LG Smart TV 2013 Smart Share DLNA Client - Can the Playlist/Menus be modified/added to? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Posting this here as it applies to many 2013 LG "Smart" TVs.

The 2013 LG models dropped the Plex Client and now have a DLNA compliant client app only. mad.gif

For PC DLNA Servers I have been experimented with WMP, Nero Home Essentials and Mezzmo.

On the server side there are a number of "built-in" playlists/folder options. And, on the server end, playlist/folder options can be created.

But many/most of the "built-in" playlists/folder options do not appear on the LG Smart Share client (the TV screen) as menu selections.

Using Mezzmo and selecting it as "Linked Device" I can see all of the "built-in" playlists/folder options as well as those I create on the Mezzmo server. They are presented on screen as "PC" type folders with a generic folder icon - no metadata artwork, i.e. no album cover for a folder containing a CD's songtracks.

Has anyone been able to modify/add to the 2013 LG Smart Share client app menus with ANY server app?

If it is not possible I can stop beating my head against a wall.

I have searched the web and have not found any evidence that it positively can or cannot be done.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad Dib View Post

Has anyone been able to modify/add to the 2013 LG Smart Share client app menus with ANY server app?

Well, to answer my own question and save some others the time.... the LG 2013 Smart TV's DLNA Client app is stupid.

I worked with Mezzmo Technical Support setting up test cases with logging on and sending the Mezzmo log files to them for analysis. After a few rounds of this their conclusion is:

From Mezzmo Tech Support:

"Hi XXXXXX,

Thanks for the logs & photo.

The logs show that your TV is completely ignoring the folder/playlist artwork that Mezzmo delivers to your TV. Under Music mode, your TV is displaying the artwork from the files as the album artwork, so that's why you see album artwork.

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about this. It is a limitation in the firmware on your TV. You could try asking LG customer support to fix this and they may improve this with a firmware update in the future.

If you do find that another media server displays artwork for folders/playlists on your TV, then please do let us know and we will add this tweak into Mezzmo as well.

Best regards

XXXXX"

As an FYI my reply to Mezzmo was:

"Thank you and extend my thanks to your associates for confirming that that is the case.

I apologize for taking up your time but having the answer may avoid any future confusion on the part of others.

In my searching I discovered that some 2011-2012 LG TV Models came with "Medialink" pre-installed. Medialink is a Plex client for LG TVs that offered a very nice feature set. LG removed it from the 2013 model TVs. That has made a number of people unhappy and there is some customer/marketing pressure to bring it back.
There is rumor that a Plex client for 2013 LG TVs is being developed and will be for sale in the LG Smart Share Apps Store. Time will tell.

If you are curious you can check http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/71256-someone-write-a-lg-plex-app/page-1

For what it is worth please let your marketing people know that I am one who would gladly pay for a Mezzmo Client App for LG 2013 Smart TVs if it were available. Something more polished and comprehensive than what LG is delivering.

Thank you for your excellent help."

Fortunately the Mezzmo configured playlist/folders do show up in the TV's DLNA client when it is accessed as a "Linked Device". There is just no artwork at the folder/playlist level, only generic "PC Style" folder icons. I like Mezzmo's server-side GUI better than WMP or Nero's and will keep it until a more polished alternative is available.

If anyone has other info feel free to comment!
post #3 of 8 Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

And the LG response:

"Thank you for contacting LG Electronics.

I absolutely understand your concern, and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced however there is no way to modify or create the playlist or folders via DLNA. Regretfully we haven't received any communication about a future update that will allow this Tv to have an upgrade for the DLNA feature. However if you like I could fill a request in your name to let our factory know that valued customers like you would like to have this feature, so they can take it in consideration for future updates.
Please let me know your phone number if you would like to file the request."

So there is at least one request submitted to the "factory".
post #4 of 8 Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Liked: 10

Hi,

This does sound familiar, this is what I sent to LG.

Hi,
Please assist, I have been having problems with trying to play media (Music) to the TV via Plex Media server Version 0.9.8.6. I have eliminated that the Plex server and is not the problem as the media files can be displayed on our other TV 47LM620T.

Problem description - SmartShare selected - Linked Devices - Plex Media Server (Selected) - (Browse to folder, Music select any of the folders) - All Artists - select folder (The Beetles) - There are no tracks visible to play? If I do the same with the other TV (47LM620T) all tracks are visible and play fine?

Also can not play tracks form Iphone 4S TV displays message File Type Not supported - but plays fine on the other TV (47LM62

55la790w-ZA
Software version: 04.00.16 
SDK Version: 03.03
BrowserVersion: V6.00.00.9f99af.2849
ESN: LGTV13CLGE000099726

Language: English
Region: UK
Using WiFi

Also can not play tracks form Iphone 4S TV displays message File Type Not supported - but plays fine on the other TV (47LM620T)?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-12-2013, 12:41 PM

Same problem!

This is what I sent to LG  customer support.

Hi,
Please assist, I have been having problems with trying to play media (Music) to the TV via Plex Media server Version 0.9.8.6. I have eliminated that the Plex server and is not the problem as the media files can be displayed on our other TV 47LM620T.

Problem description - SmartShare selected - Linked Devices - Plex Media Server (Selected) - (Brows to folder, Music select any of the folders) - All Artists - select folder (The Beetles) - There are no tracks visible to play? If I do the same with the other TV (47LM620T) all tracks are visible and play fine?

Also can not play tracks form Iphone 4S TV displays message File Type Not supported - but plays fine on the other TV (47LM62

55la790w-ZA
Software version: 04.00.16 
SDK Version: 03.03
BrowserVersion: V6.00.00.9f99af.2849
ESN: LGTV13CLGE000099726

Language: English
Region: UK
Using WiFi

Also can not play tracks form Iphone 4S TV displays message File Type Not supported - but plays fine on the other TV (47LM620T)?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm trying SmartShare for first time. I get this message trying to play .m4v and .wtv files:

This file type is not supported
Do you want to play the next file?

Is a LG Cloud account required? My LG SP520 Media Streaming box plays .wtv files. Thanks.

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Hello dear,

Try Wild Media Server, it the most and easiest DLNA server I used and supports subtitle that suits my requirement.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 PM

Hey Guys,

I come from a different "techie" type background. I.T. Geek (not Media Geek). Thus how I landed here.
Only 2-Requirements I had were
1-Free "Option"
2-Transcode on the fly.

(naturally LG Support). --- This supports about any "Platform" you'd care to watch on (all Smart TV's, Ipad, etc.etc.)

See: http://www.universalmediaserver.com/about/ (right page "Device Support")

****PLEX*****SOLUTION!!!!  :-) Keep Reading.

Universal Media Server

I'm downloading/setting up as I type this.

Universal Media Server (comparison chart with other Media Servers).
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/comparison/

MY "SELL" FEATURE (the server "is free and always will remain free").
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/plugins/

The Plugins for the server are
GoogleMusic plugin
GrooveShark plugin
MovieInfo from IMDB, etc. (what "etc" means after IMDB--about to find out).  

Download: "Major Geeks" download
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/universal_media_server.html
(if you don't know it--well trusted site for Freeware/shareware/et.al
----if you do find this is a fit--might want to get the "Major Geeks Install Monitor"---will notify you if there is a Update (down to beta) for the Universal Media Serever    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/majorgeeks_software_updater.html

Reason this is a "solution" in my mind. Whatever library you have now. It will trans-code whatever is needed for your device (ex-LG TV).

At least this is the premise..*grin*

To watch the Media on your TV--just just use a Compliant front end App (EX---****PLEX*****SOLUTION!!!!   *grin*
(how I ended here---that key word).

Thus you can still use your Plex "Interface"-----

PS---if you don't want to tie up your PC (or have something exclusive). you can use the "Rasperberry Pi"

I have not checked it out yet, but it's it's OWN PC (that uses a USB Port).
http://www.raspbmc.com/

Raspberry Pi, it's a $35 computer with a 700MHz processor, 2 USB ports, Ethernet, HDMI, analog video and audio out. You power it with a USB adapter. It's a pretty powerful machine at a low cost and it sips electricity.

Uses XBMC---"Open Source Media Standards"

This suggests PS3 Media Server or TVersity----Universal Media Server *IS* based on the PS3 Media Server...so it's a PS3 100% alternative.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
62 Lg Smart Tv

User Tag List