Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3151 of 4505 Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Newbie
 
Televaiozn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Hello!

I just got this TV the other day and have some questions for other owners.

 

1) I notice some definite minor ghosting when watching 3D movies.  For example it is clearly apparent in Avatar on the subtitles that come up when they are speaking the other language.  You can see it on the picture at various times, too (pretty often if you're looking for it).  I've watched 3D movies on a 73" DLP and never noticed such ghosting there (but did notice other annoyances).  I don't know if I just didn't notice it on that set, or if it actually wasn't there.  I am wondering if it is this normal for this TV, and if there's any way to get rid of it?  It's not terrible, and I'd still rate the 3D as being overall good, but it would certainly be better without the ghosting.

 

2) When I turn the volume all the way down and go close to the TV, I hear a sort of pulsating static sound coming from behind the TV at the lower right hand (when looking from front) corner.  Is that normal?  Does anyone else notice that?  I can't hear it unless I'm close to the TV with the volume down/off, so it's not causing me any problem, I'm more just curious why it is occurring.

 

 

Overall, I like the TV a lot so far.  I will mention that this is the first time that I've ever seen the soap opera effect while watching movies on blu-ray.  None of my prior TVs did motion interpolation.  The motion is very smooth, though.  I haven't tried turning Motionflow off yet, but will probably leave it on anyway for the higher frame rate, and see if I get used to it.
 

Thanks for any help!

WhiteSands likes this.
Televaiozn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3152 of 4505 Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Televaiozn View Post

Hello!
I just got this TV the other day and have some questions for other owners.

Your the first new member that hasn't requested my settings in a good while. I think if you put in my settings these problems would go away.
I will sent them to you anyway.

About the audio sound with the volume turned down. They were some others mentioned this many months ago. I forget now what they found. This could be a slow spinning fan cooling the 2.2 ghz quad processor. The circuit board with the processor is the same as where all the inputs plug into it which would be the lower right side looking at the back of the TV, or left speaker side. I never notice or listen for it, I watch TV with the volume set to where I can hear it.

I use the Cnet's 5-steps for a better picture. I include these in my settings. These settings are to turn off the rarely used 5 noise filters in this set. One of these settings gets rid of the soap opera effect you were seeing.

I have no idea why you would have any problems with ghosting when watching a 3D movie. Others here I don't recall having that problem. In my settings I do set all the 3 main picture-modes, motionflow settings to standard. I found this is the sweet-spot when watching fast paced pro-football games. Some use true-cinema, smooth or motionflow off settings.

A good point is to check your cable box or satellite receiver to make sure it's set to 1080p to match your new TV. You might try another HDMI cable on your 3D player to your TV and see if that helps get rid of the ghosting. I don't know of any 3D settings on the player that would help.

Try my settings and see if that helps.

WS
Televaiozn likes this.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #3153 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Newbie
 
Televaiozn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestGuy View Post
 


That's me in the video.  I posted a thread about it here that got no replies, then found people talking about it over here! :)  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512422/ticking-from-speakers-sony-kdl-65w850a#post_24229404

 

It seems to me that you shouldn't get noise from the speakers even without an input if it's designed well - it should just turn them off in that case.  But regardless, input, no input, it makes no difference.  Even with the TV audio set to use an external system, which should definitely turn the speakers off.  The sound does vary seemingly randomly though, so sometimes you can only hear it if you really mash your ear up against the speaker, and other times it's clearly audible on the other side of a quiet room.

 

I have contacted Sony and they said they were unaware of any problem, but would check with the techs and get back to me next week.  Maybe if the rest of you having the same issue call as well it will increase the priority.  It seems fairly likely that the TV's power supply is throwing off noise that the speakers are picking up, so the real fix would probably involve a design change in the power supply.  Hopefully something as simple as swapping out some filter caps.

 

Does everyone get this sound to some extent if you put your ear right up against the speaker?  Or is it only some of us?  If the latter, I'm going to hang onto the TV and let Sony repair or replace it.  If all models have this though, I may return it to Future Shop while I still can and look for something else.  It's no problem when it's quiet, but the problem is I have no idea how often it's going to be at the more annoying level, and it would drive me crazy during quiet scenes in movies and that kind of thing.  On the other hand, the picture quality is great and I would hate to take this one back only to end up with a poor panel.  Argh why can't everything just work? ;)

 

 

Hi there!

 

I watched your video, and I have noticed the identical "clicking" noise (as you call it--I describe it as a pulsating static sound) with my new same model TV.  Mine was made in Mexico with a manufactured date of April 2014.  I have not connected it to the internet or done any updates yet.  What did you end up doing?  Did you ever find a resolution to it?  I will say that it is rather quiet, and so far I have only noticed it when I'm very close to the TV and have the volume off.  Otherwise I don't notice it.  I'll try checking for firmware updates tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

 

 

Thanks!

WhiteSands likes this.
Televaiozn is offline  
post #3154 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 01:10 AM
Member
 
TempestGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Televaiozn View Post
 

Hello!

I just got this TV the other day and have some questions for other owners.

 

1) I notice some definite minor ghosting when watching 3D movies.  For example it is clearly apparent in Avatar on the subtitles that come up when they are speaking the other language.  You can see it on the picture at various times, too (pretty often if you're looking for it).  I've watched 3D movies on a 73" DLP and never noticed such ghosting there (but did notice other annoyances).  I don't know if I just didn't notice it on that set, or if it actually wasn't there.  I am wondering if it is this normal for this TV, and if there's any way to get rid of it?  It's not terrible, and I'd still rate the 3D as being overall good, but it would certainly be better without the ghosting.

 

2) When I turn the volume all the way down and go close to the TV, I hear a sort of pulsating static sound coming from behind the TV at the lower right hand (when looking from front) corner.  Is that normal?  Does anyone else notice that?  I can't hear it unless I'm close to the TV with the volume down/off, so it's not causing me any problem, I'm more just curious why it is occurring.

 

 

Overall, I like the TV a lot so far.  I will mention that this is the first time that I've ever seen the soap opera effect while watching movies on blu-ray.  None of my prior TVs did motion interpolation.  The motion is very smooth, though.  I haven't tried turning Motionflow off yet, but will probably leave it on anyway for the higher frame rate, and see if I get used to it.
 

Thanks for any help!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Televaiozn View Post
 

 

 

Hi there!

 

I watched your video, and I have noticed the identical "clicking" noise (as you call it--I describe it as a pulsating static sound) with my new same model TV.  Mine was made in Mexico with a manufactured date of April 2014.  I have not connected it to the internet or done any updates yet.  What did you end up doing?  Did you ever find a resolution to it?  I will say that it is rather quiet, and so far I have only noticed it when I'm very close to the TV and have the volume off.  Otherwise I don't notice it.  I'll try checking for firmware updates tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

 

 

Thanks!


Hey.  First off, the sound is definitely not a fan, as some have speculated.  It's electronic interference on the audio output of the TV.  Unfortunately this means that turning off the speakers (setting an external audio system, muting them, whatever) has no effect.  I believed a while back that a firmware update had fixed the problem, but unfortunately it returned soon after, so I assume that was a coincidence.  At this point I'm still undecided as far as how I want to proceed.  The TV is under warranty until January, so I'm basically just monitoring how often the sound is noticeable/annoying at this point to decide whether it's worth the hassle of exchanging it, and of possibly getting a set with other problems.  Most likely I will exchange before the end of the warranty period though.

WhiteSands and Televaiozn like this.
TempestGuy is offline  
post #3155 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 425
With the sound turned down my set don't have this sound your talking about. I do recommend any testing to be done with a signal applied. I did the test this time with and without a video source and my speakers are dead quite on both bottom sides. I have done all 7 updates since receiving my set back in early October last year.

The fan I mentioned was in my panasonic plasma set. This Sony set has a good sized indented air vent area over the pro processor circuit board in the back cover for cooling.
Televaiozn likes this.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #3156 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Screen shot taken from my TV.

Ripper64 and steve1971 like this.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #3157 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 AM
Newbie
 
Televaiozn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16


Thanks, TempestGuy!  I will contact Sony about it as well, so that they know that this problem is continuing to occur, and will reference your video.  :)  Thanks, WhiteSands, for confirming that it's doesn't happen on all sets.

Televaiozn is offline  
post #3158 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Newbie
 
vitalizm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just made the plunge and ordered the w850a and I should be getting it tomorrow.

 

WhiteSands, can you send me your special settings that some have been referring to?

 

Some have mentioned that the Cinema picture mode is pretty accurate. Also, whats the best way to setup the picture (short of buying a Spyder or having a pro calibrate the set)? Anyone recommend a DVD or a youtube link?

 

Can't wait to get my hands on the set!

vitalizm is offline  
post #3159 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Member
 
Fairfax-Franko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalizm View Post

I just made the plunge and ordered the w850a and I should be getting it tomorrow.

WhiteSands, can you send me your special settings that some have been referring to?

Some have mentioned that the Cinema picture mode is pretty accurate. Also, whats the best way to setup the picture (short of buying a Spyder or having a pro calibrate the set)? Anyone recommend a DVD or a youtube link?

Can't wait to get my hands on the set!
Try WhiteSands settings before you buy a calibration disk - you may feel you won't need one.
Fairfax-Franko is offline  
post #3160 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Newbie
 
vitalizm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Where can I get WhiteSands settings?

vitalizm is offline  
post #3161 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
KeyLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

First time poster! Ive read about 75% of this thread. Whitesands definitely has contributed a lot this thread. Thanks Whitesands!

 

I received this TV May 5th. I am having it replaced tomorrow with a new one. I had really bad clouding the entire bottom third of the TV, and then this clicking started happening and the TV wouldnt turn on. From everyone's posts I think I just got a bad set. Sony is kind enough to replace it hassle free. Hope the new set is perfect.

 

Other than that, the picture is as good as everyone says. I watched Star Trek Into Darkness. Man oh man! The first scene where Captain Kirk is running through a red forest being chased by white aliens. I was BLOWN away. I dont think I've ever seen anything like that before. The color, smooth refresh in the chase, detail and contrast between the colors compared to skin tone. I'm a 2nd generation video/audiophile, and I can't wait for my dad and brother to visit so I can show them.

 

Whitesands. I noticed you posted a few variations of settings you prefered. Can you please PM me your latest and greatest? Maybe give a page# to future readers. I appreciate it!

KeyLo is offline  
post #3162 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Newbie
 
dasd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I received my new TV (kdl65w850a) the other day however I didn't notice anything spectacular about the picture quality yet. I am still playing around with the settings and may be I have't got the settings right.

WhiteSands, can you please send me your special settings that everyone is referring to?

Also, I am planning to buy a good 3D Blue-ray player. Any recommendations pls??
dasd is offline  
post #3163 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Member
 
Fairfax-Franko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalizm View Post

Where can I get WhiteSands settings?

PM WhiteSands and he will PM the settings back too you.
WhiteSands likes this.
Fairfax-Franko is offline  
post #3164 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Newbie
 
KeyLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasd View Post

I received my new TV (kdl65w850a) the other day however I didn't notice anything spectacular about the picture quality yet. I am still playing around with the settings and may be I have't got the settings right.

WhiteSands, can you please send me your special settings that everyone is referring to?

Also, I am planning to buy a good 3D Blue-ray player. Any recommendations pls??

 

 

Give the TV a week. I wasn't too impressed with it at first coming from a plasma and an older LCD. Watched a few favorite HBO shows and movies, then things started to blow me away. From the posts I read before this one, Avatar seems to be the reference. I tried Pacific Rim, Star Trek, and Wall-E. As far as Blu-ray, not much help there. I use a PS4. Theres a pretty big learning curve with this TV, IMO. A lot of scene selects and settings to choose from. Give it some time to get use to traveling through the menu, and seeing what the selections do to your picture. The way I like to see things will be different from other people. So I have taken the time to just tweak things myself, play with the apps, and just enjoy the TV. 

 

Have fun. its a tv! 

 

Whitesands responds pretty promptly.

WhiteSands likes this.
KeyLo is offline  
post #3165 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
guvadc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Televaiozn View Post

Hello!
I just got this TV the other day and have some questions for other owners.

1) I notice some definite minor ghosting when watching 3D movies.  For example it is clearly apparent in Avatar on the subtitles that come up when they are speaking the other language.  You can see it on the picture at various times, too (pretty often if you're looking for it).  I've watched 3D movies on a 73" DLP and never noticed such ghosting there (but did notice other annoyances).  I don't know if I just didn't notice it on that set, or if it actually wasn't there.  I am wondering if it is this normal for this TV, and if there's any way to get rid of it?  It's not terrible, and I'd still rate the 3D as being overall good, but it would certainly be better without the ghosting.

2) When I turn the volume all the way down and go close to the TV, I hear a sort of pulsating static sound coming from behind the TV at the lower right hand (when looking from front) corner.  Is that normal?  Does anyone else notice that?  I can't hear it unless I'm close to the TV with the volume down/off, so it's not causing me any problem, I'm more just curious why it is occurring.


Overall, I like the TV a lot so far.  I will mention that this is the first time that I've ever seen the soap opera effect while watching movies on blu-ray.  None of my prior TVs did motion interpolation.  The motion is very smooth, though.  I haven't tried turning Motionflow off yet, but will probably leave it on anyway for the higher frame rate, and see if I get used to it.

 
Thanks for any help!

I too notice the ghosting in 3D just like you described. Is this "cross talk" ?

I'd also call the 3d good as well, but it would be better if the ghosting wasn't there.
WhiteSands likes this.
guvadc is offline  
post #3166 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Member
 
Arcanlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just received my KDL65W850A and am generally very happy - however I do notice dark strips on the far left and right sides. When looking at an all-white screen it's very noticeable, and on any bright scene it can get a little distracting. I'm using the out-of-box settings now and wondering if some adjustments won't help the issue? I did PM WS for his famous settings, hoping that alleviates the issue somewhat but looking at some of his screenshots I see some evidence of the same issue.

Coming from an old 720P plasma that had uniform lighting edge to edge. I have to say that's the only thing the old plasma seemed to be better at - the colors on the KDL65W850A are pretty phenomenal.

Thanks for any insight.
WhiteSands likes this.
Arcanlaw is offline  
post #3167 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
CJayB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mission Hills, CA
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

XBR8, HX950, HX850, W900 and I will give a nod to the W850A as well being Sonys best non 4K sets.

To this should also be added the Sony 65S990. Feature set is similar to the W900 with similar great blacks. Perfect color. Great speakers that rival many soundbars. Unobtrusive curved screen. And a real standout is the passive 3-D that is a thing of beauty. Even the simulated 3-D effect works pretty well on a film like The Fifth Element. Some instances of clouding mar an otherwise near perfect picture.
WhiteSands likes this.
CJayB is offline  
post #3168 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Member
 
Fairfax-Franko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanlaw View Post

Just received my KDL65W850A and am generally very happy - however I do notice dark strips on the far left and right sides. When looking at an all-white screen it's very noticeable, and on any bright scene it can get a little distracting. I'm using the out-of-box settings now and wondering if some adjustments won't help the issue? I did PM WS for his famous settings, hoping that alleviates the issue somewhat but looking at some of his screenshots I see some evidence of the same issue.

Coming from an old 720P plasma that had uniform lighting edge to edge. I have to say that's the only thing the old plasma seemed to be better at - the colors on the KDL65W850A are pretty phenomenal.

Thanks for any insight.
WhiteSands also has an ice-rub fix for that. When he PM's you, PM him back and ask for his ice-rub technique.

Good Luck!
WhiteSands likes this.
Fairfax-Franko is offline  
post #3169 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Bamafan22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Alright. I have had this set for about a few weeks now and I have gone through every setting I can think of including WS settings and I can not for the life of me settle on anything. The Tv looks awesome sometimes and not so good at others. I have Mediacom cable so I'm sure that's part of it.


I'm noticing when I watch anything with a dark scene that it looks like smoke or vapor trying to form in parts of the dark scene. Is this just my source material?
WhiteSands likes this.
Bamafan22 is offline  
post #3170 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Ripper64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
WhiteSands, can you please send me your settings. Do I need to run different settings before running WhiteSands settings ?. I just picked up the 65W850A an hour ago. Just fired her up and looking good so far. I grabbed the 3 year warranty with it through Future shop here in Canada. Mine is manufactured in October eek.gif . Hopefully everything goes good. They had 2 of these sets sitting in their storage.

They finally put one on display yesterday, and I bought the other one today new in the box. I tried to find out what the manufacture date was on the other one, but pretty sure its the same because they had 2 sitting back there for a few months. Both this one and the display looked fine from what I can tell so far. If I have a problem I know they have one more if it doesn't sell to soon. Too bad they didn't have a newer build.

I bought a 70" R550A last year and didn't like the PQ on it at all. It had some clouding and blotching and wasn't a very sharp picture. Sony was going to replace it, but someone wanted to buy it so I sold it instead of replacing it. Sold that off and picked up a used Panasonic Plasma 65" S30 that I liked better. I really wanted the W850A and sold the S30 today. So far I think its a good decision.

Should I take the new firmware update ?. I know sometimes it makes things worse. If its good to go I will update the firmware.
WhiteSands likes this.
Ripper64 is offline  
post #3171 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Newbie
 
w850a's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

well i received my TV from sony store and it had a feb 2014 build date... i havent plugged it in yet

WhiteSands likes this.
w850a is offline  
post #3172 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Member
 
Fairfax-Franko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper64 View Post


Should I take the new firmware update ?. I know sometimes it makes things worse. If its good to go I will update the firmware.
I updated mine and nothing bad happened. WhiteSands updated it too with no bad results.
WhiteSands likes this.
Fairfax-Franko is offline  
post #3173 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I just set mine up about 2 hours ago. Also a FEB build date and delivered out of Carson California. I also notice a slight kind of light smoky hazy kind of thing in a black area. So far I've seen it during a baseball game which is usually a pretty good HD feed. I also noticed this with my 70r550a and my 70w850b. Backing off the brightness and or the backlight helps a bit but with obvious other draw backs. I'm using the WS settings even though with the color set at 50+ all of the colors over saturated to my eye. I settled on color number 36 which is much more life like to me but even at 36 the greens are a bit too saturated, especially for a golf show or ball game.
WhiteSands likes this.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #3174 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Fairfax-Franko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I just set mine up about 2 hours ago. Also a FEB build date and delivered out of Carson California. I also notice a slight kind of light smoky hazy kind of thing in a black area. So far I've seen it during a baseball game which is usually a pretty good HD feed. I also noticed this with my 70r550a and my 70w850b. Backing off the brightness and or the backlight helps a bit but with obvious other draw backs. I'm using the WS settings even though with the color set at 50+ all of the colors over saturated to my eye. I settled on color number 36 which is much more life like to me but even at 36 the greens are a bit too saturated, especially for a golf show or ball game.
Are you watching on Standard, Vivid, or Cinema?
WhiteSands likes this.
Fairfax-Franko is offline  
post #3175 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Newbie
 
dasd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLo View Post


Give the TV a week. I wasn't too impressed with it at first coming from a plasma and an older LCD. Watched a few favorite HBO shows and movies, then things started to blow me away. From the posts I read before this one, Avatar seems to be the reference. I tried Pacific Rim, Star Trek, and Wall-E. As far as Blu-ray, not much help there. I use a PS4. Theres a pretty big learning curve with this TV, IMO. A lot of scene selects and settings to choose from. Give it some time to get use to traveling through the menu, and seeing what the selections do to your picture. The way I like to see things will be different from other people. So I have taken the time to just tweak things myself, play with the apps, and just enjoy the TV. 

Have fun. its a tv! 

Whitesands responds pretty promptly.

Thanks for the advice KeyLo! I will then wait for couple of weeks and keep playing around with settings.
WhiteSands likes this.
dasd is offline  
post #3176 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Ripper64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko View Post

I updated mine and nothing bad happened. WhiteSands updated it too with no bad results.

I forgot I had mine set up to take the update when the TV was powered off. I ran the update but didn't take it when I first turned it on. When I got back home and turned the TV on it said it was upgraded and pressed ok. I set the back lighting to 70 after first firing it up for break in. Does that still apply ?. I haven't had a chance to mess with any of the settings yet.
WhiteSands likes this.
Ripper64 is offline  
post #3177 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Member
 
Bamafan22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I just set mine up about 2 hours ago. Also a FEB build date and delivered out of Carson California. I also notice a slight kind of light smoky hazy kind of thing in a black area. So far I've seen it during a baseball game which is usually a pretty good HD feed. I also noticed this with my 70r550a and my 70w850b. Backing off the brightness and or the backlight helps a bit but with obvious other draw backs. I'm using the WS settings even though with the color set at 50+ all of the colors over saturated to my eye. I settled on color number 36 which is much more life like to me but even at 36 the greens are a bit too saturated, especially for a golf show or ball game.
Have you checked to see if your live color setting is set to low? I turned mine off and that helped.
WhiteSands likes this.
Bamafan22 is offline  
post #3178 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Member
 
furry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Been very happy with my W900A but the 55 inch size was just too small....finally decided to pull the trigger and getting a new W850A delivered next week. its good deal more than the W900A ( i got a display unit for a great price) but BB pricematched and there's a good 10% back offer going on now so I feel content.

Whitesands: can you PM your settings when you get a chance? Thanks
WhiteSands likes this.
furry is offline  
post #3179 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Newbie
 
Televaiozn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestGuy View Post
 

 


Hey.  First off, the sound is definitely not a fan, as some have speculated.  It's electronic interference on the audio output of the TV.  Unfortunately this means that turning off the speakers (setting an external audio system, muting them, whatever) has no effect.  I believed a while back that a firmware update had fixed the problem, but unfortunately it returned soon after, so I assume that was a coincidence.  At this point I'm still undecided as far as how I want to proceed.  The TV is under warranty until January, so I'm basically just monitoring how often the sound is noticeable/annoying at this point to decide whether it's worth the hassle of exchanging it, and of possibly getting a set with other problems.  Most likely I will exchange before the end of the warranty period though.

 

So today the noise has been 100% gone.  I did do the online update, but I checked prior to that as well and it was gone.  I saw that you said it comes and goes, which I think is very weird.  Anyway, I'm glad that it wasn't happening today, and hopeful that it's resolved itself.  I guess I'll see!

Televaiozn is offline  
post #3180 of 4505 Old 05-22-2014, 10:58 PM
Newbie
 
Televaiozn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post


I too notice the ghosting in 3D just like you described. Is this "cross talk" ?

I'd also call the 3d good as well, but it would be better if the ghosting wasn't there.

 

Yes, I do think "crosstalk" is the official term, as it's being caused by some images making it to the wrong eye (crossing over to the wrong eye).  Alternately it's called ghosting as well, although I think ghosting is also sometimes used to describe motion blur too.  I watched some more of Avatar 3D today, and it seemed a bit better.  For some periods of time it actually seemed perfect.  One thing I noticed is that I hadn't removed the blue tape from the Sony logo, which I think that is where the 3D emitter is.  I was hoping that would completely fix it, but I don't think it helped so much, but it may have slightly.  Other things that seemed to help some were sitting directly centered to the TV, and not wearing the glasses too close to my eyes.  There were some times when the subtitles (the easiest time to notice the issue) were clear with no crosstalk.  Then sometimes the subtitle text would be clear, then some crosstalk would jump in, then it would clear up again.  Like it was intermittently happening and going away, even within short periods of a few seconds (again most observable on that text).  Interestingly it doesn't happen at all on other text, such as the credits.  I'll eventually try other pairs of glasses, and of course other movies.

WhiteSands likes this.
Televaiozn is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off