AVS Forum banner

Sony 65W850a reviews

510K views 5K replies 555 participants last post by  asdetail 
#1 ·
Looks like the first review for this set has gone up. Not too detailed I'm afraid, but I hope this means others are coming soon.

If anyone else spots other reviews, please post them here.

TV is set to go on sale the first week of October and is seen as the big brother to the 55" W900/905.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sony-lcd-tv/sony-kdl65w850a.html

#2,802 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitnit  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2790#post_24662171

Wondering whether I am too picky or some settings I need to change.. The other day I was seeing Tropic Thunder in Blu ray and in some scenes I could see a hint of grain in a few scenes (Same with titanic) . Wonder if that is present in the source or some settings I need to change ? I am sitting at 8.5 feet away from the TV..

If you don't see the grain when not using your blu ray player you might try the options on the player and check the sharpness setting. If your using my settings on the TV then the Vivid sharpness setting would be set to 50 rather than Sony's default at 75, which may show grain on some movies and show. Be sure to check your HDMI or component cables between the blu ray player and the TV to make sure their plugged in good. If your using a older HDMI cable you might temporarily swap it for another to see if that helps with the grain problem.

#2,804 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2790#post_24661995

Are you guys still using live color?? I tried it and it looks ok with some movies but with others it looks to colorful or cartoonish in other movies.

I do not use Live Color. I find that it exaggerates the colors too much and makes them look unreal. I also feel that with it on you loose some of the detail in the picture. he one exception is when I watch a 3D movie. I will have Live Color set to Low to give the 3D a little extra pop. Personally with the Triluminos display I think Live Color is unnecessary.

#2,810 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2790#post_24663319

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2790#post_24663131

Hey WS you have me thinking about pulling the trigger and buying an 850A for myself! Yes I have my W9 but seriously thinking about it.

This W850a set would make a great choice, same big 5-star rating as your W900a set and at a good price.

Yea WS I have been reading all the reviews on the net and they are all very good. Plus the size of the 850 is very tantalizing as well. Sooooooo tempted. Lol

#2,811 ·
@ WhiteSands,

Cool scenery pictures thanks for posting . I was able to find the originals on Google .

(when viewing right click on image > search goggle for this image ) I loaded some on a USB and played them on my Sony KDL 40R450a bedroom set they looked pretty good I might try them on the Plasma soon .

I stumbled on this page with some cool pictures.

#2,814 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseace  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2790#post_24662885

Live Color seems to really oversaturate red colors compared to the other two primary colors, so I ended up turning it off and increasing the standard color setting.
Yeah that's the same thing I did,turned it off and upped the color. Looks pretty good now,thanks for the reply.

#2,819 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2790#post_24664919

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2790#post_24663382

Yea WS I have been reading all the reviews on the net and they are all very good. Plus the size of the 850 is very tantalizing as well. Sooooooo tempted. Lol

I wish I had a W900a set just to compare the two great pictures on these two sets.

Well if I pull the trigger and get the 850 I will have that chance to compare the 2 side by side and see with my own eyes which is better. My wife wants me to get another W9 and give ours to my mother and stepfather! She has a thing about things that have to be brand spanking new and I told her our current W9 is still new but for her its not new enough I guess but thats out of the question. If I get another set it will be the 850. I will know by this weekend if I get one or not. Stay tuned WS. LOL

#2,820 ·
Random Question about Set-Up and the Sony "Guide" that mimics your cable service (Verizon Fios, for me). I've seen the Set-Up reviews that indicate that the TV, on initial setup, asks you for your cable/satellite provider and populates a Guide for your use (i.e. so you don't have to "use" your Cable Box for the Guide or other features). I don't want to be "forced" to use Sony's Guide (even if it is 100% compatible with my Fios service) - I'd much rather use the Fios Guide (and remote) that I'm used to. Is there anything I should/shouldn't do to make sure I can avoid this?

I want to set up the Ethernet (I will be wiring it, not going the WiFi route) connection and all Apps, etc., but I have no need for the Sony cable guide "feature."

Thanks to WhiteSands for the Settings, and thanks in advance to everyone for any info/tips. Looking forward to this TV in a week or so...

#2,821 ·
Sony has finally posted the changelog for the latest firmware update: PKG4.411AAA

"Improvements over version PKG4.401AAA:

- Improves performance and stability of the Internet features"

From reading the forums and Sony support forums, I think one of the things they fixed is 5.1 Audio output issues to receiver from the Netflix app.

Guess I will update tonight. Over 3 people have updated with no complaints.

Reactions: WhiteSands
#2,826 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2820#post_24665540

Sony has finally posted the changelog for the latest firmware update: PKG4.411AAA

"Improvements over version PKG4.401AAA:

- Improves performance and stability of the Internet features"

From reading the forums and Sony support forums, I think one of the things they fixed is 5.1 Audio output issues to receiver from the Netflix app.

Guess I will update tonight. Over 3 people have updated with no complaints.
Thanks for the info...I am a bit skeptical of the frequent TV updates.  It seems we have had a few over the past month which could ultimately lead to issues that may cause set problems.  I am all for Sony keeping us up to date with the free updates and hope that doing a hard reset would bring the set back to working condition should anything go wrong during or after an update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.