Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 129 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3841 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quick Question. When my tv gets setup today, what should I be looking for to make sure I don't have a bad or defective unit? I know the basic pixels (if i am missing pixels while watching tv) but is there anything else I should be looking out for with this set?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Quick Question. When my tv gets setup today, what should I be looking for to make sure I don't have a bad or defective unit? I know the basic pixels (if i am missing pixels while watching tv) but is there anything else I should be looking out for with this set?
Pretty simiple, connect up and watch a good HDTV signal. Play a few blu ray movies. I would use Vivid with the factory settings as it's brighter to see any problems.

You might look for any clouding when the picture fades to black between some scenes during a movie. You can watch for any banding during 'live' sports games. I say live as I found the replay especially during pro football games will have distortions. One they go back to the live game then it looks great.

If you see any motion blur during a live game then try watching in the Standard Picture-Mode. Using this picture-mode the default motionflow is set to Standard and works best for me during any of the sports games.

This is why I use motionflow set to standard on all 3 picture-modes on my settings.

I have heard of a few that had stuck or dead pixels but at a normal viewing distance you couldn't see them.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 06-30-2014 at 01:15 PM.
post #3843 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks to Whitesands for the settings!
bodean likes this.
post #3844 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Another new W850A owner

Well, thanks in no small part to this thread, I bought a 65W850A yesterday. I got it at my local Best Buy - it was the last one in stock, but they still have them on line for $1700. I called a local Fry's and they wanted $1800.

The picture looked great with some minor tweaks out of the box. I watched the Lego movie in 3D with the kids - they were mesmerized...

A few quick questions I am hoping you can help me with:

1. WhiteSands, could you please PM me your famous secret recipe?

2. I was surprised the WiFi radio does not have the 5 ghz band. I have a 4-year old Sony BD player, and a Sony Google TV of about the same age, and they both have it. I had pretty poor reception with the built-in WiFi radio, so ended up connecting a range extenter and it is much better. Is this common in today's TVs? I would have thought the current generation of TVs would support 5 ghz N-band, of even ac.

3. I am hoping the built-in apps (Netflix, Amazon) will output 5.1 over TOSLINK, since I have a very old Marantz receiver with no HDMI. Can anyone confirm?

4. Does Netflix 3D content work on this TV? I found the Croods which I know is available in 3D, but did not see a 3D option for it. Not sure if my connection was too slow, or it just isn't supported.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Dan
post #3845 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoucette View Post
Is your GPU ATI based, if so they have a feature called Overscan. It adjusts the screen size, I had to underscan my HTPC for the screen to fit properly.
Home > Settings > Picture & Display > Screen > Display Area > Full Pixel

They send these TV's out with overscan turned on. Just turn it off; there's no reason to mess with your PC display settings.
post #3846 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Some reason I am missing either PMS or Content in PMS. The 3 PM's Whitesands sent me with his setting (and Cnet recommendations) are not there. Weird forum =/ Whitesands, if you could email them to me, I sent you my email to your PM. Thanks
WhiteSands likes this.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #3847 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Few animated screen shots from my TV.

Raitzi, Fairfax-Franko and Lasdrub like this.
post #3848 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBu View Post
Well, thanks in no small part to this thread, I bought a 65W850A yesterday. I got it at my local Best Buy - it was the last one in stock, but they still have them on line for $1700. I called a local Fry's and they wanted $1800.

The picture looked great with some minor tweaks out of the box. I watched the Lego movie in 3D with the kids - they were mesmerized...

A few quick questions I am hoping you can help me with:

1. WhiteSands, could you please PM me your famous secret recipe?

2. I was surprised the WiFi radio does not have the 5 ghz band. I have a 4-year old Sony BD player, and a Sony Google TV of about the same age, and they both have it. I had pretty poor reception with the built-in WiFi radio, so ended up connecting a range extenter and it is much better. Is this common in today's TVs? I would have thought the current generation of TVs would support 5 ghz N-band, of even ac.

3. I am hoping the built-in apps (Netflix, Amazon) will output 5.1 over TOSLINK, since I have a very old Marantz receiver with no HDMI. Can anyone confirm?

4. Does Netflix 3D content work on this TV? I found the Croods which I know is available in 3D, but did not see a 3D option for it. Not sure if my connection was too slow, or it just isn't supported.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Dan
#3 . No, it outputs 2 channel, no 5.1

#4 . No, it doesn't work with Netflix 3d either.
post #3849 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogent View Post

Couple of questions for you guys:

1. Is there a shortcut to toggle between the picture setting (vivid, standard, etc) beside going through option?
I would like to know this too

post #3850 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper04468 View Post
#3 . No, it outputs 2 channel, no 5.1

#4 . No, it doesn't work with Netflix 3d either.
Thanks. Not surprised about the lack of 3D, but inability to output 5.1 hurts. Will it output 5.1 over the HDMI/ARC - or is there basically no way to get 5.1 on Internet content - which would be a big miss to me.
Dan
post #3851 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I helped my friend pickup his new KDL-65W850A in San Francisco today from Best Buy - it was the last one in any of the BB stores in our area and BB would not ship it.

I used WhiteSands settings and my friend was very happy.

Thank you WhiteSands!
WhiteSands likes this.

Last edited by Fairfax-Franko; 07-01-2014 at 08:25 AM.
post #3852 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko View Post
I helped my friend pickup his new KDL-65W850A in San Francisco today from Best Buy - it was the last one in any of the BB stores in our area and BB would not ship it.

I used WhiteSands settings and my friend as very happy.

Thank you WhiteSands!

No Delivery... Y NOT. They offer it for FREE on any big TV... That's B.S.

Enjoy the TV.
post #3853 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post
No Delivery... Y NOT. They offer it for FREE on any big TV... That's B.S.

Enjoy the TV.
Best Buy in San Francisco had one for sale for $1,699 and no delivery to our area - 30 miles away.

My friend wanted to make sure he got it because it was the last one they had and they were not getting any more.

We drove over and picked it up so it wasn't that big a deal.
post #3854 of 4498 Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I managed to get the 65w850a from Fry's last week based largely on the recommendations from this thread. Initially I was a bit underwhelmed by the video quality while my wife was watching a few shows. During a break in her viewing I managed to configure the video settings (http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-hdtv-settings) and things look much better now.

I don't have a calibration disc, so I'm currently reliant upon others for the configuration. It seems that most people here are using WhiteSands' settings (which I can't find anywhere) and are happy with those. Any suggestions about other settings I should try or how I should best optimize my settings for my room?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3855 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Download a free or buy WoW or DVE. That's the "only" way to really get the basic settings down for your own TV.
If you PM WhiteSands I am sure he will send you the ones he is currently using.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3856 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsalisbury View Post
I managed to get the 65w850a from Fry's last week based largely on the recommendations from this thread. Initially I was a bit underwhelmed by the video quality while my wife was watching a few shows. During a break in her viewing I managed to configure the video settings (http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-hdtv-settings) and things look much better now.

I don't have a calibration disc, so I'm currently reliant upon others for the configuration. It seems that most people here are using WhiteSands' settings (which I can't find anywhere) and are happy with those. Any suggestions about other settings I should try or how I should best optimize my settings for my room?
Ask Whitesand’s to email his settings to you. He is very helpful.

I have Whitesand’s setting for standard and vivid - very good if you ask me but i usually use these settings when watching with a group [visitors].They loved it! (and my wife love it too).

For my daily viewing including watching BluRay I use AustinJerry in XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - using cinema1. I know that different sets/models different settings, but i find it very good for my taste. If you want bright settings, this may not be for you but I will suggest you try it first and give it a day.

I tried most that i found in this thread as well [Cnet and S&V included). Look for AVmanic's setting and try that too (I find this also good) You can start with these settings and tweak and decide which one you like most.

And as suggested you can do it your own. AustinJerry do have a write up and I will probably use it as a resource if I ever decide to do calibration on my own.
WhiteSands likes this.

Last edited by FiloD; 07-04-2014 at 10:00 PM.
post #3857 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Liked: 13
Can someone tell me the most basic settings i need to do for calibrating the TV ? Should just request Whitesand's for the same ?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3858 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmundy View Post
Can someone tell me the most basic settings i need to do for calibrating the TV ? Should just request Whitesand's for the same ?
WhiteSands settings are on here already - go back page by page from here and you will find them - they were posted not that long ago.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3859 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Whitesand's settings will be a good start. For standard and vivid, I decided to keep it. Request him to email it to you... a lot of suggestions and explanations from him that I found very helpful when I started.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3860 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko View Post
WhiteSands settings are on here already - go back page by page from here and you will find them - they were posted not that long ago.
Thanks.. i had found them but was wondering if they were the best start.. looks like they are
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3861 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiloD View Post
Whitesand's settings will be a good start. For standard and vivid, I decided to keep it. Request him to email it to you... a lot of suggestions and explanations from him that I found very helpful when I started.
Thanks i requested him to email me the same. Also tried the settings that are mentioned by him in the previous threads. They look pretty good so far. Does he send more detailed settings via email ?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3862 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Re: 5GHz wifi, I was surprised a base Samsung 6300 had it and this didn't when I first got the w850 and set it up. It also doesn't have the Plex app but I hdmi an htpc to it anyway and run xbmc.
You can always attach an EA-N66 to the ethernet port for 5GHz if you don't use or have a lot of 2.4 interference.
post #3863 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks i requested him to email me the same. Also tried the settings that are mentioned by him in the previous threads. They look pretty good so far. Does he send more detailed settings via email ?
Plex server comes up as an option for media streaming on mine? Though I use my Synology instead.
post #3864 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoucette View Post
Plex server comes up as an option for media streaming on mine? Though I use my Synology instead.
Thanks, must have been added.
Will check when I get home.
post #3865 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancaster View Post
Re: 5GHz wifi, I was surprised a base Samsung 6300 had it and this didn't when I first got the w850 and set it up. It also doesn't have the Plex app but I hdmi an htpc to it anyway and run xbmc.
You can always attach an EA-N66 to the ethernet port for 5GHz if you don't use or have a lot of 2.4 interference.
Thanks for the tip. I ended up connecting a $30 Netgear repeater and it works fine. I also use Plex, and was pleasantly surprised that the TV saw the Plex server over DNLA and the one video I clicked on played (may have been luck of the draw; I am sure a number of formats will be unsupported.

I am debating returning the TV over the inability to output Netflix 5.1 sound. I have spent a bit of time online and have not been able to figure out if this TV can do it in any way. I find it surprising that there are 100s of pages of discussion about picture quality, but no discussion on audio output. I am a heavy OTT user and audio is as important to me as picture - so inability to output 5.1 sound is going to be a deal breaker. Netflix has had 5.1 available for years, so this seems to be a puzzling ommission. Can anyone confirm if they can get 5.1 out, either over optical or HDMI/ARC?

Dan
post #3866 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBu View Post
Thanks. Not surprised about the lack of 3D, but inability to output 5.1 hurts. Will it output 5.1 over the HDMI/ARC - or is there basically no way to get 5.1 on Internet content - which would be a big miss to me.
Dan
The TV will output 5.1 via optical, just need to change output under Options, Speakers from "TV speakers" to "Audio System". If left on TV speakers, optical output is only 2channel.
post #3867 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM

I had to do a google search double take because I was sure I was getting discreet sound from the rear speakers of my Vizio 5.1 soundbar via optical, even from some OTA HD.
And I think I've mentioned this before, Sennheiser RS170's sound amazing off Netflix. My wife and I use them all the time when the kids go to bed. Soundstage is incredible, you'd think some of it was coming from behind you off the side.
post #3868 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancaster View Post
Thanks, must have been added.
Will check when I get home.
There is no Plex app (unlike Samsung), but the Plex server is visible through the DNLA capability. I have the same thing on my old Sony BD player, though that player does not have the codecs to play almost anything. This TV being newer, hopefully it will play many formats, but unlike the Plex app, won't play all.

I assume still no Vudu on Bravia TVs?
post #3869 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post
The TV will output 5.1 via optical, just need to change output under Options, Speakers from "TV speakers" to "Audio System". If left on TV speakers, optical output is only 2channel.
Thanks, that's great news. I think viper yesterday answered my question in the negative, so hopefully he was mistaken.
post #3870 of 4498 Old 07-01-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
just picked up the 850a at bob for 1799 and am in the process of setting it up. Whitesands would it be possible for you to pm me over your calibrations? It would be much appreciated. Thanks!
WhiteSands likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page