Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Can you possibly post a picture of your uniformity problem? With the 70w850b the issue is what I call radial banding. It actually looks like a 3 ring target without a bulls eye. Several pictures are posted on the w850b thread. Perhaps you can take a look and see if it's the same uniformity issue that you are experiencing.

Here's a low rez picture. Couple vertical bands in middle of screen. Slightly darker right edge and a couple dark spots along the top of screen. Haven't posted photos before so I hope this works.

photo.JPG 103k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (102.9 KB, 106 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

ok my son is talking me into buying a new tv. He wants the w850a. I see i can get it from sony for 1999. Should I just buy it from Sony or go down to best buy and buy it?  does it even matter.  If I go across the border to MN and buy it I will pay a higher sales tax.  Free shipping from both.

I am just very shy on pulling the trigger.  But it seems like this is a very good set. I would like to watch movies on it as well as TV shows. My son is all about his xbox and first person shooters as well as other games.

from what I have read seems like this tv does everything. 

I was reading posts about Whitesands and how he has the best options to make the picture look great.

can you send me those settings?  I know nothing about how to set a tv up like that but I am hoping it's not that hard.

I want to pull the trigger today on this 850a tv and just end the maddness about if its the right tv to get or just wait once again till the next batch of TV.  I have driven myself mad over the last 9 months.  I think I would buy the 900a if there were any left.  Seems like that might just be a tad better but 55inch I am guessing isn't as nice as 65in and my son is all about the size apparently.

should I just pull the trigger and by direct from sony?  

also whitesands are those setting that everyone wants from you good for both watching my movies and shows and his games? or do I really need to have two settings.

thanks for the help... as you can guess I am good with duct tape.... not so good without it.

post #3063 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktapeboy View Post

ok my son is talking me into buying a new tv. He wants the w850a. I see i can get it from sony for 1999. Should I just buy it from Sony or go down to best buy and buy it?  does it even matter.  If I go across the border to MN and buy it I will pay a higher sales tax.  Free shipping from both.

I am just very shy on pulling the trigger.  But it seems like this is a very good set. I would like to watch movies on it as well as TV shows. My son is all about his xbox and first person shooters as well as other games.

I was reading posts about Whitesands and how he has the best options to make the picture look great.

can you send me those settings?  I know nothing about how to set a tv up like that but I am hoping it's not that hard.

I want to pull the trigger today on this 850a tv and just end the maddness about if its the right tv to get or just wait once again till the next batch of TV.  I have driven myself mad over the last 9 months.  I think I would buy the 900a if there were any left.  Seems like that might just be a tad better but 55inch I am guessing isn't as nice as 65in and my son is all about the size apparently.

also whitesands are those setting that everyone wants from you good for both watching my movies and shows and his games? or do I really need to have two settings.

thanks for the help... as you can guess I am good with duct tape.... not so good without it.

Purchasing from Best Buy makes more sense. You have 30 days to return it if you are unhappy. They may even pick it up. Don't know what your options are buying directly from Sony. I'm sure you would have to pay return shipping.
post #3064 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Liked: 14
I purchased from SONY Store. If something is wrong they setup a pickup and you do not pay return shipping. You also have 30 days and i believe a better chance of getting a "newer" TV that hasnt potentially been returned, been on the floor, etc... who knows

I used this guy at sony store and I recommend ordering through him
8778657669 ask for peter
post #3065 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w850a View Post

I purchased from SONY Store. If something is wrong they setup a pickup and you do not pay return shipping. You also have 30 days and i believe a better chance of getting a "newer" TV that hasnt potentially been returned, been on the floor, etc... who knows

I used this guy at sony store and I recommend ordering through him
8778657669 ask for peter

Didn't know that. Sounds like the way to go.
post #3066 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM

Liked: 31
Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneguy View Post

I've had my W850 for a week now. I've watched plenty of digital cable shows, network shows, blu ray and a little baseball. I have been using White Sands standard settings for just about all content. Playing with motion flow off and on. Colors are beautiful with backlight set at max. A little less so with the backlight backed off a little. Black levels are outstanding. Adds so much more depth and realism to the viewing experience. Only issue I am having and we've all heard it before, is with some screen uniformity issues or what some people call banding, which I'm not sure is the same thing. But no matter what settings I use, those slight shadows in the background are noticeable when the camera pans left or right with a light colored background. I try to concentrate on what is happening in the foreground rather than the background. I'm hoping I can live with this because I don't know if there's an edge-lit LED TV out there that doesn't exhibit some uniformity issues. I think it's the nature of the beast. I still have a couple more weeks to evaluate the TV in case I decide to either return it or try another. Time is running out on getting these 850's though.
Your post describes my viewing experience EXACTLY. The banding is just something you have to deal with edge lit TV this big. I've come to live with it on mine.
I was running the brightness test last night on the WOW disc. I found out that it passes the test when set at the factory default of 50. One member a couple posts before said he went down to 40 and when I tried this it looked pretty good and was excited because below 45 it eliminates most of the light bleed on the sides of the tv. However this cut out shadow detail so I put it back to 50. Also when I cranked the brightness to 100 on the pluge pattern you could see the bands outlined that show up occasionally on the panning shots I was seeing when watching baseball.
post #3067 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 12:29 PM

Liked: 13
I am the one that lowered the brightness to 40. It turns out, it may have been a panel or hardware defect. Sony has replaced my previous unit. I am running at a higher brightness level now and still have the excellent deep blacks.

Unfortunately, you are correct regarding the panel size. It seems as though the banding, etc. is exaggerated due to the size. My Sony 55HX850 also has it to a degree, but much more difficult to see because the panel is smaller.

I have read posts for Samsung units of the same size and they seem to have the banding issue as well.

The unit I have now seems to have minimal panel issues compared to before. It is a 4/2014 built. I did notice that the panel is less glossy than the one before although the service menu still shows this as the same panel most everyone has.

Enjoy this one as I don't think we will see any non UD+HD TV with such colors, brightness and deep blacks!
post #3068 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

Here's a low rez picture. Couple vertical bands in middle of screen. Slightly darker right edge and a couple dark spots along the top of screen. Haven't posted photos before so I hope this works.

photo.JPG 103k .JPG file

The screen shot you took looks just like my set. I don't judge this set other then with a good HD picture on the screen. If you then see a problem is may be of some concern.
post #3069 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibo View Post

I am the one that lowered the brightness to 40. It turns out, it may have been a panel or hardware defect. Sony has replaced my previous unit. I am running at a higher brightness level now and still have the excellent deep blacks.

Unfortunately, you are correct regarding the panel size. It seems as though the banding, etc. is exaggerated due to the size. My Sony 55HX850 also has it to a degree, but much more difficult to see because the panel is smaller.

I have read posts for Samsung units of the same size and they seem to have the banding issue as well.

The unit I have now seems to have minimal panel issues compared to before. It is a 4/2014 built. I did notice that the panel is less glossy than the one before although the service menu still shows this as the same panel most everyone has.

Enjoy this one as I don't think we will see any non UD+HD TV with such colors, brightness and deep blacks!

I keep my brightness set to 50 which is Sony's default best I can remember. I tried moving the setting up and down slightly and either way it messes up the deep blacks, to dark or to light. I use the backlight level instead.

Your right, this set has killer deep blacks better than any set I have ever seen.

I did have some banding issues on my set only during the fast panning of the camera across the ice rink during Hockey games. The banding went away once I put in Cnets noise filters 'set to off settings' to improve the picture quality. I include those in the settings I send out.

WS
post #3070 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Buying the set from Sony you might get a 2014 build date. A few here lately have bought from Sony and received April build dates. One bought this set from Best Buy and his had a November build date but it played just fine. That don't mean that Best Buy don't stock some of the newer build dates, could be just that one store.
post #3071 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Another screen shot from my TV.

steve1971 likes this.
post #3072 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
WhiteSands,

Could I please get a PM of your settings?
post #3073 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjp View Post

Also forgot to ask if anyone else can take a picture of this screen on their tv and post it just for comparison. Just want to see if mine is average or worse than normal for the backlight on the edge.

Also here's 2 new pics. The 1st you can't even see the backlight, the 2nd you can see it slightly.

Just got this set today.

Mine is about like yours.
ibanezjp likes this.
post #3074 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 01:07 PM

another quick question... I am 95% sure I am going to pull the trigger on the W850 today... but that other 5% is making me think about the samsung pn60f8500 plasma

the w850 is bigger and newer than the plasma. any thoughts?  I know enough not to know anything.  just want my son says and what I read.

any thoughts?

post #3075 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 01:09 PM

I don't know if a later build date makes a difference. Updated firmware maybe? Hardware should be the same. I updated my firmware same day I received the TV. No problem.
post #3076 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

The screen shot you took looks just like my set. I don't judge this set other then with a good HD picture on the screen. If you then see a problem is may be of some concern.

I love the picture on my set. Like I said, the uniformity only comes into play when the camera pans a light background. It's funny, the other night I was in the clubhouse at the golf course my league plays at having a beer. The Yankee game was on the TV. It was a Sony LCD probably a couple years old. Looks like a 46 incher. As the camera panned the outfield I saw the most terrible banding. And yet I had never noticed it before. Weird.
post #3077 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The Samsung F8500 plasma, according to several magazine reviews, provides the best picture available today. They also offer a 64 inch. The VE shootout will include this set and a couple of UHD displays and one OLED. The F8500 is the brightest plasma ever built but it does have a very reflective screen. Now if you're looking for good old bang for the buck, then the 65w850a is for you. Tha Samsung is also Active 3d. Plasma's are heavier and run hotter. If price isn't a concern the choice would be very difficult forr me.
post #3078 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM

I also cross shopped the Samsung F8500 (60") vs. the 65W850. I ended up with the Sony and have been using/testing settings the past few days. I'm very very happy with the picture quality of the Sony. For me I was worried about the "plasma buzzing" that many owner complained about on the Samsung and the reflective screen would've been a no-no in my living room. For $2k the W850A is very hard to beat.

"Just do it."
-Nike
WhiteSands likes this.

Sony 65W850A | Xbox One 

Xbox Live: PremiumNapBear

post #3079 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 PM

well I pulled the trigger on the w850... my son is happy I just hope that I made the right choice.  all this new tech is alittle scary. Going into best buy and seeing all the different TV it almost seems to me that the makers of these tv's are making it harder than it has to be to choose one. I don't know why they have to make so many different flavors of tv's

thanks for the help on making this choice. I am happy I found such a great forum to read.

steve1971 likes this.
post #3080 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 06:59 PM

Hi Whitesands, some amazing shots

If possible, could you send me your settings also :)

WhiteSands likes this.
post #3081 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

another quick question... I am 95% sure I am going to pull the trigger on the W850 today... but that other 5% is making me think about the samsung pn60f8500 plasma

the w850 is bigger and newer than the plasma. any thoughts?  I know enough not to know anything.  just want my son says and what I read.

any thoughts?

If I were you I wouldn't think of a plasma set. They still have burn in issues and are energy hogs. The sets are also heavy to move around. LG, Panasonic and Samsung are stopping making their plasma sets and will then concentrate on their LED sets.
post #3082 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know if a later build date makes a difference. Updated firmware maybe? Hardware should be the same. I updated my firmware same day I received the TV. No problem.

It's a good idea to wifi your new set to your router. If that don't work like mine to to my house having lots of other wifi devices. I went ahead and bought a 25 foot Cat-5 cable mfg by ANN at a low price from Walmart. With it now wired it works great.

I did get a update each month starting back in last October up to this last update in April.
post #3083 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Screen shot from my W850a set.

post #3084 of 4407 Old 05-15-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

If I were you I wouldn't think of a plasma set. They still have burn in issues and are energy hogs. The sets are also heavy to move around. LG, Panasonic and Samsung are stopping making their plasma sets and will then concentrate on their LED sets.
First time I've kind of disagreed with you. Panasonic has stopped manufacturing plasma TV's. Even though I expect LG and Sammy to follow suit in the near future they may surprise us. As you mentioned earlier, the w850a may end up being the best non 4K set that Sony ever produces. There is no guarantee that any new Sony, like the 850b or the 950b, will be a better TV just because they are a new model. While Sammy may dump plasma for financial reasons and concentrate on LCD the F8500 will almost certtainly be the best non 4K display they ever produce. As I mentioned earlier, several reviewers (CNET, Sound&Vision Magazine, Home Theater Magazine) all claimed that the F8500 had the best PQ they have ever seen beyond the Panasonic ZT-60 series. Even better than the Elite from Sharp. Even better than the venerable KURO from Pioneer. The plasma technology by its nature does use more electricity than LCD's but I would hardly call them energy hogs. Maybe an extra $25 a year for heavy use. They are heavy but how many times does the average person lift and move a 65 inch TV? They also put off a bit of heat. Burn-in on a Panasonic is sometimes observed but usually in the Image retention category (IR will fade away) but no BI on the late model Sammys. There is no doubt in my mind that Panasonic, Sammy and LG are not abandoning plasma because it's an inferior product, just not a profitable as LCD, which is why Sony themselves stopped manufacturing plasma's.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3085 of 4407 Old 05-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As I mentioned earlier, several reviewers (CNET, Sound&Vision Magazine, Home Theater Magazine) all claimed that the F8500 had the best PQ they have ever seen beyond the Panasonic ZT-60 series. Even better than the Elite from Sharp. Even better than the venerable KURO from Pioneer. The plasma technology by its nature does use more electricity than LCD's but I would hardly call them energy hogs. Maybe an extra $25 a year for heavy use. They are heavy but how many times does the average person lift and move a 65 inch TV? They also put off a bit of heat. Burn-in on a Panasonic is sometimes observed but usually in the Image retention category (IR will fade away) but no BI on the late model Sammys. There is no doubt in my mind that Panasonic, Sammy and LG are not abandoning plasma because it's an inferior product, just not a profitable as LCD, which is why Sony themselves stopped manufacturing plasma's.

I agree with you that the Samsung F8500 is the best of the plasma's although I would rather have the ZT-60 set. I had actually saved up to buy the ZT-60 or ST version set when I first read it was for sale. I had already bought a 55" Panasonic in early 2011 that had a great picture but was not bright enough to really enjoy 3D movies. As far as energy, the plasma I had was rated at $47 on the yellow tag that came with the set. I'm sure the newer ones it's lots less.

My plasma set went out after 2 years use. Panasonic wanted $500 to fix the set using the same exact part number boards that went out in the first place. I decided to park the set and find a good LED big screens set to replace it with. Then I started reading that Sony was coming out with a much anticipated 65 inch screen set in the next few months. The closer to the release date of Sept 4th, the more I heard about the details of what this set included like the set would have brilliant colors due to the sets Triluminos display and etc.

Sorry about my earlier statement about the plasma's. I should not comment when I was tired as I was at the time.
post #3086 of 4407 Old 05-16-2014, 06:38 AM

I can't say THANK YOU enough to WhiteSands for getting back to me with his setting so quickly.This Tv has a good picture, But with his settings it becomes a great picture! He really know his stuff!. Thanks again!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3087 of 4407 Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
To set the record straight, the Samsung 64F8500 plasma costs $28 a year to operate vs. $19 for the W850A. Realistically after calibration the Samsung will probably cost more like $18 a year more than the Sony to operate, but still $1.50 a month more doesn't make the Samsung an energy hog. And as to weight, the Samsung is 1.5 lbs more than the Sony. My 2012 model Panasonic 65ST50 puts out vey little heat and neither of my two plasmas, including a 42S1, has ever suffered from burn-in or image retention. The only real negative for plasmas these days is that it is a dying format. Once the F8500 is done being manufactured (probably the end of this year) the tech will essentially be done.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3088 of 4407 Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

Quote:

First time I've kind of disagreed with you. Panasonic has stopped manufacturing plasma TV's. Even though I expect LG and Sammy to follow suit in the near future they may surprise us. As you mentioned earlier, the w850a may end up being the best non 4K set that Sony ever produces. There is no guarantee that any new Sony, like the 850b or the 950b, will be a better TV just because they are a new model. While Sammy may dump plasma for financial reasons and concentrate on LCD the F8500 will almost certtainly be the best non 4K display they ever produce. As I mentioned earlier, several reviewers (CNET, Sound&Vision Magazine, Home Theater Magazine) all claimed that the F8500 had the best PQ they have ever seen beyond the Panasonic ZT-60 series. Even better than the Elite from Sharp. Even better than the venerable KURO from Pioneer. The plasma technology by its nature does use more electricity than LCD's but I would hardly call them energy hogs. Maybe an extra $25 a year for heavy use. They are heavy but how many times does the average person lift and move a 65 inch TV? They also put off a bit of heat. Burn-in on a Panasonic is sometimes observed but usually in the Image retention category (IR will fade away) but no BI on the late model Sammys. There is no doubt in my mind that Panasonic, Sammy and LG are not abandoning plasma because it's an inferior product, just not a profitable as LCD, which is why Sony themselves stopped manufacturing plasma's.

Hey Andy. Let me get this straight. WS told you that the W850A may end up being the best non-4K set ever made by Sony? Well I never disagree with my friend WS but if he indeed made that comment then I tend to disagree with him for the very first time. In my opinion the W900A is more then likely to be the best non-4K set made by Sony. The only advantage the W850A has over the W900 is the size and that's it, that's where it ends. That being said site's like CNET, Sound&Vision Magazine, Home Theater Magazine ect have always favored Plasma so its no surprise they favor the Samsung F8500 especially Cnet. Those guys are Plasma crazy and to them nothing compares. In my book the 2 best Plasmas ever made are the legendary Kuro and the Panny ZT-60.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3089 of 4407 Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Hey Andy. Let me get this straight. WS told you that the W850A may end up being the best non-4K set ever made by Sony? Well I never disagree with my friend WS but if he indeed made that comment then I tend to disagree with him for the very first time. In my opinion the W900A is more then likely to be the best non-4K set made by Sony. The only advantage the W850A has over the W900 is the size and that's it, that's where it ends. That being said site's like CNET, Sound&Vision Magazine, Home Theater Magazine ect have always favored Plasma so its no surprise they favor the Samsung F8500 especially Cnet. Those guys are Plasma crazy and to them nothing compares. In my book the 2 best Plasmas ever made are the legendary Kuro and the Panny ZT-60.

Best Sony non-4K? I like my XBR8 and HX950.
steve1971 and WhiteSands like this.
post #3090 of 4407 Old 05-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibo View Post

Yeah mine is also an April 14 build. I also get the great blacks with brightness on 50, just wish they're wasn't the occasional light bleed on the sides but it seems everyone's is like that. For what's its worth too you can only see it at night. I've been playing around with moving settings using the calibration disc but I just keep coming back to the default values. The only one I've really changed greatly from the factory settings is reality creation. The latest setting I'm trying is MPEG noise reduction on auto. It seems to help with noise when watching baseball games but I keep turning on and off.
WhiteSands likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page