post #3751 of 4361 Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant View Post
I have been debating for a while now to purchase the 65W850A. I stopped at Best Buy on the way home from work and had them check on the availability. Noticed that stock was getting extremely low so I pulled the trigger and purchased the 65W850A from Best Buy last Thursday. The Best Buy that I purchased the TV from had to have another store ship their last one over. I showed up at Best Buy today (Tuesday) to take delivery and found out the store that was shipping the TV pulled my name off the set and sold it. They tried searching other stores for stock but found nothing. To make up for the mess Best Buy offered me the 65W950B at cost. I hesitant at first but ended up taking the deal. I take delivery of the 65W950B on July 2nd. Hope I made the right decision.
65W850A is still available from Sony web store and they match prices!!! I went today to Best buy also and 65W850A is sold out so it is why I looked at Sony web store.

If I'm you I will still get 65W850A over new model Tv is just simply better, you can't beat 65W850A display it is why is so popular!!!

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3

Last edited by retro124; 06-24-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 4361 Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
I have been debating for a while now to purchase the 65W850A. I stopped at Best Buy on the way home from work and had them check on the availability. Noticed that stock was getting extremely low so I pulled the trigger and purchased the 65W850A from Best Buy last Thursday. The Best Buy that I purchased the TV from had to have another store ship their last one over. I showed up at Best Buy today (Tuesday) to take delivery and found out the store that was shipping the TV pulled my name off the set and sold it. They tried searching other stores for stock but found nothing. To make up for the mess Best Buy offered me the 65W950B at cost. I hesitant at first but ended up taking the deal. I take delivery of the 65W950B on July 2nd. Hope I made the right decision.

Dominant that is really really messed up and I would be pissed right now! How the hell can BB make such an idiotic mistake like that? But honestly it comes as no surprise to me and its why I only buy Blu's and dvd's from them. Hopefully the W950B works out for you but from what I was told and saw the blacks and contrast are not that good but you may think otherwise. I have my fingers crossed for you.
post #3753 of 4361 Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I received my unit on Friday and have been going through the motions with the setup. Thank you to Whitesands for his settings to play around with.

Things I've noted:
1. I have a HTPC and so all my content, except for rare PS3 gaming and BluRay, goes through a DVI to hdmi cable. Works very well on the Graphics settings, particularly on non video content. The Graphics scene itself looks pretty good on video content too.

2. I have a center bulls-eye with some vertical banding, I think. See the attachments. This is primarily seen on a pure white background. This is easy to reproduce because my HTPC can find and reproduce easy sources. These images are from the AVCHD 709 calibration disc, 100% white field.

This is with max backlight on General scene, though it is also seen quite easily on other scene modes with lower backlight.

a. Can you see it also?
b. Should it bother me? As Whitesands has hinted, we didn't buy this TV to watch a plain white screen.
c. If I want a return, should I go through Fry's or Sony? For Fry's, I had to get it delivered on their delivery service. Right now, it looks like they have others in stock locally, but that will certainly be a hassle.

3. I have not updated to the very latest firmware yet. Not sure if that would make any difference at all with the center bullseye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-06-24 19.03.56.jpg (52.4 KB, 85 views)
WhiteSands likes this.

Last edited by Waylo; 06-27-2014 at 07:42 PM.
post #3754 of 4361 Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Here are two older gray screens shots from my TV. I don't worry much about how this looks to me when using a gray test screen. As long as I don't see any problems when watching HDTV or a blu ray movie i'm ok with my set.

Could be some of these manually created gray or white test screen distortions may be caused by the triluminos filters although I have no proof of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Banding Test 005.jpg (56.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Banding Test 006.jpg (56.5 KB, 66 views)
Waylo likes this.
post #3755 of 4361 Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
950b has IPS panel with worse blacks, also I believe it does not have semi local dimming technology of 850a.
post #3756 of 4361 Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 PM

@WhiteSands that is really interesting. Thank you for the post.

Your screen pics look very much like mine--rounded edges 1/4th of the way from the sides and a few slightly darker bands centrally.

I tend to agree with your rationale! i.e. go watch real video and not test screens!

Anyone else with this finding on their sets, or the ones they returned? I couldn't find many screen shots of this problem on this forum, though quite a few on the 70w850b thread (here's one from that thread--again, NOT a 65w850a http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/403055/)
post #3757 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Screen shot from my TV.

post #3758 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylo View Post
@WhiteSands that is really interesting. Thank you for the post.

Your screen pics look very much like mine--rounded edges 1/4th of the way from the sides and a few slightly darker bands centrally.

I tend to agree with your rationale! i.e. go watch real video and not test screens!

Anyone else with this finding on their sets, or the ones they returned? I couldn't find many screen shots of this problem on this forum, though quite a few on the 70w850b thread (here's one from that thread--again, NOT a 65w850a http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/403055/)
Mine looks just like WS's. I chose the 850a over the 850b beacasue of the Radial banding like in the link you provided.

If I have to guess these panels are from LG as this looks like its an LG thing. I rember having and returnig an local dimming LG set back in 2009 that had similar banding issues. That one had the "bullseye" patten that you see ppl complain about as well on the 850b.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3759 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealkb View Post
I got the TV last week from Frys, last one in the box for $1499. I set it up last Sunday. It could detect my home wifi SSID, but after I put in WEP 128 bit security key, it could not connect to wifi. Something worng with the wifi connection for this TV? Everything else works great, the picture is amazing. The wire connection is not really option for the TV where it sits. Can anyone give any suggestions?
Hopefully this isnt too late but if you dont mind me asking why do you still have use WEP encryption?

My suggestion is to change to WPA or WPA2 unless you have some legacy device that doesnt accept it (really shouldnt be the case at this point). To be honest if WEP is your only option it's so un-secure that you almost may as well just make the network Open anyway.
post #3760 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
Also put motionflow to clear to get better resolution in pans.
Raitzi and others - I haven't tried this yet, but is there a theory (or proof?) that certain MotionFlow (or other) settings help improve the "Dirty Screen Effect" (vertical banding) that occurs when a camera pans across a solid color (like a light green soccer field, for example)? That would be great, if so.

I fear that the answer is "no." Thoughts?

P.S. I tried making my screen brighter per the suggestion of Andy Sullivan (and/or others), but that doesn't seem to diminish the banding issue... really not at all.
post #3761 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM

Liked: 10
Kdl 65w850a

Opinions please, I am considering buying this set but was wondering how it compares to Samsuung 65F7100 and 65H7150 pic quality wise since those are 240hz and this is 120hz, I had the 65f7100 it had a bad panel and they had no more models so I tried the 7150 series and had freezing and clouding issues so I am going to stay away from Samsung, I was an LG consumer before trying Samsung, would you recommend this over the previous I mentioned? Thanks for your opinions in advance.
post #3762 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethKeenan01 View Post
P.S. I tried making my screen brighter per the suggestion of Andy Sullivan (and/or others), but that doesn't seem to diminish the banding issue... really not at all.
Same here...
post #3763 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Raitzi and others - I haven't tried this yet, but is there a theory (or proof?) that certain MotionFlow (or other) settings help improve the "Dirty Screen Effect" (vertical banding) that occurs when a camera pans across a solid color (like a light green soccer field, for example)? That would be great, if so.

In my opinion I don't feel any of the motionflow settings will alleviate screen uniformity issues or banding if you will. There is no setting that will make it go away. It is just less evident with a multi-colored background than with a solid medium to light colored background. I would bet every W850A out there has some degree of banding. Some worse than others. It's a question of your tolerance level for this stuff. Coming from TV's that had no uniformity issues has made this hard for me but I am starting to get used to it. Or go buy a plasma while I still can. You can see the uniformity issues on White Sands screen shots. He understands the limitations of the edge-lit design and enjoys his TV as we all know. The positives outweigh the negatives.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3764 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM

Liked: 29
I cannot speak for DSE but generally uniformity can be optimised with gray picture and using brighness and backlight controls.
You can use this to do that : http://s2.postimg.org/sjn23zrfd/gray.jpg

So start with minimum backlight. Put +1 to backlight .You should then see backlight leakage from left and right sides with edge BL TV. Then see what happens with using brightness control when you again increase backlight closer to the setting you might actually use. In short I think there is optimum brightness setting for each backlight setting for uniformity point of view. So play with the two settings until you get uniform picture of gray.
post #3765 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo96 View Post
It does say that as part of their price assurance but they gave me the adjustment. It might have to do with the fact that I provided a screen capture with the product already in my cart and showing the discounted price.
Thanks Devo! Finally pulled the trigger. I called the sony store today and just after I finished saying Fry's, the representative started laughing and asked if I need a price match. I bet she is getting that all day this week The entire process is smooth as silk: placed order online, gave my cc info and bang! the new TV is coming to me in 5-7 days with a price tag of $1499 excl tax. I got the feeling that the stock is getting low so anyone who's still debating will need to do it quick!!!
post #3766 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

You might try these settings as they worked for me. Vivid would be a good choice to see if this helps. These settings also gets rid of the SOE, or soap opera effect.

Turn these to Off below on each of the 3 Picture Modes - Vivid, Standard and Custom.

Noise Reduction,

MPEG Noise Reduction,

DOT Noise Reduction,

Video Area Detect,

Smooth Gradation.

Leave Cine Motion set to Auto which is default.

It's important to leave Reality Creation set to Auto and 'Motionflow to Standard' which is default and works great, especially during pro football games.

Doing this got rid of some banding I was seeing on fast camera panning of the ice rink during hockey games.
post #3767 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Z.Y View Post
Thanks Devo! Finally pulled the trigger. I called the sony store today and just after I finished saying Fry's, the representative started laughing and asked if I need a price match. I bet she is getting that all day this week The entire process is smooth as silk: placed order online, gave my cc info and bang! the new TV is coming to me in 5-7 days with a price tag of $1499 excl tax. I got the feeling that the stock is getting low so anyone who's still debating will need to do it quick!!!
You're in for a treat!
post #3768 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
You might try these settings as they worked for me. Vivid would be a good choice to see if this helps. These settings also gets rid of the SOE, or soap opera effect.

Turn these to Off below on each of the 3 Picture Modes - Vivid, Standard and Custom.

Noise Reduction,

MPEG Noise Reduction,

DOT Noise Reduction,

Video Area Detect,

Smooth Gradation.

Leave Cine Motion set to Auto which is default.

It's important to leave Reality Creation set to Auto and 'Motionflow to Standard' which is default and works great, especially during pro football games.

Doing this got rid of some banding I was seeing on fast camera panning of the ice rink during hockey games.
How does the banding look during football (NFL) games? That's what I'll be spending a lot of time doing, are the banding issues noticeable?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3769 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:

In my experience, I do think certain settings help minimize the DSE effect from the banding.

If I play Forza 5 in game mode with motionflow set to impulse, I notice the banding more. If I turn the motionflow off, the banding becomes less noticeable due the picture being much brighter as the impulse setting dims the picture.
If I use another scene setting other than game mode, it becomes even less noticible.

Please note that I'm saying its less noticible and not eliminated. Really by less noticible I should be saying less distracting.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3770 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi my set just arrived and it is every bit as awesome as it was hyped up to be! One quick question, as I was placing it on the stand I put a finger print at the corner of the screen. What is the safest way to clean the screen for smudges and dust as it is inevitably going to get dirty over time?

I have various screen cleaning products at my disposal, including iKlear which I use on my Apple touch screen products and computers but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate to use here.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3771 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguilafan View Post
Hi my set just arrived and it is every bit as awesome as it was hyped up to be! One quick question, as I was placing it on the stand I put a finger print at the corner of the screen. What is the safest way to clean the screen for smudges and dust as it is inevitably going to get dirty over time?

I have various screen cleaning products at my disposal, including iKlear which I use on my Apple touch screen products and computers but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate to use here.

With the TV off I would recommend distilled water and a microfiber cloth. This is her really the safest way to clean FP TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3772 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle76092 View Post
I too just joined the Sony 65W850a club today.

While I do believe the future is 4k, the technology is just too expensive right now with too little viable content to warrant going that route. I'll likely have the opportunity to add another display in 1-2 years and hopefully the 4k options will be more compelling.

BB is holding my unit at the warehouse for another 4-6 weeks until our new house is finished. There are now only 34 units left in the Dallas-Ft Worth region and I was worried if I didn't reserve one now, they might be gone forever.

Look forward to sharing the experience! Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
Went back to Best Buy today and got the Fry's Electronics price mach. No hassle. Took less than 10 minutes. BB definitely earned my repeat business.

There may be better displays out there. But, for the money, I think this is about as smokin' a deal as you'll ever find. It will be a long wait until our house is ready and I can take delivery.
post #3773 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I ran across this thread in a search today, and decided to finally take the plunge and get a new tv. I ordered it from Fry's for in store pickup, so hopefully I'll be able to go grab it tonight. Will be quite the surprise for the bf.

Sony should give Whitesands a commendation for clearing out their remaining stock. If you could PM me those settings that everyone is raving about, I'd appreciate it greatly.
post #3774 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

TV's KDL65W850A are sold out on Sony web also. I have been offered refurbished do you guys have any experience with those? Are they like new or coming with defects? Thanks for responses.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #3775 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 PM
<><
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
The only setting that got rid of the Soap Opera Effect (or some weird effects while watching Blu-ray) was to set "Motion Flow" to "Off".

My Settings are as follows, very simple:

Scene Select: General
Setting Memory: Common
Picture Mode: Standard

The only Settings I changed from the default are:
Motion Flow: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel
Dynamic Range: Limited
Light Sensor: Off (Basically Eco all off except Auto Shut-off)

Take Care
post #3776 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmasi324 View Post
How does the banding look during football (NFL) games? That's what I'll be spending a lot of time doing, are the banding issues noticeable?
I don't see any banding at all during the live football games. I have seen a touch of motion blur but I overlook it. Like some say, they haven'e made us a perfect set yet.

I did have some motion blur and pixelation back till mid November. I was using my outdoor TV antenna to get the games from El Paso. I did this as the picture was a touch better then when watching the Networks using the Dish Network. I drove myself crazy for a few months trying each of the motionflow settings including Off. Nothing helped and I was ready to swap for another set.

During the first quarter of a game I was watching on Fox from El Paso, I decided to try the dish network FOX channel. Man right off no more pixelation on the fast plays and the motion blur was gone. Man all that stress and all the time it was coming from those El Paso stations including ABC, NBC and CBS.

I do need to tell you anytime you see a replay during a game you will see motion blur and sometimes pixelation. Not to worry that's from the network and is only seen on a quick replay like during a fumble or touchdown.

I have my motion flow set to standard which works great for the games. I do see sometimes the score ticker at the bottom of the screen will jerk some when it first comes on the it smooths out. I can live with that just to have the great flawless game to watch.

You say you spend a lot of time watching the pro games. I don't miss many starting with the rookie games all the way to the the super bowl. My favorites is the championship games then the super bowl.. So enjoy the football season.
nmasi324 likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 06-25-2014 at 10:42 PM.
post #3777 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
TV's KDL65W850A are sold out on Sony web also. I have been offered refurbished do you guys have any experience with those? Are they like new or coming with defects? Thanks for responses.
I was told by a Amazon customer service that the refurbished sets are sets that have never been sold. They have a scratched or dented cabinet or cover on the back of the set. This defective parts are replaced and the set is completely tested out. The set is then discounted for sale.

Any used set means it had been sold and returned for a exchange or perhaps the customer bought some other set. These set are also fully tested before being sold. With the discounted price it might be a good time to negotiate a extended warranty usually $10 of the TV's sale price.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 06-25-2014 at 10:36 PM.
post #3778 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <>< View Post
The only setting that got rid of the Soap Opera Effect (or some weird effects while watching Blu-ray) was to set "Motion Flow" to "Off".

My Settings are as follows, very simple:

Scene Select: General
Setting Memory: Common
Picture Mode: Standard

The only Settings I changed from the default are:
Motion Flow: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel
Dynamic Range: Limited
Light Sensor: Off (Basically Eco all off except Auto Shut-off)
The 'soap opera effect' setting I didn't name on the Cnets list of noise filters was, smooth gradation. Setting that to off was said to get rid of the SOE problem. Some has said it was not enough, so they found by turning off the motionflow fixed the SOE problem.

My worry then would be any motion blur problems during the live pro games.
I did turn mine off months ago when testing and could not clear up the motion blur till I went back to the motionflow, standard setting.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 06-25-2014 at 10:33 PM.
post #3779 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was told by a Amazon customer service that a refurbished sets are sets that have never been sold. They have a scratched or dented cabinet or cover on the back of the set. This defective parts are replaced and the set is completely tested out Then discounted for sale with a full warranty.

Any used set means it had been sold and returned for a exchange or perhaps the customer bought some other set. These set are also fully tested and I would think should have a full years warranty on them.
Thanks for response Sony offer with those only 90 days and then I can buy from 2 to 5 years extended warranty for $120 -$240. So you think it is good deal they are $1320 with tax!!! + free shipping.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #3780 of 4361 Old 06-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Thanks for response Sony offer with those only 90 days and then I can buy from 2 to 5 years extended warranty for $120 -$240. So you think it is good deal they are $1320 with tax!!! + free shipping.
If they don't have a new set to send out then the refurbished set should be a good choice. After all you have the 90 day return or exchange if needed. One problem is i'm not sure if Sony will be making another shipment of these sets. I would hope so but i'm sure it's hurting their 2014 sales.

You might ask Sony more details like what is a refurbished set. See if it matches what Amazon told me. You might also ask about their return policy but so far I don't remember anyone returning this set for a refund. Some places charges return shipping and maybe a restocking fee.

Sony may cut you a better price if you go with their longest extended warranty.

Good luck on your purchase.
steve1971 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page