uniformity and depth of blacks?

I'm asking because i may replace my Elite with this, but i haven't been able to determine whether it's full array (like the Elite) or Edge-lit.

Thanks!
post #17 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

It's edge lit and doesn't have IVC so unless there is some unadvertised dimming feature, i would expect blacks to be no better than their average 2k 70".

Regarding lip sync, that is usually a problem with the source or the AVR if one is being used. If AVR in use, it should have an adjustment. If actually a TV issue the only thing I can think of is turn any energy saving features off and turn any motion handling off to see if that fixes it.
post #18 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 05:41 AM

Saw this yesterday on display at a local store. To my eye its the best picture I've seen yet, with the exception of the LG OLED I saw at CES. However with no confirmed HDMI 2.0 I couldn't bring myself to buy it. Panasonic says they'll have the first HDMI 2.0 set in two weeks, but in reality Sony beat them to market, the new X850A has HDMI 2.0 and is available now.

AVerMedia AVerTVHDÂ MCE A180 & MSI Theater 550Pro PCI Tuners
post #19 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post

Saw this yesterday on display at a local store. To my eye its the best picture I've seen yet, with the exception of the LG OLED I saw at CES. However with no confirmed HDMI 2.0 I couldn't bring myself to buy it. Panasonic says they'll have the first HDMI 2.0 set in two weeks, but in reality Sony beat them to market, the new X850A has HDMI 2.0 and is available now.

Out of curiosity what were they showing on it? Had they rigged up a 4K feed somehow, or was it an up scaled blu ray?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #20 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

It's edge lit and doesn't have IVC so unless there is some unadvertised dimming feature, i would expect blacks to be no better than their average 2k 70".

Regarding lip sync, that is usually a problem with the source or the AVR if one is being used. If AVR in use, it should have an adjustment. If actually a TV issue the only thing I can think of is turn any energy saving features off and turn any motion handling off to see if that fixes it.

I run everything through a Denon AVR-4311CI. Do I turn off the scaling at the receiver level? Do I lose anything by doing this or does it just ensure only the tv is doing the upscaling?

This isn't costing me anything on my two options Abt is giving me so I'm torn on which set to go with. Is a 4k tv without hdmi2.0 worth it? Or do I take the Samsung F8000 75" they said they can bring out today or Monday.

The Samsung is highly regarded as one of the best LEDs before you go to 4k - so good deal it appears. I could take this as the replacement, wait for a proper 4k w/HDMI2.0, lower prices and actual 4k content.

But then having the new Sharp 4k nags at me as being great assuming I get the lip sync issue fixed.

Completely torn!
post #21 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshehan View Post

Yeah Abt brought mine over today. I got it as a warranty replacement for my Sharp 70" Elite which had a panel go bad due to lamp issues and Sharp can no longer replace those panels. Sooo...they offered me this TV or a 6k credit in-store.
They called around 5pm, said it came in and asked if I wanted it brought over. It's nice, haven't spent much time with it. I have noticed one issue though immediately...terrible lip sync! I didn't have this issue on the Sharp Elite, nothing else changed in the setup.EoRNcT Any thoughts on this? I looked through the menus but do not see anything for Lip Sync or Auto Delay setting options.I run video/audio over HDMI through my wired walls, so just tossing an optical cable into the mix isn't a viable option.
I'll use this TV for a couple weeks and see what I think of it before deciding if this is an adequate replacement or not to the old one. Regardless I have a 6k credit that I can use to pick up whatever one I want. I just question if 4k is even worth it at this point...and if it is, is this the right TV?

Yes of course ,that's the right one.

post #22 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsheehan View Post

I run everything through a Denon AVR-4311CI. Do I turn off the scaling at the receiver level? Do I lose anything by doing this or does it just ensure only the tv is doing the upscaling?

This isn't costing me anything on my two options Abt is giving me so I'm torn on which set to go with. Is a 4k tv without hdmi2.0 worth it? Or do I take the Samsung F8000 75" they said they can bring out today or Monday.

The Samsung is highly regarded as one of the best LEDs before you go to 4k - so good deal it appears. I could take this as the replacement, wait for a proper 4k w/HDMI2.0, lower prices and actual 4k content.

But then having the new Sharp 4k nags at me as being great assuming I get the lip sync issue fixed.

Completely torn!

Your Denon will have a lip-sync adjustment. Check the manual to find it. Once found, a test disc such as Spears & Munsil 2d is the best way to get perfect sync but doing it by ear can work. Regarding scaling, if the Denon does 4k then you can experiment to find out whether it is better than the TV. If only 1080p out of the Denon I would still experiment to find out whether the Sharp did a better job on 720p and 1080i sources.

I have a 70X5 which I hope continues to be trouble free so I can choose which 4k I want. I am waiting for a 75-80" FALD set.
post #23 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Yeah I ended up going with the Samsung F8000 75" 1080p for now. They called and said they'd be here in 15 minutes with it so it made the decision easier. It's being hung up as I write this. smile.gif

I know I can't go wrong with the F8000, as it's one of the best LEDs you can get right now. I figure let the market settle for a year or so on the 4k side, get some broadcasts/dvd/etc. content being delivered at 4k, HDMI 2.0 should be standard by then...and, they'll all be cheaper than the first to market ones coming out currently.

Ultimately, for a "free" replacement to a 2.5 year old TV I made out like a bandit and either option would have been the right choice in my mind. Just knowing the issues I saw in a single day with the Sharp 4k UHD I feel more "comfortable" in the proven Samsung unit at this time.

Thanks for all the advice!
post #24 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Liked: 37
I got a question for you if you don't mind how much for each like I know the sharp was 5999 how much was Samsung also did you keep leftover money if any cause if not might was well spend up to 6k or just save it and wait
post #25 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 PM

The Sharp they were selling and did an even swap at $5,999; the Samsung was $6,999. They gave it to me as an even swap though.
post #26 of 100 Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Out of curiosity what were they showing on it? Had they rigged up a 4K feed somehow, or was it an up scaled blu ray?

We watched up scaled bluray, the Sony 4K demo (off a usb stick) and a Sharp demo.

AVerMedia AVerTVHDÂ MCE A180 & MSI Theater 550Pro PCI Tuners
post #27 of 100 Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 AM

Liked: 38
For those who had this TV or have watched it, any comments on the black level as well as reflections and viewing angle? I assume brightness is great.
post #28 of 100 Old 09-30-2013, 04:38 PM

I sent it back and had it swapped out with the Samsung F8000 75" for my warranty replacement. I simply wasn't wow'd enough. 4k needs time to mature, content to be available and we as consumers need options that give us the best features.

This unit not being planned for an HDMI 2.0 firmware update played heavily in my decision. The picture was good but nothing spectacular. I felt my Pioneer Elite 60 was still better, and it was about the same as the Sharp Elite 70.

There were some lip sync issues and no way natively in the set to manage it. Turning off compression on the receiver didn't help worker from satellite or DVD sources.

If I had more time with the unit to play with colors and all I would wager it would have grown on me more; but less than 24 hours isn't enough to take it all in. Overall I wasn't convinced the Abt replacement to my dead Sharp Elite 70 was the answer in the Sharp 4k 70" unit. I was questioning it the entire time.

The moment that Samsung F8000 75" went up on the wall I immediately new it was the right decision and replacement model (for me). I have absolute confidence and I'm happy with what I got in the replacement unit and I don't find myself second guessing anything. If I'd stayed with the 4k I can't say the same.

I'm happy with what I've got now to give 4k another 12 - 18 months, let HDMI 2.0 be standard on units and some prices to come down. By then we'll have more DVD content at 4k and hopefully some broadcast TV as well.
post #29 of 100 Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM
tdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsheehan View Post

I sent it back and had it swapped out with the Samsung F8000 75" for my warranty replacement. I simply wasn't wow'd enough. 4k needs time to mature, content to be available and we as consumers need options that give us the best features.

This unit not being planned for an HDMI 2.0 firmware update played heavily in my decision. The picture was good but nothing spectacular. I felt my Pioneer Elite 60 was still better, and it was about the same as the Sharp Elite 70.

There were some lip sync issues and no way natively in the set to manage it. Turning off compression on the receiver didn't help worker from satellite or DVD sources.

If I had more time with the unit to play with colors and all I would wager it would have grown on me more; but less than 24 hours isn't enough to take it all in. Overall I wasn't convinced the Abt replacement to my dead Sharp Elite 70 was the answer in the Sharp 4k 70" unit. I was questioning it the entire time.

The moment that Samsung F8000 75" went up on the wall I immediately new it was the right decision and replacement model (for me). I have absolute confidence and I'm happy with what I got in the replacement unit and I don't find myself second guessing anything. If I'd stayed with the 4k I can't say the same.

I'm happy with what I've got now to give 4k another 12 - 18 months, let HDMI 2.0 be standard on units and some prices to come down. By then we'll have more DVD content at 4k and hopefully some broadcast TV as well.

Thanks for the detailed write up. One more question if you don't mind: having owned a 70" Elite (which is what I have now). which of the two sets do you believe comes closer to matching its picture quality, especially the black levels: the samsung or the 4K sharp?

Thanks!
post #30 of 100 Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post

Thanks for the detailed write up. One more question if you don't mind: having owned a 70" Elite (which is what I have now). which of the two sets do you believe comes closer to matching its picture quality, especially the black levels: the samsung or the 4K sharp?

Thanks!

I second the motion?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page