Official 2013 Sony KDL-S990A Curved LED Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 375 Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I was between this tv and the x900. I ended up with the x900 because no store around me has the tv displayed. Does the Sony store in NYC have it up? Really curious how it looks in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 375 Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Atom631, thanks for the pics.  I am looking to buy this tv also.  Thing is I work for Sony.  So if there is any questions you have I can answering them for you.  Only store that I see that has this on display is Conns in the SW part of the country.  Special stores that are dedicated for HT would have it also.  My question to you is I am on the fence to buy the X900 4k 55" or this tv because I sit about 12 ft. back.  To me I would want the extra screen size, since having this set are you glad you got it?

Thanks again for posting, when I saw this tv before it was released to the public I immediately took to it.  I have had the X900 in my home for training purposes and loved it also, but I want 65" and more theatre like in my home.  I hooked up my ps4 to the s990 and played in 3d as well it was jaw dropping.  How is the sound also. Have you tried running a seperate powered sub to the it.  There is an audio out jack on left side that can run to rca to run a sub, or are you not needing it?

Later,

Chris

post #33 of 375 Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 PM

Liked: 30

The problem with the kdl-65s990a is the 64 inch footprint.  The feet are not adjustable.  Sony kdl and xbr series have always allowed you to use a smaller tv table.  Even  the new w850b, w950b, x850b, x900b, and x950b will allow the legs to be pushed near the center for smaller tables.  I would buy it over the w850a for $500 more but have no furnishings or room for that huge footprint.  This is why it does not sell.  And it even has the deep black panel as the w900a giving it a classy inky black look when turned off.

post #34 of 375 Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
bump...
post #35 of 375 Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjee View Post

Well this is my first post. I just purchased this tv and so far am impressed by the quality. My only worry is "backlight bleed" I believe it is called. Does it go away, or is there a break in period for tvs?

[IMG]http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/370564/width/200/height/400[/I try to calibrate the backlight and brightness levels and that helps with the clouding. also, with time, and future updates, the probblem could get better over time. if its something you defenatly cant live with, i would try exchanging it for a another set. some tvs suffer from more clouding then others.
post #36 of 375 Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would love to see this TV. I hate to buy something unseen. If anybody knows of anyplace within 100 miles of Louisville KY where this TV is on display please post it or send me a pm.
Thanks cool.gif

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #37 of 375 Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTR420 View Post

I was between this tv and the x900. I ended up with the x900 because no store around me has the tv displayed. Does the Sony store in NYC have it up? Really curious how it looks in person.

I seriously had my mind set to purchase this TV also, but with the lack of reviews anywhere on the internet except for a couple videos shown last year when it was announced, I decided to go with the x900a myself. The Trilluminous and passive 3D display drew me to this set. After much debating and deciding, it was best to future proof myself and go with a 4K set. The prices have come down resonably on the x900. I felt more comfortable buying a TV that so many people have and reviewed than one that has been pretty much forgotten.

My current system;

Sony XBR 65x900a

Pioneer Elite SC-67, running 7.1 with Front Highs

Klipsch Reference series, RF 35, RC 35, RS 35, RS 42

SVS 20-39 pci

Belkin Pure AV PF60
post #38 of 375 Old 03-26-2014, 05:34 PM

Liked: 13
Bump..Does anyone know of any reviews on this set? as many in the thread have said very little info is out there..Im surprised to not see 1 pro review..

Question for Atom631..I read a review on Crutchfield and the reviewer had said that on channels like CNN and CNBC the crawl at the bottom of the screen looks a bit strange at times and sometimes appears to slow down abit because of the curve have you noticed any thing in regards to this

Thanks
Hunter
post #39 of 375 Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 PM

Liked: 23
Just got done calibrating this TV, I must say they did a pretty good job at calibrating it out of the box. Gray scale need almost no adjustments. If you have avs HD disc and calibrate the brightness and picture. You're pretty much good to go. I dont like auto brightness so I turn that off and adjust backlight to get 29fLb. The gamut is also spot on, besides blue be a bit high, but still below 3. Sharpness is pretty much spot on also, the preset came in at 50. I went ahead and readjust that to 49ish, so 50 would be fine.For gamers, if you have it at gamemode-original. Thats the most accurate grayscale as far as I measured it to cinema mode. You just have to calibrate the bightness and picture setting,and sharpness. Mine for this mode is 43.
Mr. Biggles and DaverJ like this.
post #40 of 375 Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post

Just got done calibrating this TV.

Pics? redface.gif

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41 of 375 Old 03-28-2014, 05:22 PM

Here you go, as requested. I can't get my camera to take picture with out lines to save my life, i had to unfocus the lens just a bit to get rid of it. this is the best i can do, the picture color is abit off. I don't know how to make Canon T3i not to add any color to the pictures.

DaverJ likes this.
post #42 of 375 Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here you go, as requested. I can't get my camera to take picture with out lines to save my life,

Totally understandable! Taking a digital photo (pixels) of a digital screen (also pixels!) is an exercise in frustration. But your pics turned out great, and the shadow detail looks excellent! Thanks for posting.

If you don't mind, may I request a bright scene - ideally something close to to solid white screen? Looking for uniformity, especially on the left and right edges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 375 Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Totally understandable! Taking a digital photo (pixels) of a digital screen (also pixels!) is an exercise in frustration. But your pics turned out great, and the shadow detail looks excellent! Thanks for posting.

If you don't mind, may I request a bright scene - ideally something close to to solid white screen? Looking for uniformity, especially on the left and right edges.

Here you go, i'm not sure which IRE you want so I'll just post all of it. The camera make the uniformity seem obvious, not sure if it's because of 18mega pixel is taking the picture of it. in the picture you can see it, in real world you can't.

post #44 of 375 Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here you go, i'm not sure which IRE you want so I'll just post all of it. The camera make the uniformity seem obvious, not sure if it's because of 18mega pixel is taking the picture of it. in the picture you can see it, in real world you can't.

Very helpful, thanks again!

Again, a digital camera captures a digital image very different from the eye, so viewing pictures have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm jealous of your set - very tempted. I don't know why this Sony TV was pretty much ignored. Maybe buried by Sony? I think the slight curve is very appealing, has almost no input lag, and by the looks of it, a very nice screen.

Thanks again for posting - enjoy your new TV!
Mr. Biggles likes this.

post #45 of 375 Old 03-30-2014, 05:09 AM

Anyone here familure with motion setting on Sony tvs? Im always been a Samsung fan. I know in Samsung, motion setting set tonclear offer the best picture quality with out soap opera. Sony have much of options here. Like reality,motionflow, etc. Im confused.
post #46 of 375 Old 03-30-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've now had this set for a months time.

First let me say I'm happy I ignored the naysayers when it comes to curved screens. I find nothing negative about it. It's actually more of a plus than anything. The curve is subtle and viewing angles no worse than a flat LED screen. Those that don't believe need to see these curved screens in person before passing judgement.

Yes, some flash lighting is present when no signal is fed, (show me an LED that doesn't exhibit this to some degree) but except for certain difficult dark scenes in critical viewing (dark room with bias lighting) it's mostly mitigated with local dimming. Completely undetectable during daytime or room lit night viewing.

Uniformity wise, as good as I've seen with my unit. No DSE at all. Stunning picture. Really. Gamers will love this TV.

I use screen scene Auto (24p Sync) which selects Cinema mode for 24Hz signals (BD viewing) and behaves as Auto for all other signals.

Why Sony has limited this TV to so few retail channels (if indeed it is them doing this) it's a shame really. Maybe with the curved screen trend gaining traction for 2014 things will change.
DaverJ likes this.
post #47 of 375 Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

New instant rebate offered on this now, presume to jump start sales, and it's resulted in back order @ Sony site. $2500 is priced well for this. Sadly I just paid $250 more than that just over a month ago.
DaverJ likes this.
post #48 of 375 Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post

New instant rebate offered on this now, presume to jump start sales, and it's resulted in back order @ Sony site. $2500 is priced well for this. Sadly I just paid $250 more than that just over a month ago.

It's now available from Amazon for under $2500 new, and a couple unused "opened box" for $2300.

It looks like it's being phased out and I would guess it won't stick around for long. Might be time to jump! redface.gif

EDIT: Crutchfield also has it the instant rebate price of $2500.
Mr. Biggles likes this.

post #49 of 375 Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks like it's being phased out and I would guess it won't stick around for long. Might be time to jump! redface.gif

Hopefully not being phased out that quickly considering it was just released Fall of 2013. I'm guessing, but it's initial pricing seemed way too high. The new pricing (with 'instant' rebate) is more competitive with other sets in it's class.
post #50 of 375 Old 03-31-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post

I've now had this set for a months time.
Quote:

Just got done calibrating this TV, I must say they did a pretty good job at calibrating it out of the box.

Getting close to pulling the trigger. cool.gif

Can someone tell me the distance tip to tip of the side mounted feet please? From the edge of the left foot to the edge of the right foot. I have a 70" TV stand for this to sit on and I would hate it if the feet hang over the edge.

EDIT: I just pulled the trigger - it will be delivered next Tuesday! biggrin.gif I'm still curious about the feet edge-to-edge measurement please.

post #51 of 375 Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can someone tell me the distance tip to tip of the side mounted feet please? From the edge of the left foot to the edge of the right foot. I have a 70" TV stand for this to sit on and I would hate it if the feet hang over the edge.

EDIT: I just pulled the trigger - it will be delivered next Tuesday! biggrin.gif I'm still curious about the feet edge-to-edge measurement please.

Congrats! You will be quite pleased.

- Without Stand: 64-3/8" x 33-1/4" x 4-7/8" (3-3/4")
- With Stand: 65" x 34" x 13-1/4"

Your 70" wide stand will be perfect.
DaverJ likes this.
post #52 of 375 Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:

The TV is heavy, make sure you have 2 people atleast to set it up.
DaverJ likes this.
post #53 of 375 Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The TV is heavy, make sure you have 2 people atleast to set it up.

Thanks for the tip - I hope Amazon's delivery includes setting it on the stand and power it on. Their website says they should.

According to Sony site, the S990a is 106 pounds with stand, and the TV it's replacing is a 130-pound rear-projection TV. eek.gif

post #54 of 375 Old 03-31-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the tip - I hope Amazon's delivery includes setting it on the stand and power it on. Their website says they should.

According to Sony site, the S990a is 106 pounds with stand, and the TV it's replacing is a 130-pound rear-projection TV. eek.gif

I didn't get mine from Amazon, but their enhanced delivery is supposed to do just that. Inside delivery, unbox, set tv in place and remove debris. That's what supposed to happen in theory. Last time I got a TV from them with enhanced delivery, the shipping company sub-contractor showed up in a van with just the driver. I had to help him bring it inside. Make sure when they contact you for delivery that you explain what the type of delivery you expect, per Amazon.

On a side note, a new software download just came down. No idea what it did/was for. Second since I got the set.
DaverJ likes this.
post #55 of 375 Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Yeah, me and my body had to carry it up 4 stories. The Japanese elevator are small.
post #56 of 375 Old 04-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18

Hello all, I think I found my new favorite thread;-) I have been following the thread on the W850A since December and I also work for Sony's HD sales. I have had the W850A mounted on the wall of the store that I work at since late October. I love the picture of this tv and having it a couple of feet away from the 65X900A & 65X850A it holds up very well and actually has received many many comments from customers saying they like the W850A better than the 4K and obviously being almost half the price of the X900 is hands down the trigger for sales. What I didn't like about the W850 is the amount of customers who have bought it and posted here on AVS that they have had screen problems. I forget all the terms used but if I am paying overy 2k for a tv I want it as close to perfect as possible. When the pricing on the S990 dropped to 3K, I started following it seriously and now it's a no brainer for me. Again, i'd be buying site unseen but having worked with Sony TV's almost 2 years now I know they have some units that are amazing.

Let me say that there are a lot of great people on the W850A thread and I have enjoyed the comments, sharing of calibration and so much more. I'll be following both threads and if it makes any sense once I get this unit, I might try some of their calibrations settings and suggestions. I have too searched for this tv in a local retailer and have had no luck, mind you I live in Ft. Lauderdale and you would think that someone between Palm Beach county through Miami-Dade would have this unit but nada so far. Even had my Sony supervisors tell me they don't know of anybody physically carrying it. Great information from all of you and i'm glad to see more and more reviews popping up on Amazon and  several others from customers who have taken the plunge. One more thing, I sincerely believe that Sony has done a great job with the 4K's TV's but I feel they need a few more years for more standards, technology and obviously content to come along, plus most importantly I don't have the 4K to drop on a 4K in my budget.

Regards,

Ricky d

post #57 of 375 Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone here familure with motion setting on Sony tvs? Im always been a Samsung fan. I know in Samsung, motion setting set tonclear offer the best picture quality with out soap opera. Sony have much of options here. Like reality,motionflow, etc. Im confused.

kanti - Did you find a motion setting that worked for you? Are you experiencing Soap Opera Effect?

post #58 of 375 Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 PM

Yes, clear is the best setting for me. As for soap opera effect only happens in a rare occasion. Might be because I was looking for it. My old 55 is a 240hz TV. So I have to get use to it a bit. But for game mode, the TV works awesomely.
Quote:

kanti - Did you find a motion setting that worked for you? Are you experiencing Soap Opera Effect?
DaverJ likes this.
post #59 of 375 Old 04-03-2014, 11:51 PM

Liked: 11
After seeing the price drop I have to consider this TV, I been looking for 65 or bigger was looking forward for the 70 w850b but I was not happy when I saw in person. I going to check it out tomorrow at my local sony store. So far I like the triluminous, the speakers, deep black panel and 3d passive. I never consider because of the price. My budget is 2500 so this price drop came at the right time.
Mr. Biggles likes this.
post #60 of 375 Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a 65" tv right now and would consider buying this one, but it's still $4000 in Canada. For $2500, I would totally jump on it.

What are the input lag stats for the S990?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page