post #3421 of 4215 Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

I just checked the Fry's website and after logging in and seeing the 1499 price, it says it is available for in store pick up only. BB's price match policy states it does include Fry's as a retailer they'll price match, but the closest Fry's to me is about 400 miles away. I wonder if I go to BB and show them the price while logged into Fry's on my phone if they'll do it, or since its in store pick up only and far away they'll decline.

Anyone been through something like this?

Ive done that for a receiver, but not a tv. They just need to see the listed price tag since they price match online and in store prices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 4215 Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Its crazy how much this tv has dropped in price. Bought this tv for $2700 with 4yr warranty about 2 months ago from bestbuy
post #3423 of 4215 Old 06-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Here is a new scenic screen shot.

post #3424 of 4215 Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For price matching, I use a credit card like discovercard that will price match 1 time up to $500 within 90 days. Takes a phone call to receive the claim form, wait a week or two for it to arrive, then submit supporting documentation. Total process takes 10-15 of your time for phone call and print out credit card statement, receipt and proof of lower price, usually a screen shot or an ad. Takes about a month for entire process to complete but I've gotten price matches approve every single time (kind of like rebate submission). There are other credit cards such as visa that also has a price matching perk but I have not used it so can not vouch for the process.

For technology items like TV's that consistently drop in price, I think that is good protection. I'm planning to submit a claim based on the fry's price as well. Hoping to get $299 back.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3425 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 AM

Liked: 21
Too bad there is no Frye here in Canada. I paid $1,850 for this set here in Canada couple of weeks ago. Most of the retailers here in Canada does not have this set anymore.

The Canadian Sony online store still have this set selling for $2,499. I sure could have used the extra $350 worth of saving.

http://store.sony.ca/65-w850a-series-led-hdtv-zid31-KDL65W850A/cat-31-catid-All-W-Series-TVs?_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3Dw850a
post #3426 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 05:20 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Here is a new scenic screen shot.

WS, are those crescents starting from the lower left corner actually on your set? Or are they just showing up in the pictures? I noticed them on the pic of the bird you recently posted also. The scenes look great, but I was just curious.

Also, what exactly does the Scene Select Sync do? I read the manual and the posts here about it, but is it something to do with ambient light in the room (or is that the eco sensor?) Or the amount of light in the current picture on the screen?

Thanks again!
post #3427 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper04468 View Post

WS, are those crescents starting from the lower left corner actually on your set? Or are they just showing up in the pictures? I noticed them on the pic of the bird you recently posted also. The scenes look great, but I was just curious.

Also, what exactly does the Scene Select Sync do? I read the manual and the posts here about it, but is it something to do with ambient light in the room (or is that the eco sensor?) Or the amount of light in the current picture on the screen?

Thanks again!

No I don't think they are crescents. This is a interaction between the camera and the TV. I'm trying to go with auto-focus using my camera. If I take the screen shots using manual and every so slightly adjust the focus off a bit the ripples goes away and the picture still looks rather sharp. The panel reflectors are on both sides facing the center area of the screen. I never see any ripples when i'm watching TV or looking though the USB memory stick for one of the many scenic pictures looking for a good one for a screen shot.

Andy is the fellow in the know about the Scene Select Sync setting.
post #3428 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

No I doubt they are crescents. This is a interaction between the camera and the TV. I'm trying to go auto focus using my camera. If I take the screen shots using manual and every so slightly adjust the focus off a bit the lines goes away and the picture still looks rather sharp. The crescents of reflectors in the panel are on both sided turned opposing facing the center area of the screen. The crescents are a few reflectors, what your seeing in these last few screen shots are many ripples caused my my camera. I never see them when i'm watching TV or one of these many scenic pictures looking for a good one for a screen shot.

Andy is up on the Scene Select Sync setting fellow to learn from.

Ok, that's what I thought, regarding the crescents, because I didn't recall seeing them on your previous pictures (all of which look fantastic). Thanks for the confirmation though!
post #3429 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Here is a earlier screen shot using manual focus. Like you said, no ripples.

mptoledo likes this.
post #3430 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 AM

Liked: 15

Whitesands, Where do you find these beautiful screen shots?

WhiteSands likes this.
post #3431 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper04468 View Post

Thanks again!

from what I've seen, it just seems to dim the picture on my end and so far, I don't really see much of a benefit. Eco sensor is a different setting that adjust brightness to room lighting.
post #3432 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Eco sensors, I feel, are one of those things that in theory sound great, but in practice just don't work how you want. I've read that on the new Sharps you can set a max and a min range for the TV to stick inside of, and that (again, in theory) sounds like it may work. I don't mind turning up the backlight during the day and down at night, but it would be nice if it did it accurately on its own. Maybe someday.
post #3433 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 148
All the SSS does is regulate the backlight automatically depending on what Sony feels is appropriate for brighter and darker scenes. It does make a difference but it really depends on if you like what Sony decides is appropriate. If you are using VIVID with your backlight set to MAX then SSS works pretty well for my tastes. But those are my tastes. My choice was determined when I paused a dark scene and could see weird looking color deformities radiating out from a bright facial close up in a dark scene. Now most of the problem is probably in the quality of the feed (from either Dish Network or more likely the studio shooting the particular show). When I pause the picture during one of these scenes the problem greatly lessens if I turn the SSS on and back the brightness down to 48. Moving brightness up to 49 and it's worse and 50 is even more messed up. In my perfect world SSS would be a little stronger but it is what it is. This uniformity issue never happens during a blu-ray or even a standard DVD.
post #3434 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo View Post

Ask them why your best friend(me) can get a price match and you can't. I wouldn't bring up there are no fry's in your area unless they do first. If they do bring it up, email them my receipt and tell them I am over 100 miles from fry's and they called corporate on mine and ok'd it. I guess just let them know that you are a valued Elite plus customer and it would seem foolish to lose you over this.

If you live within a 100 miles or so, tell them your aunt lives there that you visit often and could pick it up there anytime. Also they have a BB across the street from fry's there, what is the difference??

Good luck with Corp. MP>

Called BB and a no go there for the price match either. I didn't even get into the whole location thing, the simple fact that the I was trying to price match a TV with a competitor AFTER purchase is outside of their policy. They will only price match their own prices within 15 days of purchase. This does clearly state this in the policy, which I myself overlooked because it really doesn't make sense, to me anyway.

I did argue with them a bit that this policy is kind of silly since I could just return the TV and buy it again with the price match. They said yes, that is what I would have to do. They would literally put everyone ( themselves included) through the hassle of setting up a return with a pick up, then a delivery of a newly purchased set with the price match.

Being an elite plus member gets you nothing in regards to their low price guarantee either. True, you have 45 days to return the set, but still can only price match their own prices within 15 days. Same thing applies, I can just return the set if I wish and re-purchase. I also saw on the BB forums where ppl were talking about the same thing. The response from the BB moderator was something to the effect that yes you could certainly take advantage of that loophole.
post #3435 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

All the SSS does is regulate the backlight automatically depending on what Sony feels is appropriate for brighter and darker scenes. It does make a difference but it really depends on if you like what Sony decides is appropriate. If you are using VIVID with your backlight set to MAX then SSS works pretty well for my tastes. But those are my tastes. My choice was determined when I paused a dark scene and could see weird looking color deformities radiating out from a bright facial close up in a dark scene. Now most of the problem is probably in the quality of the feed (from either Dish Network or more likely the studio shooting the particular show). When I pause the picture during one of these scenes the problem greatly lessens if I turn the SSS on and back the brightness down to 48. Moving brightness up to 49 and it's worse and 50 is even more messed up. In my perfect world SSS would be a little stronger but it is what it is. This uniformity issue never happens during a blu-ray or even a standard DVD.

What is your gamma set at?

I know that setting the brightness to 48 reduces shadow detail a bit, but is still ideal to lessen other shortcomings. If I set the gamma to 1 it does increase the shadow detail a bit making a nice comprimise , from what I see for now anyway
post #3436 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

That is exactly wher I have my gamma set. Sitting her watching Toar Tora Tora right now. Awesome picture..
post #3437 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

What is your gamma set at?

I know that setting the brightness to 48 reduces shadow detail a bit, but is still ideal to lessen other shortcomings. If I set the gamma to 1 it does increase the shadow detail a bit making a nice comprimise , from what I see for now anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

That is exactly wher I have my gamma set. Sitting her watching Toar Tora Tora right now. Awesome picture..

Can i ask, what month your build date is for your sets. Is this brightness issue a problem with this set in general or is it for a particular month build?
post #3438 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 11:12 AM

Liked: 12
In game mode what settings are you guys leaving on and to what level? Thanks Jon. Also are you using custom or standard?
post #3439 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboy1 View Post

Can i ask, what month your build date is for your sets. Is this brightness issue a problem with this set in general or is it for a particular month build?

My build date is April 2014. I personaly don't think build date matters in this. Its more of a limitation of the edglit led sets in general. The brightness "issue" is that the sides are brighter than the rest of the TV a bit. Depending on the content and viewing environment it may or may not be that noticible to you. I'm in a darker environment , so darker scenes can bring it or more. Lowering the brightness to 48 and using the scene select sync can really minimize it.
bestboy1 likes this.
post #3440 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge View Post

In game mode what settings are you guys leaving on and to what level? Thanks Jon

I leave the local dimming setting to standard and use the only available motion flow setting of impulse. I don't mind the slight flicker of this mode and I feel it greatly reduces motion blur. This mode does dim the picture, but not a problem for me in my environment.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3441 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboy1 View Post

My set is a Feb.build date. I do not at all see a brightness issue. It's just a matter of finding the best PQ for your specific tastes. For me perfect would be if Sony allowed for a range of SSS strengths. I wish I could get a bit more brightness to the dark scenes and a bit less dimming to the bright scenes. The 65w850a still has the best use of SSS that I've seen. So far I'm very happy with SSS on and backlight set to Max and brightness to 48. I've spent endless hours trying every different combination possible and this combo, with color temp at cool and color at 28-30 I get the best blacks and great over all POP.
bestboy1 and WhiteSands like this.
post #3442 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Liked: 28
I just got back from BB. I took a flash drive with the 3 background pics(gray, white and black). I wanted to see how bad the floor model is compared to my tv(or vice versa). I have a lightly shaded, squarish "blob" in the middle and a few dark strips down each side. It isn't horrible and I only see it when I am on the test pics. The floor model at BB looked about the same as mine. The 7k 55" sammy looked almost perfect, but it did have 4 darker spots in each corner. Much more even uniformity than the 2 sonys. They said since I was in my 14 days< I could swap it out, but I would either have to bring the other one back or buy another one and return the old one. I wish they would just let me crack open the new one in the warehouse and test it before I went to all the trouble of taking mine back. They were willing to let me buy the second at the $1499 that I price matched fry's with friday. I( haven't figure out what I am going to do yet, but I will do some more tests using a calibration disk.

Let me restate from previous posts, THIS PICTURE IS AMAZING!! By the way, my build date is 12-13(same as the floor model). I am still not sure how BB is refusing to PM frys for a few of you. Sorry, but I would keep trying. wink.gif
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3443 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I just got back from BB. I took a flash drive with the 3 background pics(gray, white and black). I wanted to see how bad the floor model is compared to my tv(or vice versa). I have a lightly shaded, squarish "blob" in the middle and a few dark strips down each side. It isn't horrible and I only see it when I am on the test pics. The floor model at BB looked about the same as mine. The 7k 55" sammy looked almost perfect, but it did have 4 darker spots in each corner. Much more even uniformity than the 2 sonys. They said since I was in my 14 days< I could swap it out, but I would either have to bring the other one back or buy another one and return the old one. I wish they would just let me crack open the new one in the warehouse and test it before I went to all the trouble of taking mine back. They were willing to let me buy the second at the $1499 that I price matched fry's with friday. I( haven't figure out what I am going to do yet, but I will do some more tests using a calibration disk.

Let me restate from previous posts, THIS PICTURE IS AMAZING!! By the way, my build date is 12-13(same as the floor model). I am still not sure how BB is refusing to PM frys for a few of you. Sorry, but I would keep trying. wink.gif

Ultimately the difference between you being able to pm and myself not, is that you are matching at time of purchase as apposed to me trying to match after purchase. For better or worse that is their policy.

Even if I did simply return it and try to purchase again with a pm, they don't have any left in my area. Plus I wouldn't want to risk getting a set with worse issues such as stuck pixels or something. It sucks, but to be honest I never expected to get it lower than 1,999. I should feel fortunate to get a pm for 1,799 an another at 1,699.
Especially since their policy also states it is limited to 1 pm only.

Are you experiencing noticeable uniformity issues on your set?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3444 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM

Liked: 28
Good enough. I asked the girl how many she had and she said 1 in stock to sell, but more are coming in. I have 1 stuck pixel(pink) but you can't see it at all, unless your within 4 feet and it is a white screen( sit 20 feet away). I don't think it is worth boxing mine up, moving it down the stairs, putting it in the truck just in hopes to get a slightly better set. I will try to post a couple pics of white/gray screens.

I used a samsung camera and it looks slightly worse than in person.

WhiteSands likes this.
post #3445 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 01:11 PM

I got ABT to price match when I ordered and even asked them what happens if the price goes down by the time that it gets shipped and I was given the impression that they would still make an adjustment. I contacted them about the Fry's price and sent them a screen shot of it in my cart. I already have it on order at $1619, but hey, an extra $120 back in my pocket would be even better. Now I'm getting the "one price match" line, which is fine if that's what I was told when I asked at time of order. So I let her know that her colleague did indicate it could be done....waiting to hear back. Even if it doesn't go through, it's a great price. But $1499 is just better!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3446 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Liked: 13

Hello, new member here.  I just purchased this kdf65W850A from BB yesterday for my son's birthday.  Thought it'd be a nice upgrade from our *almost 10 yrs* old WEGA.   This new tv will be in our family room, which he has taken over as game room.  

Thought about getting XBR55X850A, but read that input lag is terrible for gaming.   I've been reading this forum since last night to the point that my eyes hurt from reading tablet and came to conclusion that  I should just go ahead ask Whitesands to kindly share his famous settings.  :D

Whitesands,  could you please share and send me your best settings ?  Thanks...

WhiteSands likes this.
post #3447 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Good enough. I asked the girl how many she had and she said 1 in stock to sell, but more are coming in. I have 1 stuck pixel(pink) but you can't see it at all, unless your within 4 feet and it is a white screen( sit 20 feet away). I don't think it is worth boxing mine up, moving it down the stairs, putting it in the truck just in hopes to get a slightly better set. I will try to post a couple pics of white/gray screens.

I used a samsung camera and it looks slightly worse than in person.

Where is the stuck pink pixel? I don't see it.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3448 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjkt View Post

Hello, new member here.  I just purchased this kdf65W850A from BB yesterday for my son's birthday.  Thought it'd be a nice upgrade from our *almost 10 yrs* old WEGA.   This new tv will be in our family room, which he has taken over as game room.  

Thought about getting XBR55X850A, but read that input lag is terrible for gaming.   I've been reading this forum since last night to the point that my eyes hurt from reading tablet and came to conclusion that  I should just go ahead ask Whitesands to kindly share his famous settings.  biggrin.gif

Whitesands,  could you please share and send me your best settings ?  Thanks...
Actually someone posted them on page 113.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3449 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud11244 View Post

Whitesands, Where do you find these beautiful screen shots?

I get them from a few blu ray movies. I also search google images for the better Canadian mountain shots, trains, butterfly's and etc.
cloud11244 likes this.
post #3450 of 4215 Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM

Liked: 16
2 days with this set, coming from an ST30 Panasonic Plasma... First impressions, colors are phenomenal and very vivid on any mode (using WS settings). It really is noticeable how nice they look. However, there are some issues:

-movement is very unnatural to my eyes, i.e. soap opera effect. Others have noticed it too. Is this the Cinemotion setting? Motionflow? It's driving me mad.

-I'm slightly disappointed so far at some of the 'defects' I've seen. For example, during a black screen and credits rolling, there are 2 light 'bars' on either side of the screen. It's very distracting and even my wife asked what was wrong with the TV. Is this 'flashlighting'? I've attached some photos below of the darkness after credits.

-during some of the scenic shots, I noticed 2 darker 'bars' in the center of the screen as well as darkness on both edges of the screen. Is this a lack of screen uniformity? Flashlighting? I've attached some photos below, but they are with a camera phone again and it actually looks worse in person than it does in these photos. It's especially noticeable on solid colors, blue sky, etc. From off angle it looks like 2 dark stripes on the screen (much like the photos posted above).

I've never had a large LCD, so these issues are new to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I only have a 2 week exchange/return period... I'm hoping this one works out.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
WhiteSands likes this.

-kb
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page