LG 65LA9650 any thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Before the end of the year I plan on purchasing a new television, my Samsung 61" DLP is on it's last leg. I've been looking hard at the Vizio 80" M series, but then ran across this TV. I'm just curious to see which way u guys would go. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

http://m.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65LA9650-led-tv this is the link to the set if you haven't seen it yet.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-20-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 12
I have been unable to see this set locally. I'd like to know if anyone has been able to view this. I like the fact this has passive 3d. I'm wondering if its nice as the Samsung or Sony panel. Though I'm not sure lg has addressed the 2.0 HDMI upgrade issue?
post #4 of 31 Old 10-20-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

I have been unable to see this set locally. I'd like to know if anyone has been able to view this. I like the fact this has passive 3d. I'm wondering if its nice as the Samsung or Sony panel. Though I'm not sure lg has addressed the 2.0 HDMI upgrade issue?
No they are still yet to make a statement on the 2.0 issue, even though all of there competitors have. Maybe for CES there will be announcements on the latest, but we will have to wait till January to find out I guess.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-21-2013, 11:13 AM

I thought the 9700 was a decent looking panel. But given there lack of taking a position. I'm taking them off my list.
post #6 of 31 Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

I thought the 9700 was a decent looking panel. But given there lack of taking a position. I'm taking them off my list.
Ya it's never good when a company doesn't step up and make a decision and leave there customers in the dark. One of the main reasons I was interested in this set is for the passive vs active 3D if it wasn't for most of the other companies going with active I'd stick with my Samsung tvs.
post #7 of 31 Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDDUFRENE View Post

Ya it's never good when a company doesn't step up and make a decision and leave there customers in the dark. One of the main reasons I was interested in this set is for the passive vs active 3D if it wasn't for most of the other companies going with active I'd stick with my Samsung tvs.

The 3d was the same reason I was looking at these sets. Good panel with passive and no elephant ears speaker like the Sony 900. But alas 2.0 ignored by LG. So I'm out.
post #8 of 31 Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Im holding off till CES in January, and see what new announcement are made. I believe at the beginning of 2014 Vizio is also coming out with A line of 4k tvs.
post #9 of 31 Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 70
This looks like the only thread ever started relative to the LA9650, the edge lit stepchild of the LA9700. Nearly everyone has ignored this model, initially I thought probably for good reason. It should have terrible black levels due to it's edge lit IPS panel and both the 9650 and 9700 have questionable upgradeability for 4K streaming (ala Netflix) - 5/5/2014 note LG sources are indicating a September 2014 hardware upgrade will be available. Through some oddball circumstances a 65LA9650 is being delivered to my house this afternoon. If I like it, I'll create an owner's thread. If I don't, I'll put it out of its misery here.

5/5/2014. I generally like it and think the 9700's FALD is not good enough to warrant the extra expense.
PDDUFRENE likes this.
post #10 of 31 Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

This looks like the only thread ever started relative to the LA9650, the edge lit stepchild of the LA9700. Nearly everyone has ignored this model, probably for good reason. It should have terrible black levels due to it's edge lit IPS panel and both the 9650 and 9700 have questionable upgradeability for 4K streaming (ala Netflix). Through some oddball circumstances a 65LA9650 is being delivered to my house this afternoon. If I like it, I'll create an owner's thread. If I don't, I'll put it out of its misery here.
Awesome, I'm curious to hear your thoughts. My Samsung is unfortunately still alive, so I haven't made a move yet.
post #11 of 31 Old 04-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Saw the 55 version of this tv today at Fry's and thought it looked great. Surprised to hear that this is edge lit and not full array backlighting.

post #12 of 31 Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, Fry's delivered the 65LA9650 at about 5:30PM. Nice guys. Unboxed and assembled and hooked up the TV. I didn't get as far as I wanted (full calibration), but did some tweaking of settings at least for contrast, brightness, color, tint and processing settings.

This is a mother of a complicated set. The settings layout is a bit screwy and hard to manipulate with the screwy Magic Remote but I'm getting used to it. There are some settings that are not explained at all and I can't say they did anything. "Super Resolution" was one.

None of the picture modes looked right to me. Color temps way off. Skin looks yellow in most settings and without doing a full calibration, nothing looks right EXCEPT 4K. 4K is stunning, but I tired quickly of those small clips. 1080P from my Onkyo receiver looks lifeless, washed out and blurry. Avatar BluRay seemed very sharp but again rather bland and lifeless. Not much "pop", although I think a bit more than the Sharp 70SQ (quasi-4K) I spent a long time with at Fry's. I believe the underlying cause is POOR CONTRAST. I don't see how this can be calibrated out. Th edge lighting and rather useless local dimming are the not helping at all. I have some moderate flashlighting along the upper edge, clouding, and high black levels. The dimming is done vertically, so a light object on black background results in a column of light from bottom to top.

Poor contrast is inherent in this IPS panel. I believe the 9700 shares the same panel but FALD partially saves the day. Still the static contrast of these models is about the same. So, I think the 9700 will suffer from the same lack of pop. Local dimming can only do so much with an IPS panel. LG has a history of poor results with local dimming implementation.

I want to like this set. It has a lot of nice features. I'll give it the college try over the next week or two. I'm a little puzzled by the lack of pop even though low contrast would seem to explain it, since 4K looks so good. Initially I thought that was because most 4K material is amped up bright scenes. But not all are. So, I need to look at this some more. It is possible to improve the black levels with reduced backlight level but contrast setting as well as brightness has a dramatic effect. I've never seen contrast blow up the black level like this. Maybe I haven't had an IPS panel before. Also, to not crush blacks, brightness has to be set rather high, which further raises the black level.

Not a great start, but we'll see how the experiment winds up.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM

Picked up my 65LA9650 from HH Gregg yesterday ($3499), hooked it up to my DirecTV HR34-700 (Genie) and sat down to watch the Masters. Great pic compared to my old DLP (60"). Scrolled thru the stock settings (Vivid, Standard, etc.) and finally ended up using the Picture Wizard to set Expert 1. This setting ended up being a little washed out so went back to Standard. The only problem with Standard was STREAKING (vertical shadow "bars") when the picture background was of the sky (when the ball was in flight) or on a consistently green (fairway) background. Turned down the backlighting and that helped alot.

Still playing with the settings - good god there's so many - to try and get the set adjusted.

Overall pleased but tweaking to do - that's half the fun. Hope I can get it right
post #14 of 31 Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

FamilyMan: You and I will be tweaking our 65LA9650s together. I want to like this TV, but I'm somewhat pessimistic after my first night with it. The contrast seems very low, black levels very high and backlight uniformity uneven. My 2013 Vizio E701i-A3 (returned) and 2011 LN46D630 Samsung had far better PQ primarily, I think, because they were not IPS.

Oh, and I found 3D and 2D to 3D to be surprisingly nice. That's not news, but it was my first experience with 3D TV and over all I was impressed. Hardly any change in basic PQ and very comfortable with the passive technology.
post #15 of 31 Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 PM

Hey Bill,

I share your pessimism although I really want to like this TV. I'm a golf fanatic not a hardcore calibrator so as long as I can see the ball in the air and hit the green I'm good. This sounds trivial but on my old TV (Sony DLP) it took me seconds to pick up the ball once in hit the green. My point being the contrast is so much better in comparison to my old set that I'm very pleased. However, I can not deal with a blatant "error" like banding. After researching this IPS display all afternoon I found common complaints about Banding, DSE and flashlighting. Haven't seen the last 2 problems but as I noted in my previous post there are distinct vertical bands when the camera is panning against a solid background (in my case the ball in flight against the sky or the fairway). This might be an inherent problem with the IPS display?

I stay up on the 9700 thread and the main discussion there deals with calibration which I believe would help both of us. There is no banding complaint so our edge lit displays are cheaper but...

My next step is to call out an LG tech and see if they will acknowledge the problem. I'm also going to see if I can find a 9700 to check out.
post #16 of 31 Old 04-13-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

FamilyMan:

LATE NOTE: EVERYTHING BELOW PROVED TO BE MATERIAL OR BAD CALIBRATION DUE TO MY OLD METER. NEW METER FOR CALIBRATION ELIMINATED DEFECTS THAT WERE NOT IN SOURCE MATERIAL.

Did you watch the Masters today on your 9650? I did and it looked AWFUL. I gather other than backlight banding, you were satisfied the other day. What I saw today was disturbing. The grass was a mess of scaling artifacts, kind of a sea of sloppy green moving pixels. When the camera panned there was a heavy overlay of DSE over the grass and often in the sky. The golfers themselves looked sharp, but the grass was a mottled mess. My previous el cheapo Vizio E701i-A3 (returned due to some white spots developing on the screen - a too common issue with that TV) did a nice job with grass color, detail and motion/panning. Add that to the backlight banding and flashlighting I see with the 9650 and I don't think I can stand to have this TV around much longer. I was planning on doing a thorough review. I tried a full calibration and never got anything resembling a good result. The one reviewer on the Web thought the color was spot on.
[EDIT: Well...it looks like the poor looking grass was probably in the source material. Hard to believe they would do this to the Masters, but I have watched several other golf tournaments since and THE GRASS LOOKED FINE.] Normally I'm pretty careful about jumping to conclusions. I guess no this time. After more experience and a calibration, this TV delivers a good picture. The is some banding for not so good uniformity, but it is faint and only seen on things like ice in ice hockey.]

How was the Masters on your end?

Over all 1080P scaling is atrocious. Sometimes it looks fine, then somebody moves. The motion settings can help some material but the 9650 seems to be emphasizing any small defects in the source, kind of like analog SD scaling in with almost all earlier 1080P TVs. We need to be able to live with 1080P for a long time, and I don't think I can with this TV. So, I have scoured the Web/Youtube for ANY 4K material just so I can tolerate this TV for a while longer, but looking at flowers, landscapes and animals, as nice as it looks is not going to cut it.

On a positive note - 3D is quite good, even as 2D-3D. The Magic remote is pretty cool although it takes a while to learn how to get to things with the limited button. The Smart stuff is very nicely done.

At least some of the color banding I saw yesterday was in the source material. Here are some shots from a 4K London clip. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HTEZkTA11Q

Starting at 7:05 in: Pardon the quality of the photos, but the banding is there

It looks the same (in a 1080P version of the clip) on my old Samsung which never shows banding. So, I now blame the material itself.

But today I had something weird happened on the 9650. I was watching Dateline on my Comcast DVR. I started to notice purple areas on faces. Look at this. Ignore the blurred image.

I had just finished a full calibration. I wasn't real happy with some parts of it, but it seemed OK. On the chance that a setting was doing this I toggled and slid EVERY setting from Backlight through Expert settings (white balance and CMS) and all picture settings. It was there in every picture mode even though I only calibrated Expert 1 ISF. No change. But when I simply reset the Picture settings, it disappeared. Here's another photo, blurry but still showing the purple defect gone. [LATE NOTE: When I saw something similar at a later point I found it to be excessive color saturation in CMS].

Then later on I saw a small, much fainter patch of the same discoloration. Ignore the camera moire pattern. Look right under her eye. It's not horrible, but it should not be there. I see the darker color on my Samsung but the transition is smooth.

Also, I was having trouble with everyone looking jaundiced (yellow/brown) initially on HDMI inputs. That may have been a cable issue, but jaundice is an odd digital artifact. It seems to have cleared. Skin tones are a lot healthier now.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-14-2014, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, well this is disappointing! LG use to have some good tvs, apparently they really feel off with these 4k units. I don't know what im gonna do now? Thank yall for the input and I really hope yall can work out these issues.
post #18 of 31 Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

It's pretty obvious, but I keep hoping otherwise, that we need to let the dust settle on 4K. These early units have real problems with anything but 4K. I've looked at a number of them. It's true there are no perfect TVs but these early sets have issues that are not livable unless all you watch are 4K clips. My plan has been and will now go back to buying a 1080P set I can live with. Maybe there is something wrong with the HDMI board on this set, as nearly all the anomalies only happen via HDMI, although it still has underlying terrible contrast, lousy black levels and uneven backlighting with the IPS panel LG used.
post #19 of 31 Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's pretty obvious, but I keep hoping otherwise, that we need to let the dust settle on 4K. These early units have real problems with anything but 4K. I've looked at a number of them. It's true there are no perfect TVs but these early sets have issues that are not livable unless all you watch are 4K clips. My plan has been and will now go back to buying a 1080P set I can live with. Maybe there is something wrong with the HDMI board on this set, as nearly all the anomalies only happen via HDMI, although it still has underlying terrible contrast, lousy black levels and uneven backlighting with the IPS panel LG used.
I guess I'm gonna go the same route and stick with the 1080 sets until they get the kinks worked out.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I still have the 65LA9650 and have been fiddling with it further to see if I can improve fleshtones. Some of it is clearly source material, just like the color banding I thought I saw. Also, I was comparing fleshtones with my Sammy. I looked at the Sammy settings again, and I can see it had some red push. So, I was used to the pink hue given to fleshtones on the Sammy. And some of the jaundice look on the 9650 was that combined with source material that was skewed to yellow. So, I'll keep it for a while longer at least and continue to try to figure things out.

The issues I am fiddling with:

1. Color....may be not that bad.
2. Flashlighting - over all minor and seems to be changing. I loosened the back panel screw and did some microfiber cloth massaging on the areas that were flashlighting and clouding. I don't want to claim it's made things better, but maybe a little. I may decide the flashlighting and clouding are acceptable, but the 9700 with FALD should be much better.
3. Contrast - this is an IPS panel. Contrast is low. Perhaps the edge lit dimming or dynamic contrast setting (I generally disable the latter) helps some. What I am looking for is good blacks with viewing material. I'll accept some blooming. The panel can get dark enough I think and still have good detail in shadows
4. Scaling to 4K - again, it may be OK after all, at least with 1080P. Very dependent on source material quality.

Although I never had a 3D set before and looked on it as a fad, the passive 3D on this TV is remarkably good, including 2D->3D. I like that. I don't want active 3D, so that has turned me a way from Samsung and most Sony 4K. Funny, before I thought it was irrelevant.

FWIW, the TV tuner is probably the best one in any TV. LG is known for quality OTA digital tuners. I'm in a valley with two 500' ridges between me and the TV tower in San Francisco, 30 miles away. I expected to get NOTHING, but with a Winegard Flatwave Amped indoor antenna ($39 at Costco) taped to a window I get 32 channels! My Samsung gets 20. My former Vizio 15.
post #21 of 31 Old 05-03-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got a new meter (Xrite i1Display Pro). My old meter was way off, so some of the issues I reported were due to poor calibration Here are what I got with HCFR. Over all the set is performing well.

SETTINGS FOR 65LA9650: Revised 5/5/2014. I originally used one profile, changing the backlight manually depending on day vs. night. That's probably just fine, but I metered some subtle changes with backlight low versus high, so I provide two profiles, one for daytime and the other for night. The CMS default is very close except for Blue, the only color with a delta E over 3 (and that just barely). Most of my fiddling was to bring luminance up or to slightly move some of the lower saturation points. They were remarkably good as is.

ISF EXPERT1 FOR DAYTIME
Backlight: 74 provides 60 ftL for a sunlit room. The maximum light output (backlight 100) is 78 ftL (268 cd/m2). This setting is a personal preference.
Contrast: 80. My initial setting was much higher, but on recheck after doing white balance and CMS I found pink discoloration of the high white bars, so high it might never appear, but setting of 80 eliminated all pink tinge. Still I think you could run 85-90 on this TV for higher contrast with little adverse effect. It will not crush whites.
Brightness: 52 (I found this hard to set as for some reason the backlight level pulses (it shouldn't) with flashing bars in the test pattern - I think this is a bug as RESET of picture clears the phenomenon)
HSharpness: 0
VSharpness: 0 - you might be able to throw in some sharpness w/o artifacts.
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Control
Dynamic Contrast: Of f- Note if you decide to use Dynamic Contrast, it crushes blacks. Turn Brightness up to 58 to correct for that.
Super Resolution: Off - I can't detect any change with this setting at any level.
Color Gamut: Standard (BT709 would seem to be the right one, but I see no difference so I left it default Standard)
Edge Enhancement: Off - again I see no effect from this.
Color Filter: Off (this is a test pattern setting)
Gamma: 2.2 tests as 2.1 at 10% white rising gradually to 2.3 at 90% white
White Balance:
- Color Temperature: Warm2 is definitely the closest to 6500 kelvin.
- Method: 2 pt - 20 pt is not needed.
- Pattern: Inner or outer (essentially same result) - the numbers below get delta E far less than 1 over the entire scale. Excellent.
- LOW
-- Red 7
-- Green 0
-- Blue 1
- HIGH
-- Red 9
-- Green 0
-- Blue -10
CMS: Colors are spot on except for blue and magenta and some low luminance. Most delta E are about 1.
Saturation, Tint, Luminance
-- Red: 0,0,2
-- Green 0,0,0
-- Blue 0,-4,0
-- Cyan 0,3,1
-- Magenta 0,-2,1
-- Yellow 0,0,0

ISF EXPERT2 FOR NIGHTTIME
Backlight: Tested at 42. 34 provides 30 ftL for a sunlit room. I usually run 40-50 (brighter). This is a personal preference.
Contrast: 78 - see my comment about this setting in the Expert 1 profile
Brightness: 53 (slightly higher than the daylight setting)
HSharpness: 0
VSharpness: 0

Expert Control
Dynamic Contrast: Off - Note if you decide to use Dynamic Contrast, it crushes blacks. Turn Brightness up to 58 to correct for that.
Super Resolution: Off - I can't detect any change with this setting at any level.
Color Gamut: Standard (BT709 would seem to be the right one, but I see no difference so I left it default Standard)
Edge Enhancement: Off - again I see no effect from this
Color Filter: Off (this is a test pattern setting)
Gamma: 2.2 tests as 2.0 at 10% white rising to 2.3 at 90% white.
White Balance:
- Color Temperature: Warm2 is definitely the closest to 6500 kelvin.
- Method: 2 pt - 20 pt is not needed.
- Pattern: Inner or outer (essentially same result) - the numbers below get delta E far less than 1 over the entire scale. Excellent.
- LOW
-- Red 7
-- Green 0
-- Blue 2
- HIGH
-- Red 8
-- Green 0
-- Blue -10
CMS: Colors are spot on except for blue and magenta and some low luminance. Most delta E are about 1.
Saturation, Tint, Luminance
-- Red: 0,0,2
-- Green -2,0,1
-- Blue 1,-13,3 - this huge tint shift barely moves blue but makes some of the saturation points more on target. Delta E is 3.2 before adjustment and 2.6 after.
-- Cyan 1,0,1
-- Magenta -2,-1,4
-- Yellow 0,0,1

=========================================

PICTURE:
NR: Off - I don't see the need.
MPEG NR: Off - I don't see the need.
Black level: Low
Local Dimming: Medium - I use OFF during calibration. When OFF the contrast measures about 1,600:1 (ANSI measures 1,100:1), what you would expect for a typical IPS panel. With dimming set on MEDIUM or HIGH the contrast measure about 10,000:1. This is edge dimming which creates a vertical band, but I still leave it on medium.
Tru Motion: Smooth. Off for testing. Smooth does a great job eliminating blurring, with Soap Opera clarity. Turn it off if you don't like it or try a user setting.

With these settings the 9650 looks awfully good. Despite my initial poor reaction, which may have been (and clearly was in some cases) source material related, the 9650 has won me over. Yes, I have some mild flashlighting and clouding and I do see bands on things like hockey ice, but these are quite minor. With tuning, the set has good blacks and contrast (numbers later). I leave dimming on Medium. Of course, it's not local dimming but is in vertical strips, but I rarely see any adverse effects. Blacks are never murky. Detail in shadows is very good.

AND NOTE: The above backlight defects are generally considered part of being edge lit. HOWEVER, I have viewed an LA9700 which is FALD and I saw the same banding on white backgrounds.

Warm2 takes some getting used to. It doesn't provide the stark bright white of most default settings, but it is 6500 kelvin. The set tests as having VERY accurate gray scale and color with only blue being even slightly off.

THINGS I HAVE GROWN FOND OF:
The Magic Remote - It takes a couple of days to figure out how to get it to do everything, but it is over all remarkably well done. It is actually quite effective and quick at controlling my Comcast DVR over the network.
The Smart apps: Netflix is well done, very close to the PC version. Youtube lacks only being able to alter settings for subscriptions.
Linked devices: The only thing you need to do for good streaming from net work storage is a server app (I use Mezzmo) that will transcode incompatible files if needed. Even its "LG TV 2013" profile is not complete, but pretty close.
4K playback - only USB at the moment, but superb.
3D - remarkably good. Thank the lord it's passive.
This is a BRIGHT TV with good dark room performance as well. OK, not plasma level, but good despite some reviews saying otherwise.
Motion handling on SMOOTH is very good. It may give some SOE but I'm happy with smooth.
PDDUFRENE and RzaDaRazor like this.
post #22 of 31 Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Liked: 22
Regarding the 4K playback thru USB, did the LG TV play 4k files that were mp4, m2ts,TS or does it only play the QFHD files like the Sony, Samsung, etc

the other brands have done a horrible job with the built in media players

the LG 1080 Plasma that I got has an awesome media player; it plays every video file that I put in
post #23 of 31 Old 05-20-2014, 12:04 PM

Liked: 11

Bill, thank you so much for listing your calibrated settings.  I couldn't help but be disappointed with the set out of the box.  Everything is so bright and outdoor sunlight scenes were almost unbearable to watch because they were so bright.  I'm going to try your calibrated settings once I get home.  My old Samsung LCDs have much better picture quality but hopefully after fiddling with these settings, I'll be happy.  I'll respond once I get to try out the settings and let you know what I think.

Bill Ball likes this.
post #24 of 31 Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RzaDaRazor View Post

Bill, thank you so much for listing your calibrated settings.  I couldn't help but be disappointed with the set out of the box.  Everything is so bright and outdoor sunlight scenes were almost unbearable to watch because they were so bright.  I'm going to try your calibrated settings once I get home.  My old Samsung LCDs have much better picture quality but hopefully after fiddling with these settings, I'll be happy.  I'll respond once I get to try out the settings and let you know what I think.
The out of the box settings are almost all goofy. If you just adjust the following you will get a decent picture.

You can modify any of the picture modes so any extreme settings are neutralized to what's below. I use just one of the ISF modes, but I also toned down the other modes as well.

Backlight: daytime 50-95; nighttime: 25-50 (this is personal preference)
Contrast: ~80 (higher may tint high whites)
Brightness: ~52
H/V sharpness: 0
Expert Control: Dynamic contrast off. All other settings default. Under White Balance; Warm 1 or 2. Warm2 is closest to 6500K but may be hard to accept.
Picture Options: All off except Black Level Low, Local Dimming :Medium, Tru Motion:Smooth (eh, you can fiddle with that)
Aspect Ratio: Just scan

The White balance (grayscale) and CMS adjustments are not really needed.

I still find that fleshtones SOMETIMES look off (yellowish, flat, pancake makeup look) despite calibration. I'm not sure why. Could be source, but my old Samsung LCD seems less susceptible to this issue.

When you switch sources, the settings change, so you have to go through everything and you have to recheck after switching inputs/sources.
RzaDaRazor likes this.
post #25 of 31 Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

Regarding the 4K playback thru USB, did the LG TV play 4k files that were mp4, m2ts,TS or does it only play the QFHD files like the Sony, Samsung, etc

the other brands have done a horrible job with the built in media players

the LG 1080 Plasma that I got has an awesome media player; it plays every video file that I put in
Yes, the 9650 plays mp4 and m2ts, not the QFHD [EDIT: In double checking, I see QFHD being defined as 3840x2160, so they should play. Samsung 2013 required 4K files be transcoded into four 1080P quadrant subfiles, and I thought he must be using QFHD to mean that. ] It appears 4K files have to be exactly 3840x2160. There are a few codecs that cause problems with streamed files over my network. I didn't bother to figure out which. I just use Mezzmo server software which transcodes if needed.
post #26 of 31 Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 PM

Liked: 11

I think most of the complaints I have about the whites being too bright might have something to do with the source material but like you said, I didn't have this issue with my Samsungs.  I was watching some HGTV shows (my gf makes me watch them!!!) and they were working outside and the sky was so white and bright, it was washing out everything else on the screen.  I was thinking there was something wrong with this tv because I got an amazing deal on it and I'm hoping that I wasn't scammed.  Anyways, I think the big issue is the Backlight.  Last night, I cranked the backlight down to around 30 and the picture seemed better but not as "vibrant".  Almost all of my tv viewing is running through an Xbox One and that has some of it's own video settings too and those were screwing with my tv settings.  My cable box maxes out at 1080i, some things look better than others but shows that are outdoors were unbearable to watch.  I don't even want to show my friends this tv until I get this sorted out.  I think you said in a previous post that you could see the backlight brightening and dimming on its own when it shouldn't be.  I've noticed this too.  I feel like there is something wrong in the firmware of the tv although I do have the most recent available firmware that auto downloaded when I set it up.  

I'll let you know how it goes after I change these settings.

post #27 of 31 Old 05-20-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm...I can't say I've had that problem. Usually if whites are washing out detail, contrast is too high. It could be the X-box settings are crushing whites. Make sure contrast is no higher than 80, brightness at 52, turn off dynamic contrast.

Cablebox 1080i should display fine.

Really I don't know why your are experiencing this overwhelming brightness if your settings are in the ballparks I gave above.
post #28 of 31 Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Bill Ball, I have had this set for a few months now and I really love it. More and more 4k test material and trailers make the future look very bright but I'm excited to try your calibrations. Its about time this panel got some love! smile.giftongue.gif

Insert witty line from BTTF here:
post #29 of 31 Old 06-05-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:

This looks like the only thread ever started relative to the LA9650, the edge lit stepchild of the LA9700. Nearly everyone has ignored this model, initially I thought probably for good reason. It should have terrible black levels due to it's edge lit IPS panel and both the 9650 and 9700 have questionable upgradeability for 4K streaming (ala Netflix) - 5/5/2014 note LG sources are indicating a September 2014 hardware upgrade will be available. Through some oddball circumstances a 65LA9650 is being delivered to my house this afternoon. If I like it, I'll create an owner's thread. If I don't, I'll put it out of its misery here.

5/5/2014. I generally like it and think the 9700's FALD is not good enough to warrant the extra expense.

Have LG already responded to the hdmi 2.0 issue already and by the way is this tv capable of displaying 4k at 60 frames per second through its usb 3.0 port ?
post #30 of 31 Old 06-05-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

There have been all kinds of responses from various people within LG regarding HDMI 2.0. The 9700 thread has a healthy discussion, although you'll have to search through it:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493360/official-lg-la9700-owners-thread-55la9700-65la9700

and a 9650 owner created a HDMI 2.0 specific thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531898/hdmi-2-0-and-the-lg-la9700-la9650/60#post_24752239

I do not think anyone has found 60Hz 4K files to play over USB. TallCoolOne over on the LA9700 owners thread has done the most experimenting. He did get some HEVC encoded files to play.

And just for the record here, I did create an official 9650 owners thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1530525/official-lg-la9650-owners-thread-55la9650-65la9650:rolleyes:
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 65la9650 65 Inch 1080p 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page