post #3781 of 4437 Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
If they don't have a new set to send out then the refurbished set should be a good choice. After all you have the 90 day return or exchange if needed. One problem is i'm not sure if Sony will be making another shipment of these sets. I would hope so but i'm sure it's hurting their 2014 sales.

You might ask Sony more details like what is a refurbished set. See if it matches what Amazon told me. You might also ask about their return policy but so far I don't remember anyone returning this set for a refund. Some places charges return shipping and maybe a restocking fee.

Sony may cut you a better price if you go with their longest extended warranty.

Good luck on your purchase.
Yes I will thanks for fast response. Let me ask you one question about setting of this tv, are you able to send me those I find it you are real Pro at least what people talking about tv setting,thanks.
WhiteSands likes this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4437 Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
An update: had my 850a a couple of months ago, am using WhiteSands settings. I have never seen such deep blacks in a tv, and the colors just pop.

I am so very pleased with this one! Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. You're am awesome bunch.
post #3783 of 4437 Old 06-26-2014, 06:48 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguilafan View Post
My TV is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday and I was wondering if a current owner could help me out. I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I use with my iPad for when I Netflix a movie late at night. Does this TV have the capability of streaming audio to them? Or do I need to purchase a separate Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the headphone jack of the 65W850A for this to work?
I was unable to connect my bluetooth headphones to this set. I believe the BT connectivity is for keyboards, remotes, etc.
post #3784 of 4437 Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin0901 View Post
I was unable to connect my bluetooth headphones to this set. I believe the BT connectivity is for keyboards, remotes, etc.
Thanks for the follow up. I ended up purchasing a Bluetooth transmitter that connects directly into the TVs headphone jack and pairs with my ear buds.
post #3785 of 4437 Old 06-26-2014, 09:43 AM

While I am loving the picture of this TV, one thing I notice is when I view the screen from an angle, I can see a great deal of light emitting from the left side of the panel.

Is this normal for this set or is my particular model defective? I hope this is not the case as in addition to the TV being out of stock from Sony, it would be quite a headache to have to package it up for a return.
post #3786 of 4437 Old 06-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It looks like Sony finally posted the release notes for the latest firmware.

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.430AAA) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG4.411AAA:
Improves performance and stability of the Internet features
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.430AAA:
Improves stability of the Screen Mirroring function
Improves the login function for the Skype® online calling service
Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3787 of 4437 Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 AM

Liked: 16
I just wanted to share my recent experience. I sent my set back (Nov. 2013 build) due to banding and not seeing the clearest picture on my Verizon FIOS set top box. Blu ray was fine, but I felt that the HD content on cable should have been better. After calling Sony support and giving them my serial number, they put me on hold. My understanding is that they were able to run tests on my unit to see if it was defective. I only assume this because they offered to replace my unit. I doubt they would do this for every customer complaining about banding issues.

They offered to send over a factory re-certified unit. I was hesitant to accept this due to the fact that my unit was new. They informed me that these units do not have any damage, but were returned for similar reasons to mine. They are then sent through an extensive series of hand testing. All of these issues that we discuss on this forum is making it's way back to Sony (not directly, but you know what I mean), so they look out for them in the hand testing. They offered a two year warranty instead of the standard one year. To me, that shows that they have more confidence in the re-certified units than in the new ones.

I have had the replacement for about a week now. I have not seen any banding issues and the picture seems to be much clearer than my last unit. The only issue that I still see is with sports tickers (NFL Network, ESPN). When the text scrolls, it seems to studder. This seems to be a motionflow issue, that not many can figure out. It is an inconsistent and tolerable issue though. Overall, I am very satisfied.
Waylo and Derbel like this.
post #3788 of 4437 Old 06-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Screen shot.

steve1971 and cosmoscarl like this.
post #3789 of 4437 Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguilafan View Post
While I am loving the picture of this TV, one thing I notice is when I view the screen from an angle, I can see a great deal of light emitting from the left side of the panel.

Is this normal for this set or is my particular model defective? I hope this is not the case as in addition to the TV being out of stock from Sony, it would be quite a headache to have to package it up for a return.
I printed out a protractor from some online site using google search. I marked it off at 44.5 degrees on each side with a black marker, then laid the paper down on the floor in front of my TV screen. This made it easy to see Sony's side viewing limits from center screen.

Sony also recommends a 9 foot viewing distance from center screen.
cosmoscarl likes this.
post #3790 of 4437 Old 06-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

These two screen shots are for Viper04468 to compare his not so deep blacks to my set. Here you can see the deep blacks in the upholstery in the car. The other from the Voice where it's easy to see the blacked out area in the background. This set should have comparable blacks just as if the set was turned off.

Sorry guys, I tried to attach these to a PM to Viper but no way could I get it to work with a open image.

WS

cosmoscarl likes this.
post #3791 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Our set seems slow to respond using the remote just changing channels. At first I thought the batteries were dying but I replaced them. Not sure if it was the last software update or coincidental.

I vaguely recall freeing up memory, how? I only have 5 apps loaded.

Any other ideas?
Thx
post #3792 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 AM

Liked: 21
Thanks for the screen shots, WS. I'm still trying to dial in my set, but am fighting with some faint clouding. Currently, the blacks are definitively black, but in the upper left quarter of the screen there are faint clouds that are visible. I've been testing a lot of different settings, from the Sound and Vision review settings, ones posted by AVManic and tweaks I saw from Andy Sullivan to WhiteSands' settings. If I turn the LED Dynamic Control up to standard and the backlight/brightness down a bit they are more or less gone, but at the risk of a dark picture and potentially crushing some blacks in the process. This is really the only issue I have with the TV, but I notice it every time there is a fade out or very dark scene. I should point out that these are *only* visible at night when the room is dark. During the day the settings that minimize clouding at night make for a very dim picture.

Does this sound defective (the minimal clouding) or par for the course for the technology? My last TV was a FALD Samsung and had zero clouding but some blooming. I know that blooming is inherent with LED, and it's overall not too bad on the 850a. I just don't know if I need to exchange it and risk getting a set with "real"issues or deal with what I have.

My set was built in Mar 2014, if that matters. Any input is welcome!
post #3793 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper04468 View Post
Thanks for the screen shots, WS. I'm still trying to dial in my set, but am fighting with some faint clouding. Currently, the blacks are definitively black, but in the upper left quarter of the screen there are faint clouds that are visible. I've been testing a lot of different settings, from the Sound and Vision review settings, ones posted by AVManic and tweaks I saw from Andy Sullivan to WhiteSands' settings. If I turn the LED Dynamic Control up to standard and the backlight/brightness down a bit they are more or less gone, but at the risk of a dark picture and potentially crushing some blacks in the process. This is really the only issue I have with the TV, but I notice it every time there is a fade out or very dark scene. I should point out that these are *only* visible at night when the room is dark. During the day the settings that minimize clouding at night make for a very dim picture.

Does this sound defective (the minimal clouding) or par for the course for the technology? My last TV was a FALD Samsung and had zero clouding but some blooming. I know that blooming is inherent with LED, and it's overall not too bad on the 850a. I just don't know if I need to exchange it and risk getting a set with "real"issues or deal with what I have.

My set was built in Mar 2014, if that matters. Any input is welcome!

Hey viper your going to have clouding/flashlighting issues even with FALD sets. Its just an inherent flaw with LED technology. Some sets have it and some don't. My 55inch W900A has zero clouding or flash lighting thank god. Buts its called the panel lottery we all play. I would keep your set because god only knows if you exchange it you could end up with worse. You just never know.
post #3794 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Hey viper your going to have clouding/flashlighting issues even with FALD sets. Its just an inherent flaw with LED technology. Some sets have it and some don't. My 55inch W900A has zero clouding or flash lighting thank god. Buts its called the panel lottery we all play. I would keep your set because god only knows if you exchange it you could end up with worse. You just never know.

Blooming with FALD yes but, you shouldn't see Clouding or flashlighting. If it's a True FALD DL set then the blooming will occur around the "light" objects and the less blooming the better the FALD is being implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3795 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Blooming with FALD yes but, you shouldn't see Clouding or flashlighting. If it's a True FALD DL set then the blooming will occur around the "light" objects and the less blooming the better the FALD is being implemented.

Agreed you shouldn't see clouding or flashlighting on a FALD set but from time to time you do. I cant tell you how many posts I have read where people with FALD sets experience this. So its not just Edge Lit sets that experience this. Like I said this just part of the tech that people have to deal with, its sucks I know, but just the way it is. As far as Blooming is concerned once in awhile I will see this on my W900 and my set isn't even FALD. No matter how much I have tried to fiddle with my settings I cant seem to fix it. But oh well to me its not worth worrying about.
post #3796 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 06:51 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
I'm really on the fence for that very reason. I'm thinking of trying to massage the screen to see if that will help alleviate them at all. Again, they are only visible at night and on a primarily black screen that has some light, mostly the light is on the left side of the screen. I am fully aware that I'm being a bit critical, but is definitely there. I don't want to dial down the brightness too much and lose black level detail.

To those that had noticed clouds on their set and kept them, have they gone away or stayed the same and you just stopped noticing? I suspect that maybe after a few months I may just stop focusing on them.

It's like a scratch on your new car. You love the car, but every time you walk up to it, all you see is that scratch! I hate being OCD.

Viper
post #3797 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Agreed you shouldn't see clouding or flashlighting on a FALD set but from time to time you do. I cant tell you how many posts I have read where people with FALD sets experience this. So its not just Edge Lit sets that experience this. Like I said this just part of the tech that people have to deal with, its sucks I know, but just the way it is. As far as Blooming is concerned once in awhile I will see this on my W900 and my set isn't even FALD. No matter how much I have tried to fiddle with my settings I cant seem to fix it. But oh well to me its not worth worrying about.

I haven't seen reports with the 2014 sets. The closest I have seen are defective sets that get returned for what looks like clouding/flashlighting.

post #3798 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I haven't seen reports with the 2014 sets. The closest I have seen are defective sets that get returned for what looks like clouding/flashlighting.

Guys what is FALD please? Let me ask yu is this TV fast enough for Ice hockey games and F1 is there any motion flow issue?

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #3799 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Guys what is FALD please? Let me ask yu is this TV fast enough for Ice hockey games and F1 is there any motion flow issue?

FALD is Full Array Local Dimming. Most sets these days are Edge Lit and employ a "pseudo" local dimming scheme. It all about the method the company choses to display the picture.

post #3800 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
FALD is Full Array Local Dimming. Most sets these days are Edge Lit and employ a "pseudo" local dimming scheme. It all about the method the company choses to display the picture.

Ok thanks for fast response. Sony don't have those models, new but refurbished and I'm thinking about one. TV have excellent reviews and I had change to try 55W900A model and it is amazing so I guess this one is very close also, just not sure if I will feel 120Hz and 240hz.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #3801 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Ok thanks for fast response. Sony don't have those models, new but refurbished and I'm thinking about one. TV have excellent reviews and I had change to try 55W900A model and it is amazing so I guess this one is very close also, just not sure if I will feel 120Hz and 240hz.

I believe the 900b or the 950b is a FALD set, can't remember which. Usually that tech is reserved for the premium top of the line variants, but Vizio this year has made all of their sets FALD this year.

post #3802 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I believe the 900b or the 950b is a FALD set, can't remember which.
900b has same tech as w850a and x950 has FALD.
Ph8te likes this.
post #3803 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

The reset button is located here.

post #3804 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,

I just purchased this TV and while I'm in love with the picture (big talk coming from the v10 I was currently using as my main TV) I'm noticing the banding issues others have experienced in this thread. My question is, do I just learn to live with this flaw (its frustrating since I watch a lot of sports) or can I find another 65 inch TV that will be as good or at least not have these banding issues for under $1500?

Thanks
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3805 of 4437 Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
New Guy Here!!!

I just purchased the last 65w850a from my local best buy after missing out on the $1499 deal. I would love to have Whitesands settings if he/she is willing to send them to me. Thanks in advance for your help.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3806 of 4437 Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trust me the 2014 sets, at least some of them, are going to have the same clouding/flashlighting issues as the previous years sets and that includes the FALD set's. Like I said before the tech isn't perfect and never will be no matter if its a high end set or low end set.
post #3807 of 4437 Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think FALD sets are not now worth it compared to semi dimming sets like w850a taking price into the equation. Manufacturers are learning again how to make FALDs and current models are not without problems.
post #3808 of 4437 Old 06-28-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks and kudos to WhiteSands for his settings. Used them today to help a neighbor with their new 850A. They could not stop smiling and staring at the picture when I left.

Again, thanks WS.
post #3809 of 4437 Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Folks,

its official just hooked up the new 850A i got from frys 1499 deal .

Hi Whitesands, Can you please send me the settings that are so popular here ? Cant wait to tweak the settings.
post #3810 of 4437 Old 06-28-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedstark View Post
Hi Folks,

its official just hooked up the new 850A i got from frys 1499 deal .

Hi Whitesands, Can you please send me the settings that are so popular here ? Cant wait to tweak the settings.
What are your impressions of the picture quality with factory settings? Any problems that you've noted so far? Won't be receiving mine until next week.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page