Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 123 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3661 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Motionflow Impulse Backlight Strobe

Are there any owners of the 65w850a in here who can tell me if the Motionflow setting can be set to Impulse while also having Scene Select set to Game?

Does Motionflow Impulse mode work properly on this TV? I read that Sony ruined the Impulse mode a while back on some (all?) of their TV models in a firmware update by forcing frame interpolation to on, instead of just strobing the backlight (or is it black frame insertion?):

Sony's new interpolation-free "Motionflow Impulse" is low-lag, and great for HTPC gaming.

I'm tantalized by the idea of a large TV such as this with low input lag combined with a strobing backlight (or BFI?) to eliminate retinal motion blur while gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMcC View Post
Are there any owners of the 65w850a in here who can tell me if the Motionflow setting can be set to Impulse while also having Scene Select set to Game?

Does Motionflow Impulse mode work properly on this TV? I read that Sony ruined the Impulse mode a while back on some (all?) of their TV models in a firmware update by forcing frame interpolation to on, instead of just strobing the backlight (or is it black frame insertion?):

Sony's new interpolation-free "Motionflow Impulse" is low-lag, and great for HTPC gaming.

I'm tantalized by the idea of a large TV such as this with low input lag combined with a strobing backlight (or BFI?) to eliminate retinal motion blur while gaming.
Yes it does!

Its not perfect though. There is a bit of flicker ( which I can adjust to ) and the picture is quite dim. I use it in a light controlled evironmet , so that helps some with the dimming.

I will also say that I do notice uniformity issues (DSE) a bit more than usual on certain games when in game mode with impulse on. I think though that has to do with the dimness. If I turn impulse off it not as noticeable. No TV is perfect though, so I'm not going to complain too much.

All in all though I do feel that this is the best gaming set on the market ( and the 900a ). And probably the best all around set for people like me where 2/3 usage is gaming and the rest movies and general TV watching. Certainly the best value!
WhiteSands likes this.

Last edited by guvadc; 06-21-2014 at 05:24 AM.
post #3663 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My TV is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday and I was wondering if a current owner could help me out. I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I use with my iPad for when I Netflix a movie late at night. Does this TV have the capability of streaming audio to them? Or do I need to purchase a separate Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the headphone jack of the 65W850A for this to work?
post #3664 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I hAve seen the both together at best buy. The w9(0b looks like there is a light haze on the screen. Could not adjust it out. The blacks are not that good. I also do like the design of the wedge.

I contacted sony tech and they told me that the contrast and blacks are not as good as the w850a because of the lg panel used but it has a slightly wider viewing angle.

I prefer the deep blacks it gives the picture on the w850a much better punch and depth.

Correction:

I do not like the wedge[/B] design[/U][/B] of the 65W950B. I also noted that sony dod not do the wedge design on all of their sets. The X850B 4k series doe not have the wedde style.
post #3665 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguilafan View Post
My TV is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday and I was wondering if a current owner could help me out. I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I use with my iPad for when I Netflix a movie late at night. Does this TV have the capability of streaming audio to them? Or do I need to purchase a separate Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the headphone jack of the 65W850A for this to work?
I looked quickly but I do not see any settings related to bluetooth related streaming. Only settings I could find relate to what happens to the audio when a headphone jack is plugged in.
post #3666 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I seem to be getter stutter/judder when there is panning on the screen side to side. This shows up on cable and blu-rays (example Pacific Rim). This involves people moving and the screen information stuttering, it stops after the motion of the camera stops. I just received a replacement from Sony and I did not see this on the previous set. It may have existed on the previous set but could have been very minor. Any suggestions?
post #3667 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I seem to be getting stutter/judder when there is panning on the screen side to side. This shows up on cable and blu-rays (example Pacific Rim). This involves people moving and the screen information stuttering, it stops after the motion of the camera stops. I just received a replacement from Sony and I did not see this on the previous set. It may have existed on the previous set but could have been very minor. Any suggestions?
I never see any judder on my screen. I used Sony's default motionflow setting, 'standard' on all three picture-modes.

You might improve any judder or other screen problems by putting in Cnets, 5 noise filters to off settings. Cnet calls it 5-ways to improve your TV picture.
I include these with my settings which I sent to you a while back.
post #3668 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

An older screen shot from my TV.

post #3669 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I ordered this tv today at best buy. I got them to price match frys price of 1499. Getting it delivered in two weeks when we move. The guy said I got one of the last ones in the warehouse. Glad I went today. On best buys website description it says the tv comes with a free year of Netflix and Hulu plus. Is that true? I don't see that advertised anywhere else
post #3670 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 07:19 PM

Liked: 21
So I finally got to play around with the settings on my new tv and I have to say that I'm pretty shocked with the clouding I'm seeing. I haven't tested a blu-ray, but I've tested 1080p mp4 files like Harry Potter, etc. I took a pic from the menu and while the camera emphasizes the issues, you can see the one just off center and to the lower right corner. Will it get better? The price was great, but I don't want to see those while watching dark content all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0621142211a.jpg (94.3 KB, 61 views)
Derbel likes this.
post #3671 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 07:40 PM

Liked: 21
Ok....so even from the time I posted I've played with it more and made an interesting discovery. I gently massaged the area with a super soft microfiber cloth and had a significant improvement on the affected areas. Also, and this goes against everything I had read to do, but I found I had more consistent and uniform black levels by turning on scene sync and the light sensor. You can still see a pretty good illuminated area (blooming) around the play/pause button while it's on the screen, but other than that, it's looking much better. About how much blooming is considered normal vs excessive?
post #3672 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper04468 View Post
Ok....so even from the time I posted I've played with it more and made an interesting discovery. I gently massaged the area with a super soft microfiber cloth and had a significant improvement on the affected areas. Also, and this goes against everything I had read to do, but I found I had more consistent and uniform black levels by turning on scene sync and the light sensor. You can still see a pretty good illuminated area (blooming) around the play/pause button while it's on the screen, but other than that, it's looking much better. About how much blooming is considered normal vs excessive?
I have read where a few have used the microfiber cloth to rub over their screen and see some improvement. When my set was about a month old I cleaned my TV screen using a rather expensive non-alcohol cleaner and microfiber cloth. I didn't see any picture improvement though. Could be the cloth removes some standing static electricity over the screen.

I never seen any blooming or clouding on my set as long as I have a good HD signal input to the TV, or while playing a blu ray disk.

You mention the light sensor. That may be the ECO 'room light sensor' which is On by default. With it Off the LEDs run a twice their normal brightness and for sure will will see some clouding.

The blooming around the on-screen indicator for the play/pause button. That sounds normal if you have the brightness set other than 50 or very near it. The room light sensor set to off, will sure cause the white bleeding your seeing around the white text.

You might try setting Vivid back to default and any other setting that's not at default. Then check to see if you still have the light bleed around the white text.
post #3673 of 4374 Old 06-21-2014, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So I got this from best buy for $1799
And just realized I could've done the price match from frys for $1499.
It's only been 2 days.
Will they price match it if I go back since I can technically return the product right? And if yes do I have to go to the same bb or any? Cuz I have a diff bb that's closer. I'm too lazy to drive back to the one I got it from Lmaoo
post #3674 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Can someone tell me how the PQ will compare to a LG plasma from 3 years ago? Been looking for a 3D tv but everyone says plasma PQ can't be beat. Also I see that the 70" Sony doesn't have Triluminos, right?
post #3675 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks WhiteSands for sending me your excellent settings. Got the TV all setup the other day and it's looking really good. It has a couple dead pixels in the top right but I can't see them unless my face is right next to the screen. I'm also having issues with connecting my PC to the TV. The PC is outputting 1080p but the picture is larger than the screen for some reason. Anybody have any solutions for this?
post #3676 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi08 View Post
So I got this from best buy for $1799
And just realized I could've done the price match from frys for $1499.
It's only been 2 days.
Will they price match it if I go back since I can technically return the product right? And if yes do I have to go to the same bb or any? Cuz I have a diff bb that's closer. I'm too lazy to drive back to the one I got it from Lmaoo
Do you live near a Fry's?

Check my prev posts regarding this. They would not price match for me.
post #3677 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I want to ask you guys about KDL65w850A TV. I bought for my parents in Dec 2014 KDL55W900A tv and they love it. It was probably the best 55" tv on market. I'm thinking to get KDL65W850A for myself. 55" is small and we have now 60" rear projector tv witch is still pretty good tv. So do you think is good idea to get one of those now or it is better to wait for 4k models. I'm worry from what I'm reading on reviews new models don't have Triluminos displey , 55W900A and 65W850A they both got excellent reviews one of the best, so what you guys think shpuld I wait or get one before all new ones are gone?

And how did you get $1499 price at Fry's they have it now for $3299?

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3

Last edited by retro124; 06-22-2014 at 06:26 AM.
post #3678 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
I want to ask you guys about KDL65w850A TV. I bought for my parents in Dec 2014 KDL55W900A tv and they love it. It was probably the best 55" tv on market. I'm thinking to get KDL65W850A for myself. 55" is small and we have now 60" rear projector tv witch is still pretty good tv. So do you think is good idea to get one of those now or it is better to wait for 4k models. I'm worry from what I'm reading on reviews new models don't have Triluminos displey , 55W900A and 65W850A they both got excellent reviews one of the best, so what you guys think shpuld I wait or get one before all new ones are gone?

And how did you get $1499 price at Fry's they have it now for $3299?
For the Fry's price, you have to log into your account and add to cart and see the price. And yes, get the KDL65w850A, there is not that much 4k content yet anyways, and I just got my KDL65w850A 2 days ago and its gorgeous. I was regretting not buying the w900a, but then again what made me not buy it in the first place was the screen size. I can't have a TV that's under 60.
And get the w850a before it runs out like the w900a did this year.
post #3679 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi08 View Post
For the Fry's price, you have to log into your account and add to cart and see the price. And yes, get the KDL65w850A, there is not that much 4k content yet anyways, and I just got my KDL65w850A 2 days ago and its gorgeous. I was regretting not buying the w900a, but then again what made me not buy it in the first place was the screen size. I can't have a TV that's under 60.
And get the w850a before it runs out like the w900a did this year.
Thanks for response , quick question so you have to pay tax on Fry's so Best Buy match $1499+ tax correct?
post #3680 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 09:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate E View Post
Thanks WhiteSands for sending me your excellent settings. Got the TV all setup the other day and it's looking really good. It has a couple dead pixels in the top right but I can't see them unless my face is right next to the screen. I'm also having issues with connecting my PC to the TV. The PC is outputting 1080p but the picture is larger than the screen for some reason. Anybody have any solutions for this?
Is your GPU ATI based, if so they have a feature called Overscan. It adjusts the screen size, I had to underscan my HTPC for the screen to fit properly.
post #3681 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquare View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by devo96

I was also refused the pricematch but for a different reason when I emailed a screen capture of the Frys price in the cart. Sony indicated they would not match because it was a S.U.R.E. product and S.U.R.E. products are the items that do not qualify for price assurance or discounts from other retailers. Sure enough on Sony's website this television is listed as one of the excluded products to their price assurance policy. They indicated they would only give a price adjustment on the S.U.R.E. products if the price on their website is lowered within 30 days.

Sure enough, I see at the end of the fine print is a link to click to show all the excluded items.
Frys currently has this television on sale again. I decided to look again on Sony's website and discovered that this television was no longer on the list of Non-Discounted Products. Therefore, I sent an email to Sony again requesting a price match as part of their price assurance. I also explained that the model was no longer one of the non discounted items listed and copied their list of non discounted televisions in my email. I sent the email yesterday and again included a screen capture of Frys price. They have accepted my price adjustment and will be crediting the difference. I just wanted to update everyone in case anyone has bought this television from Sony and wants to request a price adjustment. Good luck.
post #3682 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
I have read where a few have used the microfiber cloth to rub over their screen and see some improvement. When my set was about a month old I cleaned my TV screen using a rather expensive non-alcohol cleaner and microfiber cloth. I didn't see any picture improvement though. Could be the cloth removes some standing static electricity over the screen.

I never seen any blooming or clouding on my set as long as I have a good HD signal input to the TV, or while playing a blu ray disk.

You mention the light sensor. That may be the ECO 'room light sensor' which is On by default. With it Off the LEDs run a twice their normal brightness and for sure will will see some clouding.

The blooming around the on-screen indicator for the play/pause button. That sounds normal if you have the brightness set other than 50 or very near it. The room light sensor set to off, will sure cause the white bleeding your seeing around the white text.

You might try setting Vivid back to default and any other setting that's not at default. Then check to see if you still have the light bleed around the white text.
Last night we watched our first 3D movie on the 850a (Pacific Rim). Clouding or flash lighting was very evident and emanated from all four corners reaching almost to the center of the screen. I was using your Vivid settings and also implemented your 3D setting suggestions.
post #3683 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Last night we watched our first 3D movie on the 850a (Pacific Rim). Clouding or flash lighting was very evident and emanated from all four corners reaching almost to the center of the screen. I was using your Vivid settings and also implemented your 3D setting suggestions.
I have no idea why your seeing flash lighting in the 4 corners of your screen. Does your set do this when playing blu ray movies.

Using my setting on Vivid I have never seen any flash lighting or clouding at all in my 8 months of owning my set with or without 3D. I do have the 3D glasses brightness set to Full.

I haven't seen Pacific Rim 3D on my set, but hope to get it soon.

You might try setting the '3D glasses brightness' back to Auto. I also mention this on my settings page in case it didn't work out.
Defcon likes this.
post #3684 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Thanks for response , quick question so you have to pay tax on Fry's so Best Buy match $1499+ tax correct?
Honestly I have no idea. I got mine from best buy, total cost me $1907.99. First TV I ever bought and I love it.
Can't wait for my white ps4 to come in and then **** gets real. Lmaoo.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3685 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hi ws,
i just ordered the 65w850a from frys. it should be here sometime later this week.
can you please pm me the settings to make it the best tv i've ever had the pleasure of viewing?

thanks in advance!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3686 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipeekdl65w850a View Post
hi ws,
i just ordered the 65w850a from frys. it should be here sometime later this week.
can you please pm me the settings to make it the best tv i've ever had the pleasure of viewing?

thanks in advance!
WhiteSands, have just bought this tv and I also sent you a om to request your settings for this tv. Thanks!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3687 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks to WhiteSands for a very quick response, he's just sent me his custom settings and I can't wait to try them out.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3688 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Thanks to WhiteSands for a very quick response, he's just sent me his custom settings and I can't wait to try them out.
He has helped so many on here we ought to Knight him!

Thank you for all your help Sir WhiteSands!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3689 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko View Post
He has helped so many on here we ought to Knight him!

Thank you for all your help Sir WhiteSands!
Seconded! Arise, Ser WhiteSands !!!

(sorry my GoT fever is still running high)
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3690 of 4374 Old 06-22-2014, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
First post - Hi to all!

To begin with, I bought the 850A at Best Buy yesterday for $1799 since it was on sale and I was told the price might change at midnight. Today in the store it's $2294. Thanks to the earlier posts about the sale at Frys I went back to Best Buy today and got $326 credited back to my CC. It was easy. Out the door cost is now $1631.

I had been reading everything I could find about this set since weeks before Amazon ever had them in stock. I knew I would not be buying soon so had plenty of opportunity to research. Over the months I had considered the Samsung 7100/7150 and the 8500 plasma. Recently it was between the 8500 and 850A but then I heard that plasmas can cause a lot of interference with ham radio, and I use most bands.

I currently have a Sharp Aquos 60" that I bought at Costco 4 years ago right after the price dropped $500. It obviously had the best PQ of any set they had around then and I've been very happy with it, except for the urge to go larger. I struggled with my wife to get the sofa/recliner moved forward to within 10' of the screen. I have a compartmented wall that allows for a maximum set size of 65". The Sharp set I now have has excellent blacks, a sharp image and natural colors. With that set being so great in terms of PQ I've had a 'slight' hesitation about choosing the 850A after having read here about numerous possible problems. The set will not be delivered for about 10 more days (my choice) and hopefully I will get a trouble-free sample.

Whitesands: Please PM your latest settings. Thanks.
WhiteSands likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page