Official 2013 Sony KDL-S990A Curved LED Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official 2013 Sony KDL-S990A Curved LED Owner's Thread
JediBry's Avatar JediBry 12:47 PM 05-08-2014

I no longer have my S990. Returned it directly to Sony due to the one I had being a mixed bag of junk. I really wanted to love it, and wanted Sony to make it right, but they would not. But I digress. That is not why I am replying. I see that there are some issues with shipping and damage with this line. 

I wanted to let you know I bought mine through audio video sales guy on amazon. Amazon still guaranteed it, but audio video sales guy was the seller, and let me tell you, when it came to the packaging and delivery - nice! The package had been opened so that audio video sales guy could inspect to make sure there was no damage, but then the filled the entire box with extra packing materials (peanuts, bubble wrap, etc.) so that it would not get damaged.

It arrived in pristine condition. Too bad the screen itself was horrible (terrible flashlighting and horrible uniformity issues) and Sony wouldn't do a thing about it, so I gave it back to them. 

But if you are still in the market for this TV, I highly recommend you talk with audio video sales guy about it. His shop is fantastic.

Best of luck.

JoeNeil's Avatar JoeNeil 12:52 PM 05-08-2014

Thanks for the information and keeping us updated, much appreciated!
I was just about to buy one, but now i'm curious if that issue is on all panels.

Does anyone know of someone who has got a S990A with a decent panel and minimal flash-lighting/issues?

JoeNeil's Avatar JoeNeil 01:36 PM 05-08-2014

Asked Sony to Match the 10% off Coupon from BestBuy(300 dollars off a 3000 dollar purchase)

They said they could give me 12 dollars off the wall mount! LOL!

But on another note, they said the s990a is on there premium list and will not budge on price, but the w850a is not a premium and they can price match. I wonder what thats about.

teeitup's Avatar teeitup 05:01 PM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNeil View Post

Does anyone know of someone who has got a S990A with a decent panel and minimal flash-lighting/issues?

I only have had my S990A for a couple days so can't say I have studied it extensively, but the slight flash-lighting issues I have noticed are minimal and seem to disappear when there is a signal. This panel does have very deep black levels. The screen is fairly reflective but I have always favored the glossy look over matte. My only complaint so far is channels that are in 720p have a more grainy look than the 1080i channels. Probably just didn't notice it as much on my older 46" Z4100.
JoeNeil's Avatar JoeNeil 08:52 PM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

I only have had my S990A for a couple days so can't say I have studied it extensively, but the slight flash-lighting issues I have noticed are minimal and seem to disappear when there is a signal. This panel does have very deep black levels. The screen is fairly reflective but I have always favored the glossy look over matte. My only complaint so far is channels that are in 720p have a more grainy look than the 1080i channels. Probably just didn't notice it as much on my older 46" Z4100.

Thanks I'm going to purchase it and hope for the best.

DaverJ's Avatar DaverJ 09:42 PM 05-08-2014
Quote:

Thanks I'm going to purchase it and hope for the best.

Hope it works out for you Joe. Every time I turn mine on, I'm happy I got it.

Yes, there is some minor flash-lighting, but I only notice it in black screens with small text/credits or a logo in the center. It might be more noticeable in a darker room. Yet when the source fades to black (no credits or logos), the screen is completely solid deep black, no flashlighting, and the TV looks like it's off. Also, there's some image inconsistency, but it's only really visible on solid white/color screens, which are usually not in TV shows or movies.

Other than those two issues, which may or may not bother everyone, it's a solid 5 out of 5 stars. However, if you are sensitive to those issues, they might drive you crazy. redface.gif We have some friends coming over on Saturday for a movie night (Hitchcock on Blu-ray!), so I'm interested what their impressions of the 990 will be - I think they'll dig it! cool.gif
JoeNeil's Avatar JoeNeil 12:04 PM 05-09-2014

I'll keep you guys updated when I receive my TV and let you know how it turns out, these forums are great. Love the helpful information.

Damol1's Avatar Damol1 02:52 PM 05-11-2014
I recently purchased the S990A from Sony Store and I would like to know if anybody has tried to hook up a sub-woofer to the TV and how much it improves the sound. A few months ago I purchased a house and all the walls in the room where the TV is are concrete walls with plaster so it is almost impossible to get a true 5.1 system wired.
Before I buy a sub-woofer I would like to find out how it sounds and if it is worth doing it.
DaverJ's Avatar DaverJ 10:04 PM 05-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damol1 View Post

I recently purchased the S990A from Sony Store and I would like to know if anybody has tried to hook up a sub-woofer to the TV and how much it improves the sound. A few months ago I purchased a house and all the walls in the room where the TV is are concrete walls with plaster so it is almost impossible to get a true 5.1 system wired.
Before I buy a sub-woofer I would like to find out how it sounds and if it is worth doing it.

I can't comment because I haven't tried a subwoofer - I run audio through a 7.1 setup. But I would imagine a sub-woofer would be very worthwhile in adding some nice low-end to the TV's pretty decent speakers.

It's cool that this TV has the option to select the audio out jack to be subwoofer-only, a feature I would definitely use if I was using the TV's speakers.
vaprotennis's Avatar vaprotennis 01:08 PM 05-14-2014

Hi

I am new to this forum and am on the cusp of buying this Sony from buydig. 

Before pulling the trigger, does anyone feel I should look at another set @ $2k or below?

What stand do you all recommend?

I was hoping for something that allows the screen to easily tilt (Bello?) due to sun with intended room placement. 

I see the settings given by other members - very helpful. Any other set-up tips (cables etc) are appreciated too. 

Thanks

John

Amelia Island, FL

teeitup's Avatar teeitup 02:11 PM 05-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaprotennis View Post

Hi

I am new to this forum and am on the cusp of buying this Sony from buydig. 

Before pulling the trigger, does anyone feel I should look at another set @ $2k or below?

What stand do you all recommend?

I was hoping for something that allows the screen to easily tilt (Bello?) due to sun with intended room placement. 

I see the settings given by other members - very helpful. Any other set-up tips (cables etc) are appreciated too. 

Thanks

John
Amelia Island, FL

Is this set still available from BuyDig? Last I checked they had sold out.

Not sure of anything at the $2K price range that can beat this set, especially if you are looking for a curved screen and integrated speakers that rival a good sound bar. It is truly a premium TV.
rastargate's Avatar rastargate 02:39 PM 05-14-2014
I just got mine setup. For the money and the coolness effect you would be hard pressed to find anything for 1999. This good.
dallashobbyist's Avatar dallashobbyist 03:13 PM 05-14-2014

John, here are my thoughts on your questions:

1) alternative models: Ceteris paribus, I would look at the W850a. That model offers meaningful value, and even more so since the price was lowered to 1,999 a few days ago. With respect to where you decide to buy, I would go with magnolia, as they offer price match, free shipping, and--most importantly in your situation--a no questions asked 45 day return policy; you only lose on tax versus online retailers.

2) stand selection: you'll need a minimum of 65 inches--the width of the TV + stand--of white space on the top shelf. in descending order of cost/quality, i would recommend the following: custom build by a local wood worker (check out custommade.com for sourcing), standout designs, salamander, bdi, local low-cost furniture retailer/consignor. i think using a console with a tilting arm or cantilever for this set would be an ill fated decision--the tv weighs over 100 lbs.

I hope this helps. Also, i am slated to receive my 990 onday of next week, and will report back with my initial impressions.

rastargate's Avatar rastargate 05:32 PM 05-14-2014
Master Bedroom TV all set up. I think it came out great! Picture is fantastic.
rastargate's Avatar rastargate 07:53 PM 05-14-2014
Tried out the built in speakers. They all suck compared to a good soundbar and sub. It's just making the TV's thick again. I went the Sonos route because the rest of my house is now Sonos. For a 3.1 bedroom setup the picture and sound are amazing.

Now onto finishing my Home Theater this weekend.
CJayB's Avatar CJayB 03:57 PM 05-15-2014
Rastargate, your S990 looks great wall mounted, though it looks small on that high wall!

Any screen uniformity problems at all with normal viewing with your set?

Mine is finally set for delivery tomorrow morning after once again having to fight to get the white glove delivery I paid extra for from Buydig.
Mr. Biggles's Avatar Mr. Biggles 04:52 PM 05-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastargate View Post

Master Bedroom TV all set up. I think it came out great! Picture is fantastic.

Looks great!

Is that the 80" Modern Flames built in? Nice regardless.
rastargate's Avatar rastargate 05:26 PM 05-15-2014
It's the 100" Modern Flames. Picture looks perfect, but then again it's a bedroom tv so I am not studying it. I am using out of the box settings and at the moment a $50 BD player.

I had to blue tape everything up to make sure it all looked to scale. A 55" TV looked too small and a 75" would look to big. I think the 65" was the right choice.

The wife said it looked good, although a bit bachelor pad-ish. However we watch allot of TV in bed so she was fine with everything.
romeopitbull's Avatar romeopitbull 11:12 AM 05-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastargate View Post

It's the 100" Modern Flames. Picture looks perfect, but then again it's a bedroom tv so I am not studying it. I am using out of the box settings and at the moment a $50 BD player.

I had to blue tape everything up to make sure it all looked to scale. A 55" TV looked too small and a 75" would look to big. I think the 65" was the right choice.

The wife said it looked good, although a bit bachelor pad-ish. However we watch allot of TV in bed so she was fine with everything.

How close will your face be away from the screen? What are you using for audio - just the attached speakers. If so, how is the sound?
rastargate's Avatar rastargate 11:37 AM 05-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeopitbull View Post

How close will your face be away from the screen? What are you using for audio - just the attached speakers. If so, how is the sound?
16' away. Using sonos playbar and a sinus sub. Sounds amazing.
sacherel's Avatar sacherel 07:37 PM 05-17-2014

For those who are interested, Sony has this tv online and in store for $1999. You must tell the store you would like the discount applied (its a $500 discount offered if you ask). For online, call the 1888 number and ask for the discount. With online, they give you free shipping compared to the store.

HenDokuYaku's Avatar HenDokuYaku 10:03 PM 05-19-2014
I love this TV. I think it is one of those missed opportunities. I'm a big Sony fan all the way back to the hx909. This TV is gorgeous out of the box. I can't wait to play around with some settings. Anybody have any other settings they want to share? I have a feeling this panel is at least a little different than the 850a.

I got mine from buydig a week back but just got around to opening it.

I also have a 70r550a and it really doesn't compare. It's the best Sony TV I've run into.

I do want to test for screen uniformity. The blacks are blowing me away.

Now to go play with the Benq W1500.
DaverJ's Avatar DaverJ 10:45 PM 05-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenDokuYaku View Post

I love this TV. I think it is one of those missed opportunities. I'm a big Sony fan all the way back to the hx909. This TV is gorgeous out of the box. I can't wait to play around with some settings. Anybody have any other settings they want to share? I have a feeling this panel is at least a little different than the 850a.

Post #248 has my "general" setting details, if you're interested.

Curious about your comparisons with the 850a.
dallashobbyist's Avatar dallashobbyist 07:06 AM 05-20-2014

Interesting. I wonder if I can get Magnolia to match this offer. Could you load a screen shot of your shopping cart? I would appreciate it.

My S990 arrives the 27th.

dallashobbyist's Avatar dallashobbyist 10:32 AM 05-20-2014

Just validated the $500 discount with Sony. No promotional code associated. You have to contact Sony and they will apply the discount manually (after you add the product to your basket).

HenDokuYaku's Avatar HenDokuYaku 12:58 PM 05-20-2014
I haven't seen two the 850a and the 990a back to back in the same environment, but I'm blown away with the blacks on the 990a much more so than I was with the 850a. The 850a had beautiful colors as does the 990a, but the blacks and detail on the 990a somehow shine. Of course, being their panels are so close, it my psychie convincing me I made the right decision :-), but I don't think so. I did put it next the an hx909 which was a full array panel from Sony from a few years back and I like the 990a. I know the 990a is edgelit local dimming, but I like what I like.

Thanks for the settings. I'm using most of your settings right now and I like it very much. I'm just not a huge processing guy, so I'm going to try to run Disney WOW on it (no Calman handy) and see what I can come up with.

Aesthetically, as been noted, the stand extends outside the length of the tv. That is a bit annoying. Also, it's above 5 inches wide (check specs). Otherwise, it's gorgeous.
JoeNeil's Avatar JoeNeil 03:12 PM 05-20-2014

So I received my S990A, I've had it for a couple days now, and the picture is wonderful, the best i've had even compared to my plasma 42ST30, blacks are better on my s990a I'm pretty sure. I no longer have the TV to compare it too. But damn this picture is nice. I really need to tamper with some custom settings. The only flaw this TV has is the back-light issue, you can see spots, they are not tremendously bad, but they are noticeable during full black screens. The problem is not big enough to sway me from this TV by any means so far.

BTW the stand does suck ass. I will be wall hanging it, if its possible? So damn heavy, and theres no way I want a 70 foot TV stand, da ****? lol

DaverJ's Avatar DaverJ 03:28 PM 05-20-2014
Quote:

So I received my S990A, I've had it for a couple days now, and the picture is wonderful, the best i've had even compared to my plasma 42ST30, blacks are better on my s990a I'm pretty sure. I no longer have the TV to compare it too. But damn this picture is nice. I really need to tamper with some custom settings. The only flaw this TV has is the back-light issue, you can see spots, they are not tremendously bad, but they are noticeable during full black screens. The problem is not big enough to sway me from this TV by any means so far.

BTW the stand does suck ass. I will be wall hanging it, if its possible? So damn heavy, and theres no way I want a 70 foot TV stand, da ****? lol

Good to hear it worked out for you Joe! cool.gif

My experience is during full black screens, like a fade to black between scenes of a movie, or before/after a commercial on a TV show, you should see zero flashlighting if LED Dynamic Control is on. However, if there's anything on screen, like credits, logo, or an information bar/on-screen display over black, then some flashlighting might be noticeable. It's also noticeable during the initial Sony logo (I turned off that option because the flashlighting bugged me! biggrin.gif ) and sometimes where there's no source because the OSD is displaying something over black.

Also - I really like the stand, but I guess that's just me. redface.gif
dallashobbyist's Avatar dallashobbyist 05:25 PM 05-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Good to hear it worked out for you Joe! cool.gif

My experience is during full black screens, like a fade to black between scenes of a movie, or before/after a commercial on a TV show, you should see zero flashlighting if LED Dynamic Control is on. However, if there's anything on screen, like credits, logo, or an information bar/on-screen display over black, then some flashlighting might be noticeable. It's also noticeable during the initial Sony logo (I turned off that option because the flashlighting bugged me! biggrin.gif ) and sometimes where there's no source because the OSD is displaying something over black.

Also - I really like the stand, but I guess that's just me. redface.gif

My guess is this is a function of all backlights being off during an all-black scene versus one or more being on during a partially black scene, such as the sony load screen. 

-captian obvious

dallashobbyist's Avatar dallashobbyist 05:45 PM 05-20-2014

Great to hear 

Quote:

I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying the machine; you've heightened my anticipation. With respect to the flashlighting issue, and to echo DaverJ's suggestion, I would ensure dynamic led control is on (normal is the maximum setting, i believe) and maybe try inversely and proportionally trading backlight intensity for brightness while observing a static image that elicits flashlighting, such as the one attached, to determine if there is an optimal mix for minimizing that effect. With respect to your struggle to find a stand that will accommodate this beast, I have found plenty of 72 inch-plus media consoles for sale at local furniture dealers, some of which are priced in the 500 dollar area. Hope this helps.

Tags: Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop