Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 4361 Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Someone earlier requested a bright white on a dark background. Here is a bright white square on a black background. The room was dark other than a blue night light to the left of the TV cabinet. The TV is centered in the picture although the black TV screen and dark wall on the right side blended together.

WhiteSands is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 4361 Old 11-11-2013, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 424
No Post..
WhiteSands is online now  
post #273 of 4361 Old 11-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Member
 
watsonusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took the plunge, should have my 65W850A by the end of the week!!biggrin.gif Woot woot, just in time for the PS4.
(Got a fantabulous deal from an authorized vendor, feel free to pm me for details!)
This will be my first non LG tv (though it is an LG panel correct?) in almost 5 years, I hope it lives up to the hype!!!
watsonusn is offline  
post #274 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Member
 
jetjocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
watsonusn.. Congrats on the 65w, When you have time , How stable is the stand? ( as I have tots around and I do not want to wall mount).
jetjocky is offline  
post #275 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,639
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 411
The Input Lag Database just posted that the W850a has an input lag of 18ms, which is amazing! Great for gaming!!!

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
DaverJ is offline  
post #276 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

The Input Lag Database just posted that the W850a has an input lag of 18ms, which is amazing! Great for gaming!!!

That is about half of what I expected it to be. Nice!

Any other thoughts on this panel? Are the dark corners that noticeable, or is just more pronounced in the pics posted?

Really wanting a TV this year. Right now it's the Vizio M-Series 70", the 65VT60, or this one. Still can't decide.
Radio81 is offline  
post #277 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,639
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Any other thoughts on this panel? Are the dark corners that noticeable, or is just more pronounced in the pics posted?

Really wanting a TV this year. Right now it's the Vizio M-Series 70", the 65VT60, or this one. Still can't decide.

Yeah, I'm still torn. The dark edges are there, and are the only thing keeping me from jumping on this set.

The issue might be somewhat pronounced in still images of the TV, and it's only noticeable on bright solid backgrounds. If I didn't have other sets to compare with, I would have assumed the vignetting was an intentional part of the program.

Between living with this minor issue or having to baby a VT60 and constantly worry about IR and/or burn-in, I dunno what's the lesser of the two. frown.gif

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
DaverJ is offline  
post #278 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Newbie
 
AnthJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Stand seems quite sturdy, not an issue in my opinion though it's a big panel and the manual mentions that it may be a good idea to mount a metal wire from the back of the TV to the wall just in case someone was being rough with it.

AnthJG is offline  
post #279 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Newbie
 
Griegior Orgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbel View Post

Has anyone tested the lag on the 65W850A with the bodnar device?

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

 

18ms, which is spectacular.

Griegior Orgo is offline  
post #280 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Yeah, I'm still torn. The dark edges are there, and are the only thing keeping me from jumping on this set.

The issue might be somewhat pronounced in still images of the TV, and it's only noticeable on bright solid backgrounds. If I didn't have other sets to compare with, I would have assumed the vignetting was an intentional part of the program.

Between living with this minor issue or having to baby a VT60 and constantly worry about IR and/or burn-in, I dunno what's the lesser of the two. frown.gif

I used the ice cloth rub on the sides of the screen the first week I received the set. That was over 3 weeks ago and no visible vignetting that I can see other than on a full white background. Even at that the vignetting is half what it was before I used the cloth. I don't see this as any problem and I much rather have this TV with the bright panel and Triluminos colors.
WhiteSands is online now  
post #281 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Member
 
watsonusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjocky View Post

watsonusn.. Congrats on the 65w, When you have time , How stable is the stand? ( as I have tots around and I do not want to wall mount).

I will be happy to provide my input to you when it arrives. I think a wall mount drilled into support beams would offer far better stabilization & safety versus the stand however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Yeah, I'm still torn. The dark edges are there, and are the only thing keeping me from jumping on this set.

The issue might be somewhat pronounced in still images of the TV, and it's only noticeable on bright solid backgrounds. If I didn't have other sets to compare with, I would have assumed the vignetting was an intentional part of the program.

Between living with this minor issue or having to baby a VT60 and constantly worry about IR and/or burn-in, I dunno what's the lesser of the two. frown.gif

Ive obsessed over this tv at my local frys for at least 6 weeks now. I just dont see any pronounced edge dimming. Im sure I will see it in low light situations once the tv is set up, but I seriously doubt it will kill PQ. All 3 LG panels I have now are edge-lit, & all 3 have clouding & present uneven light, but you dont notice it when you are watching anything or playing games! With 20/15 vision, if its going to bug anyone, it will definitely be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthJG View Post

Stand seems quite sturdy, not an issue in my opinion though it's a big panel and the manual mentions that it may be a good idea to mount a metal wire from the back of the TV to the wall just in case someone was being rough with it.
Lol, pretty much every major piece of furniture comes with the same recommendation. Not a bad idea at all if you plan on using the stand & you have kids, pets, or a clumsy spouse.

Any specific vendor recommendations for a squaretrade warranty? Or just amazon it?
watsonusn is offline  
post #282 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Newbie
 
AnthJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Re: the dark edges, I'm not noticing them much at all.  Just not a part of the TV I'm focusing on when watching a ball game or movie and I don't see them as particularly darker than the rest of the screen, or at least it isn't pushing very far off of the edge, maybe an inch or so.  It may be the price that has to be paid with the edge lit local dimming technology that this TV has.  No flash-lighting issues that I've seen on other LEDs and the black levels and detail within them are really great.  The one issue that I'm having is that there is vertical banding that's noticeable but not horrendous on the fast camera pan against a solid background.  I've seen worse on other LCD/ LED Tvs but it is definitely there.  That's my only complaint on this set and I'm not sure that you can get an LED in this screen size where you won't run into this issue.  I'd like others to go to the MLB channel and watch for replays of baseball games where the ball is thrown across the infield.  During that camera pan against the backdrop of the light colored clay dirt, that is when the banding briefly pops out at you and is most pronounced.  You can go through a whole blue ray where banding may not be noticeable at all but shadowy vertical banding on these quick panned shots is an issue.  Ahzari on this forum I think complained about it and said he was going to get a replacement set.  I'm curious to hear if his replacement is any better on that issue.  I may look into getting the geek squad out and seeing if they'd be willing to do a replacement panel order.  That may help or the replacement may have the same issue.  I can live with it but it is annoying that these high end sets seem to have this issue built into them.  I've seen complaints about the banding issue even on the 4K sets so I'm guessing it may just be par for the course on big LEDs though there may be a difference in degree from one panel to the next.

AnthJG is offline  
post #283 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Ahzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthJG View Post

Re: the dark edges, I'm not noticing them much at all.  Just not a part of the TV I'm focusing on when watching a ball game or movie and I don't see them as particularly darker than the rest of the screen, or at least it isn't pushing very far off of the edge, maybe an inch or so.  It may be the price that has to be paid with the edge lit local dimming technology that this TV has.  No flash-lighting issues that I've seen on other LEDs and the black levels and detail within them are really great.  The one issue that I'm having is that there is vertical banding that's noticeable but not horrendous on the fast camera pan against a solid background.  I've seen worse on other LCD/ LED Tvs but it is definitely there.  That's my only complaint on this set and I'm not sure that you can get an LED in this screen size where you won't run into this issue.  I'd like others to go to the MLB channel and watch for replays of baseball games where the ball is thrown across the infield.  During that camera pan against the backdrop of the light colored clay dirt, that is when the banding briefly pops out at you and is most pronounced.  You can go through a whole blue ray where banding may not be noticeable at all but shadowy vertical banding on these quick panned shots is an issue.  Ahzari on this forum I think complained about it and said he was going to get a replacement set.  I'm curious to hear if his replacement is any better on that issue.  I may look into getting the geek squad out and seeing if they'd be willing to do a replacement panel order.  That may help or the replacement may have the same issue.  I can live with it but it is annoying that these high end sets seem to have this issue built into them.  I've seen complaints about the banding issue even on the 4K sets so I'm guessing it may just be par for the course on big LEDs though there may be a difference in degree from one panel to the next.

Hi I actually forgot to post an update.. the vertical banding still present on my replacement set, with some other uniformity issues - some brighter areas on the left and right corners (like blobs) but not very noticeable with center view (very noticeable off angle). The vertical banding is a little better than my previous set, but its still annoying on certain scenes.

Moreover I just can't get over the fact that this set can't handle fast action scenes well. I was watching skyfall on blu-ray and it was just a mess during the first car chase scene I tried every possible motion flow setting (even turning it off) but the image was chopping up all over the place (happened on both sets - just dont think the 120hz is all that great). Tried despicable me and same problem, there is a scene where a minion is shooting a machine gun out of Gru's airplane and he's vibrating up and down (the image of the minion just turned into a mess of blocks as he was shooting - i have never seen that before on any set) honestly from what I can remember, my 5 year old LN46A750 120hz samsung LCD was performing better at fast action scenes than this (much worse screen uniformity though).. considering losing 10 inches on screen and going to the W900 which has true 240hz.. I know some people here love this set, I think its a step above the Vizio M and Samsung 7100 which I also tried at home - but I'm still not content, felt like after 5 years there should be a much more noticeable improvement in video performance .

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
Ahzari is offline  
post #284 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Using a hand held camera last night I took another picture of my set after pausing the screen. The set had only been on for 15 minutes. I have noticed after a few hours of watching TV, any vignetting seems to go away. The only vignetting I see is maybe a touch on the right side in this picture below. I never really notice it when watching a TV show or a movie.

dbl left click the picture to see it full size.

WhiteSands is online now  
post #285 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Member
 
vermeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I am getting a sony kdl55w900a which I believe is the same as this set, what exactly is vignetting? is that another word for bad uniformity? What is this " ice cloth rub" will it help with the screen and is it dangerous for the screen?

vermeer is offline  
post #286 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,639
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermeer View Post

I am getting a sony kdl55w900a which I believe is the same as this set, what exactly is vignetting? is that another word for bad uniformity?

Vignetting is a photography technique where the edges are dimmer then the rest of the picture. Click here for more info.

So yeah, a solid white screen wouldn't be uniform - the very edges are dimmer than the rest of the screen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
DaverJ is offline  
post #287 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermeer View Post

I am getting a sony kdl55w900a which I believe is the same as this set, what exactly is vignetting? is that another word for bad uniformity? What is this " ice cloth rub" will it help with the screen and is it dangerous for the screen?

Sorry DaverJ, I didn't see your last post. I keep thinking it's 2 am as were usually up all night.

Vignetting is a soft dark look on the sides of the screen. Some say it's as much as a inch into the screen. My set it was about half inch into the screen on both sides. This is usually seen on a full white background screen.

The ice cloth rub can be used on a set that has the triluminos display. You can wet a soft cloth and lay it on something flat in the freezer. (my wife used distilled water) Allow the set to warm up at least 2 hours. Using the cloth rub slowly up and down one side of the screen for a few minutes then repeat on the other side. I allow the cloth to come into the screen about 3 inches. This near eliminated any vignetting I was seeing when I first got the set. I have noticed the longer the TV plays the vignetting seems to go away. The ice cloth rub seems to have just about eliminated the problem. I got lucky and found a all white background advertisement and paused the DVR. This way I could actually see the dark sides go away as I slowly rubbed the cloth.

I don't see any problem with using the ice cloth. I did mine 3 times over three days and that was about 4 weeks ago and now the problem seems gone. It has something to do with a film filter used in the triluminos set that filters the blue LED lights to make them look more like a sunlight (kelvin) as it hits the LED screen. This combination increases the amount of colors you see on the screen. Evidently once the set has heated up the ice flattens the film filter back as it should be. As long as the ice cloth works i'm more than satisfied with this set.
WhiteSands is online now  
post #288 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Newbie
 
AnthJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I'm just not seeing motion blur issues at all.  I've used the smooth setting on sports and have watched a lot of games and the motion looks better and more natural than it did on my 240 Hz Samsung I previously had.  On Blu Ray movies I've watched some fast action scenes with no issues either and that was in the default cinema settings.  I do have a Sony Blu Ray player and it seems to work synergistically with the TV.  Also sprung for the highest level monster cables as I've heard that sometimes blue ray and especially 3D blu ray movies can use the extra band width capability of the higher end cables.

 

One thing that was odd was the level of vertical banding I was seeing when my cable box was mistakenly moved from 1080i output to 720p.  The 720p setting made any issues I saw much more pronounced.

AnthJG is offline  
post #289 of 4361 Old 11-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Ahzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthJG View Post

I'm just not seeing motion blur issues at all.  I've used the smooth setting on sports and have watched a lot of games and the motion looks better and more natural than it did on my 240 Hz Samsung I previously had.  On Blu Ray movies I've watched some fast action scenes with no issues either and that was in the default cinema settings.  I do have a Sony Blu Ray player and it seems to work synergistically with the TV.  Also sprung for the highest level monster cables as I've heard that sometimes blue ray and especially 3D blu ray movies can use the extra band width capability of the higher end cables.

One thing that was odd was the level of vertical banding I was seeing when my cable box was mistakenly moved from 1080i output to 720p.  The 720p setting made any issues I saw much more pronounced.

I'm sure its not the content or the blu-ray player since the player has been tested with the new Vizio M and Samsung 7100.. plus I would expect my 3 month old $1200 Oppo to perform well enough with any set.

Cable wise - I dont think it makes much of a difference but Oppo includes quality cables with their blu-ray players and thats what i'm using. I should note, I am really sensitive to motion blur, so not that I dont believe anyone else isn't having the issue, I just figure most people dont notice this stuff as much as I do. I usually have to do a replay for my gf when I notice something then when its pointed out she notes it too..

Just posting this in case someone else is reading and interested in this set + very sensitive to motion blur - I would look towards a 240hz set, I'm just not impressed with this one.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
Ahzari is offline  
post #290 of 4361 Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Did you try these settings I posted earlier.

Scene Select set to, General.

I only changed these settings on Picture Mode, VIVID and STANDARD.

Smooth Gradation, OFF

Motion Flow, OFF (updated Jan 1st, 2014)

CineMotion, OFF

This completely cleared up any motion flow problems I was having earlier when watching any sports games.
'
WhiteSands is online now  
post #291 of 4361 Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Newbie
 
cosydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just sent you a PM.

 

Also did you compare this to a Samsung F8000? My final 3 choices are this tv, the XBR 950, or the Samsung.

 

Thanks!

cosydad is offline  
post #292 of 4361 Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Ahzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Did you try these settings I posted earlier.

Scene Select set to, General.

I only changed these settings on Picture Mode, VIVID and STANDARD.

Smooth Gradation, OFF

Motion Flow, SMOOTH

CineMotion, OFF

This completely cleared up any motion flow problems I was having earlier when watching any sports games.

Hey WhiteSands, ill give this a shot and let you know if anything changes. thanks.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
Ahzari is offline  
post #293 of 4361 Old 11-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Newbie
 
robv911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am seriously considering purchasing this display and looking for some opinions on this issue. Due to Mitsubishi getting out of the consumer market and my 09 65" laservue L65-A90 getting white dots meaning DMD chip failure, I am in the market for a new tv. Mitsu is offering me a buyback although far less than the 7k paid back in 09 as they no longer make the DMD chip or can get it. I am used to incredible colors, black blacks and I know active 3d has improved in the last 4 years. I have been following the thread and home to make the purchase soon. Thanks for any help on this.
robv911 is offline  
post #294 of 4361 Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Member
 
jetjocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I too am in the market to bridge the gap to 4k. Any rumors as to a follow on to the W900 in the 65" size, IE a kdl65w900?
jetjocky is offline  
post #295 of 4361 Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Member
 
watsonusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
tv arrived today! Beautimus!
Just became aware that LG's 65LM6200 is priced at 1k now. Going to see if I can snag one & do some comparing.

11/15 Update

KDL65W850A + PS4 + Pacific Rim Blu Ray = PURE UNADULTERATED XXX EYE CANDY!!! eek.gif

Highly recommend that as a demo disc.

Also, just found out the tv comes with 1 year of free Netlix & Hulu, activated via in-tv apps. (has to be a new Hulu account), just in case anyone needed any further convincing as to this sets viability...
watsonusn is offline  
post #296 of 4361 Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Member
 
jetjocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How were the "out of the box" settings? One reason I am leaning to sony over the samsung 8000 series is sony processing takes less tweaking. Good picture quality with out the hassle!
jetjocky is offline  
post #297 of 4361 Old 11-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Member
 
Brettzies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for all the intel guys. I love jet jocky's comment about never getting a sortie off if you obsess about perfection too much. My kdl60nx720 has died and after 8 weeks of failed repair attempts from the warranty company, I may be getting a replacement tv and this is the closet I can find to that one. I really hate shopping for hdtvs because of all the crap involved with the search for PQ and price. Sucks to hear about the vignetting, but I don't know, is it really that distracting when you're watching something or playing a game? Is it noticeable during standard viewing or mostly with solid screens such as ads with full white backgrounds? Guess I'll have to go check one out in person.

I almost prefer not to get another sony, but i love the all the independent setting you can do for pic adjustments for different scenes, game, cinema, standard, etc. and it looks like this tv retains that feature - some models do not have tweakable scenes, you can only change the scene but not it's pic settings.
Brettzies is offline  
post #298 of 4361 Old 11-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Member
 
watsonusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjocky View Post

How were the "out of the box" settings? One reason I am leaning to sony over the samsung 8000 series is sony processing takes less tweaking. Good picture quality with out the hassle!

TV just did a software update & it reset the settings to factory. (I had done some toying around, nothing specific). Currently watching "Worlds End", streaming via Xbox Video. It looks fantastic & I havent touched a single setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettzies View Post

Thanks for all the intel guys. I love jet jocky's comment about never getting a sortie off if you obsess about perfection too much. My kdl60nx720 has died and after 8 weeks of failed repair attempts from the warranty company, I may be getting a replacement tv and this is the closet I can find to that one. I really hate shopping for hdtvs because of all the crap involved with the search for PQ and price. Sucks to hear about the vignetting, but I don't know, is it really that distracting when you're watching something or playing a game? Is it noticeable during standard viewing or mostly with solid screens such as ads with full white backgrounds? Guess I'll have to go check one out in person.

I almost prefer not to get another sony, but i love the all the independent setting you can do for pic adjustments for different scenes, game, cinema, standard, etc. and it looks like this tv retains that feature - some models do not have tweakable scenes, you can only change the scene but not it's pic settings.

I dont notice the vignetting at all during gaming or watching tv/movies. Actually looking for it right now during Worlds End, cant see it.
watsonusn is offline  
post #299 of 4361 Old 11-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Member
 
jasjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England, UK
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Could really do with some reviews on this TV.

I am seriously considering returning my Sony 55X9005 for this set. It's a little cheaper, bigger screen and the input lag is awesome for my new X1.

I'm just worried that the PQ and viewing angles won't be quite as good as the X9.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
jasjw is offline  
post #300 of 4361 Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Member
 
loader963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: VA USA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post

Could really do with some reviews on this TV.

I am seriously considering returning my Sony 55X9005 for this set. It's a little cheaper, bigger screen and the input lag is awesome for my new X1.

I'm just worried that the PQ and viewing angles won't be quite as good as the X9.

Amen!!! Can't seem to find this tv anywhere near me. Would feel so much better that if i couldn't see it in person, at least an in depth full review would help ease my decision lol.

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
loader963 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off