Official 2013 Sony KDL-S990A Curved LED Owner's Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 354 Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
btw. I've read all the anti-curve articles from cnet, etc. etc. and I have to tell you, I like the curve. I also don't see the huge negative effect on the viewing angle. I'll try to test it out when I can. I think at this price, I want to buy a couple more before Sony closes their curves out. There is a glossy screen which will cause your blacks to reflect during the day, but it's not a huge issue.

This thing is a beast. It is not curved in the back, so you should be able to wall mount no problem. The flattening of the back and the upgraded speaker system is what causes the extra weight and width. I imagine local dimming doesn't help the width either. NO PROBLEM though. Easy tradeoffs for this picture.
JoeNeil likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 354 Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Thanks for the tips and help guys, I also love the curved much much more then flat screen. The curve adds sex appeal lol =).
I'll let you guys know how the wall mounting goes, I dont mind the stand legs if I had the room. I was just annoyed I had to pull together two end tables to set it up because they sent my wall-mount separately lol.

Have you guys checked out the 3d? Holy **** its good! Had a few people say its better then the theater.
Trine 2 game was pretty interesting in 3d. Pompeii wasn't too bad either. I'm not a 3d guy but man it was definitely an unexpected bonus to this TV. 

This is really an under-rated TV, and i'm not sure why everyone put it on the back burner for reviews, I couldn't be happier.

post #303 of 354 Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21

my guess is that lukewarm reception following launch was due primarily to the original MSRP of $4,999.99, especially relative to the performance of a comparably priced XBR.

post #304 of 354 Old 05-20-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This has to be one of the most beautiful looking TVs I have ever seen, Wow. I have been looking at the 65x900a and now the 65x900b which are both gorgeous, but this looks amazing. I ave never seen one in person though...
post #305 of 354 Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Does anyone have a S990A that is not made in Japan? It seems that these sets are all made in Japan which is a benefit in my mind. It appears that the X900A and X900B are made in Mexico although there was an initial run of the X900A's made in Japan that made it to the US. Not sure about the X950B.
post #306 of 354 Old 05-28-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

Does anyone have a S990A that is not made in Japan?

Japan here.
teeitup likes this.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #307 of 354 Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallashobbyist View Post

Just validated the $500 discount with Sony. No promotional code associated. You have to contact Sony and they will apply the discount manually (after you add the product to your basket).

Is this discount documented anywhere or is it an unadvertised thing that you have to call in for?

I returned my original one that had really bad uniformity issues and and stock ran out before I could order a replacement.

post #308 of 354 Old 05-30-2014, 09:15 AM

Please let me know how your negotiations work with SONY. I think that I might want one of these too? Are you thinking of any other models or just this one? I would love for SONY to throw in their 5-year warranty, a high quality HDMI cable and white glove delivery service (in case of shipping damages).

Thanks,

John

Fernandina Beach, FL

post #309 of 354 Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM

I haven't seen the discount published or otherwise documented. The closest I got was a confirmation from a Sony sales rep that the discount would be applied to my basket at checkout (see screen capture below). Since I ordered my TV through Magnolia, I suppose I never fully validated the discount.

Inline image 1

post #310 of 354 Old 06-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Received my 990 this weekend. I have to say: this TV is in an entirely different class than the w850a. I can now appreciate the at-launch price point of $5K; there really is that much TV here. My initial observations are as follows:

- Black levels and contrast are superior to that of the 850, and the deep black screen really enhances this.

- Aesthetically, this unit is beautiful. I'm generally in favor of minimizing attention to my electronics, but the s990 is so good looking it becomes--and I dont mind--the focal point of the room.

- The curve is not a gimmick, at least for me. It adds an immersion factor, and gives you the sense you are being enveloped in the content.

- The passive 3D is better visually, and the light weight, ergonomic glasses are much more enjoyable than its gangly active counterparts.

I acknowledge some of my observations may be psychosomatic, and that I might be rationalizing my decision to trade for the 990 to a certain extent. Even still, I highly recommend this unit over the w850.

DaverJ likes this.
post #311 of 354 Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM

DallasHobbist

Congratulations on your TV!

I think that I want one too. We just moved and I think this TV on a Stand that easily tilts will be awesome and quite the upgrade from my 2004 SONY 55"

Do you think there are any downsides to ordering from Sony? I would like to get an extended warranty, white glove delivery and the set itself for $2k. Did you get a special HDMI cable (present we have comcast but going to Direct TV).

Thanks!

John

Fernandina Beach, FL

post #312 of 354 Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Thank you. You won't be disappointed if you decided to go with this model. With respect to sourcing, I'll echo my recommendation to use a third party. Layering in a third party--at least with Magnolia in my situation--provided two meaningful benefits versus direct order from Sony.com: 1) added return flexibility via Magnolia's liberal 45-day return window, and 2) best-of-class shipping--Magnolia uses their own proprietary installers and trucks to make deliveries. Regarding the HDMI cable, I am not 100% clear on what you are asking. Are you asking if you will require a special HDMI cable, or are you asking if Sony is offering a reduced-price or bundled HDMI cable as part of the offer?  

post #313 of 354 Old 06-09-2014, 03:57 PM

FYI: the promo is still alive, and Sony's return policy is 30 days, no-cost-to-you.

post #314 of 354 Old 06-09-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI cables are easy - go with AVS Forum sponsor Monoprice. High quality cables at great prices, in various lengths and colors.

Click here.

post #315 of 354 Old 06-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Ordered and due to arrive on the 18th

Have one on the way and coming this week. Thanks to all for their comments and we are excited to try this TV.

Ordered from Sony.com @ $1,999.99 with free white glove service.

Which mono price hdmi cable do you recommend?

Thanks,

John
DaverJ and dallashobbyist like this.
post #316 of 354 Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaprotennis View Post
Which mono price hdmi cable do you recommend?
Pick your color and length as a starting point, and if a thick cable is ok, go with the lowest AWG high-speed cable - 24 AWG should be fine. The lower the number, the thicker the cable, which is generally good.

If you need a thin cable because you'll be feeding it along turns and hard-to-fit places, then consider the slightly more expensive, thinner RedMere cables. I've never used them, but they have a chip in them to compensate for a thinner cable. Not sure how well that works.

You don't need an HDMI cable w/ Ethernet for this TV.

Here's some good info on choosing HDMI cables, but know that any low-cost decent quality high-speed cable should suffice.

post #317 of 354 Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM

John, have you received your TV yet? If so, what are your initial impressions?
post #318 of 354 Old 07-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I've now had my 990 for just over 2 months and have to say that it has surpassed my expectations.

The Sony replaced a Panasonic 65ST50 plasma that I loved but decided to sell it with my house since the new owners also loved it and gave me a very fair price and I didn't want to move it half way across country. I still have an older Panasonic 42S1.

I knew going in that the Sony blacks would not match the plasma blacks. But I am very surprised at how close they are. But the Sony color actually exceeds in my opinion the plasma color. Add in the much superior brightness for daytime viewing and the also the greatly superior quality of the passive 3D of the Sony and I don't regret at all having sold the Panasonic. I think that the color if anything even beats the color I've seen on a friend's Panasonic 60VT60, which has overall superior color to the ST50.

Throw in the great looks of the curved screen on the Sony and the also the above average quality of the side speakers and the Sony is a real winner. Definitely one of the best LED HD TVs ever produced.

Now for the one downside and that is clouding which is sometimes present when viewing in a dark room. Not too bad overall since most of the time it mainly shows up on the bottom black bar when watching 2:35 aspect ratio blu-rays, or on the side black bars when watching 4:3 material.

Here are the settings I've been using for blu-rays and Netflix/Amazon Prime material and cable:

All settings under Eco menu turned off except for Auto Shut-off.
SBM turned On under Pro Picture Setup

Picture Adjustments:

Setting Memory: Common
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 2
Picture: 90
Brightness: 52
Color: 51
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Auto
MPEG Noise Reduction: off
Dot Noise Reduction: off
Reality Creation: Manual
Video Area Detection: off
Resolution: 20 for a leave it and forget it value but can range from 10 to 40 if you really want fine tune for individual material
Noise Filtering: 20, but I don't really see any change with this setting so you might want to leave at Min
Smooth Gradation: off
Motionflow: Standard
CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings: all set to Off except as follows:
Gamma: -1
LED Dynamic Control: Standard

White Balance:
R-gain. O
G-gain. -3
B-gain. -6
R-bias. -2
G-bias. -1
B-bias. +1

All my test blu-rays are currently in storage while I'm waiting for my new home to be completely, so I had to calibrate using a handful of blu-rays that I always use to calibrate and I'm extremely comfortable using them to find good settings, especially for DVDs and blu-rays if not for cable as much. For watching 3D I just up the backlight to 5 instead of 2. I still need to play with that to see if I can improve it.

Only the Custom picture mode seems to produce an accurate picture. The other modes all produce flaws. I originally calibrated using Cinema mode because the professional reviews recommended it for similar 2013 Sony models but it doesn't work as well for the 990.

Let me know what you think of the settings and what settings you find to your liking.

This is one great TV and it's a shame most of the AV world has overlooked it and that there is so little activity here.
Mr. Biggles and DaverJ like this.
post #319 of 354 Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post
Let me know what you think of the settings and what settings you find to your liking.
I just dialed in your settings, and so far they look pretty fantastic.

It might take some getting used to the backlight down to 2. I had my backlight around 4 or 5, which was bright and popped more like an LCD, but these settings look more plasma-like. Nice details in the dark areas, and seems to have much less flashlighting over black screens with text or logos (title cards, credits, etc.). Colors looks nice and accurate too - not pushed.

Thanks for posting CJay! I agree, it's a shame more people haven't seen this TV in person, especially with these settings.

post #320 of 354 Old 07-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I just dialed in your settings, and so far they look pretty fantastic.

It might take some getting used to the backlight down to 2. I had my backlight around 4 or 5, which was bright and popped more like an LCD, but these settings look more plasma-like. Nice details in the dark areas, and seems to have much less flashlighting over black screens with text or logos (title cards, credits, etc.). Colors looks nice and accurate too - not pushed.

Thanks for posting CJay! I agree, it's a shame more people haven't seen this TV in person, especially with these settings.
I originally was using the backlight at 4 or 5 myself but over time lowered it down to 2 exactly because it most closely matched the great picture I had gotten from my Panasonic plasma, using it with the professionally calibrated settings provided by D-nice. 4 or 5 is still going to be best for viewing in a fairly bright room and for sports.

I also forgot to mention that I calibrated using the Sony 6200 blu-ray player set to Direct mode. It pairs very well with the S990. Even though the S990 can't take advantage of the 4K output I still bought the 6200 model because I got an openbox deal at Best Buy making it no more expensive than the 5200 that is nearly identical except for 4K.

Finally I forgot in my review to mention what I find to be another flaw with the S990, namely that neither remote it comes with is backlit. That's a shame for a TV that retails for just under $5,000. I would rather have only one remote with backlighting. At least that flaw can be corrected with an aftermarket remote.
DaverJ likes this.
post #321 of 354 Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 181
The only time I use the TV's remote is for settings and input changes. But then again my Dish remote isn't back lighted either. The stand is my biggest complaint. Like the 70w850b Sony should have allowed for a second stand placement more inboard. My Ent Center is only 58in wide.

Last edited by andy sullivan; 07-22-2014 at 04:35 PM.
post #322 of 354 Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

I was lucky to find a reasonably priced stand that is exactly the length and depth needed. I got it at Homemakers (owned by Nebraska Furniture Mart) in the Des Moines area.
post #323 of 354 Old 07-22-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

This must be the least visited Sony thread ever. Question please. My stand is only 58in wide and I see the TV stand is 65in wide. It looks like the front edge of the stand juts out to the side and out from the front of the TV. Does the stand stick out far enough towards the back so that it will sit OK on my stand? I know it maty look a bit odd but can I do it? Also in my looking at different Sony TV's this one looks a lot like the 65w850a less the curve. How much are they related?
post #324 of 354 Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
My stand is only 58in wide and I see the TV stand is 65in wide. It looks like the front edge of the stand juts out to the side and out from the front of the TV. Does the stand stick out far enough towards the back so that it will sit OK on my stand?
Maybe this photo will help - it's above looking down a side of the TV, with the TV's front facing picture right and the back of the TV is facing picture left.

Make sense?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1337.jpg (80.7 KB, 28 views)

post #325 of 354 Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

It's really kind of hard for me to tell DaverJ. If you have a chance perhaps you can tell me how much of the stand will fall under the 58" width. Enough to keep the TV steady on my 58" wide table top? I don't mind if the front sticks out over the edge as long as enough of the stand will support the TV.
post #326 of 354 Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 AM

Let's be positive--this is an exclusive thread, not the least visited.

You'll need a full 65 inches of stand. The legs actually connect at the outer extremities of the panel and as such that's where you'll need support. Also, keep in mind that this tv is heavier than other size-equivalent panels.

I owned the w850a for a few months, and ultimately traded it for the s990. See post 310 for my thoughts on the 990 vs the 850. Keep in mind I wrote that post following the weekend I received the unit, so it's a bit exuberant.
post #327 of 354 Old 07-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Pic1

pic1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (119.6 KB, 46 views)
post #328 of 354 Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Pic2

Pic2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (135.0 KB, 40 views)
post #329 of 354 Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Is Sony using/buying from the same S-PVA panel for the 65s990a as Samsung is for their 65" curved TV? How similar is the design for the 65s990a panel to the 65w850a panel? Other than the curved part of course. They sure look a lot alike in PQ.
post #330 of 354 Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post

This is one great TV and it's a shame most of the AV world has overlooked it and that there is so little activity here.
ClayB,

Thanks for the settings. Colors look natural with plenty of brightness even with backlight set at 2.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page