Official Panasonic TC-LxxE60,TC-5xLE64 & TC-LxxEM60 Owners' Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 271 Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just picked this up @ Costco, since D Katz gave it a very good CNET score. Let the discussion commence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 271 Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Going to contribute just because its currently on a short list of TVs I am considering. How do you like it so far?
post #3 of 271 Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd love to get some opinions on this set! CNet gae it 3.5/5 stars, which is pretty average for these sets (not bad, not great), but it worries me that they compare black levels to plasmas and call it a negative. Of course LED panels will not have black levels as deep as plasmas - I'd rather they compare it to other LED TV's in this price range.
post #4 of 271 Old 09-09-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanathin View Post

I'd love to get some opinions on this set! CNet gae it 3.5/5 stars, which is pretty average for these sets (not bad, not great), but it worries me that they compare black levels to plasmas and call it a negative. Of course LED panels will not have black levels as deep as plasmas - I'd rather they compare it to other LED TV's in this price range.

I hear you. The comparisons to Plasma, while beneficial, should be a note and then there should be more direct comparisons to other LED TVs.

I'm actually very close to just pulling the trigger on this one. At just a hair under $1,000, it's a fantastic price for what appears to be a great large LED TV. The only other ones that are really on my radar are the Samsung 55" F6300 and the Sony 60" R550A. However, the Samsung is smaller and more expensive and though the Sony is larger, it's $470 more. I don't know if I can justify $470 for 2".

The E60 just seems to be a great value.
post #5 of 271 Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by garath View Post

The E60 just seems to be a great value.

That's exactly what has me worried. It's almost TOO good. Why on earth is a reputable brand such as Panasonic selling a nicely styled 58" LED TV for less than $1000 at most places? What's wrong with this set that makes it so inexpensive?
post #6 of 271 Old 09-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanathin View Post

That's exactly what has me worried. It's almost TOO good. Why on earth is a reputable brand such as Panasonic selling a nicely styled 58" LED TV for less than $1000 at most places? What's wrong with this set that makes it so inexpensive?

Seems like nothing!

Well it isn't an IPS panel so the side viewing is probably pretty poor. But my consolation is there is a Sharp model very similar in size and features that is roughly the same price. I like the Panasonic a lot more though, if nothing else because of the improvement in input lag.
post #7 of 271 Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 AM

I've got the 58" (well, actually 57.5") coming next Tuesday. I'll post my thoughts after I've put it through its paces.
post #8 of 271 Old 09-12-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post

I've got the 58" (well, actually 57.5") coming next Tuesday. I'll post my thoughts after I've put it through its paces.

Please do!

I'm 90% sure the 58" is the TV I'm going to be buying. I went to Best Buy and Sears a couple nights ago and spent some time staring at all the TVs. I found the Panasonic e60 to match up very favorably with all the TVs there. Obviously it's a store setting so can't really judge picture quality too much but I was impressed with what I saw nonetheless.
post #9 of 271 Old 09-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garath View Post

Please do!

I'm 90% sure the 58" is the TV I'm going to be buying. I went to Best Buy and Sears a couple nights ago and spent some time staring at all the TVs. I found the Panasonic e60 to match up very favorably with all the TVs there. Obviously it's a store setting so can't really judge picture quality too much but I was impressed with what I saw nonetheless.

Yes, I agree with your in-store observations. I"m hoping it will look as good when I get it home. Stay tuned!
post #10 of 271 Old 09-14-2013, 04:28 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys, I bought my L50E60 this past Tuesday, and ran it through a few simple image tests. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to accurately judging image quality, so I'm hoping you guys can provide some feedback on these photos:

Uniformity test:

Blooming test:

Flashlighting test:

Extreme off angle image:

(The last photo doesn't show it, but I was able to see imperfections at this extreme angle - as in the screen didn't look like a flat undisturbed gradient. Is that an issue, or to be expected from LCD screens?)

In general though I am impressed with the PQ and functionality. I watched Zero Dark Thirty (bluray), and it handled the raid scene pretty well, with just enough shadow detail and without washing out the blacks too badly. It's obviously not a plasma, but considering that I got it at $699, I don't think there's that much to complain about. Sound is acceptable for a thin cabinet television, i.e. not as bad as some reviews have made it out to be, and the smart environment is adequately responsive.
videobruce likes this.
post #11 of 271 Old 09-14-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post

Hey guys, I bought my L50E60 this past Tuesday, and ran it through a few simple image tests. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to accurately judging image quality, so I'm hoping you guys can provide some feedback on these photos:

In general though I am impressed with the PQ and functionality. I watched Zero Dark Thirty (bluray), and it handled the raid scene pretty well, with just enough shadow detail and without washing out the blacks too badly. It's obviously not a plasma, but considering that I got it at $699, I don't think there's that much to complain about. Sound is acceptable for a thin cabinet television, i.e. not as bad as some reviews have made it out to be, and the smart environment is adequately responsive.

It looks like there is no flashlighting on your set, which is excellent. The other pictures show what is generally seen on the majority of LCD panels. As you noted, when watching actual content on a TV our impressions may differ from what we think when viewing only test images.
post #12 of 271 Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow if there is really no light bleed on this set then I will be buying for sure. ..Does anyone else have thos tv or can share any pics of this thing in a dark room??
post #13 of 271 Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0887 View Post

Wow if there is really no light bleed on this set then I will be buying for sure. ..Does anyone else have thos tv or can share any pics of this thing in a dark room??

I wouldn't assume that every one of these TVs has no light bleed. I think he just got a good one, although I'd love to be proven wrong about this. Mine is being delivered tomorrow.
post #14 of 271 Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Please LMK how you like it once its delivered tomorrow?? I have until this weekend to return my LG LA6200 because of light bleed and am heavily concidering this set as a replacement.. Any pics you could post would be greatly appreciated... Thank you...
post #15 of 271 Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM

OK, here are my impressions of my newly received 58" E60.

The good: Really excellent black levels. I don't have the instruments to actually take measurements, but the blacks look extremely dark and solid for an LCD, and even compared to some inexpensive plasma sets I've owned.

I know the L60 series is not supposed to have IPS panels, but the off angle viewing is as good or better than many other IPS TVs I've owned in the past. I kinda think they slipped IPS panels in anyway!wink.gif

The bad: I don't have what is usually known as flashlighting or light bleeding. The one thing I do have is a very small area in the bottom left corner of the screen where the pixels glow brighter than the rest. The area is maybe and inch by less than a quarter inch. Oddly, its not noticeable on black or dark screens but is more easily seen on lighter colored program material.

From what I'm seeing on my set, probably the biggest negative is visible DSE (dirty screen effect) on very light colored backgrounds. The DSE is noticeable as faint, shadowy vertical lines. I noticed them while watching an animated movie that had many scenes in the white snow and also noticed the problem on the ice during hockey games. It is not noticeable on other, darker kinds of program material. I don't want to put too much emphasis on this problem. It is there and it is noticeable but its not a dealbreaker, at least for me. I can easily look past it.

After trying all the different picture modes and a couple of suggested calibration values, I find the default Cinema Mode to look the best. The only change I made was turning the Motion Picture Setting to "Off".

I've always said that no TV is perfect and each person needs to decide what features are important to him as well as what compromises he can live with. For me, this Panasonic LCD is a keeper. I've owned a LOT of TVs over the years and this is among the top 2 or 3 LCD sets that I've owned. I think the vast of majority of folks would be more than happy with it.
Hyp Toad likes this.
post #16 of 271 Old 09-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the insight. The 58" Panny E60 is at the top of my short list at the moment. Just holding out a bit longer for a deal to pop. cool.gif
post #17 of 271 Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM

Thank you very much for all that info...Do you have any pics u can share?
post #18 of 271 Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0887 View Post

Thank you very much for all that info...Do you have any pics u can share?
Sorry, no pics. I'm not sure pics would show things any clearer than I described. The "flaws" I mentioned are more easily seen in person.
post #19 of 271 Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM

That's cool man I really appreciate your I'm depth and hosent review...Sounds like this tv will make a nice addition to my bedroom
post #20 of 271 Old 09-19-2013, 11:37 AM

I've pretty much decided on this TV. I'll be getting it from Amazon Oct 1 when my 5% cash back rewards on my credit card kick in. I can wait 12 days to save $50.

After all my research it just comes down to value. For the size and quality, there's just no comparison at $1,000.
post #21 of 271 Old 09-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 10
I just bought a TC-50LE64 today from Costco. I went in to buy a different unit then saw this one had a $200 instant Mfg rebate, liked it better overall, and pulled the trigger. I'll be setting it up here this evening. I'm really looking forward to what it has to offer.
post #22 of 271 Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Remember to disable stupid ad default screen.......................http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57588584-221/turn-off-banner-ads-on-your-2013-panasonic-tv/
post #23 of 271 Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 AM

Please post impressions guys! I'm ordering Tuesday from Amazon unless something else drops in front of me as a better option. Right now it's the Panasonic or wait until Black Friday for something like the Sony 60" 550a.
post #24 of 271 Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For those of you NOT wanting the "SmartTV/Apps", there's the EM60(39 & 50-inch), which can be had for considerably less $$. http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L50EM60
post #25 of 271 Old 09-28-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

http://shop.panasonic.com/compare/?itemNbr=TC-L50E60&itemNbr=TC-L50EM60

About a $200 price diff between the 2. If 1 has Apple TV/Roku or Smart Blu-Ray then it would be a smart choice to opt for the EM-60.......With the $ saved by hdmi switcher. IMO 2 or 3 hdmi is NOT enough.......
post #26 of 271 Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Added the EM-60 to the thread. Only diff is 1 less hdmi & no smart viera tv functionality. It also has "Game Mode" vs the E-60 which has "Home Theater" setting instead. The bezel on the 50-inch version for the EM is .2 inches wider than the E60.

Any gamers tested input lag yet? Wondering if the game setting on EM is better? Since it has a dedicated setting.................
post #27 of 271 Old 09-29-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Any gamers tested input lag yet? Wondering if the game setting on EM is better? Since it has a dedicated setting.................

I have the E60 58" and use it almost exclusively for watching football/movies and gaming. I haven't done an actual input lag test but I'm incredibly sensitive to input lag (I've sent multiple sets back for it before) and with game mode enabled have had absolutely no problems with it on the E60. BF3, CoD, Super Meat Boy, House of the Dead w/ PS Move... Test pretty much every twitchy thing where input lag would show its ugly head and haven't had any problems.
post #28 of 271 Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernewb View Post

I have the E60 58" and use it almost exclusively for watching football/movies and gaming. I haven't done an actual input lag test but I'm incredibly sensitive to input lag (I've sent multiple sets back for it before) and with game mode enabled have had absolutely no problems with it on the E60. BF3, CoD, Super Meat Boy, House of the Dead w/ PS Move... Test pretty much every twitchy thing where input lag would show its ugly head and haven't had any problems.

The E60 actually has a game mode? I thought it didn't. Great news if it does!
post #29 of 271 Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

I just helped my father in law install a TC-58LE64 yesterday, and I was very impressed with the out of the box picture. I had to do some rough adjustments to tone down contrast and sharpness, but man, what a great looking screen. I'm going to give it a month or two, but I'm going to go back and do some basic calibrations on it later on. When any of you get to that point I'd be interested to hear what numbers you come up with.
post #30 of 271 Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 AM

Liked: 11
I purchased the TC-L58E60 two weeks ago from Best Buy and I am very happy with this TV. I originally intended to get a Samsung, either F7100 or F8000. However, the Panny's and Samsungs were on display next to each other and I really preferred the Panasonic display. Also, it was much cheaper and doesn't have the 3D, which is something I am not interested in at this time.

I'm surprised that this is the official thread and there are only 29 replies? ...

Anyway, a friend of mine also bought the same set after he found out I bought it smile.gif He uses it more for gaming/Xbox and stated he is very happy that there is no input lag, as was present with an older Panasonic.

I primarily stream content to the TV from a PC, or use Netflix or Youtube. The only thing I really watch on regular TV is football and HD on this set is great. For the presets, Cinema is the one I like best. Vivid looks weird, but everyone has their own taste.

Just noticed a new update was available for the set 2.720 - not sure what is included in that.

One thing I wish the TV had was the ability to swivel horizontally. But I found a solution for that - search for Single Tier Swivel XL on Target, Walmart, Amazon .. etc.

For less than $1000, I think it's hard to find anything that will beat that.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc L58e60 58 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Panasonic Tc L50e60 50 Inch Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - L50e60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page