Official 2013 Sony KDL-S990A Curved LED Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #151 of 379 Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18

This was the last page of the purity test in WOW. So I went from Red, Blue, Green and then this "black" screen. They were all within the same test. Was there another white page after the black one? Sorry I was kind of in a rush to do this before work so I didn't have a ton of time to play with things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 379 Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismoblack View Post

This was the last page of the purity test in WOW. So I went from Red, Blue, Green and then this "black" screen. They were all within the same test. Was there another white page after the black one? Sorry I was kind of in a rush to do this before work so I didn't have a ton of time to play with things.

My black uniformity image was pitch inky black, and why the flash went off when I tried to take a pic. Hopefully that was not the black uniformity image you took or something is really amiss with your set.

The black image is second last....white is last
post #153 of 379 Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Well I'm going to try a full reset when I get home and if it's still like that I may be sending it back. I'm pretty sure that was the black uniformity screen :mad:

post #154 of 379 Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I'm going to try a full reset when I get home and if it's still like that I may be sending it back. I'm pretty sure that was the black uniformity screen mad.gif

Just remember to factor the PS3 into the equation since it's the source of these images
post #155 of 379 Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post

Just remember to factor the PS3 into the equation since it's the source of these images

Ok will do. Thanks for your help. I've got another standard blu-ray player I can hook up so I'll have to do some testing and see how it goes

post #156 of 379 Old 04-13-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok will do. Thanks for your help. I've got another standard blu-ray player I can hook up so I'll have to do some testing and see how it goes

Just hope it all works out OK for you
post #157 of 379 Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 PM

Liked: 16
I have to say I'm pretty bummed about most of the recent impressions of this set and I'm mentally preparing myself to be let down when mine arrives next week.

It seems that almost everyone except for a few people at the start of this thread and Mr. Biggles and DaverJ are sending theirs back due to uniformity issues? I don't know how to do a poll on this board but it would be interesting to see what % have problems bad enough to send their sets back...

So in case I have to send it back I guess I need a backup TV. What is everyone that was interested in this set going to do? I feel like we probably all have similar wants since we all bought this set, so I'd like to know what everyone else is going to do if this TV doesn't work out. I'm leaning towards buying a cheap 60 inch E series Vizio at Costco to bide time for the M and P series to come out. And when they do probably moving the E to the bedroom. The larger 2014 Sonys seem to be over my budget or haven't gotten great reviews (850B I think?) and pretty much the same with the Samsungs.

Thanks again to everyone posting impressions and pictures, I still have a little hope that I might get a set as good as Mr. Biggle's.
CPTuell likes this.
post #158 of 379 Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schowtyme View Post

I have to say I'm pretty bummed about most of the recent impressions of this set and I'm mentally preparing myself to be let down when mine arrives next week.

It seems that almost everyone except for a few people at the start of this thread and Mr. Biggles and DaverJ are sending theirs back due to uniformity issues? I don't know how to do a poll on this board but it would be interesting to see what % have problems bad enough to send their sets back...

So in case I have to send it back I guess I need a backup TV. What is everyone that was interested in this set going to do? I feel like we probably all have similar wants since we all bought this set, so I'd like to know what everyone else is going to do if this TV doesn't work out. I'm leaning towards buying a cheap 60 inch E series Vizio at Costco to bide time for the M and P series to come out. And when they do probably moving the E to the bedroom. The larger 2014 Sonys seem to be over my budget or haven't gotten great reviews (850B I think?) and pretty much the same with the Samsungs.

Thanks again to everyone posting impressions and pictures, I still have a little hope that I might get a set as good as Mr. Biggle's.

Well hopefully you get a good set. Honestly I've loved my tv for the most part. I'm hoping that I'm just messing with things too much now that I'm noticing it more and a reset will clear things up. I think I'm just starting to let it bother me more and more now that I've had more time with the set playing with settings and watching different shows.

But, I'm a little more concerned now with the black uniformity test and the fact that my set was technically "used". Although the description does say "open box. Never used. Full warranty"  I'm wondering if someone checked it out and saw that the panel wasn't the greatest and returned it.... Who knows

post #159 of 379 Old 04-13-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi Schowtyme,
After the $500 price drop this weekend to $3999 plus the free $600 4K X1 Media player free, I'm seriously considering the Sony XBR-65x900a. It is about a grand more than I wanted to spend. I'm waiting to see some reviews on the new LG 65 and 70 inch LB7100 models. I worry a little about the IPS panels on the 65" LG but the 70 has the Sharp panel. Since I really would like 3D, passive only, I'm limmited to LG or Sony since Vizio has dropped 3D for its new models. Good luck. Hopefully yours will be good.

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #160 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The big issue for me is lag, and the s990a's AVG 18ms was great. However, the flashlighting and uniformity are bad. I thought I had improved it with the WOW and the LED control turned to Standard, but it is still easy to see (better but even the wife is noticing it still). So it has to go back.

With that said (and since I normally shop through Amazon), I have very few options.

KDL-55802A (55 inch so smaller than s990a. I really want 65/70 inch for room). It is passive so that is good, and the lag is good at AVG 18ms smile.gif Price is less too.

XBR-65X900a (4k! 65inch! more expensive than s990a :| However, the AVG 40ms lag is almost too much :|

XB$-55X900a (4k! 55inch :| still more expensive than s990a :| Lag :|

I don't really know of any other options for Passive/low lag.

Plus I am also worried that these TVs will have the same uniformity/flashlighting since they are Sony and use the same tech.

I use Displaylag . com for these lag numbers and I am not opposed to another TV brand, but Sony seems to have the large TV low lag thing other manufactures don't. But I am open to any suggestions!!!

I would like to have 4k, 65inch-ish, Passive

Wouldn't mind plugging my PC into TV also for a Gaming PC Display, but 40ms is pushing it, so 4K is probably not possible at this time.
post #161 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Well guys I think the reason my screen looked so messed up is I just way over-did messing with things trying to correct the flashlighting issue. I reset my tv back to factory picture settings with the black purity WOW test up like Mr. Biggles recommended. The 1st picture is with completely default settings. The flashlighting is terrible, but at least the screen isn't screwed up looking like my original picture. The 2nd picture I turned backlight down to 4, brightness up to 55, and LED dynamic control to standard and the improvement was significant

atupy5av.jpg

qyjuzury.jpg
Mr. Biggles likes this.
post #162 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 AM

Flashlighting is still not ideal but I think I can live with it and most likely will be keeping my set
post #163 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 AM

WHOA!

Do you think that is from the "reset"? Reset in my mind would only set back to the factory settings, but would not actually correct anything "broken". In your opinion is it the change in settings completely or the "reset" that helped your TV? I have used similar settings as far as backlight and brightness...and the best I have seen my picture is your first picture, I have seen nothing close to the second picture.

I will try the reset when I get home (fingers crossed).
post #164 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Savage View Post

The big issue for me is lag, and the s990a's AVG 18ms was great. However, the flashlighting and uniformity are bad. I thought I had improved it with the WOW and the LED control turned to Standard, but it is still easy to see (better but even the wife is noticing it still). So it has to go back.

With that said (and since I normally shop through Amazon), I have very few options.

KDL-55802A (55 inch so smaller than s990a. I really want 65/70 inch for room). It is passive so that is good, and the lag is good at AVG 18ms smile.gif Price is less too.

XBR-65X900a (4k! 65inch! more expensive than s990a :| However, the AVG 40ms lag is almost too much :|

XB$-55X900a (4k! 55inch :| still more expensive than s990a :| Lag :|

I don't really know of any other options for Passive/low lag.

Plus I am also worried that these TVs will have the same uniformity/flashlighting since they are Sony and use the same tech.

I use Displaylag . com for these lag numbers and I am not opposed to another TV brand, but Sony seems to have the large TV low lag thing other manufactures don't. But I am open to any suggestions!!!

I would like to have 4k, 65inch-ish, Passive

Wouldn't mind plugging my PC into TV also for a Gaming PC Display, but 40ms is pushing it, so 4K is probably not possible at this time.

Just want to clarify, Input Lag only effects gaming performance, correct? Or am I misinformed? I would not be playing any games on my set. So I was assuming input lag would be a non issue for me.

CPTuell
post #165 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 AM

Dr. Savage

I don't think it fixed any broken issue I think I just messed with way to many settings. I'd recommend resetting you picture settings and then pull up the black screen in WOW and try the few changes I recommended. Then you can tweak your other settings from there. Just take it slow and try not to overdue it I guess.
post #166 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 AM

@CPTuell

Correct, I am a gamer, so 40ms is pushing it. For nongamers this would not be a concern.

Good luck

Quote:

Dr. Savage

I don't think it fixed any broken issue I think I just messed with way to many settings. I'd recommend resetting you picture settings and then pull up the black screen in WOW and try the few changes I recommended. Then you can tweak your other settings from there. Just take it slow and try not to overdue it I guess.

Great, I am going to try exactly that after a reset and see how good I can get it.

Thanks again biggrin.gif
post #167 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:

@CPTuell

Correct, I am a gamer, so 40ms is pushing it. For nongamers this would not be a concern.

Good luck
Great, I am going to try exactly that after a reset and see how good I can get it.

Thanks again biggrin.gif

No problem! Let us know how it goes
post #168 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:

@CPTuell

Good luck biggrin.gif

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I like the FPS games too, but I play on my PC. Some arthritis in hands can't handle those XBOX/PS type controllers.
thanks
Carl

CPTuell
post #169 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 AM

CPTuell, I agree that the XBR is probably going to be a great TV, but I honestly don't want to spend that much. I feel like I could by the FALD e series Vizio and the 70 inch P Series when it comes out and still have a few hundred dollars left over. I've seen the 4k Samsung and it looked great from close up but I really couldn't tell the difference from my 9 ft sitting distance, so I'm not sure it is worth it to me.

I will have to take a look at the LG though, I like the idea of a 65+ inch size at their prices. Maybe these will get good reviews, please post a review if you buy one.

Nismoblack, that last picture looks great! I think I would keep mine if it looks that good. When you get it dialed in with the Disney WOW disk please share the settings.
post #170 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:

CPTuell, I agree that the XBR is probably going to be a great TV, but I honestly don't want to spend that much. I feel like I could by the FALD e series Vizio and the 70 inch P Series when it comes out and still have a few hundred dollars left over. I've seen the 4k Samsung and it looked great from close up but I really couldn't tell the difference from my 9 ft sitting distance, so I'm not sure it is worth it to me.

I will have to take a look at the LG though, I like the idea of a 65+ inch size at their prices. Maybe these will get good reviews, please post a review if you buy one.

Nismoblack, that last picture looks great! I think I would keep mine if it looks that good. When you get it dialed in with the Disney WOW disk please share the settings.

I agree its a bit more than I wanted to spend. I was disappointed to see that Vizio has dropped 3D completely, which pretty much rules them out unless I decide to toss out 3D, but for that much money for any higher end 65-70 inch set I think it should include 3D and active 3D is out. It causes my eyes to dryout and get irritated + headache after a short while. Maybe because I've had Lasic surgery years ago. So with the price drop and free 4K Media device it's in reach. There are reviews of the LG - LB7100 and 7200 here, but they really don't give any measurement #'s for contrast ratio, black level, ect. I am hoping the LG's measure up. Since I sit 13' away, I would rather save the bucks and get the 1080P.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-70lb7100.html

CPTuell
post #171 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 141
the 65"X900A 4k tv is the best tv i've seen uniformity wise and the passive 3D in full 1080p is unmatched! Its expensive yes, but the picture quality will justify the purchase once you see its impressive bluray upscaling to near 4k resolution. Its breath taking smile.gif
post #172 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

the 65"X900A 4k tv is the best tv i've seen uniformity wise and the passive 3D in full 1080p is unmatched! Its expensive yes, but the picture quality will justify the purchase once you see its impressive bluray upscaling to near 4k resolution. Its breath taking smile.gif

That is good news. How about any flashlighting semilar to Nismoblack's issue shown above in photos? I guess in a way that is sort of "uniformity" but maybe not. Not overly techie with meaning of flashlight and uniformity, other than I know something seems wrong with my set :P

Thanks for your opinion of the x900a and any flashlighting.

An extra AVG 22ms of lag is :\, but it may have mostly everything else working for it. Size, 4k (4k PC gaming use smile.gif, passive!!! well other than the BOZO side speakers:P
RiED27880 likes this.
post #173 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

How far away do you sit? I'm 13 to 14ft away depending on the recliner position. In your opinion would the difference be worth another $1000?

Thanks
Carl

CPTuell
post #174 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well guys I think the reason my screen looked so messed up is I just way over-did messing with things trying to correct the flashlighting issue. I reset my tv back to factory picture settings with the black purity WOW test up like Mr. Biggles recommended. The 1st picture is with completely default settings. The flashlighting is terrible, but at least the screen isn't screwed up looking like my original picture. The 2nd picture I turned backlight down to 4, brightness up to 55, and LED dynamic control to standard and the improvement was significant

At first when I saw this post and pictures I thought it was a before and after of back lighting with no signal input. If this is the BD WOW black purity, something is still not right. Mine is pitch black. It looks exactly like when the S990A is turned off. Again, pitch black. It's almost as if your local dimming is off/not functioning.
post #175 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:

At first when I saw this post and pictures I thought it was a before and after of back lighting with no signal input. If this is the BD WOW black purity, something is still not right. Mine is pitch black. It looks exactly like when the S990A is turned off. Again, pitch black. It's almost as if your local dimming is off/not functioning.

+1. I've had the tv accidentally on when I thought it was off when I turned off the BD player.
Mr. Biggles likes this.
post #176 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

+1. I've had the tv accidentally on when I thought it was off when I turned off the BD player.

Wow! Okay, so apparently something is "not functioning correctly" on Nismoblack's as well as my TV :|

Now I am wondering if a replacement is the way to go (instead of return). I will try the reset/recal option above, but dang, if you thought yours was off, that is not what I am experiencing.

More info once I get home to retest.
post #177 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 PM

Liked: 10
FYI guys, this set is now selling for $2099 no tax, free shipping at buydig.com. Not as cheap as the $900 set someone stole, but great price non the less.

I was about to get a 70" VIZIO M-Serties but screw that when I can get a Sony for the same price!

Just pulled the trigger ;-)

post #178 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Derzsi View Post

FYI guys, this set is now selling for $2099 no tax, free shipping at buydig.com. Not as cheap as the $900 set someone stole, but great price non the less.

I was about to get a 70" VIZIO M-Serties but screw that when I can get a Sony for the same price!

Just pulled the trigger ;-)

Congrats Ian, that is a great deal. Hope you get a good set, when will it arrive? Let us know how it looks when it gets there.
post #179 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Great deal Ian. Where did you get the $399 discount code? Thanks for the heads up.
post #180 of 379 Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So I have no idea how it happened, but somehow my scene select got changed to "graphics". I changed back to cinema mode and st brightness at 50 and voilà. I now have a fully black screen. Thank you for the help on this. I feel silly now that it was just something fairly simple. User error
Mr. Biggles and DaverJ like this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl65s990a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page