4K = Boo! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 126 Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kenneth Tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Demoed the majority of the available UHD sets, albeit fantastic with native content, handles average with normal. A waste of time for now. Awaiting the arrival of the OLED!
vilfrard likes this.
Kenneth Tong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 126 Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
RockmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Handles avg with normal what? I mean if you sit close to tv 4k is great if you have distance like most should then 1080p is beyond fine but I wouldn't call 4k a waste I call paying the price of admission booo also you never stated which 4k sets you demoed and what size and distance and what content on each
RockmanX is offline  
post #3 of 126 Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
And i hope it wasnt store feeds you were watching. Their water downed feeds can make any tv look bad. My Sony, whether native 4k, upconverted blu ray, or upconverted Fios has been nothing short of amazing!
Gillietalls is online now  
post #4 of 126 Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
RockmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Size gill and shoot out a pic please
RockmanX is offline  
post #5 of 126 Old 09-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

Size gill and shoot out a pic please

I got the 65 inch. You caught me about to leave to go to a fight party. But I will attach a couple cell phone pics first thing n the morning. Sorry don't have a digital camera.
Gillietalls is online now  
post #6 of 126 Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Some shots. Again, this is just from a Samsung S4 phone.



tlwiz1 likes this.
Gillietalls is online now  
post #7 of 126 Old 09-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
RockmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You paid 7k for that gill?
RockmanX is offline  
post #8 of 126 Old 09-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
malcolmp6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The current Sony W900a TV is the best one can get at the price. The picture quality beats anything out there and is definitely comparable to the 4k TVs i have seen in the showrooms.
pg_ice likes this.
malcolmp6 is offline  
post #9 of 126 Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

You paid 7k for that gill?

No. $4900.
Gillietalls is online now  
post #10 of 126 Old 09-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

The current Sony W900a TV is the best one can get at the price. The picture quality beats anything out there and is definitely comparable to the 4k TVs i have seen in the showrooms.

No way. The W900 doesn't even compare to the Samsung F8000. It's clearly the best non 4k LED out right now.
Gillietalls is online now  
post #11 of 126 Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kenneth Tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can't even lie. Bought a 4K TV today, they sold me on the fact that an HTPC can play it on full resolution! Just bought the 84LM9600 today for $12,000 with a $2,000 gift card from an Authorised retailer. To be delivered tomorrow. Excited?! I do not know. Selling point for me is that it will push content well from a HTPC.
Kenneth Tong is offline  
post #12 of 126 Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 PM
 
pg_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

No way. The W900 doesn't even compare to the Samsung F8000. It's clearly the best non 4k LED out right now.

the W900 has the biggest gamut of them.
SRGB gamut is yesterday.
now its Beyond Adobe RGB colorspace with the W900 smile.gif

if you haven't seen DSLR photos with Adobe RGB color profile on the W900 you have missed something.
more colors closer to what we can see.
thats what you want..Boo! wink.gif

so if you are going for a 4K tv
choose the X9
it has the same wide gamut as the W900
pg_ice is offline  
post #13 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Senior Member
 
RockmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tong View Post

Can't even lie. Bought a 4K TV today, they sold me on the fact that an HTPC can play it on full resolution! Just bought the 84LM9600 today for $12,000 with a $2,000 gift card from an Authorised retailer. To be delivered tomorrow. Excited?! I do not know. Selling point for me is that it will push content well from a HTPC.

Ummmm sooooo you clearly overpaid for it and if you were reading you should have waited for hdmi 2.0 lg may update that set doubt it should have waited and its edge lit hmmmm I like the 84" that's about it still no true 4k content and no YouTube videos demos and upscaled movies need not apply should have just bought you a used car for 10k or a sharp 90" for cheaper eek.gif
RockmanX is offline  
post #14 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Member
 
iChristopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Oh boy. Why did I stumble onto this thread.... I'm going to best buy tomorrow to maybe buy the X9. It's now a "maybe" smh.

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
iChristopher is offline  
post #15 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ice Cold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
4K OLED HDMI 2.0 120hz 3D + 4 Year Warranty Somone wake me up when this gets released in the next 1 or 2 years Till then My new Vizio M Series will hold me over
Ice Cold is offline  
post #16 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kenneth Tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

Ummmm sooooo you clearly overpaid for it and if you were reading you should have waited for hdmi 2.0 lg may update that set doubt it should have waited and its edge lit hmmmm I like the 84" that's about it still no true 4k content and no YouTube videos demos and upscaled movies need not apply should have just bought you a used car for 10k or a sharp 90" for cheaper eek.gif

I am confused now.
Kenneth Tong is offline  
post #17 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Senior Member
 
RockmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tong View Post

I am confused now.


Ok

1. No true 4k content
2. You overpaid you can get that set in the 9k range if you looked
3. Edge lit tv ummmmm issues
4. Not hdmi 2.0 might as well waited for lgs new 4k set to include this
5. Could have bought another car or even a sharp 90 745 for less and waited
6. Your money do your thang


biggrin.gif
RockmanX is offline  
post #18 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kenneth Tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

Ok

1. No true 4k content
2. You overpaid you can get that set in the 9k range if you looked
3. Edge lit tv ummmmm issues
4. Not hdmi 2.0 might as well waited for lgs new 4k set to include this
5. Could have bought another car or even a sharp 90 745 for less and waited
6. Your money do your thang


biggrin.gif

9K range isn't from authorised dealers... They haven't delivered it yet so can still go set the Samsung 75 8000 range, which the missus prefers anyways. May very well do this...
Kenneth Tong is offline  
post #19 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tong View Post

9K range isn't from authorised dealers... They haven't delivered it yet so can still go set the Samsung 75 8000 range, which the missus prefers anyways. May very well do this...

Don't pay any attention to the 4k nay sayers. Most of them probably just can't afford a 4k TV. These same people who are saying wait, will be the same ones saying wait two to three years from now because there's always something better coming. It's technology and is always evolving. No one will ever be ahead of the curve with TVs. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy.
Gillietalls is online now  
post #20 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kenneth Tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gillietalls, he does have a point though. I have another three hours before they deliver my television and change my mind. My only concern is now that it seems that I can only output 4K resolution from a HTPC up to the resolution, but at 30Hz. Surely this is prohibitive for me watching movies from my HTPC?!
Kenneth Tong is offline  
post #21 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 AM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Remember movies are usually shown at 24Hz. HDMI 1.4a supports 3840x2160 at 24Hz. So, you should be OK for movie transmissions from HTPC to UHD TV now.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#21

However, where are you going to get these UDH/4K movies? The last time I looked the content that was available today was so limited as to be almost non-existant. I've seen a bunch of organizations saying that they will have 4K content, but have yet to see any appear, other than Sony "loaning" a hard-drive based system to customers.
Kenneth Tong likes this.
alk3997 is offline  
post #22 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
wth718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

No way. The W900 doesn't even compare to the Samsung F8000. It's clearly the best non 4k LED out right now.

Really? Based on what exactly? Reviews I've seen put them squarely in competition, with the W getting the PQ edge and the F getting the features and aesthetics.

"Can't compare?" "clearly the best?" Don't know about that.
wth718 is online now  
post #23 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kenneth Tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Remember movies are usually shown at 24Hz. HDMI 1.4a supports 3840x2160 at 24Hz. So, you should be OK for movie transmissions from HTPC to UHD TV now.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#21

However, where are you going to get these UDH/4K movies? The last time I looked the content that was available today was so limited as to be almost non-existant. I've seen a bunch of organizations saying that they will have 4K content, but have yet to see any appear, other than Sony "loaning" a hard-drive based system to customers.

Your answer has put my heart at ease a bit more. I do not know why I am fretting so much. I just bought a Crocodile Leather Jacket in the six figure range. I should not be stressing so much. But I must now go price up a HTPC that I can game at as well - http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Windows-Blog/Quick-Look-PC-Gaming-in-4K-on-Windows-8 - he made me feel better too!
Kenneth Tong is offline  
post #24 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
RockmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Your money again do your thang
RockmanX is offline  
post #25 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The only thing I would be worried about is if LG will upgrade the set via firmware to 2.0...

I am in the same boat and bought a Sammy f9000, it has issues and I am getting a Full refund from Sammy. It takes 3 weeks but when I get the cash back I am thinking of trying the sony 850, panny 600 or the Sharp 70" 4k set when they come out.....then theres also waiting for the 70" LG....so many choices....

And the pics of the 4k sets really do look amazing when sitting around 8-10 feet. My 75"f8000 looks really good but cant match the 4k set biggrin.gif
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #26 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kenneth Tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

The only thing I would be worried about is if LG will upgrade the set via firmware to 2.0...

I am in the same boat and bought a Sammy f9000, it has issues and I am getting a Full refund from Sammy. It takes 3 weeks but when I get the cash back I am thinking of trying the sony 850, panny 600 or the Sharp 70" 4k set when they come out.....then theres also waiting for the 70" LG....so many choices....

And the pics of the 4k sets really do look amazing when sitting around 8-10 feet. My 75"f8000 looks really good but cant match the 4k set biggrin.gif

I could wait forever but I just got a new property and need it furnished, haven't had a Television in here for two months already! Delivery coming any minute now, I look forward to it!
Kenneth Tong is offline  
post #27 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tong View Post

I could wait forever but I just got a new property and need it furnished, haven't had a Television in here for two months already! Delivery coming any minute now, I look forward to it!

Stay excited! it was one of the sets I thought about when I went shopping. I am sure you will love it and the size is a great thing!!! Also 4K content will be available to download from the ps4 if you are getting that, which comes out in NOV smile.gif So we wont have to wait too long before we are streaming movies in 4K:p

Post some pics when you get it set up!!!!
Kenneth Tong likes this.
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #28 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
And if your going to get the Samsung note 3 we can take 4k videos and watch them on our tvs smile.gif
Kenneth Tong likes this.
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #29 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kenneth Tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

Stay excited! it was one of the sets I thought about when I went shopping. I am sure you will love it and the size is a great thing!!! Also 4K content will be available to download from the ps4 if you are getting that, which comes out in NOV smile.gif So we wont have to wait too long before we are streaming movies in 4K:p

Post some pics when you get it set up!!!!

Thanking you again for your support; 58 minutes to go before they are late!
RobDec and MERKEY99 like this.
Kenneth Tong is offline  
post #30 of 126 Old 09-16-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kenneth Tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The television has landed.
Kenneth Tong is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off