How disable screen dimming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a Samsung UN32F5000, and I disabled the dynamic contrast feature, turned off the eco mode, but the TV still dimming in darker areas, getting annoying as it seems it comes built in with TV and there's no way to turn it off =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
try movie mode instead of standard mode

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old 09-07-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I tried movie mode, and it disabled the screen dimming, but in this mode everything is so opaque, I wonder if covering the light ambience sensor could disabling screen dimming and let use other modes.
post #4 of 21 Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucholix View Post

I tried movie mode, and it disabled the screen dimming, but in this mode everything is so opaque, I wonder if covering the light ambience sensor could disabling screen dimming and let use other modes.

the eco sensor option can be turned off under system, eco solution, eco sensor but that doesn't change the dimming in dark scenes just dimming based on ambient light

the one thing you can do on a BD player, video game console, or STB possibly is use RGB color space, standard/limited/16-235 video levels as this can disable the auto-dimming in Standard pic mode

or you can just dial in the settings in movie mode to mimick standard mode (including advanced settings and picture options)

post #5 of 21 Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have a Samsung UN46ES6150 & use the Standard mode. I turned off Dynamic Contrast & Eco modes & this appeared to eliminate any brightness fluctuations. Standard mode supposedly uses auto-dimming but since I did not see any dimming I thought maybe the 6150 series did not have that “feature”. Maybe being a Sam’s & Costco club version that it might be different.

But I noticed if a froze the credits (white text on black background) at the end of a movie that the white lettering got brighter. When I do a freeze frame the DVR also displays a white status bar near the bottom of the screen. After a few seconds the status bar disappears & the text then resorts back the dimmer white, which is the same level as when the credits are scrolling.

IOW that white status bar affects the whiteness of the credit’s text. There must be enough bright white in the status bar to affect the overall brightness of the picture & therefore interacts with the auto dimming function.

I tried Movie mode & there is no change in the white text brightness when the white status bar is displayed. However the text looked dimmer all the time. I’ll have to go over all the settings in Movie mode see what I can do to improve that.

I previously tried to adjust Movie mode to mimick Standard mode. I just used the same settings for both but there was still a difference. Either I missed something or there are some non-adjustable differences between the two modes that cannot be changed.

I did use the AVS709 disc to “calibrate” the TV in Standard mode but will have to spend some more time playing with the settings in Movie mode.

Bottom line is the TV does have auto-dimming in Standard mode. Unfortunately.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I have a Samsung UN46ES6150 & use the Standard mode. I turned off Dynamic Contrast & Eco modes & this appeared to eliminate any brightness fluctuations. Standard mode supposedly uses auto-dimming but since I did not see any dimming I thought maybe the 6150 series did not have that “feature”. Maybe being a Sam’s & Costco club version that it might be different.

But I noticed if a froze the credits (white text on black background) at the end of a movie that the white lettering got brighter. When I do a freeze frame the DVR also displays a white status bar near the bottom of the screen. After a few seconds the status bar disappears & the text then resorts back the dimmer white, which is the same level as when the credits are scrolling.

IOW that white status bar affects the whiteness of the credit’s text. There must be enough bright white in the status bar to affect the overall brightness of the picture & therefore interacts with the auto dimming function.

I tried Movie mode & there is no change in the white text brightness when the white status bar is displayed. However the text looked dimmer all the time. I’ll have to go over all the settings in Movie mode see what I can do to improve that.

I previously tried to adjust Movie mode to mimick Standard mode. I just used the same settings for both but there was still a difference. Either I missed something or there are some non-adjustable differences between the two modes that cannot be changed.

I did use the AVS709 disc to “calibrate” the TV in Standard mode but will have to spend some more time playing with the settings in Movie mode.

Bottom line is the TV does have auto-dimming in Standard mode. Unfortunately.

does the motion lighting setting under advanced picture settings have any affect on what you've described above in Standard mode?

post #7 of 21 Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

does the motion lighting setting under advanced picture settings have any affect on what you've described above in Standard mode?

The Motion Lighting is turned OFF which IIRC is also the default. FWIW in the Movie mode it is turned OFF & grayed out so you cannot change it. I can turn it ON & experiment, but so far did not find another movie with credits of white text on a black background. I'm sure I can dig up something but ran out of time & it 's getting late.

I did experiment with Movie vs Standard modes. First I compared settings for the default Standard mode, my Standard mode, & to what I thought was the default Movie mode settings. Then watched some programs in Movie & thought they looked pretty close my Standard settings, which is not what I previously remembered. Turns out I had already changed the Movie settings so I reset them to the default & now the picture did look different than my Standard settings.

My basic settings for Standard mode are: Backlight 8, Contrast 75, Color 35, Color Tone Warm1.
I had decreased the Contrast from 100 to 75 in order to reduce a pinkish tint. Also made a few changes in the White Balance. Color was decreased from 50 to 35 while using the AVS709 disc & the Samsung’s RGB mode set to blue.

The default Movie mode has Backlight 20, Contrast 100, Color 50, Color Tone Warm2.
My roughly adjusted Movie mode had Backlight 10, Contrast 100, Color 50, Color Tone Warm1. Again, this looked pretty good.

But when I changed Movie to mimic my Standard they two did not look the same. Decreasing the Movie’s Contrast to 75 made the picture quite a bit darker, and decreasing the Color to 35 made the picture look a bit washed out. I'll have to use the AVS709 disc & see where it takes me. But so far the same settings in Movie & Standard do not display the same picture. I doubt the couple minor adjustments I did in the Standard White Balance make any appreciable difference.

Could there really be differences between the Picture Modes even with all the adjustments set the same?
post #8 of 21 Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Motion Lighting is turned OFF which IIRC is also the default. FWIW in the Movie mode it is turned OFF & grayed out so you cannot change it. I can turn it ON & experiment, but so far did not find another movie with credits of white text on a black background. I'm sure I can dig up something but ran out of time & it 's getting late.

I did experiment with Movie vs Standard modes. First I compared settings for the default Standard mode, my Standard mode, & to what I thought was the default Movie mode settings. Then watched some programs in Movie & thought they looked pretty close my Standard settings, which is not what I previously remembered. Turns out I had already changed the Movie settings so I reset them to the default & now the picture did look different than my Standard settings.

My basic settings for Standard mode are: Backlight 8, Contrast 75, Color 35, Color Tone Warm1.
I had decreased the Contrast from 100 to 75 in order to reduce a pinkish tint. Also made a few changes in the White Balance. Color was decreased from 50 to 35 while using the AVS709 disc & the Samsung’s RGB mode set to blue.

The default Movie mode has Backlight 20, Contrast 100, Color 50, Color Tone Warm2.
My roughly adjusted Movie mode had Backlight 10, Contrast 100, Color 50, Color Tone Warm1. Again, this looked pretty good.

But when I changed Movie to mimic my Standard they two did not look the same. Decreasing the Movie’s Contrast to 75 made the picture quite a bit darker, and decreasing the Color to 35 made the picture look a bit washed out. I'll have to use the AVS709 disc & see where it takes me. But so far the same settings in Movie & Standard do not display the same picture. I doubt the couple minor adjustments I did in the Standard White Balance make any appreciable difference.

Could there really be differences between the Picture Modes even with all the adjustments set the same?

"Differences between "Standard" mode and "Movie" mode.

1) Standard has always-on automatic backlight dimming, also known as "motion lighting" in the menus. The backlight dimming seems to happen on YCbCr signals as well as RGB full range, but not RGB limited range.In Movie mode backlight dimming is disabled completely (except for a pure black screen, where it will also shut off the backlight).
2) Standard has stronger color saturation, approximately 12 points more than Movie mode.
3) Standard has a higher white point (contrast), approximately 6 points more than Movie mode."

from: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406151/the-official-2012-samsung-eh4000-eh5000-eh5300-owners-thread/300#post_22368244

post #9 of 21 Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Differences between "Standard" mode and "Movie" mode.

1) Standard has always-on automatic backlight dimming, also known as "motion lighting" in the menus. The backlight dimming seems to happen on YCbCr signals as well as RGB full range, but not RGB limited range.In Movie mode backlight dimming is disabled completely (except for a pure black screen, where it will also shut off the backlight).
2) Standard has stronger color saturation, approximately 12 points more than Movie mode.
3) Standard has a higher white point (contrast), approximately 6 points more than Movie mode.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406151/the-official-2012-samsung-eh4000-eh5000-eh5300-owners-thread/300#post_22368244

I'm not trying to challenge anything I'm just trying to learn what's going on. If Motion Lighting is the same as auto backlight dimming & is always on in Standard mode, then what does the menu ON/OFF function do?

Regarding #2 & #3: Are you saying for any given numerical setting, such as 50 for color, that Standard has stronger color than Movie? Which does seem to be the case. That's probably why my Standard color 35 looks about the same as my Movie 48.

I'm presuming that Movie can be made to look the same or very similar to Standard, but it will just take different settings. I can understand having different default settings for the different Picture modes for those who want try them. But I wonder why for the same value one mode would look different than another. From your experience is this a Samsung anomaly or do most manufacturers do similar?
post #10 of 21 Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not trying to challenge anything I'm just trying to learn what's going on. If Motion Lighting is the same as auto backlight dimming & is always on in Standard mode, then what does the menu ON/OFF function do?

Regarding #2 & #3: Are you saying for any given numerical setting, such as 50 for color, that Standard has stronger color than Movie? Which does seem to be the case. That's probably why my Standard color 35 looks about the same as my Movie 48.

I'm presuming that Movie can be made to look the same or very similar to Standard, but it will just take different settings. I can understand having different default settings for the different Picture modes for those who want try them. But I wonder why for the same value one mode would look different than another. From your experience is this a Samsung anomaly or do most manufacturers do similar?

first, my above post was actually a quote from the link below it (I have edited it to clarify)... and I'm not trying to be argumentative either

and yes, as far as contrast and color are concerned you have to add about 6 to your Standard mode contrast setting to get the same effect in Movie mode

contrast 75 in standard mode is like contrast 81 in movie mode

color 35 in standard mode is like color 47 in movie mode

motion lighting does do something to light output since when I measure grayscale patterns with my C6 colorimeter/CalMAN 5 software turning it on makes whites somewhat brighter but doesn't change gamma... I'm sure it does more than that but I'll have to look into it another time

post #11 of 21 Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

first, my above post was actually a quote from the link below it (I have edited it to clarify)... and I'm not trying to be argumentative either

and yes, as far as contrast and color are concerned you have to add about 6 to your Standard mode contrast setting to get the same effect in Movie mode

contrast 75 in standard mode is like contrast 81 in movie mode

color 35 in standard mode is like color 47 in movie mode

motion lighting does do something to light output since when I measure grayscale patterns with my C6 colorimeter/CalMAN 5 software turning it on makes whites somewhat brighter but doesn't change gamma... I'm sure it does more than that but I'll have to look into it another time

Thanks for all the information, you have been very helpful.

Initially I did not care for the Movie mode, perhaps because of its default settings. However those rough adjustments, which I forgot I did, gives me a picture which looks similar to what I get with my Standard mode settings.

I just have to find time at night when I’m the only one watching TV so that I can experiment & tweak the Movie mode using the AVS709 disc. For some reason my wife does not like watching test patterns.rolleyes.gif
post #12 of 21 Old 09-20-2013, 03:36 AM

Liked: 12
glad I ran into you guys- I have the dimming in dark scenes on VOD TV, and dont like movie mode for TV viewing (love standard mode). So you say copy my stnd settings to movie mode?- but it's a different mode, isnt it supposed to be different, and won't it always look different? or is it just a slot- labeled whatever and it's the settings that makes the difference?? I mean, can I really make movie mode ever look exactly like my eye popping colorful, sharp, standard mode?? Movie mode does look opaque why?? I will not get alot of the great look if I use RGB right?? I really dont like micro dimming (especially this cheap standard mode) that my UN60f7100 has?? IDEAS???
post #13 of 21 Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loucaruso View Post

glad I ran into you guys- I have the dimming in dark scenes on VOD TV, and dont like movie mode for TV viewing (love standard mode). So you say copy my stnd settings to movie mode?- but it's a different mode, isnt it supposed to be different, and won't it always look different? or is it just a slot- labeled whatever and it's the settings that makes the difference?? I mean, can I really make movie mode ever look exactly like my eye popping colorful, sharp, standard mode?? Movie mode does look opaque why?? I will not get alot of the great look if I use RGB right?? I really dont like micro dimming (especially this cheap standard mode) that my UN60f7100 has?? IDEAS???

Please read the postings here from PlazmaPZ80U. The 2 modes will probably never look 100% identical.

For starters do you have Dynamic Contrast & Eco modes turned off?

Have you adjusted any settings in Standard mode, such as Brightness, Color, etc., using test patterns from DVD such as the AVS709?

As you "calibrate" the settings the picture may not be as eye popping as you like with the default settings in Standard mode. You may prefer the default settings but they are most likely more vivid than what you would get with a properly calibrated TV. After you get the Standard mode settings in the ballpark after using some test patterns you might find the picture will look closer to that of the Movie mode.

I did get my Movie mode to look pretty much like my Standard mode. But again both modes were adjusted using the AVS709 patterns.

I'll post both of the settings later for comparison.
loucaruso likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

also, if you can get your source to output in RGB Standard/Limited (16-236 aka video levels) the dimming is disabled in standard mode

otherwise, you need to set movie mode to match standard mode as closely as possible (keeping in mind that the contrast needs to be about 6 points higher in movie and color needs to be about 12 points higher in movie and you'll need to turn on stuff like dynamic contrast if you like that sort of thing)
loucaruso likes this.

post #15 of 21 Old 09-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Thanks Mike99 and PlasmaPZ80U- everyone here is so amazing - I bought a welle 3D bluray lens cleaner/Home Theater maintenance suite with screen adjusting charts- I can use that right?? What about the 2 patterns in the settings of the TV- do they help at all? BTW- Actually I like dynamic contrast- its on high on my stand mode and on med for movie- Do I HAVE to turn it off?? I have all energy settings off??
post #16 of 21 Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
loucaruso If you want an accurate picture after calibration you'll definitelly have to turn off Dynamic Contrast as it does a lot of more harm specially on High setting.

It's interesting I managed to reach the same conclusion about Standard and Movie presets on my UE35F5000 model with S-PVA panel.
Colors are slghtly more saturated and picture is slghtly brighter in Standard than Movie with the same exact settings.
It's possible to have this presets look exactly the same to the eye by adjusting Color/or White Blance and Contrast.

Mike99 I'm interested to know what are the settings you came up with and what is the panel on your TV. (if you don't mind looking)
I know your results won't necessarily translate to my TV but I'm still curious as I have calibrated my TV by eye only instead of using a calibration suite. (I'll get one soon)

My settings can be found on the UNxxF5000 thead.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I did spend some time adjusting the Movie mode settings using the AVS709 disc. As PlazmaPZ80U mentioned, the same settings for Contrast & Color in Standard mode do not give the same results in Movie mode. However I did not have his info in front of me when I was adjusting the Movie settings and I didn’t remember the figures. But when done I ended up with almost the same exact differences that he mentioned.

Here's what I have in both modes:
Color Tone = Warm1
Dynamic Contrast & Eco settings turned off.
Color Space = Auto
Auto Motion Plus = Clear

Standard Mode:
Backlight = 8
Contrast = 75
Color = 35

Movie Mode:
Backlight = 10
Contrast = 80
Color = 48

Full disclosure - I did tweak the White Balance in Standard mode in order to get better grays in order to get better skin tones. I did not find a need to do this in Movie mode.

It’s difficult to do an A-B comparison because you cannot toggle directly between the 2 modes because there is another one between them & this breaks up the continuity. But if I want to kill the auto dimming the Movie mode gives me a pleasing picture. I don’t know how accurate either mode is but I’m satisfied with either one.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loucaruso View Post

Thanks Mike99 and PlasmaPZ80U- everyone here is so amazing - I bought a welle 3D bluray lens cleaner/Home Theater maintenance suite with screen adjusting charts- I can use that right?? What about the 2 patterns in the settings of the TV- do they help at all? BTW- Actually I like dynamic contrast- its on high on my stand mode and on med for movie- Do I HAVE to turn it off?? I have all energy settings off??

I'm not familiar with the product you bought. But I would think any test pattern is better than none, including the Samsung built in ones. But the AVS709 is free to download & has a wide range of patterns. Usually the most critical setting is for the black level which is labeled brightness on most TVs. You want to see all the shades of dark gray without making them look black. If you drive the dark grays down into black you lose shadow detail. You want to be able to see black buttons & creases on a black suit for example. But if you turn up the black level too high the picture looks washed out.

Basically you adjust brightness so that black level 16 is the blackest there is, yet you still want to see the slight differences between 16 & 17 & 18, etc,
post #19 of 21 Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

+1, the AVS disc is a great free tool that actually works better than many premium discs

post #20 of 21 Old 09-21-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1, the AVS disc is a great free tool that actually works better than many premium discs

I like the AVS709 flashing Color & Tint pattern. My Samsung has an RGB setting which lets you choose to display only Blue. This eliminates the need to use a blue filter & I think really simplifies & makes adjusting Color & Tint foolproof.

FWIW another Samsung model did not have this setting, at least not that I could find, so it's not universal to all their sets.
post #21 of 21 Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Try changing the label for your input to "PC", re-test, and please report back with any observations.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un32f5000 32 Inch Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un32f5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page