post #61 of 326 Old 04-04-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandson View Post

What are the input lag stats for the S990?

According to displaylag.com , the S990a has 18ms of input lag, which I believe is less than a single frame. That's about as low as you can get on a TV (non-computer monitor).

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 326 Old 04-04-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This set is also available on Sony's web store for $2499.00 With 30 Day return with RMA from sony. Has anybody found any professional reviews on this set anywhere? All of the reviews from Amazon are very positive. The W900 got great reviews. If this is the same set only with a bigger & curved screen I may just have to jump on it for that price.

Thanks
Carl

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #63 of 326 Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi, I am also interested in this TV, but can not find it anywhere to see it in person.

May I kindly ask if one of the owners could post a picture of this TV while turned off in a lit room? I just would like to see how this TV looks in a real live daylight setting when turned off, how reflective the screen is etc.. It seems to be a reflective screen and I am concerned about the glare. My current TV has a matte screen. All photos I can find on the internet are of course with the TV turned on.

Thank you very much!
post #64 of 326 Old 04-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichtkomisch View Post

Hi, I am also interested in this TV, but can not find it anywhere to see it in person.

May I kindly ask if one of the owners could post a picture of this TV while turned off in a lit room? I just would like to see how this TV looks in a real live daylight setting when turned off, how reflective the screen is etc.. It seems to be a reflective screen and I am concerned about the glare. My current TV has a matte screen. All photos I can find on the internet are of course with the TV turned on.

Thank you very much!

Hi, I found this on the web. It's in Japanese but picture is good. Looks kind of reflective in sun light. I'm in the same boat. Would love to see this in the wild before I plop down $2500.

http://elec.it168.com/a2013/1210/1571/000001571722_all.shtml]

Maybe somebody can translate this. It could be a review with some image measurements.

CPTuell
post #65 of 326 Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post

Hi, I found this on the web. It's in Japanese but picture is good. Looks kind of reflective in sun light. I'm in the same boat. Would love to see this in the wild before I plop down $2500.

Maybe somebody can translate this. It could be a review with some image measurements.

Copy and paste the link in Google Chrome and click on translate and BOOM it's in English although a little choppy. I apologize to any who may have been offended but it's in Chinese not Japanese. wink.gif

CPTuell
post #66 of 326 Old 04-04-2014, 02:35 PM

Some hidden reviews!! Click on some of these pics and go to the sites. I've found a couple of reviews although they were in Chinese. If you open them in Chrome and click on the option to translate they will be readable. I've found 2 different reviews here so far. Haven't had time to go through very many yet. Look through them and if you find some good info let us know. I will keep prowling.

https://www.google.com/search?q=65s990a&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6R0_U-HCOMWbygHqooGICw&sqi=2&ved=0CIgBELAE&biw=1920&bih=971

CPTuell
post #67 of 326 Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Thanks for the link. I did use Google Chrome translation, and while a bit difficult to read, the main jist of the review is easily decipherable. I'm even more happy now owning the set after reading through the long review.

That photo is very representative of the reflective aspects of the screen. I have it facing south in a south facing living room with a large bay window. When the TV is on, the reflectivity is a non-issue for the most part. But I would be lying if I said you can't see anything, because you can when there are large black areas in the scene being watched. But it doesn't jump out at you, you have to look for it.

post #68 of 326 Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the link, CPTuell! Very informative, same good new pictures. I really like the design, but without seeing it in person, I just can't get myself to buy that thing. Nowhere to be found in the Cincinnati area either and the Sony store at our mall is long closed. Must be the unicorn of televisions...
post #69 of 326 Old 04-04-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post

Thanks for the link. I did use Google Chrome translation, and while a bit difficult to read, the main jist of the review is easily decipherable. I'm even more happy now owning the set after reading through the long review.

That photo is very representative of the reflective aspects of the screen. I have it facing south in a south facing living room with a large bay window. When the TV is on, the reflectivity is a non-issue for the most part. But I would be lying if I said you can't see anything, because you can when there are large black areas in the scene being watched. But it doesn't jump out at you, you have to look for it.

So it is basically a fully reflective sheet of glass on that screen, like on an iPad for instance? Would you say the curve's concave shape makes the reflections worse ? Thanks for your insight.
post #70 of 326 Old 04-05-2014, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it is basically a fully reflective sheet of glass on that screen, like on an iPad for instance? Would you say the curve's concave shape makes the reflections worse ? Thanks for your insight.

I have an iPad....that can be used as a mirror. S990A is no where near that reflective. It's obvious they are using some kind of anti-reflective coating. Honestly, the curve doesn't make it any better or worse for that matter.
nichtkomisch likes this.
post #71 of 326 Old 04-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the link, CPTuell! Very informative, same good new pictures. I really like the design, but without seeing it in person, I just can't get myself to buy that thing. Nowhere to be found in the Cincinnati area either and the Sony store at our mall is long closed. Must be the unicorn of televisions...

I found another review on from Consumer Reports. I have printed it and scanned it as jpegs below. Just to say, it was not a great review. Their highest rated Sony was the X900 4K set. How does this forum feel about CR AV reviews as compared to other sources. I sometimes feel they are somewhat biased even though they do not take ads from the reviewed.

CRTVRatings_Review.jpeg 398k .jpeg file
Image6.jpg 398k .jpg file
Image7.jpg 401k .jpg file
Image8.jpg 392k .jpg file
Image9.jpg 434k .jpg file
Image10.jpg 771k .jpg file
Image11.jpg 658k .jpg file
Image12.jpg 309k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image12.jpg (309.2 KB, 18 views)
DaverJ likes this.

CPTuell
post #72 of 326 Old 04-05-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found another review on from Consumer Reports. I have printed it and scanned it as jpegs below. Just to say, it was not a great review. Their highest rated Sony was the X900 4K set. How does this forum feel about CR AV reviews as compared to other sources. I sometimes feel they are somewhat biased even though they do not take ads from the reviewed.

Image10.jpg 771k .jpg file

Thanks so much for posting that CPTuell! "Image10", quoted above, seems to be the main gist of the review.

TL;DR version: Consumer Reports loved the detail/clarity, and liked the colors a lot. On the downside, they were disappointed with black level (drat!), saw some blurring during motion, and noticed some uneven brightness, which they say is common complaint for LED TVs. Also, the image degrades when viewing off-axis (not directly in center), again common with these TVs.

They also pointed out the glass is very reflective. And the 3D is very good/no ghosting - albeit passive 3D which cuts resolution in half.

The review seem very fair and unbiased. I noticed at least one mistake - on image 11 they list the framerate is 480Hz, which I believe is incorrect . This TV has "Motionflow XR 480" -- Sony's way of saying it's a 240Hz panel with optional frame interpolation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this. EDIT: Just noticed Amazon claims this is a 120Hz set - I'm confused if a 120 TV could have Motionflow XR 480?

So a few caveats to keep in mind, and I'm glad it's lowered my expectations for Tuesday's delivery.

CPTuell - how does this CR review compare the their reviews of Sony's W900A and W850A?

post #73 of 326 Old 04-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Thanks so much for posting that CPTuell! "Image10", quoted above, seems to be the main gist of the review.

TL;DR version: Consumer Reports loved the detail/clarity, and liked the colors a lot. On the downside, they were disappointed with black level (drat!), saw some blurring during motion, and noticed some uneven brightness, which they say is common complaint for LED TVs. Also, the image degrades when viewing off-axis (not directly in center), again common with these TVs.

They also pointed out the glass is very reflective. And the 3D is very good/no ghosting - albeit passive 3D which cuts resolution in half.

The review seem very fair and unbiased. I noticed at least one mistake - on image 11 they list the framerate is 480Hz, which I believe is incorrect . This TV has "Motionflow XR 480" -- Sony's way of saying it's a 240Hz panel with optional frame interpolation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this.

So a few caveats to keep in mind, and I'm glad it's lowered my expectations for Tuesday's delivery.

CPTuell - how does this CR review compare the their reviews of Sony's W900A and W850A?

Hi DaverJ,
They did not review the W850 only the W900. They gave it a score of 69 vs 66 for the S990. They gave it an Excellent for HD picture, but a below average for the 3D (Active vs the passive on the S990) for ghosting and jitter. I'm wanting a 65" either 1080P or 4K, passive 3D only. Whichever I can get the most bang for my $. I sit directly in front about 14ft away, so I'm not sure the 4K would look any better at that distance. It's starting to narrow down to a new LG 65LB7200 or 7100, The 4K LG 65LA9700 if they ever drop the price to under $4k or the 4K Sony XBR-65x950A. Trying to decide this is worse than buying a car. I seem to make a decision, then read or learn something new and start all over again. What a P.I.t.A.

CPTuell
post #74 of 326 Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks for finding this. yes, not a glorious review. I think it moved me further away from this TV. What a pity.
Consumer reports seem to diss passive 3D, I don't agree with them in that regard.
post #75 of 326 Old 04-05-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

CR review settings on my set exhibit washed out contrast with resultant poor blacks. Not sure what firmware they did this review under, but the settings they posted look bad on my set. I know panels vary, and this could well contribute, but not this bad.

CR overall rating places too much weight on things like remote ease of use, on screen menu ease of use and versatility (whatever that means). When they have a LG LA8600 rated higher than a Sammy F8500, I know something just ain't right.

Can't argue with their off angle viewing comments. Back light uniformity is another thing I don't agree with. Again, panel variance can factor in here big time. Passive 3D, even with it's warts, is better than active.
DaverJ likes this.
post #76 of 326 Old 04-05-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post

CR review settings on my set exhibit washed out contrast with resultant poor blacks. Not sure what firmware they did this review under, but the settings they posted look bad on my set. I know panels vary, and this could well contribute, but not this bad.

CR overall rating places too much weight on things like remote ease of use, on screen menu ease of use and versatility (whatever that means). When they have a LG LA8600 rated higher than a Sammy F8500, I know something just ain't right.

Can't argue with their off angle viewing comments. Back light uniformity is another thing I don't agree with. Again, panel variance can factor in here big time. Passive 3D, even with it's warts, is better than active.

Thanks for posting Mr. B!

In addition to giving the wrong framerate for this set, in image12 CR also lists that it has "0" Component inputs, which is incorrect. Also, they listed the price as $5000, which was never the price - the initial MSRP was $4000. I wonder if they weighted that erroneous price in their review? I'm starting to take this Consumer Reports review with a big grain of salt.

btw, they used firmware PKG2.901AAA for review.
schowtyme likes this.

post #77 of 326 Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In addition to giving the wrong framerate for this set, in image12 CR also lists that it has "0" Component inputs, which is incorrect. Also, they listed the price as $5000, which was never the price - the initial MSRP was $4000. I wonder if they weighted that erroneous price in their review? I'm starting to take this Consumer Reports review with a big grain of salt.

Price weighs heavily in their reviews overall rating. I understand value for the dollar is important, but that element should be broken down and given it's own value.

I'm not sure what their source was for the calibration settings, but they worded the review comments such as they were the 'best overall'. As I said earlier, with my general viewing (Fios), they are washed out and lacking contrast. I used a calibration disk (DVE HD Basics) with a Sony BD S6200 to calibrate 'Cinema' mode for BD viewing and the other video content on that player (Netflix etc) and tried the best I could to emulate that visually for 'Standard' mode for general Fios/regular TV watching. Settings are very source dependent.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate independent reviews, and in the case of the S990A which hasn't seen many, this is welcome. I would like to see CNET do one which I would put more weight into their conclusion.

Oh, and current software version is PKG4.401AAA
DaverJ and schowtyme like this.
post #78 of 326 Old 04-06-2014, 06:17 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

The review seem very fair and unbiased. I noticed at least one mistake - on image 11 they list the framerate is 480Hz, which I believe is incorrect . This TV has "Motionflow XR 480" -- Sony's way of saying it's a 240Hz panel with optional frame interpolation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this.

Looking forward to your review of this set once you receive it. Thanks.
post #79 of 326 Old 04-06-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:

I've have been a little leery of CR's TV reviews, that's why I posted it here to get this forums feedback. When I bought my Samsung HL-s6188W 1080P DLP set 7 yrs ago every review I read on it was very good. It won the Home Theater Mag 10 Best TV shoot out. CR rated it nowhere near the top. I'm beginning to think they test things the way the majority of people use them.......Buy it, bring it home, take it out of the box, plug it in, turn it on and watch it as is. We have a couple of friends who recently (within last 6 mo.) bought new LED TV's. Both 60" Samsungs. They were at my house a couple of weeks ago and said "Did you get a new TV? Your picture looks even better than ours." I told them I had it calibrated for about $400, 7 yrs ago. They won't do that, but now I'm taking my calibration DVD's to their house along with picture settings for their models from these forums. I did see their TV's after they got them and they really thought they had a great picture. I think they both had them on store mode. very bright no shadow detail and crushed blacks. Looked ok for sports only. I felt like it would be rude to tell them the picture on their new TV that they just dropped a wad of cash on sucked. So now they ask me to adjust theirs. Can't charge friends but will get plenty of pizza and beer. smile.gif Probably should do the adjusting before the beer.wink.gif

Does anybody that has one of these set live in or near Louisville, KY. I would love to see.

CPTuell
post #80 of 326 Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM

Two new and very positive reviews are posted on Amazon, btw..
DaverJ likes this.
post #81 of 326 Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, although a little disappointed with Nismoblack's mention of slight flashlighting. My fingers are crossed that's just his set, or he's more sensitive to it than I am or it's more noticeable in his basement. Nice that he mentions during complete fades to black the LED backlights shut off, so no flashlighting during black scenes - local dimming at work! cool.gif

This time tomorrow I should have mine set up and running. I've waited for years to get a new TV, so I'm very excited. biggrin.gif I'll post initial thoughts here, and maybe a pic or two.
schowtyme likes this.

post #82 of 326 Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Yep, although a little disappointed with Nismoblack's mention of slight flashlighting. My fingers are crossed that's just his set, or he's more sensitive to it than I am or it's more noticeable in his basement. Nice that he mentions during complete fades to black the LED backlights shut off, so no flashlighting during black scenes - local dimming at work! cool.gif

This time tomorrow I should have mine set up and running. I've waited for years to get a new TV, so I'm very excited. biggrin.gif I'll post initial thoughts here, and maybe a pic or two.

Looking forward to your first impressions!
DaverJ likes this.
post #83 of 326 Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Look what just arrived! cool.gif

Quick first impressions in a daylight room - very impressed and satisfied.

PROS: Looks great off (deep black panel), even better on. Like the curve. Out-of-the-box settings are excellent. Picture details and colors are fantastic. Excellent black levels, no flashlighting. Undetectable input lag. No worry of plasma fade, image retention, or burn-in.
CONS: two minor quibbles - screen uniformity not perfect, visible only with a solid color/white screen. Also, fairly reflective screen in a bright room, noticeable during black scenes. And the refection is skewed, similar to a "makeup mirror" because of the curve.

Overall, the pros heavily outweigh the cons so far. The wife LOVES it! I haven't touched the scene, screen or 3D options yet. I'll have more pics and thoughts when I've spent more time with it.

If you are on the fence, the only caveat is the reflective screen in a bright room might turn some people off. But other than that, I'm very impressed so far.

post #84 of 326 Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

PROS: Looks great off (deep black panel), even better on. Like the curve. Out-of-the-box settings are excellent. Picture details and colors are fantastic. Excellent black levels, no flashlighting. Undetectable input lag. No worry of plasma fade, image retention, or burn-in.
CONS: two minor quibbles - screen uniformity not perfect, visible only with a solid color/white screen. Also, fairly reflective screen in a bright room, noticeable during black scenes. And the refection is skewed, similar to a "makeup mirror" because of the curve.

Overall, the pros heavily outweigh the cons so far. The wife LOVES it! I haven't touched the scene, screen or 3D options yet. I'll have more pics and thoughts when I've spent more time with it.

If you are on the fence, the only caveat is the reflective screen in a bright room might turn some people off. But other than that, I'm very impressed so far.

Looks great! It seems to have the same screen coating as the w900a, which is what makes the image pop with color and depth. To me the trade off is well worth it for the increase in picture quality. I would get this tv if it was not curved. frown.gif
post #85 of 326 Old 04-08-2014, 11:44 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks so much for the impressions. I have one of these arriving in a few weeks but I'm putting it in the family room with lots of windows. Do you think the curve exaggerates reflections and makes them worse than a flat screen? I was hoping that the curve would actually decrease the reflections or that maybe Sony would use a more matte finish if the curve increases reflections.

Also, did you notice any clouding?

Lastly, do you think the curve would make it harder to wall mount?
post #86 of 326 Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stand worked out perfect I see.

Looks good. With the speakers on the sides, the TV is a behemoth but for some reason not room dominating like I expected when I got mine.

Get 24p Cinema mode calibrated for your BD viewing. Real 1080p looks amazing.
post #87 of 326 Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schowtyme View Post

Mines on a wall mount attached to a pedestal stand. It's a non-issue. The area the wall mount attaches to the back of the set is flat..
post #88 of 326 Old 04-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I submitted 3 Questions to the buyers on Amazon:

Replies as of Noon on 4/8/2014

A seller answered your question, "Is Amazon Video service one of the apps? How is the motion blurring and does it suffer from the Soap Opera Effect? Do blacks look good in dark room?" about Sony KDL65S990A Curved 65-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D....

1. Wizard Electronics New York answered:

"Hello,
Amazon Video is one of the apps and the tv doesn't have any problems with motion blurring that I'm aware of, but you can always adjust the setting to your liking, even to remove the "soap opera effect" because it's usually in one of the display setting options. Also blacks look great in a black room.
Regards,
Wizard"

2. Daniel R. Hawley answered on April 8, 2014
Yes Amazon is one of the apps, I have not noticed motion blurring or soap opera effect. Blacks look good to me.

The 1st answer is from a seller on Amazon, so take it for what it's worth. The second is from a verified Amazon buyer. If anymore replies come I will post them.

CPTuell
post #89 of 326 Old 04-08-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Looks great! It seems to have the same screen coating as the w900a, which is what makes the image pop with color and depth. To me the trade off is well worth it for the increase in picture quality. I would get this tv if it was not curved. frown.gif

When the 2014 Sammy H8000 arrive (since the S990A set is near to impossible to find in a store) go have a look at the curved screen units that will surely be at your local B&M store. Then decide....you may/may not change your mind/opinion.
post #90 of 326 Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schowtyme View Post

Thanks so much for the impressions. I have one of these arriving in a few weeks but I'm putting it in the family room with lots of windows. Do you think the curve exaggerates reflections and makes them worse than a flat screen? I was hoping that the curve would actually decrease the reflections or that maybe Sony would use a more matte finish if the curve increases reflections.

Also, did you notice any clouding?

I've only spent a short time with it, so my initial reactions to your questions are:

The reflections in a bright, sunny room are noticeable during dark scenes. And because of the curve, the reflections are distorted and more focused to a narrow area. If I lean left and right, the reflections move back and forth quickly. Hard to explain, i hope this makes sense?

Clouding - I had to load up the solid red, blue, green and white screens from the Disney WOW disc, and yes, I saw some minor clouding - most noticeable in red. Thankfully, I couldn't detect any clouding with normal content, and nothing in dark or black scenes so far. I was concerned about this, but after seeing content in action I feel it's a non-issue.

Wall mount - this sucker is heavy (106 pounds), but not as thick as expected. Wall mounting shouldn't be a problem with a well-anchored mount and strong people lifting it.

Hope this helps! Any other question or concerns, please post!
nichtkomisch likes this.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page