Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 383Likes

Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.mos View Post
Hi WhiteSands, I've been using your settings from an earlier post but it would be great if you could PM me your latest version so that I can make sure I'm up to date. Also, could you please send me details of the frozen towel trick? My TV looks pretty good, but the edges are a little darker than the rest of the picture and it's kind of distracting. THANKS!
WS: You have a newer version? If you don't mind, please send it to me as well? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
65w850a vs 65w950b

Folks any one has done comparison between the 2? I realize 950b is 2014 model and more expensive but am wondering if it is worth paying the extra. All I care about is picture quality.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivpar View Post
Folks any one has done comparison between the 2? I realize 950b is 2014 model and more expensive but am wondering if it is worth paying the extra. All I care about is picture quality.
I think that the 950b uses a different screen. I prefer the 850a's screen.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
A popular Frenchman did a detailed review on the W950B set. He gave it poor marks for it's low blacks and even the Triluminos colors weren't as good as the W850a set.

Andy is right, the W850a set uses the S-PVA panel that's known for it's deep blacks.

The W950b set uses a S-IRS panel that may have a slightly wider angle but you loose much of the deep blacks as a trade out. This same French reviewer mentioned at the end of his review, why not buy the W850a set a 2013 model that has a much better blacks and color and at a lower price.
JBrown2292 likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 06-19-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
A popular Frenchman did a detailed review on the W950B set. He gave it poor marks for it's low blacks and even the Triluminos colors weren't as good as the W850a set.

Andy is right, the W850a set uses the S-PVA panel that's known for it's deep blacks.

The W950b set uses a S-IRS panel that may have a slightly wider angle but you loose much of the deep blacks as a trade out. This same French reviewer mentioned at the end of his review, why not buy the W850a set a 2013 model that has a much better blacks and color and at a lower price.
link to this review?

WS: How about posting your settings for all of us that admire your picture...

Thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks White Sands. Out of curiosity, the new Vizio E and M Series seem to be garnering CNET's attention primarily due to the Vizio's full array feature. Have you had a chance to look at the 2014 Vizio? At this point my decision is between 850a and Vizio.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I see the tv received an update today ... and one a few weeks ago. Does anyone know how to obtain the patch/firmware notes?
Old 06-19-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too just joined the Sony 65W850a club today.

While I do believe the future is 4k, the technology is just too expensive right now with too little viable content to warrant going that route. I'll likely have the opportunity to add another display in 1-2 years and hopefully the 4k options will be more compelling.

BB is holding my unit at the warehouse for another 4-6 weeks until our new house is finished. There are now only 34 units left in the Dallas-Ft Worth region and I was worried if I didn't reserve one now, they might be gone forever.

Look forward to sharing the experience! Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post
link to this review?

Thanks
They have been posted for some time now. Try looking at Post #3375 .
Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
link to this review?

Thanks
I prefer those wanting my settings to send me a PM asking for them. I also like to keep count of how many I have sent out which is now up to 225 copies.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle76092 View Post
I too just joined the Sony 65W850a club today.

While I do believe the future is 4k, the technology is just too expensive right now with too little viable content to warrant going that route. I'll likely have the opportunity to add another display in 1-2 years and hopefully the 4k options will be more compelling.

BB is holding my unit at the warehouse for another 4-6 weeks until our new house is finished. There are now only 34 units left in the Dallas-Ft Worth region and I was worried if I didn't reserve one now, they might be gone forever.

Look forward to sharing the experience! Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
No doubt improved 4K technology in time will be a big thing with the future 85" and up to 125" sets come out. Hopefully these sets would be more affordable due to improved technology.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Really like my set. Have a bdp s590.any advantage to either a s790 or s6200? Also thinking of maybe an Xbox one as a hub although I don't game. Any info would be appreciated.
Howard
Old 06-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks White Sands. Out of curiosity, the new Vizio E and M Series seem to be garnering CNET's attention primarily due to the Vizio's full array feature. Have you had a chance to look at the 2014 Vizio? At this point my decision is between 850a and Vizio.
I doubt Vizio's full array would have the same quality of deep blacks as this Sony W850a set has. All the sets I know of for 2013 and 2014 are edge lit to include rather deep blacks. This Sony set uses a special panel known for it's deep blacks. Add in the Triluminos filter for brilliant colors and the ultra bright edge lit LEDs then you got one fantastic picture to look at.
sivpar and nmasi324 like this.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I doubt Vizio's full array would have the same quality of deep blacks as this Sony W850a set has. All the sets I know of for 2013 and 2014 are edge lit to include rather deep blacks. This Sony set uses a special panel known for it's deep blacks. Add in the Triluminos filter for brilliant colors and the ultra bright edge lit LEDs then you got one fantastic picture to look at.
I spent time at both Costco and BB looking at the Vizio M TV. It doesn't even compare to our Sony... Not sure what Cnet is basing their review on...
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Guys,
I don't know what is the best setup, and was hopeful some of you guys can give me the best configuration.

Current:
HTPC XBMC into Sony Amp via HDMI
Foxtel Cable into Sony Amp via HDMI
XBOX360 into Sony Amp via HDMI
PS4 into Sony Amp via HDMI
AppleTV in HDMI3 of Sony TV
Sony Amp in HDMI1 of Sony TV
Wii in Composite of TV
Optical Out of Sony TV To Amp, used for TV Audio and Wii

This was my previous configuration when I had my old XBR Sony and all worked well via universal Harmony remote. This was chosen as the TV optical out only supported 2ch.

The W850A supports full audio pass through of the inputs (unless I have this wrong?). Would it be better to plug the common devices I use like HTPC, PS4 and Foxtel Cable directly into the Sony TV? Thinking about the Bravia Sync capabilities.

Is there an advantage to keep it they way it is or change it to directly connected?

Looking for the fastest switching and best quality

Thanks in advance, appreciate any comments or recommendations
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanlivedit View Post
I see the tv received an update today ... and one a few weeks ago. Does anyone know how to obtain the patch/firmware notes?

They usually show up on Sony's support site eventually. But you may need to wait a few weeks... or longer. The next firmware release might even be available before the release notes are posted for this release.
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Reply update:
Tonight my wife and I went to walmart for groceries. Naturally you can find me roaming the TV department comparing the new sets. I see they got in some new Vizio's with the full-array display.

Just lucky I found three 46" sets in a row with the Vizio in the middle. To the left was a new LG set and to the right a new Sony W-series set, all 46" screen sizes. I spent about 10 minutes comparing the color and blacks and edge sharpness.

The Vizio's blacks looked good, but could not match the Sony set. I also noticed the Sony set had better color and also a more detailed picture then the Vizio. The LG did rather good and was just a little behind this 2014 Sony set which did not include the triluminos feature.

The Sanyo sets had low priced sets and makes a good picture and color, but I did see some motion blur at times when showing some fast moving football clips. Still for the price Sanyo is not that bad of a TV set.

Many here may not know that Sanyo is actually a older company than Sony and Panasonic. All three of these companies are considered quality manufactures located in Japan. Consumer Reports magazine said not long ago that the Japanese TV manufactures had the fewest repairs. This was in one of their magazine articles, maybe the November 2013 issue showing the new TV sets.

Panasonic, may come on strong to compete with Sony's Triluminos color and picture quality. This is why i'm looking forward to Sony's 2015 sets shown in January at the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas. During that week their is lots of online information from the show. I hope we will see Sony with another outstanding 1080p set. That is if they and the other companies don't all go to 4K sets in the larger screen sizes.
sivpar likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 06-20-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

This is a older screen shot I have never posted. Canada must be one beautiful place to live.

steve1971, jdoucette and nmasi324 like this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 06-20-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
They usually show up on Sony's support site eventually. But you may need to wait a few weeks... or longer. The next firmware release might even be available before the release notes are posted for this release.

Thank you.

I find this to be so ridiculous in this day and age of information-with software continuously being patched ... Patch notes are basically a given. It's so stupid Sony can't post something ... especially because how much we paid for this television!
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The quantity of these tvs seems to be dwindling down. Im trying to make up my mind between this and 2014 vizio m, and of course the 65 inch vizio aent availble yet, so i dont know what to do
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I spent time at both Costco and BB looking at the Vizio M TV. It doesn't even compare to our Sony... Not sure what Cnet is basing their review on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jacobs View Post
The quantity of these tvs seems to be dwindling down. Im trying to make up my mind between this and 2014 vizio m, and of course the 65 inch vizio aent availble yet, so i dont know what to do
Which model are you looking at?
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3995 Post(s)
Liked: 3184
The Sony measures .006 when you turn Dynamic Control off (this shuts off LEDs when full black screen is shown). The E and M series measure .001 which is what CNET saw. looking at the Sony, Vizio or any TV for that matter and passing judgment based on the horrible settings and feeds used at any store will make your TV look better, because you have adjusted to what you like and the TVs there are "basic" and in harsh conditions. Ive been looking at all 3 sets recently, so no bias here. Ive seen some very good thing on this (W850a) here, but sometimes we tend to look and highlight the flaws of sets that "challenge" then ones we own

Quote:
Quote:
Reply update:
Tonight my wife and I went to walmart for groceries. Naturally you can find me roaming the TV department comparing the new sets. I see they got in some new Vizio's with the full-array display.

Just lucky I found three 46" sets in a row with the Vizio in the middle. To the left was a new LG set and to the right a new Sony W-series set, all 46" screen sizes. I spent about 10 minutes comparing the color and blacks and edge sharpness.

The Vizio's blacks looked good, but could not match the Sony set. I also noticed the Sony set had better color and also a more detailed picture then the Vizio. The LG did rather good and was just a little behind this 2014 Sony set which did not include the triluminos feature.

The Sanyo sets had low priced sets and makes a good picture and color, but I did see some motion blur at times when showing some fast moving football clips. Still for the price Sanyo is not that bad of a TV set.

Many here may not know that Sanyo is actually a older company than Sony and Panasonic. All three of these companies are considered quality manufactures located in Japan. Consumer Reports magazine said not long ago that the Japanese TV manufactures had the fewest repairs. This was in one of their magazine articles, maybe the November 2013 issue showing the new TV sets.

Panasonic, may come on strong to compete with Sony's Triluminos color and picture quality. This is why i'm looking forward to Sony's 2015 sets shown in January at the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas. During that week their is lots of online information from the show. I hope we will see Sony with another outstanding 1080p set. That is if they and the other companies don't all go to 4K sets in the larger screen sizes.
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The Sony measures .006 when you turn Dynamic Control off (this shuts off LEDs when full black screen is shown). The E and M series measure .001 which is what CNET saw. looking at the Sony, Vizio or any TV for that matter and passing judgment based on the horrible settings and feeds used at any store will make your TV look better, because you have adjusted to what you like and the TVs there are "basic" and in harsh conditions. Ive been looking at all 3 sets recently, so no bias here. Ive seen some very good thing on this (W850a) here, but sometimes we tend to look and highlight the flaws of sets that "challenge" then ones we own

All I have to say is that when I looked at the two TV's the Vizio did not have the depth and colors of sony... Not even close. I double checked all settings on the both TV's.
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Which model are you looking at?
M series,
WhiteSands and sivpar like this.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3995 Post(s)
Liked: 3184
Quote:
All I have to say is that when I looked at the two TV's the Vizio did not have the depth and colors of sony... Not even close. I double checked all settings on the both TV's.

What settings did you use? did you calibrate both to the D65 standard? if they were just "basic" mode settings, its hard to make any determination on top of the store setting with he bright lights. People asked what CNET saw, they saw a calibrated picture on both the E and the M that impressed them for the price you pay for either set. Both are at least a few hundred cheaper (on average) than the 850a as well. We each have our own personal view of what we look for and what appeals to us for a TV (that's whats great about having so many choices). In the end all that matters is that your happy with your purchase, it doesn't matter what reviews say or others say, if your happy that's all you can ask for.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I hAve seen the both together at best buy. The w9(0b looks like there is a light haze on the screen. Could not adjust it out. The blacks are not that good. I also do like the design of the wedge.

I contacted sony tech and they told me that the contrast and blacks are not as good as the w850a because of the lg panel used but it has a slightly wider viewing angle.

I prefer the deep blacks it gives the picture on the w850a much better punch and depth.
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:00 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hey,

Got and setup the TV last night and wow, what a picture. I tried many of the calibration settings posted here (including WS), but the General/Standard default settings that come with this set are really well calibrated and other settings just seem to wash it out for me...I think if your using limited color space (16-235) as your sources (mine is dish and htpc running xbmc), then those settings don't need to be adjusted...this is the first TV where I have not had to calibrate the settings.

FYI, the pictures here don't do the tv justice...you have to see a well authored blu-ray (avengers looks amazing).

Take Care
WhiteSands likes this.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:05 AM

Liked: 10
Motionflow Impulse Backlight Strobe

Are there any owners of the 65w850a in here who can tell me if the Motionflow setting can be set to Impulse while also having Scene Select set to Game?

Does Motionflow Impulse mode work properly on this TV? I read that Sony ruined the Impulse mode a while back on some (all?) of their TV models in a firmware update by forcing frame interpolation to on, instead of just strobing the backlight (or is it black frame insertion?):

Sony's new interpolation-free "Motionflow Impulse" is low-lag, and great for HTPC gaming.

I'm tantalized by the idea of a large TV such as this with low input lag combined with a strobing backlight (or BFI?) to eliminate retinal motion blur while gaming.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMcC View Post
Are there any owners of the 65w850a in here who can tell me if the Motionflow setting can be set to Impulse while also having Scene Select set to Game?

Does Motionflow Impulse mode work properly on this TV? I read that Sony ruined the Impulse mode a while back on some (all?) of their TV models in a firmware update by forcing frame interpolation to on, instead of just strobing the backlight (or is it black frame insertion?):

Sony's new interpolation-free "Motionflow Impulse" is low-lag, and great for HTPC gaming.

I'm tantalized by the idea of a large TV such as this with low input lag combined with a strobing backlight (or BFI?) to eliminate retinal motion blur while gaming.
Yes it does!

Its not perfect though. There is a bit of flicker ( which I can adjust to ) and the picture is quite dim. I use it in a light controlled evironmet , so that helps some with the dimming.

I will also say that I do notice uniformity issues (DSE) a bit more than usual on certain games when in game mode with impulse on. I think though that has to do with the dimness. If I turn impulse off it not as noticeable. No TV is perfect though, so I'm not going to complain too much.

All in all though I do feel that this is the best gaming set on the market ( and the 900a ). And probably the best all around set for people like me where 2/3 usage is gaming and the rest movies and general TV watching. Certainly the best value!
WhiteSands likes this.

Last edited by guvadc; 06-21-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My TV is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday and I was wondering if a current owner could help me out. I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I use with my iPad for when I Netflix a movie late at night. Does this TV have the capability of streaming audio to them? Or do I need to purchase a separate Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the headphone jack of the 65W850A for this to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led