Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 125 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3721 of 4421 Old 06-23-2014, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sony.com pricematched for me...feel like I got this TV is a steal at $1500. Will probably be going to Costco to get their 3 year warranty for $89.

Sent a PM to WhiteSands, hopefully I get my TV shipped and have the proper settings all ready to go.

Edit: Thanks for the quick reply Whitesands! All set for when this TV ships
WhiteSands likes this.

Last edited by nmasi324; 06-24-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 4421 Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks Whitesands for sharing the settings.
I'll be getting my TV in the next couple of days.

I'll play with your settings and will share my feedback.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3723 of 4421 Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm not a Costco member, can I still buy the warrant or do I need to join? What if I go with a friend, can I then buy it?
post #3724 of 4421 Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I'm not a Costco member, can I still buy the warrant or do I need to join? What if I go with a friend, can I then buy it?
I believe it would not matter if a friend bought the warranty for you. It would be like a 'gifted' item. And as it says below, the tv can come from any authorized US retailer.

Plan must be bought within 60 days of TV purchase. Costco Members may buy plans for new TVs purchased from a Costco warehouse, Costco.com or any authorized US retailer. Other terms and conditions apply.*
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3725 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
For those who aren't having any success price-matching with Frys I've noticed Best Buy has an online price of $1,699.99 the past few days. They do not let you see this price until it's in your cart and you go to Checkout. The new in-store price locally is $2,294.
jpw16 and WhiteSands like this.
post #3726 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjnaz View Post
For those who aren't having any success price-matching with Frys I've noticed Best Buy has an online price of $1,699.99 the past few days. They do not let you see this price until it's in your cart and you go to Checkout. The new in-store price locally is $2,294.
Yeah, I just tried the fry's pm and wasn't able to get it, but was able to get the best buy pm. Thanks for the heads up!
post #3727 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Usually this happens when you fail to go into the Eco (Home-Preferences- Eco) section and turn OFF the power save option.
Under Preferences and ECO settings. The Light Sensor really dims the picture. I know most user's of other TV's were saying to shut this off. I have had mine on since I bought the TV a couple months ago. I just turned Light Sensor off and to me the picture comes alive and brightens up beautifully. Whitesands I think was saying to keep the Light Sensor on, but I am not so sure. Also by turning Light sensor off you can lower some of your picture settings.
post #3728 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Correct. Turn off the Power Save and leave everything else off that effects the picture. Power Save defaults to the on position which only benefits Sony so it can claim positive power consumption ratings. For the customer it sucks. Sony is not alone here.

FYI, you must be a member of Costco to get the Costco discount from Square Trade. You do not have to be a Costco member to buy the same very good warranty from Square Trade for a slightly but still good price. If you do not buy from Costco (say Amazon) and are a Costco member you still qualify for a member discount but you lose the extra year of warranty that Costco automatically includes with electronic equipment purchases. I think a one year Costco membership starts at $55yr. Their 90 day return policy includes items bought on-line.

Last edited by andy sullivan; 06-24-2014 at 09:17 AM.
post #3729 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cant wait to get my set. Got the tv for the 1499 price. Waiting until next saturday when i move into our new place. Long time to read up on this thread
post #3730 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Correct. Turn off the Power Save and leave everything else off that effects the picture. Power Save defaults to the on position which only benefits Sony so it can claim positive power consumption ratings. For the customer it sucks. Sony is not alone here
What settings most effect watching live sports on the 850a ?.
post #3731 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper64 View Post
What settings most effect watching live sports on the 850a ?.
I watch a ton of sports. Even soccer at the moment. Grass is really hard to get correct but here are some of my main settings for everything but especially sports.
I've been around TV's since before the Trinitron and like most I've never recommended the Vivid setting. I've always preferred Custom. The 65w850a is a unique animal for me. So here goes.
Try Vivid, backlight-Max, Picture-Max, Brightness-47, Color-30, Color Temp-Cool, Sharpness-75. Play around with all the other settings but these basic settings give me the best blacks and as natural a green shade as I can get. Bumping the brightness up even two notches ruins the blacks and most have the color temp higher than I do but GREEN is the base line color to get right. Make sure Power Save and Light sensor is OFF in the Eco section. I just did a complete reset last night and these settings still please me the most. Vivid may be too bright and a bit too blue if you don't turn the brightness down to 47.
post #3732 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I watch a ton of sports. Even soccer at the moment. Grass is really hard to get correct but here are some of my main settings for everything but especially sports.
I've been around TV's since before the Trinitron and like most I've never recommended the Vivid setting. I've always preferred Custom. The 65w850a is a unique animal for me. So here goes.
Try Vivid, backlight-Max, Picture-Max, Brightness-47, Color-30, Color Temp-Cool, Sharpness-75. Play around with all the other settings but these basic settings give me the best blacks and as natural a green shade as I can get. Bumping the brightness up even two notches ruins the blacks and most have the color temp higher than I do but GREEN is the base line color to get right. Make sure Power Save and Light sensor is OFF in the Eco section. I just did a complete reset last night and these settings still please me the most. Vivid may be too bright and a bit too blue if you don't turn the brightness down to 47.
Also put motionflow to clear to get better resolution in pans.
post #3733 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What another SONY??????????

Thanks to all for the comments and tips in helping me to decide on purchasing the w850a!
I Bought it from the Sony Store and they gave me the price match of $1499 from Fry's sale.
Putzing around with the settings has been interesting......soooo many decisions. I wonder if I could prevail
on WHITESANDS for his personal setting? I promise not to divulge them unless water-boarded or tortured with a feather.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3734 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give the settings a go. Dropping the color down to 30 definitely does give the greens a more natural look. I find LED/LCD TV's usually over exaggerate colors out of the box. I guess it is preference as some people like colors that pop out more. As for noise reduction, mpeg noise reduction, dot noise reduction and reality creation. You guys leave those on auto ?. Also scene selection left on auto ?. I know whitesands uses general and common for setting memory. Just wondering what others are using.

Last edited by Ripper64; 06-24-2014 at 12:30 PM.
post #3735 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Correct. Turn off the Power Save and leave everything else off that effects the picture. Power Save defaults to the on position which only benefits Sony so it can claim positive power consumption ratings. For the customer it sucks. Sony is not alone here.

FYI, you must be a member of Costco to get the Costco discount from Square Trade. You do not have to be a Costco member to buy the same very good warranty from Square Trade for a slightly but still good price. If you do not buy from Costco (say Amazon) and are a Costco member you still qualify for a member discount but you lose the extra year of warranty that Costco automatically includes with electronic equipment purchases. I think a one year Costco membership starts at $55yr. Their 90 day return policy includes items bought on-line.
This makes sense. Whitesands can you explain your reason why you suggest to keep it on?
post #3736 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper64 View Post
Thanks guys, I'll give the settings a go. Dropping the color down to 30 definitely does give the greens a more natural look. I find LED/LCD TV's usually over exaggerate colors out of the box. I guess it is preference as some people like colors that pop out more. As for noise reduction, mpeg noise reduction, dot noise reduction and reality creation. You guys leave those on auto ?. Also scene selection left on auto ?. I know whitesands uses general and common for setting memory. Just wondering what others are using.
If you want to get colors "better" I would recommend getting one of the free settings disks available or purchase one and adjust the settings on your set to your liking. I know people may be adverse to spending time fiddling with the different settings, but the small investment in time now allows more enjoyment later when you have your set dialed in to what you like and not someone else's preference. This especially goes for colors as this can vary set to set and the small difference can mean BIG differences when using settings that were matched to someone else's panel, eyes, equipment.
post #3737 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
If you want to get colors "better" I would recommend getting one of the free settings disks available or purchase one and adjust the settings on your set to your liking. I know people may be adverse to spending time fiddling with the different settings, but the small investment in time now allows more enjoyment later when you have your set dialed in to what you like and not someone else's preference. This especially goes for colors as this can vary set to set and the small difference can mean BIG differences when using settings that were matched to someone else's panel, eyes, equipment.
I have the WOW disc and another one. I made the adjustments but didn't like it in the end. I agree about using the disc for making color adjustments, tint/hue, picture. Sometimes I like making adjustments to my liking. Using the calibration discs make for a darker picture which is more correct. With LED's I am liking something brighter now. I have also used the settings I got from the calibrations discs with previous TV's, Plasma's.

Last edited by Ripper64; 06-24-2014 at 03:27 PM.
post #3738 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For any interested in the Fry's pricematch (or buying from Fry's), I checked today and the $1499 is now the actual posted, listed price, no longer some weird price change that comes with adding it to the cart.

Online pricing is valid 6/24-6/26 (though I bought it last week on Monday and had the same price in store).

http://www.frys.com/product/7887519

Still not available for shipping, so if you are interested in buying from Fry's, you do need to be close to an actual store.
post #3739 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Well I'm online with Sony store and they still have KDL65W850A models. They match price $1499+tax with free shipping.I'm almost sold, are you guys happy with this TV? I'm not sure if to get one or wait for 4K models to be lower priced.

Help

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #3740 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo96 View Post
It does say that as part of their price assurance but they gave me the adjustment. It might have to do with the fact that I provided a screen capture with the product already in my cart and showing the discounted price.
Thanks for the heads up, I called again today and got a different rep. Was able to have them successfully PM Frys this time around...just in time for the new set to be delivered tomorrow
post #3741 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 PM

Liked: 10
I got the TV last week from Frys, last one in the box for $1499. I set it up last Sunday. It could detect my home wifi SSID, but after I put in WEP 128 bit security key, it could not connect to wifi. Something worng with the wifi connection for this TV? Everything else works great, the picture is amazing. The wire connection is not really option for the TV where it sits. Can anyone give any suggestions?
post #3742 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguilafan View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I called again today and got a different rep. Was able to have them successfully PM Frys this time around...just in time for the new set to be delivered tomorrow
I am now in the process of trying to convince them to give me the EPP discount after the price adjustment which would bring the total down to $1,349.10. When they calculated my adjustment they took the EPP price and then adjusted it to the Fry's price which wiped out the EPP discount. We will see how it goes. I have already been rejected on it once but I sent a reply email which showed them my math. Either way I received a great price.
post #3743 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 04:16 PM

Liked: 10
Much delayed thanks to Whitesands for his settings. I can't believe how awesome this picture is. I am actually really stunned at how good the 3D looks on this set. Pacific Rim is my new go-to demo disc (the movie is just meh, but doesn't get much better for eye candy). I was never a big fan in the theaters, but the 3D on this set rocks. Really immersive. Anyway, thanks again to Whitesands for helping me getting this sucker dialed in.

Sony KDL-65W850A | Integra 40.2 | Emotiva XPA-2 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Sony PS3 | Paradigm SE3 | Paradigm SE Center | Paradigm SE1 | Paradigm Atoms | PSA XS30se | Belkin PF60
post #3744 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo96 View Post
I am now in the process of trying to convince them to give me the EPP discount after the price adjustment which would bring the total down to $1,349.10. When they calculated my adjustment they took the EPP price and then adjusted it to the Fry's price which wiped out the EPP discount. We will see how it goes. I have already been rejected on it once but I sent a reply email which showed them my math. Either way I received a great price.
what is EPP discount? I'm jus dealing with Sony with price online, thanks.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #3745 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Liked: 0
Just picked up this set yesterday at Best Buy. They had the set on display so i got to see it in person first. Was listed at $1699, but pulled up Frys.com on my phone and they PM without any questions for $1499. Pretty happy with the set so far, still playing with some of the settings. Started reading through this thread for suggestions. It sounds like Whitesands has all the answers :-) So if I ask nicely, will Whitesands PM me his settings for this TV?

thanks for all the great posts so far. Very much looking forward to getting the settings dialed in and going to pickup a few 3D movies tomorrow!
post #3746 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
what is EPP discount? I'm jus dealing with Sony with price online, thanks.

Employee Purchase Program often given to partners or direct employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3747 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3403 View Post
Just picked up this set yesterday at Best Buy. They had the set on display so i got to see it in person first. Was listed at $1699, but pulled up Frys.com on my phone and they PM without any questions for $1499. Pretty happy with the set so far, still playing with some of the settings. Started reading through this thread for suggestions. It sounds like Whitesands has all the answers :-) So if I ask nicely, will Whitesands PM me his settings for this TV?

thanks for all the great posts so far. Very much looking forward to getting the settings dialed in and going to pickup a few 3D movies tomorrow!

You should PM WhiteSands it goes a little easier and you will probably get a quicker response.

post #3748 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Employee Purchase Program often given to partners or direct employees.

Oh ok thanks for response, it is for sure not my case but good luck to get yours!!!

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #3749 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
Also put motionflow to clear to get better resolution in pans.

I also use motion flow clear because I do not get much soup opera effect.

I have a question to people with this set, do you see any shudder/judder (slight jerkiness) when the camera pans slowly side to side or up and down? I get this effect on motion flow clear. It is barely noticeable if at all on standard. Is this normal? With Motion Flow off the shudder/judder can be easily seen during the slow pans. Please let me know what your experiences are with motion flow.

Last edited by acermen1212; 06-24-2014 at 06:06 PM.
post #3750 of 4421 Old 06-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been debating for a while now to purchase the 65W850A. I stopped at Best Buy on the way home from work and had them check on the availability. Noticed that stock was getting extremely low so I pulled the trigger and purchased the 65W850A from Best Buy last Thursday. The Best Buy that I purchased the TV from had to have another store ship their last one over. I showed up at Best Buy today (Tuesday) to take delivery and found out the store that was shipping the TV pulled my name off the set and sold it. They tried searching other stores for stock but found nothing. To make up for the mess Best Buy offered me the 65W950B at cost. I hesitant at first but ended up taking the deal. I take delivery of the 65W950B on July 2nd. Hope I made the right decision.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page