Costco Samsung Model #'s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From everything I can tell the UN40F6300AF and UN40F6350AF (Costco) is the same TV.

Does anyone know if there was ever a time were they are different in someway? The UN40F6300AF is the more common model name everyone carries, I am afraid if I get the UN40F6350AF (Costco) if there could be a chance a firmware version released for the 6300 may not work on it in the future or they may be slower to roll it out for the 6350. Has this ever been the case in the past with other Samsung Models and Costco?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I shot an email to Samsung support a few months ago and was told the 6300 and 6350 were the same. The 6350 is store-specific.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Places like Costco have store-specific models produced around this time of year to pull in the folks who are tempted for the Black Friday "deals". The model numbers are slightly different so that you can't price match (it's not exactly the same model if the model number is different) and the tv's may have slightly different specs or lack of specs that their more common counterpart has. It's also difficult at times to find a complete spec sheet on these "store specific" models or even find them on the mfr's website. Again, so the consumer can't line itemize the specs and note the differences. Perfectly legal and not uncommon among any of the major tv mfrs. Unless I can actually see the specs to compare, I won't believe anything that support tells me, probably because they don't know for sure. Usually these tv's are stripped down versions, hence the good prices.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Samsung would (and probably have to) say they are the same. But... are they "identical"? wink.gif

Probably not. If they were, they wouldn't be designated with a "store specific" model number.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Many times the model number is changed so that other retailers can't price match because the manufacturer gives the retailer special pricing.on bulk purchases. Are they identical? Probably the only way to know is if there is a parts manual and both sets share identical part numbers.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

And again, that makes it very difficult for the savvy shopper to compare specs to see if they really are getting a deal, especially if the specs aren't readily or easily available. Are they identical as their "parent" model, probably not. Bulk pricing aside, they are just selling a lesser version hoping that the consumer won't notice. Otherwise, the complete specs would be available on their website like any other current model.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

And again, that makes it very difficult for the savvy shopper to compare specs to see if they really are getting a deal, especially if the specs aren't readily or easily available. Are they identical as their "parent" model, probably not. Bulk pricing aside, they are just selling a lesser version hoping that the consumer won't notice. Otherwise, the complete specs would be available on their website like any other current model.

That's not necessarily true either, they could not list the specs purposely. If everyone knew they were identical models where do think most people are going to purchase it from...Costco. I have been through this discussion before concerning a Mitsubishi DLP model that later when the parts manual was available all the parts were identical.It's a hell of a lot cheaper to change a model number than to manufacture a specific model for just one retailer.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Believe what you want, but this time of year everybody wants your money and will do whatever it takes to get it. Yes, tv mfrs do make stripped down models and cleverly make the model numbers close to their current line of tv's. If you believe otherwise, then you're exactly the type of consumer they are looking for. Most of the the time you can't find the exact model on the mfrs website. Why is that?
post #9 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Believe what you want, but this time of year everybody wants your money and will do whatever it takes to get it. Yes, tv mfrs do make stripped down models and cleverly make the model numbers close to their current line of tv's. If you believe otherwise, then you're exactly the type of consumer they are looking for. Most of the the time you can't find the exact model on the mfrs website. Why is that?

First of all I don't believe with truth anything concerning this topic and I'm far from the consumer they are looking for, you'll never see me in a Black Friday line nor have I ever purchased a Black Friday item or an item stated as being the same model with a different model number.I don't firmly believe if it is or isn't the same model, I purchase what I want from where I want and price isn't the deciding factor. The idea of doorbuster items isn't to get you to purchase just that item but rather just to get you to come to their store instead of their competitors. For stores such as Costco their members pay to join so their pricing has to be below other retailers. Retailers don't always set pricing on their merchandise, the vendors do and they don't want that item price matched at a lower cost elsewhere.

I already stated one of my thoughts as to why you can't find info on on these sets.I have also already stated that there's been an instance where 2 models shared the exact same parts. If I'm not mistaken that model was also from Costco. It seems to me you're the type of consumer they're looking for...one who firmly believes in his own mind.that there is a difference and you just paid more for an identical item.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

At least we agree on Black Friday, because you would never find me as well falling for that type of marketing. I guess my point is that if two tv's look identical, with one having its full specs easily available and the other one not so, then I'm going to be suspicious of that tv as to performing as well as the other tv with published specs. And it doesn't make any difference to me whether said tv was "specially made" for a particular vendor or not. The full specs should be available just like any other tv from a given mfr for that release year. Way back when I was looking for a tv, I found one at a decent price but it had a slightly different model number than the one I was interested in. Nowhere on that mfrs' site could you get an specific information on that tv other than the basic marketing stuff, "Full 1080p, 120Hz, etc etc". That made me suspicious so I went ahead and bought my original choice. Months later folks who bought the other one were complaining that it didn't perform as well as what they thought it was and it turned out that it was a stripped down version. Knowing that the tv mfrs play the model number game from time to time i think is good consumer information and helps lead to a more informed choice.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40f6300 40 Inch Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page