^^^^ hi Henry! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My picture is over saturated with reds. I tried every settings possible still can't get a clear picture. Also yes. I'm looking to see if anyone would share calibrated with a meter. I'm surprised CNET hasn't reviewed this television yet.
post #63 of 86 Old 02-26-2014, 02:11 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Otto, you're everywhere!!! biggrin.gif

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #64 of 86 Old 02-26-2014, 02:55 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemechfrito View Post

My picture is over saturated with reds. I tried every settings possible still can't get a clear picture. Also yes. I'm looking to see if anyone would share calibrated with a meter. I'm surprised CNET hasn't reviewed this television yet.

I can't help you with meter-calibrated settings, but as mentioned before, MOVIE mode in STANDARD Color Gamut Range and Color Temp set to LOW is the place to start. I would also recommend turning off everything that can be turned off:

Power Saving, OPC, Motion Enhancement, Quad Pixel Plus 2, Active Contrast, Film Mode, Digital Noise Reduction

Use free test patterns like AVS HD 709 to set Brightness, Contrast, and Sharpness correctly. Then be sure to check the Color Clipping pattern to see if any of the primaries (red, green, blue) clip. If any color clips before 235, lower the contrast. That is all you can do without a meter. If you have a blue filter, like the one that comes with the Disney WoW disc, you can also set Color and Tint. It won't be anywhere near as accurate as a meter calibration, but the results can be quite fantastic.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #65 of 86 Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Okay I will these. Thanks
post #66 of 86 Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
^^^^^ I mentioned the use of the AVS HD 709 disk back in post #44. Like Henry said, all that you may need is an adjustment of the basics to improve your pq.

Yeah Henry, I don't seem to have much of a life anymore wink.gif
post #67 of 86 Old 06-21-2014, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I do not know why Best Buy Geek Squad prefers to calibrate in the "USER" mode. Also there is no "USER" 3D setting - it defaults to "MOVIE 3D" And then there is the hidden "X.V" Color that is enabled by certain Sony blu ray titles. Anyone came up with better calibration settings? The Best Buy Calibration left me with a picture where greens were overly green almost florescent green or neon green depending on the image. I downloaded the AVS calibration disc and have only been able to set brightness & contrast since I do not have blue filter yet. It left me with CONTRAST: 30 BRIGHTNESS: 0 whereas the Geek Squad calibration was CONTRAST: 36 BRIGHTNESS: -7. I was thinking about purchasing the Disney WOW disc but it appears Best Buy & Fry's no longer carry it in store - online only. I did see a few listings for the blu ray on eBay. I assume the WOW comes with blue filter?
post #68 of 86 Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd ask for my money back if they charged you for it. BB does not have a stellar reputation when it comes to calibrations. It's very difficult to properly calibrate a tv in 90 minutes or what ever BB's average time is. Did they leave you with a before and after calibration profile that you could post in the Display Calibration forum for some real expert advice? Blue filters can be misleading if they are not verified back to a referenced standard. Most are not.
post #69 of 86 Old 06-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I'd ask for my money back if they charged you for it. BB does not have a stellar reputation when it comes to calibrations. It's very difficult to properly calibrate a tv in 90 minutes or what ever BB's average time is. Did they leave you with a before and after calibration profile that you could post in the Display Calibration forum for some real expert advice? Blue filters can be misleading if they are not verified back to a referenced standard. Most are not.
No I was not charged for the calibration since I have "Silver" status for reward zone. I was supposedly emailed the calibration but the file was blank.
post #70 of 86 Old 06-22-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
No I was not charged for the calibration since I have "Silver" status for reward zone. I was supposedly emailed the calibration but the file was blank.
That should tell you something about the quality of the calibration or the experience of the calibrator. Usually the file is on their laptop and if you have a printer, they'll print it out for you. Good thing you didn't pay for the cal. You could write down all of the settings, reset your tv back to default settings and then snag the free AVS HD709 calibration disk and adjust the basic settings (contrast, brightness, sharpness, aspect, and color) yourself. That may be all you need. If you don't like what you get you can always set them back to the BB settings, adjust from default to taste, or save up your money and find a local professional calibrator and him calibrate your set. Should be anywhere from around $300 - $500 and should take about 2-3 hours depending on what needs to be done and what you want done. A good calibrator will even explain to you what he's doing and why.
post #71 of 86 Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
That should tell you something about the quality of the calibration or the experience of the calibrator. Usually the file is on their laptop and if you have a printer, they'll print it out for you. Good thing you didn't pay for the cal. You could write down all of the settings, reset your tv back to default settings and then snag the free AVS HD709 calibration disk and adjust the basic settings (contrast, brightness, sharpness, aspect, and color) yourself. That may be all you need. If you don't like what you get you can always set them back to the BB settings, adjust from default to taste, or save up your money and find a local professional calibrator and him calibrate your set. Should be anywhere from around $300 - $500 and should take about 2-3 hours depending on what needs to be done and what you want done. A good calibrator will even explain to you what he's doing and why.
Thanks for the input. Since the calibrator only made changes in USER - I just selected the "MOVIE" mode and already downloaded the AVS HD709 disk. So far - the BRIGHTNESS:0 and CONTRAST:30 and I am in DOT BY DOT mode so no overscan. How do I adjust the color without a blue filter? For color settings I am currently using Ron Merritt's settings. Trying my best to convince myself to keep the tv since it is a 60" and seems small to me already after 10 months of owning the set - thinking of going towards 70" or 80" or even a projector & screen route. How do I find a local professional calibrator in the Los Angeles, CA area? Yes it would be nice to find a calibrator that would calibrate for 2D & 3D & XV color mode.
post #72 of 86 Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Dot to dot is also called 1:1 pixel matching. My LG had built-in red, green, and blue filters when in the Expert mode for calibration. You'll probably have to buy a good blue filter that is traceable back to a reference standard for accuracy. Somebody else may have a better idea. Is your set the Sharp that advertises yellow pixels? If so, I've heard that calibrating those to accuracy is complicated because yellow is a combined blue/green. Again, hopefully somebody who has experience with the Sharp's will comment. It's been awhile but I think the x.v. color mode is only on a few blu-ray disks, and then you have to have a compatible blu-ray player that can decode and transmit it. I don't think you'll really see any perceptible difference if you tv is properly calibrated. You can go to the Display Calibration forum and ask for a local calibrator. I think there's even a sticky for it. It would be wise to ask for references, when his equipment was calibrated last and to what, experience with your particular tv, etc.
rayven likes this.
post #73 of 86 Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Dot to dot is also called 1:1 pixel matching. My LG had built-in red, green, and blue filters when in the Expert mode for calibration. You'll probably have to buy a good blue filter that is traceable back to a reference standard for accuracy. Somebody else may have a better idea. Is your set the Sharp that advertises yellow pixels? If so, I've heard that calibrating those to accuracy is complicated because yellow is a combined blue/green. Again, hopefully somebody who has experience with the Sharp's will comment. It's been awhile but I think the x.v. color mode is only on a few blu-ray disks, and then you have to have a compatible blu-ray player that can decode and transmit it. I don't think you'll really see any perceptible difference if you tv is properly calibrated. You can go to the Display Calibration forum and ask for a local calibrator. I think there's even a sticky for it. It would be wise to ask for references, when his equipment was calibrated last and to what, experience with your particular tv, etc.
Thanks again!!! Yes the 857 is a Quattron set with the yellow pixels. Is the blue filter from the Disney WOW disc any good? Or should I order the one directly from THX? There is a "MONOCHROME" mode on the Sharp that turns everything Black & White - have no idea what this mode can be used for. I am surprised my previous set a Samsung has the Blue Screen Mode.

When Best Buy calibrated he just adjusted the Backlight, Brightness, Contrast, Color, and Tint and the RGB settings in Color Temperature. There is an Advanced CMS system that lets you adjust RGB Yellow, Magenta and Cyan. These are the settings that vary from the different settings posted here.

Yes, the X.V color mode is only used on a few "Mastered In 4K" blu rays published by Sony.
post #74 of 86 Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have any experience with the included blue filter with WoW so can't help you there. You could try it and see. Just keep a written record of your settings so you can refer back to them if you find one you like or want to revert back and start over. For the CMS system you really need to use a light meter and special pattern generators. You could just leave it at default if all you have is the disk and just adjust what you can with the disk.
post #75 of 86 Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I don't have any experience with the included blue filter with WoW so can't help you there. You could try it and see. Just keep a written record of your settings so you can refer back to them if you find one you like or want to revert back and start over. For the CMS system you really need to use a light meter and special pattern generators. You could just leave it at default if all you have is the disk and just adjust what you can with the disk.
I went ahead and ordered the Blue filter THX Glasses. I figured I already had the AVS HD709 disk and to just calibrate with that. Also purchased the Disney WOW disc. I also got in touch with a local calibrator.

Last edited by powertoburn; 06-26-2014 at 01:14 AM.
post #76 of 86 Old 06-28-2014, 01:16 AM

The THX Blue GLASSES arrived as well as Disney WOW - I used the AVS 709HD disc to start and used Disney WOW to check again. I cleared all the settings in "Movie" and set it to:

Backlight: Standard
Contrast: 36
Brightness: 0
Color: -3
Tint: +4
Sharpness +1
120Hz High
GAMMA: -1
STANDARD gamut and low temperature. I left the settings default in CMS and Color Temperature

The tv looks better already even though the colors aren't very vibrant.

Last edited by powertoburn; 06-29-2014 at 07:48 AM.
post #77 of 86 Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The THX Blue GLASSES arrived as well as Disney WOW - I used the AVS 709HD disc to start and used Disney WOW to check again. I cleared all the settings in "Movie" and set it to:

Backlight: Standard
Contrast: 35
Brightness: 0
Color: -4
Tint: +5
Sharpness +1
120Hz High
GAMMA: -2
STANDARD gamut and low temperature. I left the settings default in CMS and Color Temperature

The tv looks better already even though the colors aren't very vibrant.
Keep in mind if you adjust with one disk, and then check against another disk, you could have issues because of the differences in the disks. Also, make sure that ALL video processing is disabled on the tv as well as the blu-ray player because you don't want to introduce any artificial enhancements while making adjustments. To check your adjustments, I'd use a well made blu-ray movie (there are quite a few that folks recommend) and watch it very carefully for distinctions between light and dark, detail, accuracy of color, etc. Don't use a movie with lots fo CGI or animation because they don't have to follow REC. 709 standards. I used the blu-ray version of Sea Biscuit, with notes on what to look for in specific scenes, to check my adjustments and eventual calibration.
post #78 of 86 Old 06-29-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind if you adjust with one disk, and then check against another disk, you could have issues because of the differences in the disks. Also, make sure that ALL video processing is disabled on the tv as well as the blu-ray player because you don't want to introduce any artificial enhancements while making adjustments. To check your adjustments, I'd use a well made blu-ray movie (there are quite a few that folks recommend) and watch it very carefully for distinctions between light and dark, detail, accuracy of color, etc. Don't use a movie with lots fo CGI or animation because they don't have to follow REC. 709 standards. I used the blu-ray version of Sea Biscuit, with notes on what to look for in specific scenes, to check my adjustments and eventual calibration.
I found both discs gave me similar results. It was easier to adjust color / tint with the THX Blue Glasses and AVS 709HD. Because the brightness is:0 when I watch DirecTV you can see the digital compression used on certain dark shows "Salem" "PENNY DREADFUL" But, I can see more details in the pictures for examples shadows - the BB calibration had my brightness:-7 and had my color:-7 but he adjusted the white balance which I assumed made up the difference of having color set lower.
post #79 of 86 Old 06-29-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ that's good then. It makes it a bit easier. Just don't make adjustments to your D*TV picture because the source will change a lot and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep your pq consistent.
post #80 of 86 Old 07-03-2014, 03:23 AM

Watched several movies on blu ray this past week - "Home Front" "Star Wars IV A New Hope" and "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" colors are simply amazing with blu ray but with DirecTV the picture quality is not so great often times observe pixelization and funky color in terms flesh tones look pale or overly yellow and I am outputting 1080p/080i/720p depending on the HD channel I am viewing - With Netflix from AppleTV watching "Orange Is The New Black" picture quality is much better then DirecTV but colors appear a little off not vibrant like blu ray. I use HDMI 1 on my tv for all my sources and go through my AVR for the sources.
post #81 of 86 Old 07-03-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

What you're experiencing is more than likely a source issue and has nothing to do with your tv or its settings. That's why it's best to adjust or calibrate your tv via a blu-ray player because you can control, to a certain extent, the source material. By that I mean that you can disable all artificial enhancements in the blu-ray player and tv before you make your adjustments. Your connection is controlled as well because you are using a single HDMI cable from your blu-ray player to your tv so there's no "transmission" issues either. There are some who feel that adjusting or calibrating each input or device is necessary but I think that's wrong because the source and transmission of the source is going to vary from time to time, as you have experienced between D*TV and Netflix. All of my sources go thru my AVR as well but I have all enhancements on the AVR disabled as well so it just passes what ever it receives to the tv.
post #82 of 86 Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Watched several movies on blu ray this past week - "Home Front" "Star Wars IV A New Hope" and "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" colors are simply amazing with blu ray but with DirecTV the picture quality is not so great often times observe pixelization and funky color in terms flesh tones look pale or overly yellow and I am outputting 1080p/080i/720p depending on the HD channel I am viewing - With Netflix from AppleTV watching "Orange Is The New Black" picture quality is much better then DirecTV but colors appear a little off not vibrant like blu ray. I use HDMI 1 on my tv for all my sources and go through my AVR for the sources.
By any chance did you have standard Direct TV and convert to HD without upgrading the cable? Some installers don't catch this as I have experienced a few years back.
post #83 of 86 Old 07-03-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayven View Post
By any chance did you have standard Direct TV and convert to HD without upgrading the cable? Some installers don't catch this as I have experienced a few years back.
I started with DirecTV HD DVR then upgraded to a Genie. New cables were installed. The digital artifacts seem to be the most noticeable during dark scenes. I think it most likely has to do with source.
post #84 of 86 Old 07-04-2014, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Okay, it was just a thought. I have the same tv and Direct tv as well. Most channels look really good but some as you state don't do as well. I've had my tv since January and appears to me the picture has improved with better blacks and colors more vibrant.

Good luck
post #85 of 86 Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayven View Post
Okay, it was just a thought. I have the same tv and Direct tv as well. Most channels look really good but some as you state don't do as well. I've had my tv since January and appears to me the picture has improved with better blacks and colors more vibrant.

Good luck
Thanks!!! I have found the cloudy spots in my set have gotten less over time. You care to share your settings for color?

I adjusted the R HIGH AND LOW values in white balance because on the color clipping test - red clipped after green - after the adjustment red clips at green
post #86 of 86 Old 07-13-2014, 01:51 AM

After I put the tv into "DOT BY DOT" mode - the quality of DirecTV improved. I am guessing when in Stretch Mode since the pixels get stretched the compression is more noticeable.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 70le857u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page