17Likes

post #121 of 344 Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I've tweaked a bit, but still haven't properly calibrated yet - probably this weekend. That's mainly because "Auto (24)" scene looks great out-of-the-box. I like the UI and the control it gives to automatically adapt and operate other devices like my Denon AVR, Oppo Blu-ray, and PS4. For example, when I switch to the PS4, the TV automatically switches to Game Mode and the TV remote can control the console's UI. Same with the Blu-ray player.

TV / Movies - everything I've watched has looked great, and I'm still very satisfied. Coming from a rear-projection TV, I need to get used to the deep black levels because it can make dark scenes look very dark. This is a good thing, but something to get used to. I've watched the first Godfather on BD, and on Tivo I've watched American Idol, Silicon Valley, and bits of Lone Ranger and Batman Rises on HBO - all look terrific.

Reflections - there's a western-facing window directly behind my viewing position, and it's reflection during the day gets exaggerated by the TV's curve. The window has shutters and blinds that can block the light, so it's really not a big issue in my house - but it's still something that's very noticeable. No problem with evening viewing, which is when I watch TV.

Curve - I don't really know if the curve does anything for the "immersion", but it sure looks pretty when the set is off. Like sitting in a movie theater, the curve disappears and the movie blends "flat" across the screen.

Games - as mentioned, very impressed with the passive 3D, albeit noticeable resolution drop. Input lag is excellent! However, fairly disappointed with flash-lighting and clouding in the blacks when in Game Mode. I dialed down the backlight which helps, but haven't eliminated the very noticeable clouding on black/dark screens. I plan on working on this over the weekend because it's sort of a big blemish on an otherwise very nice TV. Maybe I can set up a custom scene for games that has no lag but better black consistency?

I'll post some pics over the weekend, and if anyone has any specifics they are wondering about, feel free to post!

Thanks for the very detailed response! How far do you sit away from the TV, regarding 3D resolution. I tried passive 3D at BestBuy (LG) and the horizontal lines eventually went unnoticeable. My viewing distance would be 14 ft.
The curve, yes, I think for the curve to provide immersion one would have to sit really close to a screen this size. But , the curve looks nice :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 344 Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichtkomisch View Post

ow far do you sit away from the TV, regarding 3D resolution. I tried passive 3D at BestBuy (LG) and the horizontal lines eventually went unnoticeable. My viewing distance would be 14 ft.

I'm around 11 feet from the screen.

Quick iphone pics - click to enlarge:

schowtyme and nichtkomisch like this.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #123 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 01:12 PM

Liked: 10
I have had this tv for two weeks now. I have a few quick observations and comments I'd like to share and a huge issue I would love to hear some feedback on.

Bad flashlighting out of the box but easily corrected with some calibrating.
Great 3D, even off angle. The passive is very easy on the eyes.
I love the curve effect and the added depth perception it gives.
Great aesthetics.
Good audio.

Absolutely unacceptable screen uniformity!!!
After calibrating my tv the first night I came across a 12" wide ring on the right side of the screen. After I calibrated this ring was now visible when viewing content as we'll. This issue does not seem to be close to any Edge Lit LED issue I have come across before.

Sony refuses to admit there is anything wrong with my screen and says this is the expected performance of this set. I think I am starting to understand why they dropped the price.

Can someone with a bit of a trained eye and technical experience take a look at these pics and let me know what they think?

Does anyone else have this issue? Because if so I don think I even want a replacement.

Also does anyone know how to get to US Sony support? Some how my issue is being exclusively handled by Sony's Philippines customer service via a Florida number. They won't even let me talk to someone who can see the pictures. It's ridiculous.

post #124 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 01:27 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMaxx View Post

I have had this tv for two weeks now. I have a few quick observations and comments I'd like to share and a huge issue I would love to hear some feedback on.

Great aesthetics.
Good audio.

After calibrating my tv the first night I came across a 12" wide ring on the right side of the screen. After I calibrated this ring was now visible when viewing content as we'll. This issue does not seem to be close to any Edge Lit LED issue I have come across before.

Sony refuses to admit there is anything wrong with my screen and says this is the expected performance of this set. I think I am starting to understand why they dropped the price.

Can someone with a bit of a trained eye and technical experience take a look at these pics and let me know what they think?

Does anyone else have this issue? Because if so I don think I even want a replacement.

Also does anyone know how to get to US Sony support? Some how my issue is being exclusively handled by Sony's Philippines customer service via a Florida number. They won't even let me talk to someone who can see the pictures. It's ridiculous.

PaulMaxx,

Finally someone else with the same type of issues I have been expressing. Although my uniformity issues are slightly in different areas of the screen (More along the top and mainly bottom of the entire screen) I too have these same issues. I also have been on the phone with Sony support from a Florida number that appears to be routed to offshore call centers. I was called by Sony and told to just accept this TV the way it is because that is the nature of LED. That is bogus. Yes, LED has these issues, but it is fixable. There are forums everywhere discussing fixing clouding and flash lighting. Sony just won't own up to it. I am beginning to believe this is why they dropped the price so much as well. I am loving the curve and the passive 3D but I am thinking I won't be looking to get another of these as a replacement. No comments from other users have convinced me that this is the TV I had hoped it would be. Or even a Sony TV for that matter. I went through 3 different 65W850As before resorting to this model. If you look at some of the comments in the 850a section, there are several people (even on Amazon) who have had uniformity issues and banding with the Sony 850a line. Sony refuses to repair any of these issues, so I have had to keep returning all to the stores trying to find "a good one", which, unfortunately, is beginning to look like "a model with the least amount wrong with it" at this point.

post #125 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 02:56 PM

PaulMaxx,

Sorry to see your uniformity issues, that does look bad and it's completely unacceptable for the price of this set. That is also sad that Sony has no interest in helping you, I've seen people get responses to other manufacturers when they post something negative on Facebook or Twitter, maybe that would work? If not maybe returning it and voting with your dollars is your only alternative.

If you manage to get another one please share if the new one is any better. I should have mine within a week or so, I'll let you know if it also has problems.
post #126 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Great aesthetics.
Good audio.

this looks like a defective panel to me. i own the 55x900a 4k tv and sony is replacing mine for a new one because of similar backlight issues. If you are still within the return window, i would suggest you exchange it for another. If not, dont give up on putting the pressure on Sony's customer service. the number i called was 18882227669, then i spoke to customer relations department. They quickly offered to replace my tv after i explained my situation. Best of luck to you and i hope they do you justice as well!
post #127 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBry View Post

PaulMaxx,

Finally someone else with the same type of issues I have been expressing. Although my uniformity issues are slightly in different areas of the screen (More along the top and mainly bottom of the entire screen) I too have these same issues. I also have been on the phone with Sony support from a Florida number that appears to be routed to offshore call centers. I was called by Sony and told to just accept this TV the way it is because that is the nature of LED. That is bogus. Yes, LED has these issues, but it is fixable. There are forums everywhere discussing fixing clouding and flash lighting. Sony just won't own up to it. I am beginning to believe this is why they dropped the price so much as well. I am loving the curve and the passive 3D but I am thinking I won't be looking to get another of these as a replacement. No comments from other users have convinced me that this is the TV I had hoped it would be. Or even a Sony TV for that matter. I went through 3 different 65W850As before resorting to this model. If you look at some of the comments in the 850a section, there are several people (even on Amazon) who have had uniformity issues and banding with the Sony 850a line. Sony refuses to repair any of these issues, so I have had to keep returning all to the stores trying to find "a good one", which, unfortunately, is beginning to look like "a model with the least amount wrong with it" at this point.

Your pics show the same issues I had when I first watched a Blu-Ray movie but after I calibrated my screen I got rid of most of it to where I feel it was acceptable. I think it might be helpful to everyone if we started discussing the settings we are using. It's true all displays and environments will differ slightly but perhaps we can get some good starting points.

Did you use an actual calibration disc to adjust your display? What are you using for your scene? If you still have the TV maybe we can get it dialed in so you don't have to return it.

I am still fiddling but I have noticed that when you go to 3D it overrides my previous 2D settings putting them all to the defaults with the backlight at max. HOWEVER...It seems that I can change the setting while in 3D mode and they will be saved. From what I can tell this allows you to calibrate for 2D and have separate setting for 3D which is great. I tested this going back and forth from 2D to 3D material using my FIOS box so I was on the same input. The settings are definitely independent and they are saved even after switching back and forth and turning off the TV.

My setting memory is also set to Current Input which is ok for me since I am only using 1 input on the TV and my sources are being switched from my Integra DTR 50.5 Receiver. Not sure what the impact of setting it to common is except the obvious that it would be applied to all inputs. Let me know if any of this helps or if it brings up more questions. 

I will try to post my settings later tonight or tomorrow. Maybe they will help, however I am still tweaking a bit as I watch more varied content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schowtyme View Post

PaulMaxx,

Sorry to see your uniformity issues, that does look bad and it's completely unacceptable for the price of this set. That is also sad that Sony has no interest in helping you, I've seen people get responses to other manufacturers when they post something negative on Facebook or Twitter, maybe that would work? If not maybe returning it and voting with your dollars is your only alternative.

If you manage to get another one please share if the new one is any better. I should have mine within a week or so, I'll let you know if it also has problems.

Yes, I am very interested if you have a similar issue. I came across mine while using one of my calibration discs and then testing some specific scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

this looks like a defective panel to me. i own the 55x900a 4k tv and sony is replacing mine for a new one because of similar backlight issues. If you are still within the return window, i would suggest you exchange it for another. If not, dont give up on putting the pressure on Sony's customer service. the number i called was 18882227669, then i spoke to customer relations department. They quickly offered to replace my tv after i explained my situation. Best of luck to you and i hope they do you justice as well!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try that number to see if I happen to get a US representative. I am also a Custom Home Integrator and we are a Sony Dealer which is how I got this set so I plan on putting pressure on our internal contacts as well. I forwarded them the photos and am waiting for a response.

post #128 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:

I still have a feeling the S990a is being phased out soon, and I wonder if Sony will continue with curved screens..?

It is my understanding that Sony is exiting the Curved screen market which is why they are discounting what was originally a $5000 tv at release. They may bring curved screens back but probably not until they decide to start making retail OLED sets.

post #129 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:

I've tweaked a bit, but still haven't properly calibrated yet - probably this weekend. That's mainly because "Auto (24)" scene looks great out-of-the-box. I like the UI and the control it gives to automatically adapt and operate other devices like my Denon AVR, Oppo Blu-ray, and PS4. For example, when I switch to the PS4, the TV automatically switches to Game Mode and the TV remote can control the console's UI. Same with the Blu-ray player.

TV / Movies - everything I've watched has looked great, and I'm still very satisfied. Coming from a rear-projection TV, I need to get used to the deep black levels because it can make dark scenes look very dark. This is a good thing, but something to get used to. I've watched the first Godfather on BD, and on Tivo I've watched American Idol, Silicon Valley, and bits of Lone Ranger and Batman Rises on HBO - all look terrific.

Reflections - there's a western-facing window directly behind my viewing position, and it's reflection during the day gets exaggerated by the TV's curve. The window has shutters and blinds that can block the light, so it's really not a big issue in my house - but it's still something that's very noticeable. No problem with evening viewing, which is when I watch TV.

Curve - I don't really know if the curve does anything for the "immersion", but it sure looks pretty when the set is off. Like sitting in a movie theater, the curve disappears and the movie blends "flat" across the screen.

Games - as mentioned, very impressed with the passive 3D, albeit noticeable resolution drop. Input lag is excellent! However, fairly disappointed with flash-lighting and clouding in the blacks when in Game Mode. I dialed down the backlight which helps, but haven't eliminated the very noticeable clouding on black/dark screens. I plan on working on this over the weekend because it's sort of a big blemish on an otherwise very nice TV. Maybe I can set up a custom scene for games that has no lag but better black consistency?

I'll post some pics over the weekend, and if anyone has any specifics they are wondering about, feel free to post!

Looking forward to your pics. I am also interested the settings you end up with after calibration. Especially on some of the processing features.

post #130 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking forward to your pics. I am also interested the settings you end up with after calibration. Especially on some of the processing features.

Unfortunately I have family matters to attend to and am unable to calibrate this weekend.

Which scene are you using, and which mode within that scene? I'm wondering from your pics if your local dimming isn't working correctly. On my set I can sort of see those patterns as flashlighting (or "clouding") in the blacks mainly when in Game Mode, which OOTB puts the backlight up to max. Dialing the backlight down to around a 5 or so, the clouding starts to fade. It's still present somewhat in black scenes in Game mode though, but not as clear as the out-of-the-box setting. I also see those patterns faintly in other modes when showing solid colors or solid white, but nothing to the degree of what you posted. And the clouding / screen uniformity issues are mostly invisible with normal content. Your pics looks like they are from the Toy Story demo on the Disney WOW calibration disk, which I've seen on my set and thought it looked great.

I have mind set to Auto (24), and I've done some eyeballing with Standard and Vivid. I was surprised that Vivid isn't as bad as this mode was years ago - it's pretty close to a usable mode. in vivid the colors, especially skin tones, are exaggerated somewhat - many people look like they have Speaker of the House John Boehner's suntan. An example is the Leo pic in post 122, although that movie ( has extremely aggressive and stylistic color corrections, so it's not an accurate representation of flesh-tone. IIRC, this mode's are set at 60, and once this was brought down to the 50-55 range, it looks better.

Also, another thing I did was I went into the TV's overall settings and turned off the option that brightens or darkens the screen based on room light levels.

Good luck with your tweaking, I hope you get it working to your satisfaction - based on those pictures it looks to me like a feature is either turned off on your set, dialed incorrectly, or malfunctioning.

post #131 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Another pic from my initial day one with the TV - notice I haven't removed the stickers yet.

(Click to enlarge)

post #132 of 344 Old 04-12-2014, 07:12 PM

Liked: 19
Just got the TV Friday. I also am having crazy flashlight (I guess that is what it is called) or hotspots all over the screen. About 8 of them. Four at the top and four at the bottom. Screen uniformity is awful. Not sure whether to try a replacement or just return it. Other than the flashlight/uniformity, it has what I want. Passive 3d, large screen, good for games due to avg 19ms input lag.

My wife even noticed it frown.gif
post #133 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 01:22 AM

Liked: 18

Hey guys,

I wrote one of the reviews on Amazon and I checked out this thread a couple of times before buying my TV, but now that I've seen this thread taking off recently I decided to join AVS and join in the discussion. Seems like a lot of people are seeing the same issues I am with mine. There are multiple light spots primarily in the 4 corners with the lower left being the worst. From research I had done I thought this was flashlighting from the edge lit LEDs, but I know some of you are referring to it as screen uniformity. I'm not sure if these are 2 different things or the same. 

I will say I've been messing with Disney's WOW calibration disc and it helped quite a bit, but it is still noticeable during black credit scenes or really dark scenes in movies/games. For the most part it's not bad and I'm still happy with my purchase, but it can be annoying.

My issue seemed to be similar to what JediBry posted. I had multiple white hot spots during very dark scenes. It was terrible right out of the box and improved a great deal with calibration. I haven't noticed any uniformity issues during colored scenes like PaulMaxx posted, but I'll have to inspect more closely after seeing his pictures

schowtyme likes this.
post #134 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 05:18 AM

Hi Nismoblack,

What changes from WOW disk helped? I have changed backlight and pic and brightness and that didn't solve problem for me. What is the secret? Did you have to sacrifice black levels to smooth out the flashlight/hotspots?

I have the WOW disk.

Thank you for any help!
post #135 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 06:15 AM

Yeah I did end up sacrificing black levels slightly. I set them to ideal and then backed them off a couple clicks to try and mask the spots a little more. Other than that I'm not sure there was anything specific during calibration that made it better. I would just say that after calibrating it was less noticeable than the factory settings. Honestly they're definitely visible on my set, but I'm just learning to deal with them :( I don't notice them much during actual watching, but when the TV first turns on with the SONY logo or other black credit scenes or menus I can see them and they're quite annoying. 

I think the LED dynamic control was set to off from factory and I'm not positive, but turning it on seems to have helped. Changing the setting wasn't immediately apparent without any media playing, but I think during dark movie scenes it helps make it less noticeable. 

Hopefully we can get something figured out to help with this since it seems like pretty much all of them have it to an extent. I think some people are just more/less sensitive to it.

I'll try and post some pics of my setup, but I work 12 hour graves the first half of the week so I can't promise anything for a few days.

post #136 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Crap and I was just about to buy this today. I guess I should hold off or just buy on amazon and return it if I have issues.
post #137 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 AM

Nismoblack, thanks for the review. Are your spots worse than what JediBry showed earlier on his set (8 smaller spots spread around)? It seems like PaulMaxx might have the worst single spot of anyone so far.

I'm hoping that it is too early to say that all of these have a problem. Most of the reviews on Amazon are very positive and none of the earlier people in this thread complained about uniformity issues. Post #43 seems to show pretty good uniformity.
post #138 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schowtyme View Post

Nismoblack, thanks for the review. Are your spots worse than what JediBry showed earlier on his set (8 smaller spots spread around)? It seems like PaulMaxx might have the worst single spot of anyone so far.

I'm hoping that it is too early to say that all of these have a problem. Most of the reviews on Amazon are very positive and none of the earlier people in this thread complained about uniformity issues. Post #43 seems to show pretty good uniformity.

Just my Two cents worth, but I worked for over 25yrs for a major technology manufacturing, sales and service company (Not TV's) on the service side. Most of the time when new models came out they were upgraded with newer tech than the previous model with only a model # change. Those performed fine and got increasingly better. HOWEVER!! a couple of times we completely discontinued a particular model for whatever reason. A lot of the time when that happens the assembly line for that model in one or more locations is completely eliminated not just retooled for the newer version. Once the employees on that line get wind of this by the rumor mill, whether true or not, the quality goes to S%!*&. The later the model of that product, the worse its performance got. We had countless problems from these models ranging from connectors left completely unplugged to just barely connected to foreign objects (loose screws, washers, nuts even coins and even gummy bears) found in the machines. It would be interesting to see the Manufacture dates and locations of the good performing sets vs the poor performing sets. They may eliminate the line in one country but change it over to a new model in another, which would show up if all or most of the problem sets came from a particular factory and after a certain date.

Too bad to, because I came within a hair of hitting the purchase button on Amazon when they had just 2 sets left a couple of days ago. Then these problems started increasing. I really wanted this to be THE tv for me , but I guess, on with the search. It looks like the 65x900 4K has dropped to $3999 on Amazon, may have to consider this one again The new W950B was my next go to but it got terrible reviews for contrast and black levels In dim lighting (crap!) since switching to IPS panel. Now considering the new LG 65 or 70" LB7100 models(70" does not have IPS panel, believe it has the Sharp panel). Will it ever end???frown.gif

JMHO
Carl
schowtyme likes this.

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #139 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, don't be alarmed if you see flashlighting on screens with no input, or the Sony logo when the set is first turned on. I believe that is normal - the set hasn't entered a local dimming mode. Other LCD TVs do that too.

post #140 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 02:51 PM

@Nismoblack

To those experiencing the flashlight issue, as Nismoblack mentioned: make sure you turn on LED Dynamic control!!! I have mine set to Standard, I presume that is higher than "low". It improves the issue significantly. With that said, the issue is still present, and prior to the turning LED Dynamic control on it was the worse flashlighting that I have seen on a highend display. Now it might be bearable. However, the uniformity is still present, not sure if the curve causes that or what. I also went through the WOW disk.

Now the uniformity might be the worse issue, as DaverJ said the flashlight issue is generally only when solid black is on the screen...I really notice it on Oppo Home screen or on fade to black screens.

So now I am at a loss what to do. Will keep testing it for another week then decide.

Size!/Low Lag/Passive 3D smile.gif

Uniformity/flashlight frown.gif side speakers lol

Is there anything out right now that has the size, low lag, passive 3D that could be an alternative to this TV?

The flashlight actually has me worried about another Sony, but maybe the uniformity is a curve screen issue, leaving only concern about flashlighting.

Unfortunately the 4K has higher lag (AVG 40), and the questioning of whether 4K Netflix will work (probably too early to worry about this).
schowtyme likes this.
post #141 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I brought up the Disney purity test (Red, Green, Blue, and Black) that checks for uniformity on mine. No blobs at all, but I do see an ever so slight uniformity issue on the far right that's 4.5" wide (yes I measured smile.gif ) for full height of the screen. I'm assuming this is from the right side edge lighting since it's full height. When watching left of center of the TV I can just make it out when very light colored images are on screen (like watching golf where green for example is across the entire screen). But if I move to center or right of center it's barely perceivable at all. It's weird that it's a consistent 4.5" wide full height, almost like the panel is made up of segments across it's width (part of design of this curved screen???)

Side tracking here, but I've always been a plasma owner because of the history of the crap shoot with good/bad LED panels. I really thought by now, especially with premium units like the S990A, that QC and panel production would be consistently good. Apparently it's still not from what I gather. And not just this set or Sony. Some years back I took a chance with an LG LHX55 which was supposed to be the Cadillac of LED TV's with full array back lighting and matte screen. It was the biggest POS I ever laid eyes on. Horrible uniformity and DSE everywhere. Almost unwatchable to me. Even had a LG tech come out to look at it and as soon as he saw the model he said "it is what it is". I sent that back and bought another plasma. The S990A I have is light years better than the LG. I wanted a 65" set and because of the viewing room and sunlight went with an LED ultimately (won't lie, I purchased a Panny 65VT60 but it showed up with a cracked screen).

Pretty sure LED Dynamic control is set to 'standard' by default. At least in Cinema mode and Standard mode it is. But yes, it should always be on.

No one here should accept a sub par unit, no matter model/make that they won't be happy with. I give my unit a 9 out of 10, so I'm keeping it.
DaverJ and schowtyme like this.
post #142 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 04:41 PM

Now that I'm taking a closer look at my tv it doesn't appear to be all that great at all. Do you think I got a bad panel? Maybe that's why it was open box. Honestly if the tv was taken out of the box they did an outstanding job repacking it because everything was exactly as I expect a brand new purchase to be.

Here are some shots from the purity test in WOW. I hadn't looked at this test yet, but after seeing the black screen my heart sank a little. Here's a few from the Hobbit as well. My iphone does seem to exaggerate it more than it looks in person. I believe I used the Auto 24p setting.

ebumebe6.jpg

aga4usub.jpg

aru2yvu7.jpg

ugu5ajy8.jpg

jega3e3a.jpg

umu8epu8.jpg
schowtyme likes this.
post #143 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismoblack View Post

Now that I'm taking a closer look at my tv it doesn't appear to be all that great at all. Do you think I got a bad panel? Maybe that's why it was open box. Honestly if the tv was taken out of the box they did an outstanding job repacking it because everything was exactly as I expect a brand new purchase to be.

Here are some shots from the purity test in WOW. I hadn't looked at this test yet, but after seeing the black screen my heart sank a little. Here's a few from the Hobbit as well. My iphone does seem to exaggerate it more than it looks in person. I believe I used the Auto 24p setting.

The red and green, at least with my monitor, isn't that bad looking. I don't think I'm going out too far on a limb here when saying that this type of color uniformity is pretty much standard fare for edge lit LED.

What was the source for the Hobbit? Is it BD or 3D, or what?
post #144 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post

The red and green, at least with my monitor, isn't that bad looking. I don't think I'm going out too far on a limb here when saying that this type of color uniformity is pretty much standard fare for edge lit LED.

What was the source for the Hobbit? Is it BD or 3D, or what?

The Hobbit was the Extended Edition BD, the 2D disc. I was playing through a PS3

post #145 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Hobbit was the Extended Edition BD, the 2D disc. I was playing through a PS3

So all those bright areas in the black bars look like that in real life? and the spill over light that effects the image I'm seeing?
post #146 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post

So all those bright areas in the black bars look like that in real life? and the spill over light that effects the image I'm seeing?

Yeah they're like that in real life. I do think the phone camera exaggerates them a bit, but they are noticeable. 

My backlight is at 4 and brightness at 50 right now, but neither of those seems to have a drastic effect on getting rid of those spots

post #147 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I really tried taking some photos of the uniformity color images, but my iphone fails miserably. Red looks orange, green is limeish and black sets off flash

I don't watch a lot of 3D, but just did with Netflix. I stand corrected on an earlier comment when I said I thought 3D settings were fixed. I adjusted the back light setting in 3D from max to 3.....whole world of difference with regards to flash lighting.
post #148 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah they're like that in real life. I do think the phone camera exaggerates them a bit, but they are noticeable. 

My backlight is at 4 and brightness at 50 right now, but neither of those seems to have a drastic effect on getting rid of those spots

Mine looks nothing like that in 24p Cinema mode. Bars are black with just tad flash lighting in lower left corner (my worst on this set) only visible when scene is extra bright in that corner. Try a re-set on Cinema mode settings and check your PS3 settings for 24P
post #149 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 PM

I'm at work now for the night, but I think when I get home I'm going to do as you said and try to reset and start fresh. 

post #150 of 344 Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

aru2yvu7.jpg

Wait, did you say this was the black uniformity image? Or did you mean white?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page