Sony Announces XBR-55X850A and XBR-65X850A - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 132 Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post


Better than this Samsung eh?



 

What is this samsung? If it's the 4k, it gave me a head ache in 3d...

Also the simulated 3d, did not make me very hard.

quovadis123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 132 Old 10-05-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Also the simulated 3d, did not make me very hard.

Uhhhhhh...what were you watching?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #93 of 132 Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sonyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saint Louis. MO
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Uhhhhhh...what were you watching?

Lmao!!
Sonyboy is online now  
post #94 of 132 Old 10-05-2013, 05:47 PM
VGI
Advanced Member
 
VGI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Guys

I spent some more time with my 65X850A today.. I have a Samsung 65F8000 sitting right next to it. Well actually its more like on top of it. I will post pics. I have the Samsung on a wall unit and the XBR sitting on the floor at the moment to compare.

Today we watched some recorded HD content off my Directv HR24 and the picture is so freaking smooth and silky I cant begin to tell you. The Standard setting on the Sony is Plasma Like. Warm and cozy and yes it doesn't Pop off the screen like the Samsung but it relaxes you and lets you enjoy watching TV without hurting your eyes.

Being a Sony dealer for a very long time and loving their stuff in the old days, Keep in mind for the last 5 years I have been leery about installing their products until the last year or so. Pioneer Elites were our thing back in the day and Panasonic Plasmas have been great for years but as my customers want LED's we didn't have a choice but to start to sell them LED's that we found decent. Problem is there aren't many. We have been selling and installing Sony's and Samsungs and some LG but people love the Sony name. After playing with this X850 all day today and the last few days I can honestly say , I am blown away.

I have not adjusted the picture settings at all. I am simply playing with it out of the box to see what it can do with no tweaking.

The motion blur is nonexistent. I am watching some content with decent motion and I am telling you I see no stuttering or motion issues. I can tell you that my Samsung F8000 no matter what anyone tells you 100% does have motion issues. You can make all the setting changes in the world and you can get it down to a minimum but they are still there.

I have been giving samsung as much opportunity as I can as my customers want them and they love the design as they are super thin and physically look great. Ultimately I want to sell what my customers want but they listen to me sometimes and when I see a picture like this I can speak with enthusiasm and get them excited as I am excited about this Sony TV.

People are asking me is it better than the X900 and for me the answer is Yes Yes Yes. Why you ask ?

Okay here is why. This started a few months ago when I brought home a 55W900 for myself for my bedroom and couldn't believe what the picture looked like. The 55W900 I felt was the best LED TV I have ever seen. Its not just me. Cnet and other review sites felt the same. It was an active 3D set which led me to believe the panel was not made by LG which many people believe Sony was using for their Passive sets such as the XBR900 and a few others. What I am saying is this. I had a XBR65X900 4K and i actually enjoyed the 55W900 picture much more. The Colors on the 55W900 were smooth and silky like the new X850 which by the way is Active which leads me to believe its the same panel manufacturer as the W900 probably Samsung or Sharp.

I need to spend some time with adjusting colors and other settings to really dial it in and I am hoping for some others to start tweaking as well so we can share settings.

So with just a few days with this TV so far I am very happy. Very very happy !

More to follow
Craig
VGI is offline  
post #95 of 132 Old 10-05-2013, 06:14 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Britain, CT
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After watching some 4k movies and content I am completely blown away. I am coming from a zt60 that I was not satisfied with the image retention. I was very nervous about going back to 120hz television from a plasma, and I see no motion blur problems whatsoever. Along with that, surprisingly good black levels. I love how the black bars during the movie blend it with the bezel of the TV. Only thing I am disappointed so far is in the media box, not every movie can be rented for the 7.99 price, most of them have to be purchased.



Will be spending tomorrow working on cable management...
mcarozza is offline  
post #96 of 132 Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarozza View Post

After watching some 4k movies and content I am completely blown away. I am coming from a zt60 that I was not satisfied with the image retention. I was very nervous about going back to 120hz television from a plasma, and I see no motion blur problems whatsoever. Along with that, surprisingly good black levels. I love how the black bars during the movie blend it with the bezel of the TV. Only thing I am disappointed so far is in the media box, not every movie can be rented for the 7.99 price, most of them have to be purchased.



Will be spending tomorrow working on cable management...

Holy crap man. I have the same story, but I went with the 900 since the 850 did not exist yet. I too had image retention issues with the ZT60. My fiancée loves watching football, so we did the 150 hour break in period and then she watched one full game on the NFL Network. The logo stayed on the screen for an entire week, then I could barely see it at all. But to me that was a deal breaker. If I am going to enjoy a new TV, I don't want retained images being on the screen when enjoying other content. So I decided to go with the 900.

BTW...Congrats on the new set.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is online now  
post #97 of 132 Old 10-06-2013, 07:29 AM
VGI
Advanced Member
 
VGI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Guys

I watched this thing all night and i really love the smoothness but I
Questioning the green push. I can't adjust the colors to be vivid and pop. It seems like the whites and reds just won't come out. I have the f8000 right with it and the colors on the samsung I can't seem to match on the 850.

Again the picture smoothness is incredible but I feel a little
Bored without the popping picture.

I am almost tempted to drag my 55w900 next to it to see if I am crazy or I just can't get the colors to work for me..

The x900s colors were popping off the screen when I had it like the f8000.

This seems a little sedate?
VGI is offline  
post #98 of 132 Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Britain, CT
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel like the colors were really "popping" while watching movies. I am using the calibration settings from the X900 forum. I am going to play around with them to see if I like something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

Guys

I watched this thing all night and i really love the smoothness but I
Questioning the green push. I can't adjust the colors to be vivid and pop. It seems like the whites and reds just won't come out. I have the f8000 right with it and the colors on the samsung I can't seem to match on the 850.

Again the picture smoothness is incredible but I feel a little
Bored without the popping picture.

I am almost tempted to drag my 55w900 next to it to see if I am crazy or I just can't get the colors to work for me..

The x900s colors were popping off the screen when I had it like the f8000.

This seems a little sedate?
mcarozza is offline  
post #99 of 132 Old 10-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

GAWD!!!

how many times do i have to say the x9 is far superior!!!!

quovadis123 is offline  
post #100 of 132 Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Newbie
 
fatpizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have there been any tests done regarding the input lag in the X850? I'm leaning towards sticking with the 1080p W900A with the idea of upgrading to 4K in a couple of years, but if the input lag is as good on the X850 I might get that instead.
fatpizza is offline  
post #101 of 132 Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Newbie
 
wanbushui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I waited for the active 3D and USB 2.0, as I have SOny's newest ES receiver as well.

15.gif

wanbushui is offline  
post #102 of 132 Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Member
 
starchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: laguna niguel, ca
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post


The x900s colors were popping off the screen when I had it like the f8000.

This seems a little sedate?

This is my same sentament about this set. I'm not getting the wow what a picture feeling. I'm getting the that's pretty good feeling. Im still deciding on a set, and thought the x900 had a decent wow factor. But I didn't want the speakers and wider profile TV. Thought this would be the set for me. I know lots of people here are lovin this set. I don't know if I don't know what a good picture is or just focused on bright vibrant colors. To me I seem to prefer the bright vibrant colors, even though they may not be film or movie spectrum. I have a Sony xbr-hx950 that I think is vibrant and popping. I guess I'm looking for something close to that. So far the Samsung and Panasonic 4k seem to be closer to my 950. Though the Samsung takes a lashing here as most seem to feel its not a quality TV. To early to tell on the panny just yet. I will have to spend more time at the TV shops to get comfortable with my purchase. I value opinions here, but at times feel my decision making takes a set back the more I learn here. Info overload? Anyways I just expected more vibrance from the 850 like my 950xbr.
starchild is offline  
post #103 of 132 Old 10-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Member
 
OneStepAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post

I may of found a solution to get in sync and 5.1 optical out from this TV. It will be here today and I'll report back my findings. This box takes 5.1 optical audio out of hdmi. I just hope it does it instantly with no delay.

This adapter didn't work as it doesn't support ARC. If you're looking to run a Soundbar with your TV and want 5.1 you'll need the more expensive monoprice hdmi switch that supports arc and has optical out. Ultimately I just hooked up a Yamaha RV-A3000 I had laying around and used that to feed hdmi audio from the TV to my speakers.

Regarding the "pop" difference between the 850 and the 900, pretty sure that goes without saying. A true glossy display like the 900 is always going to pop more than the "high gloss matte" display the 850 has. For me it comes at too great a price, those ugly speakers and the light reflection off the glass. Maybe they'll make an 875 that combines the two TVs!

Flew out to Vegas last week, McCarren Airport has 2 LG 84" 4Ks on display when you get to the bottom of the escalators before boarding the tram. Looked pretty nice, not as huge as I thought they'd be. I could definitely put one of those in my livingroom!

Edit: LOL'd at my signature. I must of thought those tuners were hot back in 05. How do you change your sig?

AVerMedia AVerTVHDÂ MCE A180 & MSI Theater 550Pro PCI Tuners
OneStepAhead is offline  
post #104 of 132 Old 10-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Member
 
OneStepAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since there are several owners on here now I've created an owners thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread

AVerMedia AVerTVHDÂ MCE A180 & MSI Theater 550Pro PCI Tuners
OneStepAhead is offline  
post #105 of 132 Old 10-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Member
 
m61376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I looked at both these sets (as well as the Samsung F9000 and the new Panasonic 4K). I found the Sony sets better than the Panasonic and Samsung (I didn't like the Panasonic- looked "dull" for lack of a better description) and the Samsung, while it looked great, def. had more motion blur which I noticed even when watching a football game. Talking with the Magnolia salespeople at Bestbuy (for what that's worth), they had also noticed the same issue, although the Samsung otherwise really looked good.

So then I pent a long time comparing the two Sony sets, and felt the same way that had already been described by others. A Sony rep happened to be at the store, and mentioned that the 900 displays were older sets, and that the newer ones were being shipped with updated software, which the 850 display models already have, so that the new 900's would have the picture tweaks that the 850's have in the store. Not really sure about the significance of that, but that's what I was told.

More importantly was something I discovered and hasn't been really addressed (at least from what I've read). Admittedly I'm really a neophyte here, so this may be something that is more commonly known, but I wanted to post it in case it affects others. As posted above, the 3D is active on the 850 and passive on the 900. So I decided I wanted to check out the difference. I considered 3D "bells and whistles" that I wouldn't really use, but found it mesmerizing. That said, I could watch the passive 3D without any issue, but within minutes of looking at the active got really sick. Looking into it, besides headaches reported by others, the flickering on the active 3D can cause a motion sickness type reaction in some people. While I can drive or ride in a car without an issue, I can't read in a car or even a plane, so I guess I'm more susceptible, but I found my response interesting and wouldn't have realized it if I wasn't comparing the two sets.
m61376 is offline  
post #106 of 132 Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Britain, CT
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered the Oppo 103d, should have it in a few weeks. Curious how the 4K up scaler inside the bluray player will play out. Very excited and will post about it when I have it.
mcarozza is offline  
post #107 of 132 Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by m61376 View Post

I looked at both these sets (as well as the Samsung F9000 and the new Panasonic 4K). I found the Sony sets better than the Panasonic and Samsung (I didn't like the Panasonic- looked "dull" for lack of a better description) and the Samsung, while it looked great, def. had more motion blur which I noticed even when watching a football game. Talking with the Magnolia salespeople at Bestbuy (for what that's worth), they had also noticed the same issue, although the Samsung otherwise really looked good.

So then I pent a long time comparing the two Sony sets, and felt the same way that had already been described by others. A Sony rep happened to be at the store, and mentioned that the 900 displays were older sets, and that the newer ones were being shipped with updated software, which the 850 display models already have, so that the new 900's would have the picture tweaks that the 850's have in the store. Not really sure about the significance of that, but that's what I was told.

More importantly was something I discovered and hasn't been really addressed (at least from what I've read). Admittedly I'm really a neophyte here, so this may be something that is more commonly known, but I wanted to post it in case it affects others. As posted above, the 3D is active on the 850 and passive on the 900. So I decided I wanted to check out the difference. I considered 3D "bells and whistles" that I wouldn't really use, but found it mesmerizing. That said, I could watch the passive 3D without any issue, but within minutes of looking at the active got really sick. Looking into it, besides headaches reported by others, the flickering on the active 3D can cause a motion sickness type reaction in some people. While I can drive or ride in a car without an issue, I can't read in a car or even a plane, so I guess I'm more susceptible, but I found my response interesting and wouldn't have realized it if I wasn't comparing the two sets.

Hi there..

this topic has been beaten to death ...especially if you go to the XBR 900 thread.

Everyone concludes the following :

 

1. the x900 is the best tv to date

2. the passive 3 d and simulated 3d are AMAZING.

3. THE 850 lacks "pop" "wow" INTENSITY.

4. passive 3d is soo much better than active.(flickering, head aches, expensive glasses, batteries)

 

I have not seen the Panasonic, but The x900 beats all the other 4k tv's hands down.

quovadis123 is offline  
post #108 of 132 Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Member
 
m61376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Hi there..
this topic has been beaten to death ...especially if you go to the XBR 900 thread.
Everyone concludes the following :

1. the x900 is the best tv to date
2. the passive 3 d and simulated 3d are AMAZING.
3. THE 850 lacks "pop" "wow" INTENSITY.
4. passive 3d is soo much better than active.(flickering, head aches, expensive glasses, batteries)

I have not seen the Panasonic, but The x900 beats all the other 4k tv's hands down.

I know the comparisons were- the point I was trying to make (which is something I didn't see in a cursory glance over the forum) is that some people actually get something akin to motion sickness when watching active 3D- not a headache, but extreme nausea, presumably from the flickering. Although I did find some mention of it after Googling it, I know the salesperson at the Magnolia store at least hadn't heard of that reaction.

I just wanted to make anyone who has any sort of motion sickness- even if that they just can't read in a moving vehicle, which is the extent of mine- that the active 3D may be an issue for them.
m61376 is offline  
post #109 of 132 Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by m61376 View Post


I know the comparisons were- the point I was trying to make (which is something I didn't see in a cursory glance over the forum) is that some people actually get something akin to motion sickness when watching active 3D- not a headache, but extreme nausea, presumably from the flickering. Although I did find some mention of it after Googling it, I know the salesperson at the Magnolia store at least hadn't heard of that reaction.

I just wanted to make anyone who has any sort of motion sickness- even if that they just can't read in a moving vehicle, which is the extent of mine- that the active 3D may be an issue for them.

Well both my wife and I feel motion sickness after 5 minutes of watching active 3d. We get it worse on the samsung tv's.

We both watch passive 3d at home...no problems what so ever.

Apparently Vizio's passive 3d is also extremely good. Not many tv's have the passive system.

quovadis123 is offline  
post #110 of 132 Old 10-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
HDPERSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by m61376 View Post

I know the comparisons were- the point I was trying to make (which is something I didn't see in a cursory glance over the forum) is that some people actually get something akin to motion sickness when watching active 3D- not a headache, but extreme nausea, presumably from the flickering. Although I did find some mention of it after Googling it, I know the salesperson at the Magnolia store at least hadn't heard of that reaction.

I just wanted to make anyone who has any sort of motion sickness- even if that they just can't read in a moving vehicle, which is the extent of mine- that the active 3D may be an issue for them.

Active 3d will give you headaches and motion sickness. Ask any good eye doctor and he will tell you that with each eye of the glasses opening and closing 60 times a second puts a great amount of strain on you eye muscles. Passive is more natural as each eye is given a picture and your brain puts it together as it does in real life for 3D.
HDPERSON is offline  
post #111 of 132 Old 10-12-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarozza View Post

Ordered the Oppo 103d, should have it in a few weeks. Curious how the 4K up scaler inside the bluray player will play out. Very excited and will post about it when I have it.


Your tv already upscales to 4K. I doubt you will see any difference using your Oppo. Technically it is a useless feature on the oppo since all 4K tv's already upscale. It's more of a marketing gimmick.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #112 of 132 Old 11-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Newbie
 
jimwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have the W900A purchased for 2k when on sale, hard to top it. Had a X900 and my issue is cosmetic. All the beauty rings around the speakers look cheap and scratched up right out of the box. Put a good flashlight on them. Looks like they were installed by a 2 year old. Really Sony on a 4K TV ? That's all you could come up with ? When will they quit using piano black plastic that scratches when you look at it. I returned it the X900. I also have a XBR 950 another hard to top set. When I watch the W900A I have a hard time justifying the 4K. I ordered the X850A, will see.

jimwho is offline  
post #113 of 132 Old 11-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Newbie
 
humming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Gotta agree.  I had an XBR-55HX950 that developed some stuck/dead pixels (a whole bunch of them) in the middle of the TV.  Nice, eh?  God I loved the black levels on that full array, local dimming TV.  Anyhoo, life goes on.  Sony offered XBR-55X850A as a replacement, which I received a few days ago.  Could not believe, still can't believe, that Sony replaced my high contrast (full array, local dimming) model that was a monolithic design (solid gorilla glass front from corner to corner) with this X850A.  For those that don't know, the X850 picture is rather dull and not all that bright actually, not compared to my outgoing HX950.  And the bezel is plastic actually.  Oh, and the screen is matte, like a cheap old-school computer monitor.  And it does definitely lack pop.  I've been comparing it not only to the HX950 I just had to part with but with the X900A in the local store.  After many many hours on the phone with Sony regional and national over the last several days, and after paying a few hundred dollars extra, I finally am having the X850 swapped out for X900A.  Having the glass design aesthetic of X900A with opticontrast panel (not deep black panel) and passive 3D beats the plastic, dull looking matte finish of X850 any day.  Also, any one else surprised at the on/off switch on X850A? - to me, it sounds kinda cheap.

humming is offline  
post #114 of 132 Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Member
 
bjorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got a 65X850A installed with the media player. I would have preferred the X900 with passive 3D, but the set needed to be installed into a pre-existing enclosure. That said, the 4K looks really, really good! However, the black levels, not so much. My previous set was a Sharp Elite with local dimming. When watching movies, the horizontal black bars totally vanished on the Elite whereas they remain faintly visible on the Sony.

My question is, what screen adjustments are you running to get the best picture out of this set? It looks quite good, but I'm sure it's not optimal yet. I don't expect to ever have the amazing contrast of the Elite, but I expect it to do much better once I tweak the factory settings!

Abstract yourself!
bjorg is offline  
post #115 of 132 Old 11-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Member
 
bjorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Now that I have used the set for a few days, I've been able to dial in a picture that I find attractive. However, I've noticed a rather distracting negative. When the display goes black with the backlight on, I can see like "clouds" where the display is not as dark at other areas. These aren't small clouds either. They are about the size of an adult hand.

My question is that kind of clouding acceptable or should I replace the set with a new one?

Thanks.

Abstract yourself!
bjorg is offline  
post #116 of 132 Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Member
 
laakness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have some of that clouding on my 900 as well. I think it's a part of the technology...not sure if it ever completely goes away. I've found turning the brightness down helps some.
laakness is offline  
post #117 of 132 Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Member
 
dan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montreal
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It seems that all lcd/led tv's have some sort of clouding, i am sure its the tech, I have never seen a screen that is 100% perfect..... I am ok with a little bit of it... if it can only be seen in the credits who cares...
dan007 is offline  
post #118 of 132 Old 11-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Member
 
dan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montreal
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

Guys

I spent some more time with my 65X850A today.. I have a Samsung 65F8000 sitting right next to it. Well actually its more like on top of it. I will post pics. I have the Samsung on a wall unit and the XBR sitting on the floor at the moment to compare.

Today we watched some recorded HD content off my Directv HR24 and the picture is so freaking smooth and silky I cant begin to tell you. The Standard setting on the Sony is Plasma Like. Warm and cozy and yes it doesn't Pop off the screen like the Samsung but it relaxes you and lets you enjoy watching TV without hurting your eyes.

Being a Sony dealer for a very long time and loving their stuff in the old days, Keep in mind for the last 5 years I have been leery about installing their products until the last year or so. Pioneer Elites were our thing back in the day and Panasonic Plasmas have been great for years but as my customers want LED's we didn't have a choice but to start to sell them LED's that we found decent. Problem is there aren't many. We have been selling and installing Sony's and Samsungs and some LG but people love the Sony name. After playing with this X850 all day today and the last few days I can honestly say , I am blown away.

I have not adjusted the picture settings at all. I am simply playing with it out of the box to see what it can do with no tweaking.

The motion blur is nonexistent. I am watching some content with decent motion and I am telling you I see no stuttering or motion issues. I can tell you that my Samsung F8000 no matter what anyone tells you 100% does have motion issues. You can make all the setting changes in the world and you can get it down to a minimum but they are still there.

I have been giving samsung as much opportunity as I can as my customers want them and they love the design as they are super thin and physically look great. Ultimately I want to sell what my customers want but they listen to me sometimes and when I see a picture like this I can speak with enthusiasm and get them excited as I am excited about this Sony TV.

People are asking me is it better than the X900 and for me the answer is Yes Yes Yes. Why you ask ?

Okay here is why. This started a few months ago when I brought home a 55W900 for myself for my bedroom and couldn't believe what the picture looked like. The 55W900 I felt was the best LED TV I have ever seen. Its not just me. Cnet and other review sites felt the same. It was an active 3D set which led me to believe the panel was not made by LG which many people believe Sony was using for their Passive sets such as the XBR900 and a few others. What I am saying is this. I had a XBR65X900 4K and i actually enjoyed the 55W900 picture much more. The Colors on the 55W900 were smooth and silky like the new X850 which by the way is Active which leads me to believe its the same panel manufacturer as the W900 probably Samsung or Sharp.

I need to spend some time with adjusting colors and other settings to really dial it in and I am hoping for some others to start tweaking as well so we can share settings.

So with just a few days with this TV so far I am very happy. Very very happy !

More to follow
Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

Guys

I spent some more time with my 65X850A today.. I have a Samsung 65F8000 sitting right next to it. Well actually its more like on top of it. I will post pics. I have the Samsung on a wall unit and the XBR sitting on the floor at the moment to compare.

Today we watched some recorded HD content off my Directv HR24 and the picture is so freaking smooth and silky I cant begin to tell you. The Standard setting on the Sony is Plasma Like. Warm and cozy and yes it doesn't Pop off the screen like the Samsung but it relaxes you and lets you enjoy watching TV without hurting your eyes.

Being a Sony dealer for a very long time and loving their stuff in the old days, Keep in mind for the last 5 years I have been leery about installing their products until the last year or so. Pioneer Elites were our thing back in the day and Panasonic Plasmas have been great for years but as my customers want LED's we didn't have a choice but to start to sell them LED's that we found decent. Problem is there aren't many. We have been selling and installing Sony's and Samsungs and some LG but people love the Sony name. After playing with this X850 all day today and the last few days I can honestly say , I am blown away.

I have not adjusted the picture settings at all. I am simply playing with it out of the box to see what it can do with no tweaking.

The motion blur is nonexistent. I am watching some content with decent motion and I am telling you I see no stuttering or motion issues. I can tell you that my Samsung F8000 no matter what anyone tells you 100% does have motion issues. You can make all the setting changes in the world and you can get it down to a minimum but they are still there.

I have been giving samsung as much opportunity as I can as my customers want them and they love the design as they are super thin and physically look great. Ultimately I want to sell what my customers want but they listen to me sometimes and when I see a picture like this I can speak with enthusiasm and get them excited as I am excited about this Sony TV.

People are asking me is it better than the X900 and for me the answer is Yes Yes Yes. Why you ask ?

Okay here is why. This started a few months ago when I brought home a 55W900 for myself for my bedroom and couldn't believe what the picture looked like. The 55W900 I felt was the best LED TV I have ever seen. Its not just me. Cnet and other review sites felt the same. It was an active 3D set which led me to believe the panel was not made by LG which many people believe Sony was using for their Passive sets such as the XBR900 and a few others. What I am saying is this. I had a XBR65X900 4K and i actually enjoyed the 55W900 picture much more. The Colors on the 55W900 were smooth and silky like the new X850 which by the way is Active which leads me to believe its the same panel manufacturer as the W900 probably Samsung or Sharp.

I need to spend some time with adjusting colors and other settings to really dial it in and I am hoping for some others to start tweaking as well so we can share settings.

So with just a few days with this TV so far I am very happy. Very very happy !

More to follow
Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

Guys

I spent some more time with my 65X850A today.. I have a Samsung 65F8000 sitting right next to it. Well actually its more like on top of it. I will post pics. I have the Samsung on a wall unit and the XBR sitting on the floor at the moment to compare.

Today we watched some recorded HD content off my Directv HR24 and the picture is so freaking smooth and silky I cant begin to tell you. The Standard setting on the Sony is Plasma Like. Warm and cozy and yes it doesn't Pop off the screen like the Samsung but it relaxes you and lets you enjoy watching TV without hurting your eyes.

Being a Sony dealer for a very long time and loving their stuff in the old days, Keep in mind for the last 5 years I have been leery about installing their products until the last year or so. Pioneer Elites were our thing back in the day and Panasonic Plasmas have been great for years but as my customers want LED's we didn't have a choice but to start to sell them LED's that we found decent. Problem is there aren't many. We have been selling and installing Sony's and Samsungs and some LG but people love the Sony name. After playing with this X850 all day today and the last few days I can honestly say , I am blown away.

I have not adjusted the picture settings at all. I am simply playing with it out of the box to see what it can do with no tweaking.

The motion blur is nonexistent. I am watching some content with decent motion and I am telling you I see no stuttering or motion issues. I can tell you that my Samsung F8000 no matter what anyone tells you 100% does have motion issues. You can make all the setting changes in the world and you can get it down to a minimum but they are still there.

I have been giving samsung as much opportunity as I can as my customers want them and they love the design as they are super thin and physically look great. Ultimately I want to sell what my customers want but they listen to me sometimes and when I see a picture like this I can speak with enthusiasm and get them excited as I am excited about this Sony TV.

People are asking me is it better than the X900 and for me the answer is Yes Yes Yes. Why you ask ?

Okay here is why. This started a few months ago when I brought home a 55W900 for myself for my bedroom and couldn't believe what the picture looked like. The 55W900 I felt was the best LED TV I have ever seen. Its not just me. Cnet and other review sites felt the same. It was an active 3D set which led me to believe the panel was not made by LG which many people believe Sony was using for their Passive sets such as the XBR900 and a few others. What I am saying is this. I had a XBR65X900 4K and i actually enjoyed the 55W900 picture much more. The Colors on the 55W900 were smooth and silky like the new X850 which by the way is Active which leads me to believe its the same panel manufacturer as the W900 probably Samsung or Sharp.

I need to spend some time with adjusting colors and other settings to really dial it in and I am hoping for some others to start tweaking as well so we can share settings.

So with just a few days with this TV so far I am very happy. Very very happy !

More to follow
Craig

It seems I made the right choice in getting the 55w900 also for my bedroom, have you gamed on your set by any chance? I will be getting a ps4 on Friday and the tv is coming in on thursday.....
dan007 is offline  
post #119 of 132 Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Senior Member
 
vaxick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Given this set is a matte, has anybody with clouding attempted the paint roller trick that worked shockingly well on Sharp displays?
vaxick is offline  
post #120 of 132 Old 11-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Newbie
 
jimwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

OK I picked up 2 PS4s. One is hooked up to my KDLW900A and the other to a XBR55X850A. If I turn on off the 850A it automatically turns off the PS4 and makes it check the HD when it boots back up and warns me about unplugging the PS4. I have checked and the HDMI sync is turned off on both the PS4 and the 850A. My W900A is set up the same way and doesn't auto shut off my PS4 through HDMI.

 

I flipped systems and its the XBR that is the culprit. Even with everything, off it shuts down my PS4, annoying. Ok yes answer is simple, turn off PS4 1st. But I'm OCD and that doesn't work for me. So I guess at this point it leads me to believe my XBR is not disabling the HDMI sync.

 

With the PS4 off and turning on and off the XBR, I can hear the PS4 power switch clicking every time I fire up or shut down the PS4. Not the case on the W900.

 

Any answers ? I'm stuck.

jimwho is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off