Official 2013 Sony KDL-S990A Curved LED Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 379 Old 09-04-2014, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally got mine and absolutely love it.

Few questions tho.

1. How come when watching Direct TV on 1080i there is serious motion blur? Like watch the US Open tennis match any fast movement is seriously blurred. Should I be watching on 720p? I was reading and DTV only supports 1080P on their Direct Cinema channels. (more coming soon I guess).

2. I plugged in CJayB's settings and the picture was really really dark. I ended up like Vivid setting the most with a lot of CJayB's settings implemented.

Overall this set ROCKS and the picture is friggin stunning. I don't see any issues at all with clouding or any uniformity issues. Huge huge upgrade from my old Panasonic 65 S2 plasma.

Cheers!
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 379 Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared2442 View Post
How come when watching Direct TV on 1080i there is serious motion blur? Like watch the US Open tennis match any fast movement is seriously blurred. Should I be watching on 720p? I was reading and DTV only supports 1080P on their Direct Cinema channels. (more coming soon I guess).
Great to hear you like the TV!

As for motion blur, that's probably a fault of the source. One of the downsides of a more accurate display is it will point out flaws of the incoming signal. My Tivo is set for 1080i and I see no motion blur from Comcast cable, so I would say stick with 1080i and see if you notice motion blur on all channels and other sources like DVDs or Blu-Ray.

Also, you might want to try messing with the different Motionflow options. Certain Motionflow settings can cause a "Soap Opera Effect" on filmed sources like movies, but might look better with sports or animation. See what works best for you.

Quote:
2. I plugged in CJayB's settings and the picture was really really dark. I ended up like Vivid setting the most with a lot of CJayB's settings implemented.
CJ's settings seem to be designed for a more plasma-like appearance best suited for a darker room, which is a more accurate display. But it takes some time to get used to it, especially comparing to the out-of-the-box settings like Vivid that make the picture pop nicely. Display settigs are definitely a YMMV, but I'm very pleased with how CJ's calibration look once I got used to it, albeit I adjust the backlight up a bit because I need/like a brighter picture.
Mr. Biggles and Jared2442 like this.
post #363 of 379 Old 09-04-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Great to hear you like the TV!

As for motion blur, that's probably a fault of the source. One of the downsides of a more accurate display is it will point out flaws of the incoming signal. My Tivo is set for 1080i and I see no motion blur from Comcast cable, so I would say stick with 1080i and see if you notice motion blur on all channels and other sources like DVDs or Blu-Ray.

Also, you might want to try messing with the different Motionflow options. Certain Motionflow settings can cause a "Soap Opera Effect" on filmed sources like movies, but might look better with sports or animation. See what works best for you.

CJ's settings seem to be designed for a more plasma-like appearance best suited for a darker room, which is a more accurate display. But it takes some time to get used to it, especially comparing to the out-of-the-box settings like Vivid that make the picture pop nicely. Display settigs are definitely a YMMV, but I'm very pleased with how CJ's calibration look once I got used to it, albeit I adjust the backlight up a bit because I need/like a brighter picture.
You da man Dave!

I just did a little digging and apparently ESPN does not support 1080i programming, so that would explain it as the US Open Tennis is covered on ESPN.

Just as long as it's not an issue with my set I am AOK. What an awesome purchase. I am seriously pumped for start of NFL tonight.
DaverJ likes this.
post #364 of 379 Old 09-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Obviously everyone needs to set their display to their liking. But I do strongly recommend not using Vivid mode. If anyone needs a brighter picture for sports or other TV shows or bright room viewing I would recommend first setting backlight higher in custom or standard mode before going to vivid. And my settings are primarily designed for watching blu-rays and HD films on Netflix/Amazon etc in a dark room. And try raising backlight one or maybe two notches at a time, living with that for a few days to get used to it before raising backlight any higher.

Also I'm going to be reporting adjustments here to my settings soon, after playing more with the Spears and Munsil calibration disc. I've changed Hue from 0 to R1 for accuracy and this has considerably changed my White Balance settings and I think color is improved. I'll be changing a few other things as well. I'm shooting for a report later this weekend after I've had a chance to watch a few more TV shows and movies.

What would really be nice is if someone could do a professional calibration of the S990. I can find no professional calibration results on the internet. Without the proper equipment, there is only so much anyone can do by eye alone to produce an accurate display.
post #365 of 379 Old 09-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Here are my updated settings:

Make sure the power savings features in Eco menu are turned off.

Settings for dark room or room with at least a modest amount of light control:
Setting memory: Common
Cinema 1
Backlight: 2 or 3 depending on material
Picture: 89
Brightness: 51
Color: 52
Hue: R1
Color temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise reduction: Auto
MPEG noise reduction: off
Dot noise reduction: off
Reality creation: Manual
Video area detection: off
Resolution: 15
Noise filtering: 20
Smooth gradation: Low
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings:
Black corrector: Medium
Adv. contrast enhancer: off
Gamma: -1
LED Dynamic control: standard
Auto light limiter: Low
Clear white: off
Live color: off
Detail enhancer: off
Edge enhancer: off
Skin naturalized: off
Display speed preference: off (grayed out)

White balance:
R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: -6
R-Bias: -3
G-Bias: -1
B-Bias: -2

If settings not bright enough for your tastes try leaving brightness at 51 and just adjust the backlight control.

For brighter rooms with minimal light control change settings as follows:

Cinema 2:
Backlight: 4 or 5
Gamma: 0

I don't try to adjust for direct sunlight hitting the screen.

For 3D in dark room use same settings as Cinema 1 but change to:

Backlight: 5 or 6
Resolution: 30
Smooth gradation: off (grayed out)
Motionflow: Standard (no True Cinema option offered)
Auto light limiter: off (grayed out)

I've gone back to calibrating using Cinema modes because recent firmware upgrades have fixed most of the flaws. Only the Adv. Contrast Low setting still not working, but I don't use Adv Contrast. Cinema is the most natural mode now for watching blu-rays and other HD material. Recent firmware upgrade also enhanced Black Corrector so that even at the High setting I don't see blacks being crushed, but nevertheless have decided to set to Medium not to push it.

If you use the new settings let me know if you think anything can be improved upon.

9/13 Update:

Corrected white balance settings after discovering that several settings in the Pro Picture Setup menu had been corrupted, apparently after the last firmware update. SBM should be set to ON in that menu, but all HDMI settings should be set to Auto.

I have now gone through all the picture adjustment menus and returned corrupted settings to the originals.
Mr. Biggles, DaverJ and wxkid23 like this.

Last edited by CJayB; 09-13-2014 at 09:42 PM.
post #366 of 379 Old 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post
If you use the new settings let me know if you think anything can be improved upon.
CJ - can you double-check your White Balance setting please? Something doesn't look right with the colors.
post #367 of 379 Old 09-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
CJ - can you double-check your White Balance setting please? Something doesn't look right with the colors.
Daver,

A few questions and comments:

Did you make sure to change Hue to R1? So far most everything I've looked at appears more accurate to me, even my wife commented positively and she normally doesn't notice these things. But I have only looked at about a dozen different blu-rays, TV shows, and some streaming shows.

Does the color appear shifted red, green, blue?

Any screen shots you can provide?

What material looks wrong? I've watched blu-rays of Seven, Fifth Element, Blade Runner, Wolf of Wall Sreet, and Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D. Right now my blu-ray selection is limited until I can get my collection out of storage in about 4 weeks. I do though have both Netflix and Amazon Prime to look at things.

The only thing I've noticed is a very slight green push on a couple of television shows and trying to get rid of the green causes other problems.

Also make sure newest firmware is installed - the most recent update was within the last week.

Hopefully we can get this perfected even without using a light meter and professional calibration software.
post #368 of 379 Old 09-08-2014, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Should have the TV up and running this week. Thanks for the new settings CjayB! I'll give them a shot
post #369 of 379 Old 09-12-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post
Here are my updated settings:

Make sure the power savings features in Eco menu are turned off.

Settings for dark room or room with at least a modest amount of light control:
Setting memory: Common
Cinema 1
Backlight: 2 or 3 depending on material
Picture: 89
Brightness: 51
Color: 52
Hue: R1
Color temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise reduction: Auto
MPEG noise reduction: off
Dot noise reduction: off
Reality creation: Manual
Video area detection: off
Resolution: 15
Noise filtering: 20
Smooth gradation: Low
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings:
Black corrector: Medium
Adv. contrast enhancer: off
Gamma: -1
LED Dynamic control: standard
Auto light limiter: Low
Clear white: off
Live color: off
Detail enhancer: off
Edge enhancer: off
Skin naturalized: off
Display speed preference: off (grayed out)

White balance:
R-Gain: -3
G-Gain: -4
B-Gain: -10
R-Bias: -5
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: -6

If settings not bright enough for your tastes try leaving brightness at 51 and just adjust the backlight control.

For brighter rooms with minimal light control change settings as follows:

Cinema 2:
Backlight: 4 or 5
Gamma: 0

For 3D in dark room use same settings as Cinema 1 but change to:

Backlight: 6
Resolution: 30
Smooth gradation: off (grayed out)
Motionflow: Standard (no True Cinema option offered)
Auto light limiter: off (grayed out)

I've gone back to calibrating using Cinema modes because recent firmware upgrades have fixed most of the flaws. Only the Adv. Contrast Low setting still not working, but I don't use Adv Contrast. Cinema is the most natural mode now for watching blu-rays and other HD material. Recent firmware upgrade also enhanced Black Corrector so that even at the High setting I don't see blacks being crushed, but nevertheless have decided to set to Medium not to push it.

Not gonna lie, CJay. I put in these exact settings and the picture looks absolutely terrible. Even my wife commented how bad it looked. Would it differ that drastically from set to set? Not sure what the issue is here. It went to total crap when I started messing with the White Balance settings.
post #370 of 379 Old 09-12-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not gonna lie, CJay. I put in these exact settings and the picture looks absolutely terrible. Even my wife commented how bad it looked. Would it differ that drastically from set to set? Not sure what the issue is here. It went to total crap when I started messing with the White Balance settings.
Same thing happened on my set too.

Check his settings back in post 318 - those worked great for me for movies at night when the room is darker. And they improved a bit more when updated with Picture setting at 88, Black Corrector set to Low, Motionflow to Off, and Backlight to 3.

I've got some new settings for regular day or night TV watching, using a modified "Standard" setting. Completely non-calibrated, but a nice bright pitcher that pops, great color without too much much exaggeration. I'm pretty happy with these settings for most viewing, although they are in a constant stat of flux. Will post these settings later tonight or over the weekend.
post #371 of 379 Old 09-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry they're not working out for you because they have definitely been an improvement for me. But obviously something is wrong here since both you and Daver are having problems. I can only suggest for now going back to the old settings.

My only thought here is that the last firmware release a couple weeks ago did something to change the white balance of my display. I'm not sure how to return to an old firmware to confirm. I'm going to go back through each menu option to see if I can find anything amiss and will report back. None of the previous firmware updates had changed any of my custom settings, but anytime firmware is upgraded there is a chance something gets screwed.

I am however confident that the old settings I had recommended still have room for improvement, so I'll keep working on it. I do feel that Hue to be totally accurate should be set to R1 instead of 0 and white balance adjusted from there.

Thanks so much for your input.
post #372 of 379 Old 09-12-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's my current "TV watching during day or night" settings. The goal isn't accuracy as much, but a pleasing, bright picture for everyday TV viewing via Tivo. I have my Scene Select set to Auto (24p Sync), which switches to Cinema settings when change to the Blu-Ray player, Game settings when I switch to the PS4, then back to these "Standard" settings for watching Tivo.

Please note that these are completely eyeballed, not calibrated in any way. Also, these settings push red a tad too much, so if anyone has any suggestions to fix that, please let me know.

===

Under Settings > Preferences > Eco - all off (except Auto Shut-off which doesn't affect picture)

Picture Adjustments:
Setting Memory - Common
Picture Mode - Standard
*might be a good idea to hit Reset at this point because these are modified from the default Standard settings
Backlight - 3
Picture - 94
Brightness - 51
Color - 49
Hue - G1
Color Temperature - Warm 2
Sharpness - 70
Noise Reduction - Auto
MPEG Noise Deduction - Auto
Dot Noise Reduction - Auto
Reality Creation - Auto
Video Area Detection - Off
Smooth Gradation - Low
Motionflow - Off
CineMotion - Auto

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Black Corrector - Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer - Off
Gamma - +1
LED Dynamic Control - Standard (anyone know the difference between Low and Standard?)
Auto Light Limiter - Off
Clear White - Off
Live Color - Low
White Balance - ALL 0 (might tweak this at some point to get rid of the red push)
Detail Enhancer - Low
Edge Enhancer - Medium
Skin Naturalizer - On

If those aren't to your liking, it's easy to hit reset to take them back to the default out-of-the-box "Standard" settings.

I'll update this if as I make adjustments. If anyone tries these settings and has comments good or bad, I would love to hear them. I'm open to suggestions!

Last edited by DaverJ; 09-16-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: turned Adv. Contrast to Off, upped Gamma to +1 to compensate
post #373 of 379 Old 09-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have now updated White Balance settings in my prior settings post. I did find many settings that had been corrupted in the Pro Picture Setup menu after the latest firmware upgrade and they have been corrected. This is the first time that an upgrade had changed any of my settings. Hopefully you'll find these settings more to your liking.

As you asked, be aware that each set is different and minor adjustments will need to be made to any recommended settings for each display; that's why it's hard for any manufacturer to get preset modes like Cinema perfect out of the box, though some models come with a THX mode that can come very close to perfect--Panasonic VT60 plasmas come to mind for great THX presets.

The major changes made in White Balance based on Hue being set to R1 are:

R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: -6
R-Bias: -3
G-Bias: -1
B-Bias: -2
Mr. Biggles likes this.
post #374 of 379 Old 09-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here's my current "TV watching during day or night" settings. The goal isn't accuracy as much, but a pleasing, bright picture for everyday TV viewing via Tivo. I have my Scene Select set to Auto (24p Sync), which switches to Cinema settings when change to the Blu-Ray player, Game settings when I switch to the PS4, then back to these "Standard" settings for watching Tivo.

Please note that these are completely eyeballed, not calibrated in any way. Also, these settings push red a tad too much, so if anyone has any suggestions to fix that, please let me know.

===

Under Settings > Preferences > Eco - all off (except Auto Shut-off which doesn't affect picture)

Picture Adjustments:
Setting Memory - Common
Picture Mode - Standard
*might be a good idea to hit Reset at this point because these are modified from the default Standard settings
Backlight - 3
Picture - 94
Brightness - 51
Color - 49
Hue - G1
Color Temperature - Warm 2
Sharpness - 70
Noise Reduction - Auto
MPEG Noise Deduction - Auto
Dot Noise Reduction - Auto
Reality Creation - Auto
Video Area Detection - Off
Smooth Gradation - Low
Motionflow - Off
CineMotion - Auto

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Black Corrector - Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer - Low
Gamma - 0
LED Dynamic Control - Standard (anyone know the difference between Low and Standard?)
Auto Light Limiter - Off
Clear White - Off
Live Color - Low
White Balance - ALL 0 (might tweak this at some point to get rid of the red push)
Detail Enhancer - Low
Edge Enhancer - Medium
Skin Naturalizer - On

If those aren't to your liking, it's easy to hit reset to take them back to the default out-of-the-box "Standard" settings.

I'll update this if as I make adjustments. If anyone tries these settings and has comments good or bad, I would love to hear them. I'm open to suggestions!
Curious as to what affect setting Skin Naturalizer to On has? I have not been able to find any difference between on and off and that's why I've been leaving it off. May need to play with that more, especially for the SD cable channels where skin tones frequently look bad.

As far as the difference between Low and Standard in LED Dynamic Control, it's very minimal as far as I can tell, usually not detectable--the menu says contrast optimized in individual sections of the screen, but if I detect anything I see brighter picture for the entire screen. All I really know is that Standard works best for me, much better than leaving it Off.
post #375 of 379 Old 09-16-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I updated the TV Viewing settings in post #372: Turned Adv. Contrast Enhancer to Off, and upped the Gamma to +1 to compensate.

Reason: normally the Adv. Contrast Enhancer looks nice, but noticed some blooming in faces during wide shots, i.e. a talk show with 3 or more people on-screen. Turning off Adv. Contrast Enhancer seems to correct this for the most part.
post #376 of 379 Old 09-28-2014, 03:02 AM

Finally have the S990 set up and on it's stand. Overall this is a fantastic TV. Cable HD feed looks great and Netflix as well. I'm still playing with the Xbox One/Xbox 360 settings. Anyone that's using this set for gaming what image settings are you using? I'm using Daver's settings for cable right now. Definitely a major difference between game mode on/off. Game mode off feels pretty floaty but game mode on is fantastic and the controls are very tight. I would say the input lag feels very close to my Dell U2414H which is rated around 1 frame of lag. I don't believe their is a better (large) TV on the market right now for gaming. I barely notice the curve of the screen from straight on but it definitely adds to the atmosphere of the TV in the room. Only issue I have come across is the tv even with it's feet is very short. This is an issue because I'm going to be adding a 5.1 Vizio sound bar soon and that would cover a good 2-4 inches of the bottom of the screen. I'm probably going to solve this issue by finding some glass bricks to prop the feet up a few inches. The TV sound is actually very good but I still miss a true 5.1 setup and woofer

Daver- I apologize if you answered this before but are you using the same settings for gaming? I notice the Xbox One has a TV calibration tool but i'm not sure if that's worth messing with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	283545  
Mr. Biggles and DaverJ like this.
post #377 of 379 Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
Daver- I apologize if you answered this before but are you using the same settings for gaming? I notice the Xbox One has a TV calibration tool but i'm not sure if that's worth messing with
RE: the sound bar - it's pricey, but you might want to consider this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_769CSB3....html?tp=36255

I use a shorter one for my center-channel speaker - looks nice and works great.

I have the Xbox One on a different TV, but here's my Game Mode settings I'm using for the PS4. One nice thing to note - if I set Scene Select to Auto (24p Sync), the settings automatically change to Game Mode when I switch over to PS4. They also change to Cinema when I select a 24p Blu-ray (which is most of them), and back to General switching back to Tivo. For the Blu-rays that aren't 24p, the scene select will switch to General, like it's a TV show. This is one of my favorite features on this TV.

GAME MODE SETTINGS:

Picture Adjustments:
Setting Memory - Common
Picture Mode - Game-Standard
Backlight - 2
Picture - 90
Brightness - 51
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Color Temperature - Warm 1
Sharpness - 65
Noise Reduction - Off (greyed out in Game Mode)
MPEG Noise Deduction - Off (greyed out in Game Mode)
Dot Noise Reduction - Off (greyed out in Game Mode)

Reality Creation - Off
Video Area Detection - Off (greyed out)
Resolution 20 (greyed out)
Noise Filtering Min (greyed out)

Smooth Gradation - Off
Motionflow - Off
CineMotion - Off (greyed out in Game Mode)

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Black Corrector - Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer - Off
Gamma - +1
LED Dynamic Control - Standard
Auto Light Limiter - Off
Clear White - Off
Live Color - Off
White Balance - ALL 0s
Detail Enhancer - Off
Edge Enhancer - Off
Skin Naturalizer - Off (greyed out in Game Mode)
Display Speed Preference On (greyed out in Game Mode)

In the PS4, under Video Output settings: 1080p, 65 inches, and the rest automatic.

It might be a good idea to go through the calibration tools in the Xbox One to see if any adjustments need to be made to make sure there's no black crush. If you have to make any adjustments, please post them. I may move the XBox One to this TV to try it out at some point, I'll update these settings if there's any changes.
Mr. Biggles likes this.

Last edited by DaverJ; 09-28-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #378 of 379 Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM

I didn't see any real point to the Xbox One calibration and I'm just rolling with your settings for now which look good. I'm either going to get the product you suggested or some brackets to mount the sound bar on top. TV continues to impress. I do notice the screen uniformity issues but I'm willing to accept this for a low lag large TV
post #379 of 379 Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
We just wall mounted one of these in our family room. Excellent image. We are using a Martin Logan Motion Vision soundbar with it. Great combo!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page