Samsung FH6030 Uniformity Issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-02-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello! I purchased a Samsung FH6030 5 weeks ago and have recently noticed issues where there's inconsistency with brightness across the panel. Thicker vertical 'bars' that are different brightness is the best way I can describe it. They seem consistent in their inconsistency, evenly spaced and sized. I've included images below and the issue exists from the 2 sources I have connected using 2 different HDMI cables. It's most noticeable a few inches in from each side but has similar issues across the panel

Is this normal and is there a technical name for it? It seems relatively mild but I'd like to address it if it's a defect.

New Images, 100% of solid colors.

Blue is interesting as the camera did an odd job picking it up but it seems to show the issue very clearly if not exaggerated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

I imagine this would be considered vertical banding? I may need to capture better pictures of this to post, it's most noticeable on more solid color images.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
it's vertical banding and its occurring because of both the direct LED backlight configuration (limited full-array) and the Samsung panel (S-PVA)

nothing you can really do other than try another one if it bothers you too much to see if it's any better
itfeltsoweird likes this.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, came to part of that conclusion with more digging around. Seems fairly mild so I may live with it for now. Beyond the return date and all, possibly something under warranty? I'll likely need to look into that. Thanks!
post #5 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itfeltsoweird View Post

Thanks for the response, came to part of that conclusion with more digging around. Seems fairly mild so I may live with it for now. Beyond the return date and all, possibly something under warranty? I'll likely need to look into that. Thanks!

you can try the warranty route but Samsung will likely claim this is normal and not a defect (which is mostly true)... every Samsung with a S-PVA panel I've ever seen has vertical banding to some extent (some mild and some moderate)
post #6 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

you can try the warranty route but Samsung will likely claim this is normal and not a defect (which is mostly true)... every Samsung with a S-PVA panel I've ever seen has vertical banding to some extent (some mild and some moderate)

That's what I'm thinking. Based on the images I put up, while lacking in detail, would you say it seems fairly mild?
post #7 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

well, my EH6030 (last year's version of your set) has fewer but wider vertical bands

those pics are not the best but I'd say yours looks a bit worse than others I've seen
post #8 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I'll definitely take a few better pictures and am going to check with Samsung. One thing I found is the backlight seems to have an effect on it, I have it set to 8 currently. I did take a look at your calibration settings and yours is set higher I believe:

Mode: Standard
Backlight: 8
Contrast: 75
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 47
Tint: G50/R50

Gamma: -1

Color Offset - Defaults

Color tone: Warm

I may try increasing the backlight to see how well it improves it, it seemed more noticeable when I lowered it further from 8.

Thanks again for the responses.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

lowering the backlight can help hide it, but it doesn't actually fix the root cause of it... anyways, looking at the blue image I can confirm my set fares quite a bit better and so you could try getting a panel replacement using pics of both test patterns and actual program material to make your case to Samsung
post #10 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

this is what my set looks like with a 10% gray full field (ignore the horizontal lines... the camera is adding that)

post #11 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

also darker solid grays/colors make this issue more visible than bright solid whites/colors
post #12 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I can definitely see the similarities especially looking near the left side a few inches in there's a darker vertical bar that almost looks like it curves into the corners and then across there are more instances, definitely fewer than mine as you wrote. I put in a service request with Samsung to see how that process works and uploaded the last set of pictures. Again, the blue didn't quite look the way the image came out but it managed to pick up as much or more than I can perceive.

The set is really nice and I know I'm only partway there as far as calibration goes, this is about the only issue I've noticed with it.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

also darker solid grays/colors make this issue more visible than bright solid whites/colors

I'll definitely check out darker grays/colors. Thanks for the helpful info!
post #14 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I purchased the same TV in July with a TS01 SPVA panel. I have the exact same uniformity issues. If I were to take a photo with the same test patterns, it would look identical.

From what I've researched, 99% of the time any panel 46" and over have some sort of uniformity problem.

I guess I'd rather deal with the screen backlight uniformity issues from a limited array backlit TV than the issues introduce with an edge lit panel. Edgelit panels usually have clouding & flashlighting on letterbox and light streaking across the panel when a bright image (menu box) is displayed on the center of the screen on an overall black background.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicfrequency View Post

I purchased the same TV in July with a TS01 SPVA panel. I have the exact same uniformity issues. If I were to take a photo with the same test patterns, it would look identical.

From what I've researched, 99% of the time any panel 46" and over have some sort of uniformity problem.

I guess I'd rather deal with the screen backlight uniformity issues from a limited array backlit TV than the issues introduce with an edge lit panel. Edgelit panels usually have clouding & flashlighting on letterbox and light streaking across the panel when a bright image (menu box) is displayed on the center of the screen on an overall black background.

yeah, as far as all black screens go, there's nothing distracting like clouding or flashlighting... the vertical bands simply occur because the limited full-array backlight has some pretty big gaps between the columns or rows of LEDs (plus it appears there are no LEDs right near the borders of the screen and there's something about the S-PVA panel that makes it more prone to vertical banding... I've seen this with Samsung CCFL-LCDs too that use S-PVA)
post #16 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely agreed on living with the uniformity issues. I may still have someone come out to look at it eventually, cancelled my Samsung support ticket as I didn't feel like taking a whole day off of work to wait for the technician. As long as I'm focused on the media I'm not paying attention to the screen issues as much. Believe the panel on mine is TH01. Clouding, flash-lighting and streaking all sound much more unappealing for issues to have with the display than this.

Overall I'm happy with my choice for the price, paid $899 at Best Buy the only thing I'm finding is the lack of features like CEC/Anynet+ and ARC which would be nice since I also bought an F series Samsung Bluray and Soundbar to connect to it. Of course I knew the TV would not be a 'SMART' one, but alas.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I forgot the key combo to get into the service menu to check, but I just double checked the box and it is a Type: TH01 panel.

Once we see vertical banding it is really hard to unsee....that's for sure. My girlfriend says she doesn't notice it and my friends don't even notice it on their panels until I point it out.

I knew this TV wasn't smart and didn't have ARC, but I knew the flaws with the edge lit panels are much worse for much more money. Most edge lits have the clouding, flashlighting, streaking and still have the vertical banding to some extent....all for much more money. Just Google any TV model and "vertical banding" or "clouding" or "flashlighting" and you will see what I mean. Check out the flaws with the Samsung 7000 and 8000 series and then look at the prices on those sets!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55fh6030 55 Inch Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Electronics Un46fh6030 46 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page