Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi all

Haven't shopped around for a TV for over 3 years now since I moved to projector setup.

Thinking of replacing my 720p Panny plasma in the bedroom with a 50"+ LED set. We moved to a newer house 2 years ago so my bedroom is huge and even the 42" looks smallish.

No gaming requirement but budget friendly. Since my primary movie/gaming is still done on the projector, this would be mainly late night TV viewing and Roku streaming.

I went to Bestbuy and checked out the cheaper Vizio/Insginia LED sets and actually was very impressed with the picture and best of all, the price compared to Samsung/Sony, etc.

The BB rep said Insigina uses 'base LG' panels without the extra features/menus but it's still a stripped down LG at a cheaper price. Not sure whether he was just trying to sell me the brand or what.

I also like the slim Vizio but back in the past, I always associated Vizio with the ultra low end generic brands but clearly, the brand has really stepped up their line (think Kia..lol).

What's the general consensus on these brands? Also, for Insigina, is it true that it's basically a stripped down LG? Are both of these in same ranks or one any better than the other?

Cheers!

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I've never owned an Insignia tv but yes, they are mfr, or at the very least, use LG parts. I do know that the Insignia digital converter STBs sold a few years back during the digital switchover were made by LG so the tv's probably are too. Whether the panel is made by LG is doubtful.

I had one Vizio and it was total crap. I wouldn't give a Vizio to my worst enemy, but that's just me.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have three Vizios in the house including the new 70" M Series which replaced a Pioneer Kuro plasma. It's picture quality is outstanding. The other two Vizios I have are smaller units for bedrooms. Both have good picture quality and have been very reliable over the past 3-4 years.
ingramba likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:17 PM

Liked: 10
Insignia is BEST BUY brand TV and made by high quality parts, i have and love. Vizios are breaking fast.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
According to Consumer Reports Vizio is one of the most reliable brands. My 6 year old Vizio plasma is still giving me a very good picture with no problems (and no burn in thus far).
Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
3.5 years so far here on a 47" Vizio Array LED and it's on 10 to 15 hours a day. No flashlighting or bleed. All in all a very nice set. I also use a 26" Vizio as the monitor for my desktop computer.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Insignia LCD-based sets used to use LG parts and IPS panels years ago, but that's (likely) no longer the case...they can come from various suppliers, notable among them Hon Hai Precision (Foxconn) and XOCECO (Prima) depending on the model. They use VA based panels but I'm not sure from which supplier. Insignia products come from many suppliers...when they had plasmas, they were rebadged Samsungs, I've seen their AV receivers made by both Onkyo and Inkel, DVD players from Funai and Desay. Generally good quality stuff without lots of features. Their TVs look pretty decent.

Vizio sets generally have more features and slightly better image quality. E.g. pseudo-local dimming, wi-fi, passive 3D. I personally don't find their picture quality to be that amazing, rather pretty "solid." I've experienced numerous problems with poorly implemented remote sensors on multiple M-Series TVs that call to attention that Vizio may be over-reaching in their attempt to be seen as a first-tier manufacturer. There were also issues with initial runs of E-series sets that have been fixed. afaik all Vizios are manufactured by Amtran who also makes JVC TVs. You get a lot of bang for the buck with Viz but their reliability and warranty service doesn't seem to be on par with the majors, HDGURU even did a piece on this.

When it comes to which I'd personally buy, probably neither, Id take a look at the new 50" Sony 450A which goes for $600 -- if it's anything like the 40" version, it'll offer very good image quality. If you're open to a plasma, then a 50" Panasonic S60 would offer better image quality than either option with better reliability.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
Old 09-14-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I returned a Vizio for my current Samsung, both from Costco. I didn't have a calibration disk at the time, so its possible I could of gotten the picture to my liking. But, I am happier with the Samsung, it ended up being $30 more than the Vizio after it went on sale, but the Vizio is a smart TV this isn't. I don't use the smart TV features anyhow. People at Costco also said they get more Vizio returned than any other, but they might also sell more.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I was looking for the same, basically a non smart LED for the bedroom used with Directv, WDTV and Bluray. Decided I would give the Insignia 50" a try, the screen had a vertical 3" band and cloudiness. The sound was terrible also. I just couldn't get a decent picture out of it. I returned it, decided against a Viszo and bought this 50" for $499:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP5N3BM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got a fantastic picture out of it and the sound isn't bad either but I plan on adding a soundbar regardless.

Insignia is a crapshoot you never know what parts you're actually getting and a Bestbuy employee is probably the last person that would actually know. Bestbuy also gets a lot of Vizio returned for repairs.

Bestbuy also sells the TCL but not in store, they'll piss off the other guys because it carries a 2 year warranty just like Insignia used to.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
TCL gets good reviews at Cnet and television info and here . One of the largest TV makers on the planet . Insignia/Dynex would not be on my short list or any list at all
I had a Dynex LCD (same as Insignia) had to recap the power supply just over 2 yrs not expensive did it myself shop will charge about $250.00 + total crap picture
replaced it with a Toshiba it had the best picture ( in the same size screen better than Samsung ,Vizio,LG, Insignia,etc only thing that was as good that was not plasma was Sony . Samsung was very very close to those two (Sony /Toshiba ) maybe calibrated who knows + in store is not the best place . I have a 2012 Samsung Made 50" Plasma also it has a very good picture and works good seems to be well made .

Did not see TCL at best buy but cnet and television info reviewers say picture is very good

As for Vizio I have never owned one but the ones I looked were OK (2012 models) but just that nothing spectacular + I don't know that Vizio is reliable as say Toshiba ,Sony, Panasonic ,etc but FWIW they do make some decent 2K panels for Sony and others also Sony 4K panel .

Newer Vizio may be fine I can not say for sure . . after the Dynex no more off brand sets for me but I don't think TCL is considered an off brand anymore .
now that their sets are getting over here . They did make RCA sets from maybe ~2005 until 2010 .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Samsung has outsourced parts to TCL and they now own a panel production company together. So Samsung and TCL panels are likely the same.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

According to Consumer Reports Vizio is one of the most reliable brands. My 6 year old Vizio plasma is still giving me a very good picture with no problems (and no burn in thus far).

Consumer Reports does nothing for me. Data can be spun however they want. Too many examples of CR burying the truth or just simply not covering it. Bose is a prime example that comes to mind. I have seen way more Vizios come back defective than any other brand, the number exceeds the sales ratio so it's not simply that more have sold. As for Insignia, they seem to hold their own. I haven't owned one, but I know 3 people who have one and they seem to be solid TV's.
tshrimp likes this.

831 Blu-ray Discs
70 HD DVD Discs
796 DVD's

Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebuzz#836 View Post

Consumer Reports does nothing for me. Data can be spun however they want. Too many examples of CR burying the truth or just simply not covering it. Bose is a prime example that comes to mind. I have seen way more Vizios come back defective than any other brand, the number exceeds the sales ratio so it's not simply that more have sold. As for Insignia, they seem to hold their own. I haven't owned one, but I know 3 people who have one and they seem to be solid TV's.

Completely agree Consumer Reports is a joke, I wouldn't purchase anything based on their testing methods and statistics. I wouldn't say Insignia is total junk but as I said they are a crapshoot.
tshrimp likes this.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

Samsung has outsourced parts to TCL and they now own a panel production company together. So Samsung and TCL panels are likely the same.

Thats right they built a big panel fab plant together (some 4k also I think ?) And I read TCL is making some Samsung sets also I would provide a link but was some months back If I can find it I will post the link .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
Old 09-15-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

Completely agree Consumer Reports is a joke, I wouldn't purchase anything based on their testing methods and statistics. I wouldn't say Insignia is total junk but as I said they are a crapshoot.

CR, CNET, and some of the other review sites have to be taken with a grain of salt. They are a good place to start and get a little educated but I've found sites like AVS are better because you have some very knowledgeable folks posting how their tv's fair in real world use and how customer support treats their customers when issues arise.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I would choose insignia over vizio if I had to choose. Insignia products cut cost by having limited features, but generally have quality parts. Vizio cuts cost by using bottom of the bucket parts, but attracts consumers with attractive style and features. Ive owned insignia tv's in the past and have not had a single problem. Ive also owned vizio and did not have it long enough to encounter problems because it was junk. People that I know that have vizio complain though.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

I would choose insignia over vizio if I had to choose. Insignia products cut cost by having limited features, but generally have quality parts. Vizio cuts cost by using bottom of the bucket parts, but attracts consumers with attractive style and features. Ive owned insignia tv's in the past and have not had a single problem. Ive also owned vizio and did not have it long enough to encounter problems because it was junk. People that I know that have vizio complain though.
I'm sorry but that makes absolutely no sense. Just how did you determine it was junk if you didn't have a problem with it? Who told you? Your brother in law? A Geek Squad behind the counter guy at Best Buy? rolleyes.gif
Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I for sure can't say about the 2013 Vizio doubt they are junk though they have pretty nice looking sets even 2012 model I looked at (only two sets ) and not TOTL models either did not look bad .
Vizio had a remarkably better picture than the Dynex and Insignias neither of which impressed me whatsoever in fact just the opposite cheap controls and poor fitting cabinets also. I thought 2012 Vizio and LG were pretty even .that is to say not bad

The Dynex and Insignia had very poor color saturation washed out color maybe not good contrast or bright enough panel not good picture detail crushed bright whites and blacks compared to more mainstream brands including Vizio . Dynex and Insignia were pushing blue just like the Westinghouse next to them probably a trick to make you think the panel is brighter . FWIHR Vizio will soon be tier 1 brand these are well known publications saying this at the same time giving them good reviews also . Cnet and television info come to mind look it up!

While the 2 Vizio sets may not have had quite as good of a picture as the Sammy, or Toshiba in the store that day it was only a very small difference and you had to be really looking for it rather than watching something ofc that was my purpose there that day when I bought the Toshiba had the Toshiba not been in the mix who knows ? Best buy had the The Samsungs,Vizio and Toshiba together then LG
and then Insignia Westinghouse ,RCA together and Dynex off all by itself. I don't know what that means I can only guess .
they like to sell Insignia so they might not put them next to sets with maybe better pictures so they keep them
in the cheap seats next to Westinghouse .?

Vizio picture could have been because of the store setting ,calibration or lack of, or the feed BB store isn't the best place to look at a set specially when you are running many sets on a distributed feed even the sales staff admitted at least in that store the feed sucked.But the Vizio was competitive picture wise with the tier one mainstream brands

I had a 2009 Dynex I had to re cap the power supply in 2012 I can say the parts inside appeared to be cheap no names on the caps even (ofc it's hard to tell unless you are expert ) but the parts and boards inside main brand sets look better to me anyway .. . The thing never had a good picture worst sound I ever heard from a TV , Probably B or C grade panel from who knows where hopefully 2013 models are better but I don't want one
.I would choose Vizio over Dynex Insignia I would not trust Best Buy to provide quality over cost but more to lower quality ,lower cost business model.

I would not choose Vizio ,LG or especially Dynex/Insignia .
I'm more about Toshiba ,Sony and Sharp for LCD/LED or Samsung and Panasonic for Plasma . Those are brands that I own or have owned they have all been very good for me so I try to stay within those brands .

*UFO * I can not positively say how Vizio is I have never owned one just what I saw in the store and repeat what I have read but just to say they are junk and not tell us why is not telling us much why do you think they are junk?.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:45 AM

Liked: 13
My current living room tv is a Vizio 60" LED.Had Vizio 55" LCD and Vizio 32" plasma (both still in daily use) in the past-no complaints.Have 39" Insignia in guest room-can't complain.Give current Vizio a 9.0 out of 10 and the Insignia a 7 out of 10.I also have 2 Sammy's which are plasma and will not compare to save the usual arguments.To me,Vizio is a tier 1 and Insignia is a tier 3.Good luck on either.

WAP 16.

Tags
Vizio , Insignia Brand