Sony XBR-65HX950 or KDL-65W850A? Need advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Long story short, I am trying to decide between these two sets. I know the W850A is not coming out for a month so I could wait. I was thinking about the W900A originally before I saw that Sony was basically coming out with a bigger version (size was the only thing holding me back from getting the W900A). At the same time I found a closeout brand new 65" XBR 950. I am coming from an Elite LCD so I thought it would be worth considering since the black levels would be close and it's full array like the Elite. The banding issues reported in the owners thread worry me a bit but it looks like they are minor for the most part. Any suggestions? I know the W850A is not full array so the black levels won't compare but the W900A in the store looked great even black level wise. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the XBR would be about $800 more than the W850A if that makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Long story short, I am trying to decide between these two sets. I know the W850A is not coming out for a month so I could wait. I was thinking about the W900A originally before I saw that Sony was basically coming out with a bigger version (size was the only thing holding me back from getting the W900A). At the same time I found a closeout brand new 65" XBR 950. I am coming from an Elite LCD so I thought it would be worth considering since the black levels would be close and it's full array like the Elite. The banding issues reported in the owners thread worry me a bit but it looks like they are minor for the most part. Any suggestions? I know the W850A is not full array so the black levels won't compare but the W900A in the store looked great even black level wise. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the XBR would be about $800 more than the W850A if that makes a difference.

For what it's worth, I put in some comparison time between an open box 65" HX950 and a W900 at my local Magnolia shop over the weekend. I put both in cinema mode and turned off any of the extraneous features/interpolation, but did do some playing with settings like contrast enhancers and what I believed to be the "Triluminos" intensity setting on the W900. (live color, was it?) There were two HD football games on at the time, so I was tuned to them for the majority of my comparison. (Best Buy's own demo loop was left completely out of the equation)

To be blunt, I instantly loved the natural picture of the HX950. Color looked excellently on-hue and saturation/luminance was just right. The only negative that I picked up on was a bit of blooming during a few commercials where white letters were displayed on a black background. This wasn't noticeable during the actual content, but I would predict this cropping up from time to time during some dark movie scenes -- but most likely predominantly while watching in a completely darkened room which I never actually do.

The W900, on the other hand, wasn't exactly love at first sight for me. While superficial, the bezel design isn't nearly as elegant as the HX950's. then again, I've loved the "one sheet of glass" design since the Panasonic 800U and I really do think that Sony has been able to pull it off better than anyone else with their "monolothic" aesthetic. Sense of depth didn't seem as good on the W900 leading to a less natural looking picture. Both were excellently detailed and sharpness was handled correctly without exaggeration. Depth of black seemed to be comparable on both, but I seen no blooming on the W900 so advantage to the new set there. Concerning the color enhancement provided by (what I believed to be) the Triluminos setting... I really didn't like it and found the picture best with it in the off position. It added some welcome punch here and there, but the affect was noted as a negative far more often in the way of overdriven reds. (i.e. faces)

Both the W900 and HX950 were comparable in effective viewing angle -- which is to say pretty terrible. Both seemed to wash out colors heavily at very acute angles from comfortable distance, but I only noticed a blue shift in the blacks on the W900. Motion processing, however, was superb on both and I noted no discernible difference and there was very little, if any, noticeable blurring. As a longtime plasma guy, I really appreciated Sony's finessed approach to LCD motion processing. It's this performance attribute that had caused me to instantaneously rule out other major manufacturers like Samsung and LG. (Panasonic is the only other manufacturer that really seems to understand how to offset this inherent technological shortcoming)

I was there for around 2 hours (!) and was approached by thee different sales people. I happily announced that I was interested in their open box/old stock HX950 but wouldn't commit to making an offer without them making the first move. (they had it tagged at $2800) I also openly discussed my past history with the Kuro line (of which they were all, thankfully, familiar with) to send the signal that I was, in fact, a serious potential buyer and wasn't just window shopping outside of my budget. Alas, just before the most personable of them came to me announcing that they were able to secure me their "best price," (would've counter-offered no matter what and walked away if they refused to move any more -- only to return a few days later and continue the bargaining strategy) I changed the HX950 to a boating program on NBC. Three vertical lines (one subtle on the left, two right of center that were much less so) of DSE were nearly ever-present in the solidly-toned water. No exaggeration: it was the absolute worst example of DSE I had ever seen on any flat panel. I changed the W900 to the same program and noted no such issue. For me, this was a deal breaker and I walked away without even hearing the salesperson's offer. Apart from the viewing angles, the HX950 seemed to be the ideal television to segue me from plasma to LCD, but I've owned flat panels with subtle DSE and found it to be an annoyance, but still acceptable. What was on that HX950 was unacceptable. And yes, I do realize that this was an open box item that could have not been representative of the average sample and I did kill the power to investigate the screen for any physical defects/smudging. (used my white t-shirt to attempt to "scrub" it a bit to no avail) However, I came home and Googled it to find that many have had a similar experience with this particular model.

To be clear: both are excellent televisions. Personally, I just couldn't live with the DSE that I observed on the HX950. If Sony made any effort to reduce/eliminate this effect on the W850, that would be my choice despite my preference of the HX950 to the W900.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

EDIT: Or maybe it wasn't DSE, but rather "banding?" My apologies, but in comparison to my plasma knowledge I'm an LCD neophyte. smile.gif
post #3 of 30 Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 View Post

For what it's worth, I put in some comparison time between an open box 65" HX950 and a W900 at my local Magnolia shop over the weekend. I put both in cinema mode and turned off any of the extraneous features/interpolation, but did do some playing with settings like contrast enhancers and what I believed to be the "Triluminos" intensity setting on the W900. (live color, was it?) There were two HD football games on at the time, so I was tuned to them for the majority of my comparison. (Best Buy's own demo loop was left completely out of the equation)

To be blunt, I instantly loved the natural picture of the HX950. Color looked excellently on-hue and saturation/luminance was just right. The only negative that I picked up on was a bit of blooming during a few commercials where white letters were displayed on a black background. This wasn't noticeable during the actual content, but I would predict this cropping up from time to time during some dark movie scenes -- but most likely predominantly while watching in a completely darkened room which I never actually do.

The W900, on the other hand, wasn't exactly love at first sight for me. While superficial, the bezel design isn't nearly as elegant as the HX950's. then again, I've loved the "one sheet of glass" design since the Panasonic 800U and I really do think that Sony has been able to pull it off better than anyone else with their "monolothic" aesthetic. Sense of depth didn't seem as good on the W900 leading to a less natural looking picture. Both were excellently detailed and sharpness was handled correctly without exaggeration. Depth of black seemed to be comparable on both, but I seen no blooming on the W900 so advantage to the new set there. Concerning the color enhancement provided by (what I believed to be) the Triluminos setting... I really didn't like it and found the picture best with it in the off position. It added some welcome punch here and there, but the affect was noted as a negative far more often in the way of overdriven reds. (i.e. faces)

Both the W900 and HX950 were comparable in effective viewing angle -- which is to say pretty terrible. Both seemed to wash out colors heavily at very acute angles from comfortable distance, but I only noticed a blue shift in the blacks on the W900. Motion processing, however, was superb on both and I noted no discernible difference and there was very little, if any, noticeable blurring. As a longtime plasma guy, I really appreciated Sony's finessed approach to LCD motion processing. It's this performance attribute that had caused me to instantaneously rule out other major manufacturers like Samsung and LG. (Panasonic is the only other manufacturer that really seems to understand how to offset this inherent technological shortcoming)

I was there for around 2 hours (!) and was approached by thee different sales people. I happily announced that I was interested in their open box/old stock HX950 but wouldn't commit to making an offer without them making the first move. (they had it tagged at $2800) I also openly discussed my past history with the Kuro line (of which they were all, thankfully, familiar with) to send the signal that I was, in fact, a serious potential buyer and wasn't just window shopping outside of my budget. Alas, just before the most personable of them came to me announcing that they were able to secure me their "best price," (would've counter-offered no matter what and walked away if they refused to move any more -- only to return a few days later and continue the bargaining strategy) I changed the HX950 to a boating program on NBC. Three vertical lines (one subtle on the left, two right of center that were much less so) of DSE were nearly ever-present in the solidly-toned water. No exaggeration: it was the absolute worst example of DSE I had ever seen on any flat panel. I changed the W900 to the same program and noted no such issue. For me, this was a deal breaker and I walked away without even hearing the salesperson's offer. Apart from the viewing angles, the HX950 seemed to be the ideal television to segue me from plasma to LCD, but I've owned flat panels with subtle DSE and found it to be an annoyance, but still acceptable. What was on that HX950 was unacceptable. And yes, I do realize that this was an open box item that could have not been representative of the average sample and I did kill the power to investigate the screen for any physical defects/smudging. (used my white t-shirt to attempt to "scrub" it a bit to no avail) However, I came home and Googled it to find that many have had a similar experience with this particular model.

To be clear: both are excellent televisions. Personally, I just couldn't live with the DSE that I observed on the HX950. If Sony made any effort to reduce/eliminate this effect on the W850, that would be my choice despite my preference of the HX950 to the W900.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

EDIT: Or maybe it wasn't DSE, but rather "banding?" My apologies, but in comparison to my plasma knowledge I'm an LCD neophyte. smile.gif

That's for the detailed response! I really appreciate it! Yes that sounds like banding. Hmmm, I really want the full array feature but I might have to think about it some more.
post #4 of 30 Old 09-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Liked: 19
On Sonys site if you expand the full specs... for the W line... it says ONLY the W900 has the Triluminous
I recently got a plasma but have been eyeing the w900a but the screen is not big enough. Im a bit bummed out since it says the tech is for the w900a; the 65 is a W850A
http://store.sony.com/c/TVs-LED-LCD-3D-TV/en/c/S_Televisions
post #5 of 30 Old 09-21-2013, 03:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cg006 View Post

On Sonys site if you expand the full specs... for the W line... it says ONLY the W900 has the Triluminous
I recently got a plasma but have been eyeing the w900a but the screen is not big enough. Im a bit bummed out since it says the tech is for the w900a; the 65 is a W850A
http://store.sony.com/c/TVs-LED-LCD-3D-TV/en/c/S_Televisions
There may be some confusion and/or errors as Sony is updating their site, but the 65W850A does include the Triluminous display from all the official specifications I have seen. The only technical downgrade from the 55W900A is the Motionflow XR480 instead of the Motionflow XR960.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-21-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I would personally go for the HX950. But that's just me.
post #7 of 30 Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I would personally go for the HX950. But that's just me.

Yeah I'm still thinking it over. I really want that full array local dimming. It is really frustrating when the home theater chain down the street has quite a few sealed Elite 60" and 70" set's but they won't go more than a few hundred under MSRP. They aren't selling them and it's discontinued anyway.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:

Long story short, I am trying to decide between these two sets. I know the W850A is not coming out for a month so I could wait. I was thinking about the W900A originally before I saw that Sony was basically coming out with a bigger version (size was the only thing holding me back from getting the W900A).

Did you make a decision yet? The 850a should be shipping this week.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #9 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Did you make a decision yet? The 850a should be shipping this week.

Still deciding. I could have got it directly from Sony a a little over a week ago but I want to save on tax. I was waiting for a online store that doesn't charge tax to get it first. I am still considering the 950 because I know it will blow it away overall minus the banding issue. The W850a is cheaper by a good amount though if I don't have to mess with tax. I wish there was more information out about the set or a review. I suppose those will be coming soon.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidch View Post

There may be some confusion and/or errors as Sony is updating their site, but the 65W850A does include the Triluminous display from all the official specifications I have seen. The only technical downgrade from the 55W900A is the Motionflow XR480 instead of the Motionflow XR960.

There is another technical downgrade in the Panel. Some 'Deep Black' feature. It's also mentioned on the Canadian Sony website that the screen has a slight CURVE to it. Nobody has really expanded on whether or not this curve is true.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458698/official-sony-kdl-55w900a-owners-thread/1470#post_23776524

EDIT: Haha...just revisited the site...no more actual description that the screen is curved...but the profile picture of a slightly curved monitor is still there...hmm....

post #11 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not seeing the curved pic...?

Sony's S990A has a slightly curved screen, but it looks nothing like the 850a pictures.

post #12 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd_username View Post

There is another technical downgrade in the Panel. Some 'Deep Black' feature. It's also mentioned on the Canadian Sony website that the screen has a slight CURVE to it. Nobody has really expanded on whether or not this curve is true.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458698/official-sony-kdl-55w900a-owners-thread/1470#post_23776524

EDIT: Haha...just revisited the site...no more actual description that the screen is curved...but the profile picture of a slightly curved monitor is still there...hmm....

I don't believe the 65w850 panel is curved, rather I think the profile picture depicts back panel thickness away from the edges.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-10-2013, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 414
I ordered the sony kdl-65w850a set in early September from Amazon. As of 10/09/13 they had 5 sets in stock. The next evening that number was up to 16 sets. I had bought a very nice Pana 55" VT30 plasma set in 2011 which CNet raved how great it's picture was. I agree and it did have the blackest blacks and best color I had ever seen on a TV. The 3D was fantastic. Then 2 years later it went black just after turning it on, with the 7 blinks of death. I downloaded the service manual as I used to work on TV's in the old days when I owned my own TV shop. I did the Pana test and it says to replace the SC, SD and SU boards together should fix the problem. The cost would be near $400 with new Pana boards and a gamble it would go out again in a few years.

I decided to go back to Sony. I have had many of their XBR sets starting way back in the late 70's. Actually I had this one XBR CRT set that lasted 14 years with no problems till it finally went out. I have 3 less than 3 yr old sony sets, two at 42", one 32" and two 19" Sanyo's. The new 65" TV will be for the living room. I have these sets connected in a network using HDMI cables.

I just got a email from Amazon telling me my set is almost ready to ship. They will send me another email when it leaves their warehouse and will be delivered by a private carrier. Not bad, no tax and free shipping. I could have paid $89 and got the TV in 5 days. I'm cheap, lol and really like amazon's free shipping.

I learned a lot mostly using youtube on Sony's new Triluminos display. How it uses a light blue leds somehow painted with a yellow color. The combination of the blue/yellow leds somehow filters to match the sunlight for a improve picture and extra colors. It's said you can adjust it to be brighter than the other LED TV's. The extra brightness would come in handy when watching 3D movies using the active glasses. The set comes with 4 sets which I read may not be rechargeable. My thoughts on that is the newer the technology the less power is uses and they are lighter. The batteries may last a long time.

This is my first post here but I have read in these informative AVS forms for years about TV antenna's, TV comparisons and surround sound systems.
DaverJ and holonalu like this.
post #14 of 30 Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

I ordered the sony kdl-65w850a set in early September from Amazon. As of 10/09/13 they had 5 sets in stock. The next evening that number was up to 16 sets. I had bought a very nice Pana 55" VT30 plasma set in 2011 which CNet raved how great it's picture was. I agree and it did have the blackest blacks and best color I had ever seen on a TV. The 3D was fantastic. Then 2 years later it went black just after turning it on, with the 7 blinks of death. I downloaded the service manual as I used to work on TV's in the old days when I owned my own TV shop. I did the Pana test and it says to replace the SC, SD and SU boards together should fix the problem. The cost would be near $400 with new Pana boards and a gamble it would go out again in a few years.

I decided to got back with Sony. I have had many of their XBR sets starting way back in the late 70's. Actually I had this one XBR CRT set that lasted 14 years with no problems till it finally went out. I have 3 rather new sony sets now, two 40", one 32" and two 19" Sanyo's. The new 65" TV will be for the living room. I have these sets connected in a network using HDMI cables.

I just got a email from Amazon telling me my set is almost ready to ship. They will send me another email when it leaves their warehouse and will be delivered by a private carrier. Not bad, no tax and free shipping. I could have paid $88.50 and got the TV in 5 days. I'm cheap, lol and really like amazon's free shipping.

I learned a lot mostly using youtube on Sony's new Triluminos display. How it uses a light blue leds somehow painted with a yellow color. The combination of the blue/yellow leds somehow filters or used a extra filter to match the sunlight for a improve picture and more colors. It's said you can adjust it to be brighter then the other TV's. The extra brightness would come in handy if you like 3D movies.

This is my first post here but I have read in these informative AVS forms for years about TV antenna's, TV comparisons and surround sound systems.

I have been waiting and trying to find any reviews or user experience on this TV. Since it has just started shipping the reviews are pretty much non existent.
If you would let us know over in the "official" thread on this TV after you get it i'm sure alot of people would appreciate it!!
Gerry
post #15 of 30 Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post

I have been waiting and trying to find any reviews or user experience on this TV. Since it has just started shipping the reviews are pretty much non existent.
If you would let us know over in the "official" thread on this TV after you get it i'm sure alot of people would appreciate it!!
Gerry

I don't think an official thread for the w850A has been created yet. confused.gif

post #16 of 30 Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I don't think an official thread for the w850A has been created yet. confused.gif

Apologize, I guess it says "w850A reviews". Been reading too many threads:eek:
post #17 of 30 Old 10-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 414
I bought new 65w850a from amazon. The sony set is being shipped from indianapolis, indiana. The tracking info is not very detailed other then is says it will be here on thursday oct 17th. I called CEVA the main carrier. They said it's somewhere between Columbus, Ohio and Dallas. A girl at CEVA said its should arrive in El Paso on monday. I live in alamogordo, NM about 80 miles north of Paso. They will have to wait to get enough deliveries to bring the set to me. I'm really excited to see the picture on this set.

I think their was another here in the forums that may have also ordered this 65w850a set. That's a nice price for a high quality 65" picture at $2700.

I hope I can remember how great the picture was on the 55" VT30 Panasonic set I have for comparison. It went out a month ago with the 7 blinks of death after 2 years use. I may fix it this winter and use it as a spare TV. I did read in these forums that Panasonic is dropping their plasma's, April 2014. The Pana VT30 had a incredible picture with fantastic blacks. I'm hoping sony's new triluminos display would have as good a picture and be close with it's blacks.

Could be that Panasonic and Sony may get back in a race to who can make the best LED picture in the near future. Most may not know it but it was Sony that made the first flat panel TV in the 80's. The prototype 20" set cost about $48K. Panasonic made a slightly larger screen flat panel set a year later at a cost of $42K for their prototype. One problem with the digital sets back then was the signal which took 3 VHF channels for one video transmission. Over the years they learned to compress the signal down. In fact they compressed it so much they can now transmit 1 HD channel and 3 or more digital channels over the same TV transmitter antenna. Example, ch 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 all from a single TV antenna.

I'm doing this from memory so excuse me if I ad-lib sometimes so correct me when i'm wrong.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-18-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 10
I bought new 65w850a from amazon and got them to price match (PCMALL) so the final cost was $2470 including tax, and shipping. The TV is a very nice set and a lot better than the Sony KDL-70R550A I recently bought and returned.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any calibration setting for the set - Out of the Box the picture is great but still needs some tuning.

Thanks
post #19 of 30 Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedah View Post

I bought new 65w850a from amazon and got them to price match (PCMALL) so the final cost was $2470 including tax, and shipping. The TV is a very nice set and a lot better than the Sony KDL-70R550A I recently bought and returned.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any calibration setting for the set - Out of the Box the picture is great but still needs some tuning.

Thanks

You know, this question of asking for other people's calibration numbers is in my opinion not always wise.  Just go in there and play with the calibrations and learn for yourself the intricacies of each and the push/pull affect.  You can always at the end do reset so no harmed done.  Each persons eyes slighty interprets image a litlle different.  I, probalby being over age 60 prefer vivid with slight variations.  Can't stand the washed out cinema scene.  Prefer cool to warm setting.  I have a 55hx820 and a 55w900a - both diferent in fine tuning for nearly same picture.  Love the triluminous in the 900a/850a.  Sony has really did it this time with brightness and the reds, blues, aquas.

post #20 of 30 Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

So YOTR which one did u end up getting? I am also trying to decide between W850 and HX950 or even Samsung F8000. Your feedback will be appreciated.
post #21 of 30 Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboy1 View Post

So YOTR which one did u end up getting? I am also trying to decide between W850 and HX950 or even Samsung F8000. Your feedback will be appreciated.

Im in the same boat as you in my research. The Samsung 8000 and HX950 are about the same price, so Id say HX950 there, but the 850a's price has dropped to an outstanding level, and the CNet review on the 8000 and 850a was excellent.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #22 of 30 Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Im in the same boat as you in my research. The Samsung 8000 and HX950 are about the same price, so Id say HX950 there, but the 850a's price has dropped to an outstanding level, and the CNet review on the 8000 and 850a was excellent.

I did not know that CNET had done a review for Sony W850A. Do u have a link for that?
post #23 of 30 Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Sorry, they did the little bro 900A, but both the 900 and 850 have outstanding ratings on Amazon.
bestboy1 likes this.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #24 of 30 Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
http://www.adorama.com/SOXBR65HX950.html

Hope the link works sorry if it doesn't but its a great deal I found on a 65HX950 for $2798 if someone is interested. If the link didn't work I found it on Amazon to from the same seller.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #25 of 30 Old 03-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Curious at what set you finally bought if either.  65hx950 down to $2999 but they seem to have difficulty selling out due to people's fear of getting bad set.  The 65w850a price staying stable at $2499.  To this day, am still considering between the two.  Really would like to know what you did.

post #26 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx820atl View Post

Curious at what set you finally bought if either.  65hx950 down to $2999 but they seem to have difficulty selling out due to people's fear of getting bad set.  The 65w850a price staying stable at $2499.  To this day, am still considering between the two.  Really would like to know what you did.
Why the concern for a "bad set"? Was there a common problem with this set? I do see some 1 star reviews on Amazon talking about banding and blurring and dirty screen effect. Is that it? This TV is commonly regarded as having among the best PQ of any.
post #27 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

Why the concern for a "bad set"? Was there a common problem with this set? I do see some 1 star reviews on Amazon talking about banding and blurring and dirty screen effect. Is that it? This TV is commonly regarded as having among the best PQ of any.

Yep, the banding and DSE.   Also reading different forums including  AVS xh950 forum  and others on avs concerning this plus remember reading someone in the know saying production had ended early due to inherent weakness for this defect in panel.  OneCall on Amazon and ebay at $2999 and they are not moving.

I watch OneCall ad daily but have kind of decided on the 65w850a in which I will appreciate the triluminous and dynamic range brightness stuff but would really miss the opticontrast gorilla glass and overall PQ of hx950.

Yeah, fear of getting a bad panel in the 65hx950 really scrares me (considering the money) and I know of the hassle in sony tv going bad even within warranty because then sony would just replace it with a x 4k series which is cheapened and 4k does nothing for me because of lack of content available and poor reviews of actual upscaling capability.

OneCall does accept returns within 30 days with buyer paying return and that is what I'd utilize if immediate bad banding or bad dse - but what a hassle.

But is there a price I would buy the 65hx950?  Maybe, but 65w850a price will be going down too.  (now at $2399)

post #28 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I've been checking out the same sets and the 2014 models. The HX950 gets rave reviews. None of the professional reviewers mention these issues. Are they only present on some "bad" panels? It would be odd to have banding only on some panels, but I guess I'm wrong. I have had my eyes on the W850A, as well, seeing it as the 2012-2014 models (removing the W900A because I can't stand the speakers and it's only 55"). This year's 850, the 70W850B, is absent the triluminous feature and does Frame Dimming. Too bad, I would like 70". And the W950B sure got panned in two early reviews.

BTW, the 65W850A is now $2298. I can get it locally and will shoot for a pricematch with Onecall.

In the 65W850A thread I see some report playing the "panel lottery" with banding as well.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/1080#post_24314724

From the description, what they are calling "banding" is not what I was thinking of. I see banding as sharp demarcations in color shades when there are not enough bits to create fine gradations in color shade. What the above post described are vertical strips on the screen that are lighter than other areas. Eeek! That is a defect, whereas color banding is an inherent limitation in the panel and color processing engine. So, that explains why there is hit and miss "banding" as reported with the H950, and I gather to some extent with the W850A, is not the more consistent banding issue I had expected it was.

Here's a photo of "banding" on a 65W850A. I would call it "poor backlight uniformity", but, yeah those are bands. My Lord, that's BAAAAD...

On the other hand, this post makes a good case for the banding being due to improper settings...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/1080#post_24319022

Quote:

Yep, the banding and DSE.   Also reading different forums including  AVS xh950 forum  and others on avs concerning this plus remember reading someone in the know saying production had ended early due to inherent weakness for this defect in panel.  OneCall on Amazon and ebay at $2999 and they are not moving.

I watch OneCall ad daily but have kind of decided on the 65w850a in which I will appreciate the triluminous and dynamic range brightness stuff but would really miss the opticontrast gorilla glass and overall PQ of hx950.

Yeah, fear of getting a bad panel in the 65hx950 really scrares me (considering the money) and I know of the hassle in sony tv going bad even within warranty because then sony would just replace it with a x 4k series which is cheapened and 4k does nothing for me because of lack of content available and poor reviews of actual upscaling capability.

OneCall does accept returns within 30 days with buyer paying return and that is what I'd utilize if immediate bad banding or bad dse - but what a hassle.

But is there a price I would buy the 65hx950?  Maybe, but 65w850a price will be going down too.  (now at $2399)
post #29 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

I've been checking out the same sets and the 2014 models. The HX950 gets rave reviews. Nonevof the professional reviewers mention these issues. Are they only present on some "bad" panels? It would be odd to have banding only some panels.

I think the panel is suspectable to the problem.  It is a hit or miss problem from what I have observed from forums.  Plus I have taken the recent reviews on amazon to heart.  I do think if you get one from OneCall and it's good (doesn't have to be perfect) you will be ok to keep it.  If not, pay to send back for full refund or try another.

I had a 46hx820 have the 4 blink status light failure within one week of warranty expiring.  If it happened 1 week later, it would have been $1500 total loss.  I google the problem and it's extremely common on nx720, hx820 and even hx850.  It was total hell dealing with sony warranty but in the end after hours of phone calls, I received 55w900a as replacement.  Lucky for sony it's only a year warranty and problem seems to occur after a year.

So I look at a $3000 65hx950 and what happens after 18 months?  Extended warranty another $300 with warranty not as good as sony original warranty.  The stupid tv's are not repairable period so I try to be careful with what I must have since money is valuable and quite honestly, the 65hx950 would be a tv I'd love to have but if it had to be replaced with a newer tv due to problems, I'd be extremely unhappy losing it just like all the people whose gorilla glass tvs failed and sony gave them 2013 tvs.  They loved their gorilla glass tvs for the inky black monlithic design, not just for the PQ.

Anyhow, if you desire the 65hx950, I'd say go for it.  It is beautiful even when it's turned off.

post #30 of 30 Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry I didn't see your question early. I decided to go with a Sharp Elite. Like the Sony XBR950, Sharp isn't making those anymore either so I understand you concern if the Sony should die (and sony didn't have any refurb 950's on hand). At the same time though, the 950 is quite a bit better than the W850A in my opinion. I have seen both side by side and it was obvious which set was better. FALD makes the 950 the clear choice. Plus there is only about a $500 price difference. Remember the sony once sold for $5K. Keep watching the one call ebay listing for the 950. I have seen it dip down $200 every now and then for a day or two. Banding is going to be an issue on any set 60" or greater (particularly 65" and greater). I know it stinks but every lcd I have owned recently since I sold my Kuro has had some sort of banding (all 3 sharp elite's I have owned). I have seen pictures in the W850a thread that show banding, clouding etc.

All LCD's are going to have these common issues for the most part. The FALD of the 950 though will significantly hide any picture issues where you might only see them when the local dimming is turned off (which you will never do). I would take a chance on the 950 if I was in your shoes. It was my runner up next to the Sharp Elite. You have to decide what you can live with because they will all have little issues here and there (W850A is know for having dark sides and it's pretty obvious on most content).

Good luck regardless!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page