Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Hi All,

I received my TV yesterday, and like everyone else, I'm impressed by the color saturation and dark levels on it. I've adjusted the settings per WhiteSand's settings.

However I have a noob question: How do I adjust the settings on Netflix? The settings only apply to either the selected "INPUT" or "All inputs". Netflix isn't really an input? Options button is non-function when watching netflix? (I don't understand that logic)

No matter how much I try, I can't seem to get rid of the soap opera effect which only seems to happen when I'm watching Netflix. It's driving me nuts!

Any help appreciated!

WhiteSands likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Liked: 28
Under picture adjustments, did you check common for "Setting Memory"? That would be my guess as I don't use NF.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3513 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprash View Post

Hi All,

I received my TV yesterday, and like everyone else, I'm impressed by the color saturation and dark levels on it. I've adjusted the settings per WhiteSand's settings.

However I have a noob question: How do I adjust the settings on Netflix? The settings only apply to either the selected "INPUT" or "All inputs". Netflix isn't really an input? Options button is non-function when watching netflix? (I don't understand that logic)

No matter how much I try, I can't seem to get rid of the soap opera effect which only seems to happen when I'm watching Netflix. It's driving me nuts!

Any help appreciated!

If you want to adjust the color settings for Netflix just go to the Crackle app and adjust them from there. The settings you dial in for Crackle will apply to the Netflix settings as well.
sprash likes this.
post #3514 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

If you want to adjust the color settings for Netflix just go to the Crackle app and adjust them from there. The settings you dial in for Crackle will apply to the Netflix settings as well.

Ah, that's great! Thanks Steve!!! I have spent hours.

Really poor UI on Sony's part.

steve1971 likes this.
post #3515 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprash View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Ah, that's great! Thanks Steve!!! I have spent hours.

Really poor UI on Sony's part.

Your welcome. smile.gif
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3516 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It isn't really "on Sony's part". Netflix app licensing requires that the Netflix app be given full control of the hardware when it is running. This is done for anti-piracy reasons (or if you prefer, for "paranoid" reasons). So the manufacturer of the hardware device cannot provide their own menus (even for picture settings) while the Netflix app is running. And Netflix has no interest in providing those menus themselves, because they'd need to custom code them for every device.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3517 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 12:58 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

It isn't really "on Sony's part". Netflix app licensing requires that the Netflix app be given full control of the hardware when it is running. This is done for anti-piracy reasons (or if you prefer, for "paranoid" reasons). So the manufacturer of the hardware device cannot provide their own menus (even for picture settings) while the Netflix app is running. And Netflix has no interest in providing those menus themselves, because they'd need to custom code them for every device.

That's not the case with my Samsung F8000. I am able to select any menu or mode while in Netflix.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3518 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 425
I took a few new screen shots.

steve1971 and Fairfax-Franko like this.
post #3519 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I set up my set today. Really impressed so far. Thanks to Whitesands for his settings. Now i have a really stupid question. How to I access the different scene modes?One I try home, picture and display I get Setting memory.Picture mode and the ability to make a few changes. Can someone point me in the right direction.
Wanted to try Sound and Vision just for an exercise but can't locate any of their menus.
Thanks for any help.

Howard
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3520 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

It looks like Sony Sales recevied another shipment of the W850a sets. Sunday night, June 7th they do show to have the sets in stock for $1799.

page down on this site to see the set.

http://store.sony.com/full-hdtvs/cat-27-catid-2K-LED-HDTVs;pgid=hl52Mjl9qgRSRp_IdYztxl_a0000KpMYBXub;sid=-_BqURq1-N7IUUkmMMkYVYK_MssklNOOtTUcDUkO
post #3521 of 4438 Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

It looks like Sony Sales recevied another shipment of the W850a sets. Sunday night, June 7th they do show to have the sets in stock for $1799.

page down on this site to see the set.

http://store.sony.com/full-hdtvs/cat-27-catid-2K-LED-HDTVs;pgid=hl52Mjl9qgRSRp_IdYztxl_a0000KpMYBXub;sid=-_BqURq1-N7IUUkmMMkYVYK_MssklNOOtTUcDUkO

Yea you better get them while you can. Sony has officially pulled the plug on the W900A and I am sure the W850A is sure to be next in line as these 2 great sets are being phased out and replaced by Sony's new wedge shaped monstrosities mad.gif
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3522 of 4438 Old 06-08-2014, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Screen Shot from my TV

steve1971 and Cayloe like this.
post #3523 of 4438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Screen Shot from my TV

Very nice shot WhiteSands - the colors are wild! biggrin.gif
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3524 of 4438 Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post

I set up my set today. Really impressed so far. Thanks to Whitesands for his settings. Now i have a really stupid question. How to I access the different scene modes?One I try home, picture and display I get Setting memory.Picture mode and the ability to make a few changes. Can someone point me in the right direction.
Wanted to try Sound and Vision just for an exercise but can't locate any of their menus.
Thanks for any help.

Howard
Hit the options button and scene select is the 1st thing on the menu
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3525 of 4438 Old 06-08-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but I tried using the Disney WOW Blu-ray with a PS4 and could not get the Ideal White adjustment to save my life. The best I could get it was in the +4% range. It turns out that the problem wasn't the TV but with the PS4. I hooked up my PS3 and had no problems getting the settings to work. Also, with the PS4, the audio sync test was off when compared with using the PS3. Thought I'd mention it in case it hasn't already been. I'll have to try the PS4 on another TV before I can confirm if it's a unique issue to the 65W850A or not.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3526 of 4438 Old 06-08-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchFury View Post

I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but I tried using the Disney WOW Blu-ray with a PS4 and could not get the Ideal White adjustment to save my life. The best I could get it was in the +4% range. It turns out that the problem wasn't the TV but with the PS4. I hooked up my PS3 and had no problems getting the settings to work. Also, with the PS4, the audio sync test was off when compared with using the PS3. Thought I'd mention it in case it hasn't already been. I'll have to try the PS4 on another TV before I can confirm if it's a unique issue to the 65W850A or not.

have you checked that the ps4 video settings and make sure you're not outputting in rgb?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3527 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

have you checked that the ps4 video settings and make sure you're not outputting in rgb?
I'm pretty sure the PS4 is outputting in RGB but can't be set to YCbCr manually. I remember seeing an advanced option to force the TV to YCbCr, so I will try that. Thanks!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3528 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchFury View Post

I'm pretty sure the PS4 is outputting in RGB but can't be set to YCbCr manually. I remember seeing an advanced option to force the TV to YCbCr, so I will try that. Thanks!

also check the ps3 super white setting....
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3529 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 AM

Liked: 16
I appreciate all the help with the advise in this thread. My issues with flashlighting and the 2 dark lines in the panel are driving me crazy and I'm going to exchange for another panel to see if I can get one that is not so pronounced. Having 2 white lines up the sides of the screens in dark scenes or credits rolling just doesn't work for me.

That said, I still cant seem to get the motionflow settings right. With Motionflow set to off the picture looks very 'jerky' when panning horizontally. Every other setting seems to introduce some level of soap opera effect, where film doesn't look like film to my eyes but rather video. I'm wondering if anyone could advise on this and if there are other settings that come into play? I'm unclear on what Cinemotion is along with a few of the other settings.

Hoping I can get this looking right, as stepping up to the F8500 will cost me another $1k minimum.

Thanks for any advise you can give.
WhiteSands likes this.

-kb
post #3530 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade View Post

I appreciate all the help with the advise in this thread. My issues with flashlighting and the 2 dark lines in the panel are driving me crazy and I'm going to exchange for another panel to see if I can get one that is not so pronounced. Having 2 white lines up the sides of the screens in dark scenes or credits rolling just doesn't work for me.

That said, I still cant seem to get the motionflow settings right. With Motionflow set to off the picture looks very 'jerky' when panning horizontally. Every other setting seems to introduce some level of soap opera effect, where film doesn't look like film to my eyes but rather video. I'm wondering if anyone could advise on this and if there are other settings that come into play? I'm unclear on what Cinemotion is along with a few of the other settings.

Hoping I can get this looking right, as stepping up to the F8500 will cost me another $1k minimum.

Quite honestly if you could spend another 1k I would go for the F8500. It has perfect uniformity and perfect blacks.

WhiteSands likes this.
post #3531 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 11:50 AM

I just received my replacement today and have to say I am happy with this set. The banding is still there but not as noticeable as before. When I was playing Watch Dogs on my PS4 I could see the banding every time I moved around and now I don't. When I first got it I was shocked to see a huge white circle when the screen turned black. I was about to call Sony and ask for another replacement. It looked like somebody splashed white paint on my screen. I read online that wiping the affected area with a cloth towards the end of screen could fix it. So I did just that and to amazement the huge white circle went away. I'm pretty happy now.

post #3532 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Liked: 17
Are the LED's on this set on the top and bottom or the sides?
post #3533 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneguy View Post

Are the LED's on this set on the top and bottom or the sides?

This is a EDGE lit LED set so the LEDs are on each side. The long vertical strip of Triluminos filters sits just in front of the LEDs on each side of the screen. All the TV's have seen lately at our local Walmart all are edge lit as this gives the picture somewhat deeper blacks. The S-PVA panel in this W850a set is designed to have deeper blacks than most sets. Add in the brilliant Triluminos colors and you end up with a great looking picture.
post #3534 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

This is a EDGE lit LED set so the LEDs are on each side. The long vertical strip of Triluminos filters sits just in front of the LEDs on each side of the screen. All the TV's I see lately at our local Walmart all are edge lit as this gives the picture somewhat deeper blacks. The S-PVA panel in this W850a set is designed to have deeper blacks than most sets. Add in it's brilliant Triluminos colors and you end up with a great looking picture.

Do any of the 2014 Sony TV's use the S-PVA panel? I don't think the W950B (W850A equivalent) does.
post #3535 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkuza View Post

I just received my replacement today and have to say I am happy with this set. The banding is still there but not as noticeable as before. When I was playing Watch Dogs on my PS4 I could see the banding every time I moved around and now I don't. When I first got it I was shocked to see a huge white circle when the screen turned black. I was about to call Sony and ask for another replacement. It looked like somebody splashed white paint on my screen. I read online that wiping the affected area with a cloth towards the end of screen could fix it. So I did just that and to amazement the huge white circle went away. I'm pretty happy now.
Glad to see the replacement looks better. Haven't gotten mine yet so I'm hoping its better as well.
post #3536 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade View Post

What are you referring to in regards to the 2 white lines? Are you referring to how the screen will brighten up on the sides on a dark screen when something bright geys displayed in the middle?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3537 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan22 View Post

Glad to see the replacement looks better. Haven't gotten mine yet so I'm hoping its better as well.

This set is from April 2014 if you are curious. 

WhiteSands likes this.
post #3538 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:

This set is from April 2014 if you are curious. 
My current set is a March build date. So far I think the April build dates are holding up well. Good luck. Keep me posted if you don't mind as to how good the set is still doing in the future.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3539 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Quite honestly if you could spend another 1k I would go for the F8500. It has perfect uniformity and perfect blacks.

Understood - and it may come to that. But the energy efficiency and no danger of IR really appeal to me after owning plasma for the last 10 years. Problem is I can't seem to get the image quality and movement right. Hoping the replacement set will solve these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

What are you referring to in regards to the 2 white lines? Are you referring to how the screen will brighten up on the sides on a dark screen when something bright geys displayed in the middle?

Not really, see this post for my poor screenshot:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3420#post_24786177

It looks like someone has a flashlight shining upwards from both sides of the screen at 1/3 and 2/3 the way through the screen. This also seems to be related to the 2 dark bands I see in some content which are right beside these light points. Screen uniformity?

These 2 issues and the lack of realistic motion (to my eyes) are what I'm having the biggest problem with. The colors however are stunning, and the brightness in the day is much nicer than my old ST50 panasonic.
WhiteSands likes this.

-kb
post #3540 of 4438 Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM

Liked: 12
I've had my 65w850a for a week now. I have to say I'm not impressed at all at this stage. My 5 yo 46" Sony is still on the wall and I never had a moments problem with it from day one. Superb colour and sharpness. The new 65" is sitting on a cabinet in front of the old one and the difference in picture quality is chalk and cheese, The 65, when good, is very good, which is mainly studio shots but with most TV programmes the colour is erratic and I'm always having to adjust it without total success.
I have tried Whitesands' settings which everyone seems to agree is best as well as Sound and Vision and HDTVtest and none of them seem to work perfectly. The main problem seems to be that the picture is just on the dark side of neutral and if I try to turn the brightness up it goes cloudy and I lose contrast. I watched a well known TV programme last night and it had a green tinge all the way through yet something in the studio was spot on. Also outside broadcasts can be very soft and sometimes downright blurry.
I'm getting really frustrated and wonder if I've got a dodgy set. I've heard about this clouding issue but thought people were just having problems adjusting their set.
I consider myself reasonably capable of making adjustments and tried every combination so far as well as leaving it on default and making very minor tweaks instead of major ones.
If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them before I start complaining to Sony
Thanks
WhiteSands likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page