Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 121 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 119  120  121 122  123  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Sony 65W850a reviews
Stoneguy's Avatar Stoneguy 12:23 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoucette View Post
My build date sticker shows November 2013. I can't see any issues with the tv except around the outer edge all around it seems slightly darker. I'm talking a quarter inch width all around the screen. Anyone know if this is something to be wary of, I have to look for it to see it...
If that's your only issue consider yourself fortunate. White Sands has an ice rub technique that might alleviate your dark edges. As for myself, as much as I love my TV for blu-ray and network TV, I hate it for sports. The banding is just too distracting. I was watching a little of the US Open (golf) over the weekend and whenever the camera panned the fairways and greens the banding reared it's ugly head. It was awful. I'm going to exchange for another W850a because there is so much that's good about this TV, and hope the screen uniformity is better.

andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 01:00 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneguy View Post
If that's your only issue consider yourself fortunate. White Sands has an ice rub technique that might alleviate your dark edges. As for myself, as much as I love my TV for blu-ray and network TV, I hate it for sports. The banding is just too distracting. I was watching a little of the US Open (golf) over the weekend and whenever the camera panned the fairways and greens the banding reared it's ugly head. It was awful. I'm going to exchange for another W850a because there is so much that's good about this TV, and hope the screen uniformity is better.
I know that every tv is different but I pretty much fixed any banding issues by using whitesands Vivid settings, then set brightness to 48 and color to 29, backlight and picture to max andcolor temp to cool. See if that makes a difference. This also gave me my best blacks.0
Stoneguy's Avatar Stoneguy 01:15 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I know that every tv is different but I pretty much fixed any banding issues by using whitesands Vivid settings, then set brightness to 48 and color to 29, backlight and picture to max andcolor temp to cool. See if that makes a difference. This also gave me my best blacks.0
I can try those settings and see how they work for sports. For regular TV and blu ray the standard settings are beautiful. No complaints.
WhiteSands's Avatar WhiteSands 02:04 PM 06-17-2014
This is a screen shot from my TV back when I had the On LED indicator turned off in January. The indicator used to be to bright. One of the updates may have dimmed it enough that I turned it back on and have used it ever since.


tkataria's Avatar tkataria 05:37 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
So i pulled the trigger on the KDL65W850A on Amazon.com Should arrive June 30th. It was a tough decision between this and the 65X850A 4K set that was only about $700 more. But I have seen nothing but positive on the W850A on here, cnet, and amazon.
Hi, Does Amazon carries new piece of this TV? I was just wondering as I was also looking on Amazon and they just have used ones. Thanks
VladDracule 05:43 PM 06-17-2014
So is the w850a model better than the 850b? Im in the process of trying to find a TV and the 65" w850a is cheaper than any of the 55" 2014 models which seem to get disappointing reviewsQuick Reply
skriefal's Avatar skriefal 06:53 PM 06-17-2014
Anyone else get a firmware update yesterday? As usual there's no mention of the update yet on Sony's support site.
skriefal's Avatar skriefal 07:54 PM 06-17-2014
Still enjoying my KDL65W850A. But I've stopped using the built-in apps, because they require the use of HDMI ARC to get the audio to my Onkyo TX-NR3010 AVR. ARC seems to be rather flaky, with the TV sometimes failing to recognize the AVR and therefore turning on its internal speakers when it shouldn't... resulting in tinny sound. Of course I don't know whether the AVR or the TV is the (ir)responsible party here.

There has been at least 2 firmware updates since the last time I tried ARC. Perhaps I should try it again.
bodean's Avatar bodean 10:49 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
Still enjoying my KDL65W850A. But I've stopped using the built-in apps, because they require the use of HDMI ARC to get the audio to my Onkyo TX-NR3010 AVR. ARC seems to be rather flaky, with the TV sometimes failing to recognize the AVR and therefore turning on its internal speakers when it shouldn't... resulting in tinny sound. Of course I don't know whether the AVR or the TV is the (ir)responsible party here.

There has been at least 2 firmware updates since the last time I tried ARC. Perhaps I should try it again.
I'm hoping the apps work fine with my HDMI setup to my Denon receiver. Don't really want to use an ARC or optical cable.
bodean's Avatar bodean 10:51 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkataria View Post
Hi, Does Amazon carries new piece of this TV? I was just wondering as I was also looking on Amazon and they just have used ones. Thanks
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL65W850...rds=KDL65W850A
DSquare's Avatar DSquare 12:17 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
I'm hoping the apps work fine with my HDMI setup to my Denon receiver. Don't really want to use an ARC or optical cable.
I just hooked this up to a Denon X2000 and had issues at first. I don't know if it was me or the receiver since this is my first time using ARC. I also didn't know what to expect using ARC. After unplugging all the hdmi cables except from the tv I was finally able to get results. I then plugged the rest of the hdmi cables and all is working perfectly now (atleast I think it is).

Receiver turns on and off automatically when the tv turns on and off
Receiver automatically switches to tv audio when TV apps are being used and switches back to my cable box when I exit the apps.
aguilafan's Avatar aguilafan 12:20 PM 06-18-2014
I finally made the plunge and ordered this TV and it should be here next week. I'm very excited to start gaming on this set.

In the meantime, WhiteSands, would it be possible for you to PM me your display settings so that I can configure the TV for the best picture possible?

Thanks!
JBrown2292's Avatar JBrown2292 12:40 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguilafan View Post
I finally made the plunge and ordered this TV and it should be here next week. I'm very excited to start gaming on this set.

In the meantime, WhiteSands, would it be possible for you to PM me your display settings so that I can configure the TV for the best picture possible?

Thanks!
Congrats man! I just got mine and played FIFA 14 on the PS4 with Whitesands Vivid settings and boy let me tell you it blew my hair back! The colors are just absolutely insane on this TV! The TV with the stand is just absolutely gorgeous when it's setup. I seriously felt like a kid at Christmas when unboxing it and setting it up. I'd like to give a big shout out to Whitesands for his settings too. Talk about a guy who is committed to helping others get full enjoyment from this TV and help with the resale value. You're a solid dude and I appreciate your help!
WhiteSands's Avatar WhiteSands 02:36 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown2292 View Post
Congrats man! I just got mine and played FIFA 14 on the PS4 with Whitesands Vivid settings and boy let me tell you it blew my hair back! The colors are just absolutely insane on this TV! The TV with the stand is just absolutely gorgeous when it's setup. I seriously felt like a kid at Christmas when unboxing it and setting it up. I'd like to give a big shout out to Whitesands for his settings too. Talk about a guy who is committed to helping others get full enjoyment from this TV and help with the resale value. You're a solid dude and I appreciate your help!
Thanks for you kind comments. I was more than happy to have helped you with your new set.

WS
kakashi08's Avatar kakashi08 03:45 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Thanks for you kind comments. I was more than happy to have helped you with your new set.

WS
WhiteSands can you PM me the settings everyone's talking about? I'm about to get the same TV
Pyrraxe 05:19 PM 06-18-2014
Whitesands hook me up with those settings too !!! I get my TV in 2 days.
dizbepolo 05:42 PM 06-18-2014
Whitesands, can you please PM me your settings too? Thanks so much!
rsray's Avatar rsray 06:15 PM 06-18-2014
I just picked the tv up today. I am coming from a samsung dlp that I loved. Still playing around with the settings, there are so many more then my samsung had. Whitesands could you send me your settings please? Thanks
WhiteSands's Avatar WhiteSands 07:13 PM 06-18-2014
All sent out including a few others requesting by PM. If anybody didn't get their's please let me know.
WhiteSands's Avatar WhiteSands 07:19 PM 06-18-2014
Screen shot from from my set.


steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:31 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Screen shot from from my set.


I watched Gravity in 3D the other night on my W9 and while the plot was so so in my opinion the 3D was excellent. If you get the chance WS I would check it out on your 850.
WhiteSands's Avatar WhiteSands 07:47 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I watched Gravity in 3D the other night on my W9 and while the plot was so so in my opinion the 3D was excellent. If you get the chance WS I would check it out on your 850.
I saw Gravity 3D on my set and yes, it really looked great.
otooled 08:39 PM 06-18-2014
Thanks for the settings WhiteSands. The picture looks even more amazing
Maven25 10:20 PM 06-18-2014
Does anyone have a good suggestion for articulating wall mount for this TV?
retro124's Avatar retro124 10:34 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
The only question I have is why is Sony releasing the W850A when its pretty much the same as the W900A? Make's no sense to me.
Well here is actualy make sence. W850A model is 65" and W900A is only 55" TV and it is importand for many people. Talking about make no sense to Tv's how about how many non importand models are on market. It is just about fill market with as much as possible. So many companies like Samsung and Sharp make those stupid models for Best buy and other retailers so it is so hard to find out good TV in those days!!!! All those Best buy models missing a lot of future a specially on Black friday it is terible.
Maven25 10:37 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
All sent out including a few others requesting by PM. If anybody didn't get their's please let me know.
Could I have them too, please?
vnshah 11:47 PM 06-18-2014
WhiteSands, just bought this beast of a tv today, safe to say I'm stoked! I'm also a complete newb at tv calibration. I watch a lot of sports, FIFA (go USA!) right now, and watch a love of actions movies. What are the optimal settings for that kind of viewing?

Thanks for your help!

V
vnshah 11:48 PM 06-18-2014
WhiteSands, just bought this beast of a tv today, safe to say I'm stoked! I'm also a complete newb at tv calibration. I watch a lot of sports, FIFA (go USA!) right now, and watch a love of actions movies. What are the optimal settings for that kind of viewing?

Thanks for your help!

V
c.mos's Avatar c.mos 05:31 AM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
All sent out including a few others requesting by PM. If anybody didn't get their's please let me know.
Hi WhiteSands, I've been using your settings from an earlier post but it would be great if you could PM me your latest version so that I can make sure I'm up to date. Also, could you please send me details of the frozen towel trick? My TV looks pretty good, but the edges are a little darker than the rest of the picture and it's kind of distracting. THANKS!
Seahawksfan74 08:08 AM 06-19-2014
Thank you WS for you're settings, they are amazing. Go Hawks
Tags: Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
First ... 119  120  121 122  123  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop