post #91 of 378 Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichtkomisch View Post

Hi, I am also interested in this TV, but can not find it anywhere to see it in person.

May I kindly ask if one of the owners could post a picture of this TV while turned off in a lit room? I just would like to see how this TV looks in a real live daylight setting when turned off, how reflective the screen is etc.. It seems to be a reflective screen and I am concerned about the glare. My current TV has a matte screen. All photos I can find on the internet are of course with the TV turned on.

Thank you very much!

Here's a quickie from an iPhone, click to see it bigger:

Edit - in this pic it still has the protective film on the top and bottom silver trim, held in with strips of blue tape.
Mr. Biggles and nichtkomisch like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 378 Old 04-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Edit - in this pic it still has the protective film on the top and bottom silver trim, held in with strips of blue tape.

Awesome! Thanks for your quick posts! This is a beautiful designed TV..
we have LOTS of windows in our living room, so reflections are biggest concern. Stock on Amazon is dwindling fast...(Amazon removed "more on the way")
post #93 of 378 Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
That tv looks really good there. Congrats on the tv, hope you enjoy it!
DaverJ likes this.
post #94 of 378 Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Awesome! Thanks for your quick posts! This is a beautiful designed TV..
we have LOTS of windows in our living room, so reflections are biggest concern. Stock on Amazon is dwindling fast...(Amazon removed "more on the way")

It's still available on Sony's Website Store for $2499. Last week their site said out of stock. This week they are in stock again. Free Shipping or around $180 to unbox and place on stand. More to mount on wall. 30 day return policy with RMA and shipping label provided by sony.

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #95 of 378 Old 04-08-2014, 02:18 PM

Liked: 16
Mr. Biggles

Thanks, it makes sense that the back would be flat, I guess I was thinking that there might be some type of custom solution required for wall mounting, but it sounds like a standard mount should be fine.

DaverJ

Thanks for the quick follow up. I'm relieved the clouding isn't bad on your set, hopefully that bodes well for mine.

Also that completely makes sense about the reflections being focused on one area, sounds sort of like one of those prisms you played with at the museum when you were a kid. I guess in a way it localizes the reflections which is sort of better? Have to see for myself I guess. That is good advice about 2 strong people for wall mounting.

So I know it is early but it sounds like this tv is a keeper? At the current price it is cheaper than the flat Samsung 65 8000 series from last year, if you've seen that set do you think this is comparable in picture quality?
post #96 of 378 Old 04-08-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schowtyme View Post

So I know it is early but it sounds like this tv is a keeper? At the current price it is cheaper than the flat Samsung 65 8000 series from last year, if you've seen that set do you think this is comparable in picture quality?

As of Day 1, yes - the S990a is a keeper.

I have an older Samsung that I use as a computer and game console display (typing on this at the moment), which I like a lot. Sammys displays are bright and sharp, and I love the pop for game graphics. Yet I like Sony's color accuracy better for movies and TV.

I have seen the 8000 series Sammy at Best Buy, and it's very nice. I haven't seen Sammy and Sony side-by-side, but based on memory the S990a is comparable to an 8000 in terms of image detail and resolution. The Samsung might be a little brighter if that's your thing, but I think Sony's Triluminos colors are hard to beat. Also, the MotionFlow on the S990a seems much improved over previous versions on different sets I've seen (older Sonys and Samsungs) that give the dreaded "soap-opera effect". If you play games, Sony's displays in Game Mode have near zero input lag - Samsung's not nearly as great, but not terrible. Both Samsung and Sony are excellent choices.

I still have a feeling the S990a is being phased out soon, and I wonder if Sony will continue with curved screens..?
post #97 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:

As of Day 1, yes - the S990a is a keeper.

I have an older Samsung that I use as a computer and game console display (typing on this at the moment), which I like a lot. Sammys displays are bright and sharp, and I love the pop for game graphics. Yet I like Sony's color accuracy better for movies and TV.

I have seen the 8000 series Sammy at Best Buy, and it's very nice. I haven't seen Sammy and Sony side-by-side, but based on memory the S990a is comparable to an 8000 in terms of image detail and resolution. The Samsung might be a little brighter if that's your thing, but I think Sony's Triluminos colors are hard to beat. Also, the MotionFlow on the S990a seems much improved over previous versions on different sets I've seen (older Sonys and Samsungs) that give the dreaded "soap-opera effect". If you play games, Sony's displays in Game Mode have near zero input lag - Samsung's not nearly as great, but not terrible. Both Samsung and Sony are excellent choices.

I still have a feeling the S990a is being phased out soon, and I wonder if Sony will continue with curved screens..?

Amazon has now the curved Samsung UN65H8000 in stock, although quite more expensive.
post #98 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post

It's still available on Sony's Website Store for $2499. Last week their site said out of stock. This week they are in stock again. Free Shipping or around $180 to unbox and place on stand. More to mount on wall. 30 day return policy with RMA and shipping label provided by sony.

Also at Crutchfield. better return policy, I guess.
post #99 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM

DaverJ

That's great, I'm getting more excited about my tv's arrival. I like the brightness of Samsung but I think I'll be fine with the Sony, as long as it works with all the windows in the room.

I've tried to research the Triluminos technology, it sounds like it deepens the colors but hopefully without distorting the original source's tint. I'm interested to see if I notice a difference versus my previous Samsung tv, or better yet if my wife notices without me mentioning it.

I saw the price of the new Samsung UN65H8000, but I find it hard to believe it will be worth the 30% premium to this tv, which has essentially the same specs. I'm not sure why Sony would discontinue making this tv unless it just proved too costly. It seems like the guy at Best Buy said they wouldn't carry it anymore because they couldn't get enough of them from Sony, maybe that is why they don't have any curved tvs in their 2014 lineup? (Unless I missed one)
post #100 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM

Liked: 13
I just got my S990a as a replacement for a 70R550a because of a problem with the 70 with a bright hot spot in the left corner..As I was setting up the set going through the setup menus I noticed what appears to be a brown line in the center bottom of the screen it is about an inch above where the sony logo is and it is about an inch and a half vertical and about 1/2 inch wide..I spoke to Sony right away and they are sending another brand new unit next week. I would try using the i-manual feature which brings up a full white screen and check your set before the delivery service leaves this way if there is an issue you can send it back..also the picture on this set looked a bit almost out of focus at times but not every source or channel I think it is just a bad panel all together. Other than these issues the set is great the TriLuminos is fantastic deep rich colors really make the picture pop much more than the R550A. The looks amazing from every angle and the curve is barely noticeable from the center. I'll update next week when the new set arrives. Any questions feel free to ask..
post #101 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's what's included: large full function remote, smaller basic remote with fewer buttons, and 4 pairs of lightweight passive 3D glasses.

Click image to enlarge:

The glasses feel somewhat cheap, but they are light and comfortable - even with other glasses underneath.
schowtyme likes this.
post #102 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Mackenzie View Post

I just got my S990a as a replacement for a 70R550a because of a problem with the 70 with a bright hot spot in the left corner..As I was setting up the set going through the setup menus I noticed what appears to be a brown line in the center bottom of the screen it is about an inch above where the sony logo is and it is about an inch and a half vertical and about 1/2 inch wide..I spoke to Sony right away and they are sending another brand new unit next week. I would try using the i-manual feature which brings up a full white screen and check your set before the delivery service leaves this way if there is an issue you can send it back..also the picture on this set looked a bit almost out of focus at times but not every source or channel I think it is just a bad panel all together. Other than these issues the set is great the TriLuminos is fantastic deep rich colors really make the picture pop much more than the R550A. The looks amazing from every angle and the curve is barely noticeable from the center. I'll update next week when the new set arrives. Any questions feel free to ask..

That's unfortunate that the screen had that issue, but that is a great tip for detecting issues. Is the I - manual feature easy to find/use? Also did you purchase the tv directly from Sony and how hard was it to get them to replace it?

I was also considering the 70R550a because it sounded like a great deal from a top tier manufacturer for such a large set with passive 3d, how does the S990a compare in terms of size? Do you feel like you are giving up a lot of real estate? I always find it hard to tell in a store.

Hope the next set is in better shape so you can give us another review.
post #103 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I just got my S990a ... I noticed what appears to be a brown line in the center bottom of the screen it is about an inch above where the sony logo is and it is about an inch and a half vertical and about 1/2 inch wide...also the picture on this set looked a bit almost out of focus at times but not every source or channel..

Bummer with the line thing on the panel.

If you have some images on different channels/sources look oof and others are in focus, I'd probably blame the channel/source and not the panel itself. Garbage in equal garbage out in most cases, and lets face it, so much broadcast material now is so over compressed it's ridiculous.
post #104 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The glasses feel somewhat cheap, but they are light and comfortable - even with other glasses underneath.

That's exactly what I thought when I opened mine. They seem cheap....but function really well. Stupid snap in lens piece falls off the frame so easily.
post #105 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schowtyme View Post

Is the I - manual feature easy to find/use?

It's the white "?" on the bigger remote, upper left of the ring of buttons - check the pic in post 101. Thing to note - you have to run through a couple brief setup screens at initial power-on. Can be stressful if you have impatient delivery guys.

Hunter - sorry to hear you got another bad TV! mad.gif Hopefully third time's a charm?

The thing about a nice large display is, as Mr. B said, it looks fantastic with great source material, but it also shows off bad sources and they can look (comparatively) worse. But I'm really impressed how good 1080i HD looks from cable/Tivo. And, of course, 1080p from Blu-ray and Netflix. Not sure I need 4k! wink.gif
post #106 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 04:15 PM

I've had this model for just over a week now. The set I received has been a mixed bag. I love this TV, but it needs some things fixed in order to be "the" TV. See the images posted. It has bad uniformity issues. Turning the backlight completely off and turning the picture/brightness down did not help at all. I was encouraged to submit this issue to Sony for a possible repair. Sony's official response was "this is typical of LED TVs and therefore there will be no repair offered." So in other words, just live with it. Bad move Sony. I have been loyal to Sony my whole life, but this is unacceptable. I am returning this TV to Sony. Hopefully it will be fixed with a different set of the same model (fingers crossed). I really love this set. Just wish it worked. Anybody else having uniformity issues like these?

post #107 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Also, one more issue I forgot to mention - the optical audio out port of my model does not work. Anyone else have this problem? My receiver does not support the ARC option, so I have to get the audio out to my receiver via optical. No dice. Glad this TV has excellent speakers, but no optical at the moment. Sony's technical response to this was also that they would not support the fix. Really, Sony? How do you justify that??

post #108 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Also did you purchase the tv directly from Sony and how hard was it to get them to replace it?

I was also considering the 70R550a because it sounded like a great deal from a top tier manufacturer for such a large set with passive 3d, how does the S990a compare in terms of size? Do you feel like you are giving up a lot of real estate? I always find it hard to tell in a store.

Hope the next set is in better shape so you can give us another review.[/quote]

Yes I purchased the set from Sony direct and the customer service has been fantastic! ..Yeah the 65 inch from the 70 inch size is a bit noticeable..But in my case the 65 inch is a bit better fit for my viewing distance of about 8 ft where as the 70 I was a little too close and could really see some of the imperfections from some bad source material..I've got a good vibe about the next set that it will be perfect!
post #109 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBry View Post

Also, one more issue I forgot to mention - the optical audio out port of my model does not work. Anyone else have this problem? My receiver does not support the ARC option, so I have to get the audio out to my receiver via optical. No dice. Glad this TV has excellent speakers, but no optical at the moment. Sony's technical response to this was also that they would not support the fix. Really, Sony? How do you justify that??

Just a thought have you gone into the audio menu and turned off the internal speakers and switched it to external system or speakers?
post #110 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post

Bummer with the line thing on the panel.

If you have some images on different channels/sources look oof and others are in focus, I'd probably blame the channel/source and not the panel itself. Garbage in equal garbage out in most cases, and lets face it, so much broadcast material now is so over compressed it's ridiculous.

I did some more testing and actually Watching the TWIT network app via my Samsung Blu-Ray player the quality was excellent as well as 1080p Commando Blu-Ray So I do agree Garbage in Garbage out..
post #111 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had this model for just over a week now. The set I received has been a mixed bag. I love this TV, but it needs some things fixed in order to be "the" TV.

When in 3D mode, if I remember correctly, the tv defaults to max backlight, picture and brightness. I'm not positive, but I don't believe local dimming is active either. I can see flashlighting on mine in lower right and left corners, left being worst. Upper right/left corners and upper/lower center zones are good. Your seems excessive.

Lower image (with disc start up symbol) is obviously free of any signal input and is a typical situation with just about all edge lit LED to some degree. Local dimming should kick in when a source signal is detected and mitigate this. 3D may be the exception.

Sorry to see you have to deal with this.
post #112 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Just a thought have you gone into the audio menu and turned off the internal speakers and switched it to external system or speakers?

Yes. This set is replace an older model from a few years ago which works perfectly when switching to external audio system. This model (at least my current edition) does not do this. Dead silence. Good thought though.

post #113 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post

When in 3D mode, if I remember correctly, the tv defaults to max backlight, picture and brightness. I'm not positive, but I don't believe local dimming is active either. I can see flashlighting on mine in lower right and left corners, left being worst. Upper right/left corners and upper/lower center zones are good. Your seems excessive.

Lower image (with disc start up symbol) is obviously free of any signal input and is a typical situation with just about all edge lit LED to some degree. Local dimming should kick in when a source signal is detected and mitigate this. 3D may be the exception.

Sorry to see you have to deal with this.

Yes, when in 3D mode it does max everything out. I have noticed that on other sets I tried. However, this set is way overboard. Hoping this isn't the case with everyone's set because that is a deal killer for me on the 3D side.

post #114 of 378 Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anybody else having uniformity issues like these?

What scene setting were you using?

I have mine set to Auto (24), so when I switch to the PS4 it automatically goes into Game mode. During this mode I saw some flashlighting/ clouding in black screens. I guess Game mode turns off local dimming?

I messed with some settings and dialed the clouding down to a tolerable level.

btw, I played a couple games in 3D tonight and was very impressed. The 3d has great depth and zero ghosting or cross-talk, but I did notice the resolution decrease. Still, it looked great. I want to try a 3d movie now!
post #115 of 378 Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Hi JediBry,
I may have missed it but, did you say if you are getting a replacement set for that one or did Sony refuse to replace it?

Thanks
Carl

CPTuell
post #116 of 378 Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Hi JediBry,
I may have missed it but, did you say if you are getting a replacement set for that one or did Sony refuse to replace it?

Thanks
Carl

Refused to address any of it. So I returned to the seller. I am trying to decide if I will get another one or not. I mainly posted my issues here to share with others and to determine if any others have had issues with the set, same or otherwise. 

post #117 of 378 Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Refused to address any of it. So I returned to the seller. I am trying to decide if I will get another one or not. I mainly posted my issues here to share with others and to determine if any others have had issues with the set, same or otherwise. 
OK Thanks. If I decide to get one it would be from the Sony.com store. I wanted to try to determine if I had similar issues if they would let me return it for another or a full refund. I wonder if anyone here has dealt with the Sony.com store concerning picture problems and issues. Good luck hope your next one is perfect. Keep us updated.

Thanks
Carl

CPTuell
post #118 of 378 Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:

OK Thanks. If I decide to get one it would be from the Sony.com store. I wanted to try to determine if I had similar issues if they would let me return it for another or a full refund. I wonder if anyone here has dealt with the Sony.com store concerning picture problems and issues. Good luck hope your next one is perfect. Keep us updated.

Thanks
Carl

Thanks, Carl. I can't vouch or Sony.com store. I have not purchased from them directly, I have only dealt with their tech support directly, which was concerning. However, I can vouch heavily for Amazon. They have been fabulous to order from. If I have a TV with a picture issue, if I am not 100% satisfied, they have taken it back for a full refund, no questions asked. They have done some help steps to determine if it was user error, but once it has been determined it is a manufacturers issue, they send someone to pick it up very promptly. They even arrange for a swap out if you wish. I had an issue with the 65W850a (which I wanted to love so badly). Others in these forums had similar issues. There was banding and dark rings in the center whereas the outer sides were overly brightened. Very bad uniformity issues. Amazon arranged for 3 different sets to be delivered and swapped out to try to fix the issue until finally, they determined that it was common to the set of serials that had been manufactured at that time. So they encouraged me to send them all back for refund and either 1. wait to order the set a bit later when newer sets came out, or 2. find a different set. I opted to try the S990. I'm hoping that my current issue is just a fluke. That's why I posted here. I am hoping other owners will weigh in on whether they are having similar flash lighting issues. DaverJ thanks for your comments on the 3D. They were helpful.

nichtkomisch likes this.
post #119 of 378 Old 04-11-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:

DaverJ, so what's your verdict after having that TV for a few days? Thanks, Bjorn
post #120 of 378 Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DaverJ, so what's your verdict after having that TV for a few days? Thanks, Bjorn

I've tweaked a bit, but still haven't properly calibrated yet - probably this weekend. That's mainly because "Auto (24)" scene looks great out-of-the-box. I like the UI and the control it gives to automatically adapt and operate other devices like my Denon AVR, Oppo Blu-ray, and PS4. For example, when I switch to the PS4, the TV automatically switches to Game Mode and the TV remote can control the console's UI. Same with the Blu-ray player.

TV / Movies - everything I've watched has looked great, and I'm still very satisfied. Coming from a rear-projection TV, I need to get used to the deep black levels because it can make dark scenes look very dark. This is a good thing, but something to get used to. I've watched the first Godfather on BD, and on Tivo I've watched American Idol, Silicon Valley, and bits of Lone Ranger and Batman Rises on HBO - all look terrific.

Reflections - there's a western-facing window directly behind my viewing position, and it's reflection during the day gets exaggerated by the TV's curve. The window has shutters and blinds that can block the light, so it's really not a big issue in my house - but it's still something that's very noticeable. No problem with evening viewing, which is when I watch TV.

Curve - I don't really know if the curve does anything for the "immersion", but it sure looks pretty when the set is off. Like sitting in a movie theater, the curve disappears and the movie blends "flat" across the screen.

Games - as mentioned, very impressed with the passive 3D, albeit noticeable resolution drop. Input lag is excellent! However, fairly disappointed with flash-lighting and clouding in the blacks when in Game Mode. I dialed down the backlight which helps, but haven't eliminated the very noticeable clouding on black/dark screens. I plan on working on this over the weekend because it's sort of a big blemish on an otherwise very nice TV. Maybe I can set up a custom scene for games that has no lag but better black consistency?

I'll post some pics over the weekend, and if anyone has any specifics they are wondering about, feel free to post!
Mr. Biggles likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page