Sharp LC-60LE550 Screen Issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-01-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was in the market for an entry level 60" LED. I have a RoKu, so I wasn't too interested in Smart capability. Target had a Sharp LC-60LE550 that was on sale for $899, same as the Vizio Razr 60". Reviews state thatthe 60LE650 is great and further research shows that the specs are the same as the 500 minus one less HDMI port and Smart capability. I also read that the out of the box settings are terrible, which I can agree with.

I used a few recommended settings, but the colors still looked off and motion a bit blurry. For example, a baseball player's skin was washed out while his uniform's color was vibrant. While changing channels, I noticed a weird brightness on the black screen. I switched the input to an unused HDMI connection for a black screen. Low and behold, I see a lot of "flash lighting." I'm hoping that the screen is just bad which is accounting for its overall lack of performance.

As a casual user, I want to make sure that this is an issue where I'd need to return it. I have a 47" Vizio LED and on a black screen, it does not have the issues.mad.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

I went back to Target this morning and they were out of the Sharp and Vizio models. Received a refund and headed to Best Buy and both of the TVs I'm interested in were sold out. Attempted to buy the Panasonic TC L58E60 or Panasonic P60-ST60 Plasma. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a huge fan of Sharp. I checked out the 550 and 650 models at Best Buy and both looked unbalanced and dull compared to the others. Even their high end selection was nothing spectacular.

So now I'm torn between the E60 and ST60. The living room it's going into has three windows and faces east, so the lighting is not too bright. My wife entertains my daughter there beginning at 7am and I imagine the TV stays on until 6pm. LED is a plus from an energy consumption perspective, but the LED is $12 a year vs the $34 a year plasma. Any ideas? Has anyone compared these two?
post #3 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brave83 View Post

I went back to Target this morning and they were out of the Sharp and Vizio models. Received a refund and headed to Best Buy and both of the TVs I'm interested in were sold out. Attempted to buy the Panasonic TC L58E60 or Panasonic P60-ST60 Plasma. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a huge fan of Sharp. I checked out the 550 and 650 models at Best Buy and both looked unbalanced and dull compared to the others. Even their high end selection was nothing spectacular.

So now I'm torn between the E60 and ST60. The living room it's going into has three windows and faces east, so the lighting is not too bright. My wife entertains my daughter there beginning at 7am and I imagine the TV stays on until 6pm. LED is a plus from an energy consumption perspective, but the LED is $12 a year vs the $34 a year plasma. Any ideas? Has anyone compared these two?

That picture has really bad flash lighting. You did right IMO on bringing it back. Sharps are good, but I found only their higher end tv's are really worth it such as the newer 757 and 857's. The 857's are really good and their top of the line right now which is why I bought one. Anything lower then a 757 didnt impress me.
As far as the Panasonics go both are good tv's and of course a great brand. What I would do is compare the features of both on amazon and go from there. Amazon usually has really good comparison charts on the product pages towards the bottom. I usually read the reviews to see what kind of issues if any people have with them as well.
Plasmas are really good for darker rooms, but as long as the light in the room isnt to bright, they are still good. Besides it costing more per year to run a Plasma you also have to deal with the heat from them. My 9 year old Dell lcd puts out more heat then a plasma though believe it or not.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Just returned from Best Buy hoping that they replenished their stock and no luck. I did check out the higher end Sharp models and they were excellent. The 550 and 650 series is definitely a step down.

I decided to go with the 58" Panasonic LED. I compared it to the 60" Panasonic Plasma and for the price difference and picture quality, it was a no brainer. Being in a bright room and the chances of the set remaining on for hours of a time, I think the LED is a better choice.

Next home will have a room with no windows, ample audio, and a Panasonic plasma for sure :-)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp 60 Inch Le550 Class Aquos 1080p 120hz Led Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page