LG 47" LCD - Son complaining of headaches - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-04-2013, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've noticed a disturbing trend since we bought our new LG LCD TV last November - my 9 year old son has begun to complain (quite frequently) about headaches.

Now we're not one of those families that let their kids watch TV whenever they want so rest assured his TV time is as limited as is practical but especially after movies (3D or not) he will say that he has a headache. We took him to the eye doctor, nothing wrong with his eyesight.

I am wondering is the TV too bright and it's causing him eye strain? I've tried to turn down the brightness but I confess I'm not doing a very good job of checking to see if that setting is still active when we start the movie.

Here is the TV we have :

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47CM565-lcd-tv

No one else in the house is complaining of headaches (11 yo daughter, 4 yo son (probably too young to notice), wife, me).

Any ideas? It seems to be fairly directly tied to this TV - he has an iPod Touch - no complaints there and we had a 50" DLP TV before last November and he never complained about it (although the bulb was going bad and that TV was REALLY dark)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
try lowering the backlight and using the cinema or isf expert1/2 picture mode and place a bias light behind the TV for nighttime viewing

also, consider not using the 3D mode too frequently

most likely, the TV is currently set too bright and it's just causing eyestrain as result
post #3 of 4 Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

place a bias light behind the TV for nighttime viewing

hm, interesting - is it worthwhile to just throw a table lamp behind the TV to see if that helps? I've researched the bias light a bit and it seems everyone is suggesting solutions that would cost at least a hundred dollars to implement...as we are moving houses in two months I have little appetite for extensive projects.

I used the expert setting and lowered the brightness to 20 - again, I haven't been real careful about making sure the TV is not defaulting back to a brighter setting.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

hm, interesting - is it worthwhile to just throw a table lamp behind the TV to see if that helps? I've researched the bias light a bit and it seems everyone is suggesting solutions that would cost at least a hundred dollars to implement...as we are moving houses in two months I have little appetite for extensive projects.

I used the expert setting and lowered the brightness to 20 - again, I haven't been real careful about making sure the TV is not defaulting back to a brighter setting.

you can use an ordinary desk lamp (like a clip on) and attach it to the back of your TV stand and just put a cheap 6500K CFL bulb in it (preferably with the highest CRI you can find)... this solution can be about $10

this is what my DIY solution looks like (see above)

as far as the TV's picture settings go, the 'brightness' setting only adjust the brightness of black and lowering that will not make the overall image darker but will kill shadow detail and make the dark parts of the image become a solid black blob (aka black crush or black clipping)

lowering the backlight is the best way to dim the image on an LCD (or LED-LCD) and the next thing to check is that contrast isn't set too high as it can make the brightest parts of the image lose detail and become a solid white blob (aka white crush or white clipping)

you can set brightness and contrast correctly with a basic setup/calibration BD or DVD and backlight can then be set to taste to make the overall image bright enough but not so bright as to create eyestrain

one more setting that affects overall image brightness is gamma... not much you can do with this setting without calibration equipment like meters/software but choosing the right picture mode on your set helps immensely (which is Cinema or ISF Expert 1/2 on your LG LCD)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lh90
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page