Sony Announces XBR-55X850A and XBR-65X850A - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 132 Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Correction I hear the PS4 power switch when I turn off and on the XBR. Even with PS4 off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 11-24-2013, 10:18 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

Guys

I spent some more time with my 65X850A today.. I have a Samsung 65F8000 sitting right next to it. Well actually its more like on top of it. I will post pics. I have the Samsung on a wall unit and the XBR sitting on the floor at the moment to compare.

Today we watched some recorded HD content off my Directv HR24 and the picture is so freaking smooth and silky I cant begin to tell you. The Standard setting on the Sony is Plasma Like. Warm and cozy and yes it doesn't Pop off the screen like the Samsung but it relaxes you and lets you enjoy watching TV without hurting your eyes.

Being a Sony dealer for a very long time and loving their stuff in the old days, Keep in mind for the last 5 years I have been leery about installing their products until the last year or so. Pioneer Elites were our thing back in the day and Panasonic Plasmas have been great for years but as my customers want LED's we didn't have a choice but to start to sell them LED's that we found decent. Problem is there aren't many. We have been selling and installing Sony's and Samsungs and some LG but people love the Sony name. After playing with this X850 all day today and the last few days I can honestly say , I am blown away.

I have not adjusted the picture settings at all. I am simply playing with it out of the box to see what it can do with no tweaking.

The motion blur is nonexistent. I am watching some content with decent motion and I am telling you I see no stuttering or motion issues. I can tell you that my Samsung F8000 no matter what anyone tells you 100% does have motion issues. You can make all the setting changes in the world and you can get it down to a minimum but they are still there.

I have been giving samsung as much opportunity as I can as my customers want them and they love the design as they are super thin and physically look great. Ultimately I want to sell what my customers want but they listen to me sometimes and when I see a picture like this I can speak with enthusiasm and get them excited as I am excited about this Sony TV.

People are asking me is it better than the X900 and for me the answer is Yes Yes Yes. Why you ask ?

Okay here is why. This started a few months ago when I brought home a 55W900 for myself for my bedroom and couldn't believe what the picture looked like. The 55W900 I felt was the best LED TV I have ever seen. Its not just me. Cnet and other review sites felt the same. It was an active 3D set which led me to believe the panel was not made by LG which many people believe Sony was using for their Passive sets such as the XBR900 and a few others. What I am saying is this. I had a XBR65X900 4K and i actually enjoyed the 55W900 picture much more. The Colors on the 55W900 were smooth and silky like the new X850 which by the way is Active which leads me to believe its the same panel manufacturer as the W900 probably Samsung or Sharp.

I need to spend some time with adjusting colors and other settings to really dial it in and I am hoping for some others to start tweaking as well so we can share settings.

So with just a few days with this TV so far I am very happy. Very very happy !

More to follow
Craig

Thanks so much for the review. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind since you have the Samsung and the Sony for comparison (I don't like the motion on the F8000 one bit -
How do the blacks compare
Which is brighter?
How does 1080p compare between the two.
post #123 of 132 Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is there an "official XBR-55X850A thread" ?
post #124 of 132 Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 PM

I thought I would jump in with a comparison between 65x850A and UN65F8000.

I tried 2 different Samsung panels and both had bothersome clouding issues hence the switch to the Sony. I wish I could say the Sony has a perfectly uniform panel as well but there is also some clouding just less of an issue than the Samsung.

In my opinion the Samsung is brighter and has a beautiful picture. The whites on the Samsung were almost blinding and I never saw any type of banding. The Sony slight dark areas on the edges but that is not that much of an issue. I don't see any flash lighting with the Sony while the Samsung had both flash lighting as well as cloudy areas.
The Sony has darker black levels and vertical viewing is more consistent with less colour shifting. Horizontal off axis viewing is worse than the Samsung however. Both TD02 panels I had with the Samsung were pretty decent when looking from the sides, the Sony not as much. Speaker sounds are pretty close although I would probably give the slight edge to the Sony. I know the Sony up converts to 4k but initially when I got the 850a I was disappointed with the Sony. I have been playing with the settings and the picture has gotten a lot better since I got the TV last week. For picture adjustments and web applications I prefer the Samsung.

Although there is minimal 4k content I plan on keeping the TV for a while so admittedly paying a premium for the Sony in the long term I believe it's worth it (unless I change to the new LG) smile.gif
post #125 of 132 Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My old Toshiba bulb HDTV finally gave out and I'm looking to get a new TV. I purchased a Sony XBR-HX909 model (52 inch) a couple of years ago or three, can't even remember and it has been a wonderful TV for the living room. But if I'm going to buy a new TV I would move my Sony into the bedroom and get a larger 55 or 60 inch TV for the living room. Why not upgrade. I do not need Netflix or a smart TV but I may be forced to buy one. I use a Dune media player, along with Plex for all my media needs and since I also have the Comcast X1 service I've been watching more shows then ever. No smart functions needed at all, since they just drive the cost up. Of course I came looking to the XBR series since I love the one I have now, but all the XBR sets are 4K. Is it worth to spend that extra $1000 on 4k? I would be interested in the 55X850A model which sells for about $3k. The people that have this TV, do you like it? Are there any known issues with it? Also, would you compare this one to Samsung 8000 models, cause I've been looking at one of their 8000 models for like $1k less since it doesn't have 4k. It is a nice borderless set and looks great but I never purchased a Samsung before.

Does this TV have a glass display or any kind of protective / anti glare coating on it? It is just a pain in the neck to not know what to get since no stores around actually have these TV's in stock so I can never see them before I buy it. I always have to take the risk and buy online. So right now it is between these two sets.

Samsung UN55F8000BF

Sony XBR-55X850A

I also have an important question. Since the Sony has a higher resolution will that make standard every day viewing look better, worse or the same? Like regular 480/720/1080, would that make it bad with such a higher resolution? I'm not one into up scaling or trying to convert anything, and just watch content in its original format so this would be pretty important to me.

I also assume these two models are 2013 models, right? When do they usually come out with 2014 models? Better to wait?

Thanks
post #126 of 132 Old 01-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Yeah I tried a few weeks ago to download the 4k versions and play them on the tv, but it didn't work. Shame... My Mac mini should arrive today as my HTPC. I'm looking forward to playing these clips straight from YouTube on to the screen to see how they look then...

Who really care about ink drops or demos. And what real TV content is in 4k now? Nothing! It took cable companies and even DVD manufacture's ages just to get to Bluray. While 4k may look nice it won't be the norm for a very long time. This is why I don't like Sony's new lineup. Why can't they just have a standard 1080P XBR current model out there?
post #127 of 132 Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Does this TV have a glass display or any kind of protective / anti glare coating on it? It is just a pain in the neck to not know what to get since no stores around actually have these TV's in stock so I can never see them before I buy it. I always have to take the risk and buy online. So right now it is between these two sets.

The few youtube videos on this TV show that the display is at least somewhat reflective, but I haven't read of anyone commenting on how it directly compares to the F8000. Personally I think the F9000, F8000, and the X900A are too reflective on dark images for how I would want to use the TV, but Best Buy told me the closest X850A they have on display is hours away in Springfield MO. The computer monitor comparisons suggest the X850A doesn't have the glass from the X900A and give me hope that the X850A might be reasonable, but I'd also be interested in some first-hand opinion.

Quote:
Since the Sony has a higher resolution will that make standard every day viewing look better, worse or the same?

In theory one pixel from a 1080p source could be converted to four pixels and there would be no difference. Personally on the X900A display I couldn't readily notice any clear difference against 1080p displays with the 1080p demonstration content.

Quote:
I also assume these two models are 2013 models, right? When do they usually come out with 2014 models? Better to wait?

The X850A and F8000 are both 2013 models. The X850A came out a few months ago, and the F8000 was roughly from around the second quarter of 2013. Samsung has not announced a flat screen replacement for the F8000, so it's difficult to guess if the F8000 might be replaced in a few months. Sony announced three new XBR models, and the X850B is likely to have a lower MSRP, since it lacks the local dimming from the X850A. Personally I wouldn't expect the XBR replacement models until at least the second half of 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Why can't they just have a standard 1080P XBR current model out there?

XBR has usually been a higher-margin product, and apparently they decided to move the branding to the 4K models for 2013 and later. Since you just want a 55" 1080p TV, have you considered the KDL-55W900A? Many people seem to cross-shop that TV against the Samsung.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #128 of 132 Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM

I've had the 65 inch version of both the F8000 and the X850. I would say that for reflectiveness they are fairly close. I think the Samsung is just a hair less reflective than the Sony. Off angle the Samsung doesn't get washed out as much so it is better at combatting reflections from that perspective.

Other than a couple of stations that are just bad I can't say I noticed either TV being better at cable watching.

Hope that helps.
post #129 of 132 Old 02-01-2014, 10:47 AM

That is true, I do have the Oppo 103D connected to my X850, to my surprise the upscale process on the X850 is much better. Using the upscaler on the Oppo combined with X850 makes the image extremely soft and it tend to wash out the colors.
post #130 of 132 Old 02-15-2014, 02:22 PM

Liked: 15
Hello One step ahead... I found your comment "I only have display port 1.2 output on my video card. Do you think converting DP 1.2 to HDMI will keep the 60hz"

Have you tried the above cable connection yet (your video cards DP 1.2 output to HDMI in 4 on the XBR-65x850a) ?

I am considering an all in one pc with both HDMI & DP outs as follows:

I know from the XBR-65X850A specs that 1920x1200/60 WILL NOT not work but 1920x1080/60 WILL... but pointless if I am wanting to use and see my new PC in 4k - so that leaves the second display as the possible 4K driving source output.

Could you please test your PC's DP 1.2 out to HDMI in 4 on the XBR-65X850A at both 3840x2160/60 & 3840x2160/30?

All I need is 3840x2160/30 but before I spend over $1000 on the pc, I need to know if the Sony will take the 3840x2160/30 or 3840x2160/60

Thanks in advance! George

post #131 of 132 Old 03-09-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To answer my own question, it was indeed a defect. I sent a picture of it to Sony and they sent me a replacement. Still waiting for it to be mounted again, so I can't report on it yet.

Here's what it looked like. Note that the image was taken using manual focus with long exposure.

Abstract yourself!
post #132 of 132 Old 03-10-2014, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ouch, glad Sony is taking care of you. Clearly that was a manufacturing defect. Hope your new set arrives perfect!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page