Panasonic WT600 4K Anticipation thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 76 Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

Your fortunate to be able to make such a comparison. This just summarizes why I'm not necessarily in the BB camp. Their presentation of their sets vary and no consistency between stores. Some magnolia centers are even in open lighting with huge overhead blaring lights. Sony and other makers should find issue with that also. Their sets are not even being presented the same. I would had even liked to see the sets with a direct TV feed available to view regular programming.
They tried that already,the 4k sets don't look than 1080P sets on directv,especially on Plasma TV's.
Chise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 76 Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Member
 
starchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: laguna niguel, ca
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree with that, as many on the boards have said same. However I fail to see why avoiding showing up converted material is beneficial. 4k is here to stay and should be demonstrated in real world environments and material. I also realize it's hard to push 4k sets at current price points when compared to 1080 sets. But some like myself are in the market for a set now. So I'll just invest in future technology at a higher price and enjoy it much as I can while things develope. I will probably visit Pauls TV again soon as they display sets with both material. However I believe BB has some exclusive release agreement for a length of time. Not a good move on Panasonic part imo.
starchild is offline  
post #63 of 76 Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

I agree with that, as many on the boards have said same. However I fail to see why avoiding showing up converted material is beneficial. 4k is here to stay and should be demonstrated in real world environments and material. I also realize it's hard to push 4k sets at current price points when compared to 1080 sets. But some like myself are in the market for a set now. So I'll just invest in future technology at a higher price and enjoy it much as I can while things develope. I will probably visit Pauls TV again soon as they display sets with both material. However I believe BB has some exclusive release agreement for a length of time. Not a good move on Panasonic part imo.
I read article on Sound and Vision said 4k material is going to be here by 2015.
Chise is offline  
post #64 of 76 Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,947
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

I don't thing anyone ever said it was "ok", nor did say anything about it being wrong/right. Just stating what one particular Store was doing. If I was Sony, I would agree that I want to show content made for my T.V. to be only on my T.V. not the competition. As a consmer, it was nice to see a way to compare them with the same content. That is all I was trying to say about what I say.

You did not. Starchild's post implied that what he was told by the Magnolia salesperson was not true. I was simply stating that it was in fact true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

Your fortunate to be able to make such a comparison. This just summarizes why I'm not necessarily in the BB camp. Their presentation of their sets vary and no consistency between stores. Some magnolia centers are even in open lighting with huge overhead blaring lights. Sony and other makers should find issue with that also. Their sets are not even being presented the same. I would had even liked to see the sets with a direct TV feed available to view regular programming.

I understand your desire to have an identical presentation in every store. It's just not realistic. You can have policies that require it, and Planograms that show it, but in the end some store employees will inevitably decide that they are going to do what they want. You also have to understand that not every store can be identical. If there were actually other dealers with anywhere near the same number of stores, you would see the same thing.

Best Buy does typically show the same content on all TV's though. 4K provided a unique challenge though, with the lack of content and delivery systems available. Obviously, in the future, you will see a more consistent video feed as soon as the supporting systems become available. You cannot expect every TV in every store to be in an identical location with the exact same lighting and picture settings. Also, keep in mind, in order to stipulate a specific picture setting, you'd have to lock down the TV from any customers changing those settings. Obviously, this would be an even more egregious issue with the AVS crowd. Overall, Magnolia does provide a pretty consistent viewing environment with few exceptions.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #65 of 76 Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Member
 
starchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: laguna niguel, ca
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Speakerphile I didn't say I expect all the settings on each set the same. That would be rediculous. What I would expect is the magnolia centers to have consistency in their lighting and at least have a direct TV feed, since they do push the product in store. In anycase i will continue my search and hope frys or Pauls TV get the set in also. I may even make a drive to hawkmoon neck of the woods to see the panny in L.A.
starchild is offline  
post #66 of 76 Old 10-15-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,947
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

Speakerphile I didn't say I expect all the settings on each set the same. That would be rediculous. What I would expect is the magnolia centers to have consistency in their lighting and at least have a direct TV feed, since they do push the product in store. In anycase i will continue my search and hope frys or Pauls TV get the set in also. I may even make a drive to hawkmoon neck of the woods to see the panny in L.A.

I agree, DirecTV would be nice. Unfortunately, it is a complicated issue. As far as lighting is concerned, where are you seeing stores that are not consistent? Almost every Magnolia has significantly less light than the primary TV wall in greater Best Buy.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #67 of 76 Old 10-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Newbie
 
kirk007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post


I plan on putting up an "Official" owners thread. I have a bunch of links to user manuals, videos at other stuff to put in the 1st post of the thread. I will probably do this tonight or next Sunday and then also post impressions, settings, input lag results, 4k@60fps performance and whatever else I can think of.

So do you have it do you have it do you have it!?! smile.gif
Let's just say I'm excited to hear more about this wink.gif
kirk007 is offline  
post #68 of 76 Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Member
 
Emes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
An official Owners Thread would be very nice. I would really appreciate this.

Cheers,
Emes
Emes is offline  
post #69 of 76 Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

An official Owners Thread would be very nice. I would really appreciate this.

Cheers,
Emes

I am going to set it up today. I get my set tomorrow sometime, waiting for the call from Best Buy for the delivery time frame. I am also off for a few days, so will have time to take it through it's paces and do a proper comparison to the Sony XBR-x900a 4k that it is replacing.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #70 of 76 Old 10-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Ace of Space's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your comparison between this Panny and the Sony is something I am very interested in. Can't wait to read your report Hawkmoon.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
Ace of Space is offline  
post #71 of 76 Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Member
 
mroadster158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

I am going to set it up today. I get my set tomorrow sometime, waiting for the call from Best Buy for the delivery time frame. I am also off for a few days, so will have time to take it through it's paces and do a proper comparison to the Sony XBR-x900a 4k that it is replacing.

Will you have the two sets side by side to do the proper comparison?
mroadster158 is offline  
post #72 of 76 Old 10-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroadster158 View Post

Will you have the two sets side by side to do the proper comparison?

No. They are picking up the Sony and replacing it with the Panasonic. I did see for about 2 hours, side by side same 4k feed and thought the Panasonic looked much better. Blacks were deeper and color just seemed more natural.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #73 of 76 Old 10-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Member
 
Emes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

I am going to set it up today. I get my set tomorrow sometime, waiting for the call from Best Buy for the delivery time frame. I am also off for a few days, so will have time to take it through it's paces and do a proper comparison to the Sony XBR-x900a 4k that it is replacing.


Perfect.

We are waiting to read your comparison.
Emes is offline  
post #74 of 76 Old 11-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
tory40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My experience with going to 2560x1600 very early on, before it became common place (about 7 or eight years ago) was that it was not a big deal. Even despite always being in between highest and mid range of GPUs, never highest. If i remember correctly, i only had to lower the rendering resolution once or twice and run scaled. Anti-aliasing is also not needed as much at higher resolutions (not to mention viewing distances of a 65") and i have to admit i ignorantly (and i remember sometimes vocally) wondered what all the hubbub over AA was all about while using the 2650x1600 res., which helps illustrates the effect the higher resolution has. Another important aspect of what i learned in that experience was that often certain settings have a substantial impact on frame rate while not offering visual quality increases that justified their need and I found I could lower one or two settings and not have to lower resolution at all while retaining the important majority of the visual effects. "model detail" in Battlefield 3 (and possibly 4) is a setting for example which had a proportionally high impact on frame rate which when lowered, I didn't notice the visual difference. I didn't look at that hard either (ignorance is sometimes bliss, obviously).
tory40 is offline  
post #75 of 76 Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 AM
Member
 
6311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Who created "panels" for  Panasonic  wt 60 and wt 600  ?

6311 is offline  
post #76 of 76 Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Since it is an IPS panel my guess is LG . Some Sony's use LG IPS panels also , Samsung panels are SVA /SPVA , AUO are MVA /AMVA,CSOT are HVA ,ChiMeiInnolux are MVA/SMVA .

The LG panel is probably one of these 24 parts http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php?order=panel_id&by=desc&sizes[]=55&brand_family=LGD&resolution_pixels=19201080&production_state=1

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off