Official 2013 Sony KDL-S990A Curved LED Owner's Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #391 of 401 Old 06-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am waiting on my replacement exchange for the recertified one I just received a couple of weeks ago. The first one I received had some DSE on the left and right sides of the screen, clouding, and some dead pixels. Sent in some photos and was approved for an exchange. Luckily they had another recert to offer me. I have had quite a few different Sony models in the past and this has easily been the best I have ever found. That deep black panel is a game changer and I really believe the curved screen adds some depth to the 3d. I constantly compare it to my 65w950b and outside of off center viewing this set blows it away. My only pet peeve is how you cannot make picture adjustments while watching Netflix, my w950b allows it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 401 Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 3033
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post
I am waiting on my replacement exchange for the recertified one I just received a couple of weeks ago. The first one I received had some DSE on the left and right sides of the screen, clouding, and some dead pixels. Sent in some photos and was approved for an exchange. Luckily they had another recert to offer me. I have had quite a few different Sony models in the past and this has easily been the best I have ever found. That deep black panel is a game changer and I really believe the curved screen adds some depth to the 3d. I constantly compare it to my 65w950b and outside of off center viewing this set blows it away. My only pet peeve is how you cannot make picture adjustments while watching Netflix, my w950b allows it.
Let us know how this works out. I'd be surprised if you get one without at least some clouding.

The Netflix solution is Roku, Tivo, or a game console. The later is great choice because this set has some of the lowest (best) input lag on a TV you can buy.
post #393 of 401 Old 06-05-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Let us know how this works out. I'd be surprised if you get one without at least some clouding.

The Netflix solution is Roku, Tivo, or a game console. The later is great choice because this set has some of the lowest (best) input lag on a TV you can buy.

Thats actually been the solution I chose. The clouding would absolutely be the lesser of all evils for me. I can deal with clouding through bias lighting and/or local dimming.
post #394 of 401 Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM

Had an update tonight. Anyone know anything about it?
post #395 of 401 Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone experiencing issues with Netflix or YouTube? I have no issues till this week when I access these apps the tv shuts off and turns back on.
post #396 of 401 Old 10-14-2015, 12:03 PM

I tested mine and only once did Netflix shut down within like 5 seconds. Opened it and YouTube up and watched over an hour of content. I do not have my TV set to auto update so maybe there was a broken firmware update that went out. On my other sony something got pushed to the sets that made a ton of sets go into reboot loops before giving them the flashing red led but it was fixed with a usb update on my other set
post #397 of 401 Old 10-16-2015, 02:55 PM

I stand corrected. Having issues with Netflix now. I'll select an episode of a show, it'll begin to buffer, get to about 44% and I'll hear audio but see no video, it gets to 99% and shows video and then immediately closes Nerflix
post #398 of 401 Old 03-21-2016, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hi all,

I am looking for 1 of these 3 sony 1080p models: kdl65w850a, KDL65S990A, or kdl65w950b to upgrade my 7 or 8 year old kds60a3000. I've had no luck on ebay or craigslist after over a month of searching and figure this might be a decent venue to see if any of you folks are looking to sell yours. I am only looking for a set that is functioning perfectly. I am in westchester county, NY and would be willing to drive 150 miles or so to pick up. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks!
Luke
post #399 of 401 Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyboy13 View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for 1 of these 3 sony 1080p models: kdl65w850a, KDL65S990A, or kdl65w950b to upgrade my 7 or 8 year old kds60a3000. I've had no luck on ebay or craigslist after over a month of searching and figure this might be a decent venue to see if any of you folks are looking to sell yours. I am only looking for a set that is functioning perfectly. I am in westchester county, NY and would be willing to drive 150 miles or so to pick up. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks!
Luke
Have you tried Amazon. I had a hard time finding the S990A. I just happened to check the sony store (when it was still up) and got lucky there. I can understand the niche following for this set but why the others over whats available now? IPS and passive? You should be able to find the w950b on Amazon I would imagine. If I didnt live in FL I would gladly sell you one or the other to upgrade to 4k
post #400 of 401 Old 03-22-2016, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post
Have you tried Amazon. I had a hard time finding the S990A. I just happened to check the sony store (when it was still up) and got lucky there. I can understand the niche following for this set but why the others over whats available now? IPS and passive? You should be able to find the w950b on Amazon I would imagine. If I didnt live in FL I would gladly sell you one or the other to upgrade to 4k
Mainly price but also the lack of 4k content and continued non-standardization across the 4k sets. Coming from my kds60a3000, all new sony sets look better mainly due to vastly increased brightness and expanded color spectrum. If Sony didnt drop triluminos from the 1080p 850c, I'd just pick that one up. I figure I should be able to find one of the sets I am looking for for ~$700, assuming I can actually find one. Amazon does have the 950b, but there is no way I am paying $1900 for it when I could buy the 65" 4k 850c for the same or less.
post #401 of 401 Old 04-14-2016, 12:34 PM

So I never messed with the reality creation settings before but man is that a game changer. I always had it set to off but now I have it at 20 and its like a night and day difference.
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page