Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4170 Old 12-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 412
These are my 3D settings. This set playing a 3D blu-ray disk will amaze you when set to Vivid.

Press Home on the remote, Settings then Picture and screen settings.

left click on either picture for a large view.

These settings can be done if your playing a 3D disk in your blu-ray player.

I did not have a 3D disk playing at the time so 3D shows to be Off and the 3D depth was not adjustable.

I have the 3D depth set to High. The 3D glasses brightness is also set to High which easily overcomes any darkness when using the 3D glasses. Once you play a 3D disk, these settings go into effect automatically. You remove the disk the set auto switches back to your previous chosen picture-mode selection.

Auto 1 is the selection that does the auto 3D switching for non-games. Auto 2, is for auto switching when it sees any 3D gaming.

left click on either picture for a large view.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4170 Old 12-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am thinking about buying this set. My only concern is it is 120Hz compared to 240hz. I am debating whether to go with Sansung 65F8000 which is 240 HZ.

Will this difference in 120 and 240 make a big difference in picture quality. Will the fast action movie or fast action sport (hockey and football) look better on the 240HZ led compared to 120Hz

in terms of motion blur.
post #363 of 4170 Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboy1 View Post

I am thinking about buying this set. My only concern is it is 120Hz compared to 240hz. I am debating whether to go with Sansung 65F8000 which is 240 HZ. Will this difference in 120 and 240 make a big

difference in picture quality. Will the fast action movie or fast action sport (hockey and football) look better on the 240HZ led compared to 120Hz in terms of motion blur.

Typically yes (more hz = better; but this also depends on the processor engine thats performing this and I think Sony has the lead).

Have the w850 and seen both the SamsungF8000 and W850 in action side by side. even at 120hz the Sony outshines the Samsung processor. This has always been the case - ever since my first LCD 5 years ago with Samsung, my sisters Sony just always had an edge in processing. I also recently purchased the Samsung 7100 which has 240hz but was very disappointed, returned it, and purchased the w850 - while its not perfect (to my eyes) its better than any samsung on the market in terms of image processing, only TV I could see outperforming this is the w900 (which has sony's true 240hz), but that only comes in a 55in screen size.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #364 of 4170 Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Why, why can't Sony make a 70" version of this set? I'd be willing to pay maybe $300 more biggrin.gif for a 70" version! Have to wait and see what's announced next month I guess.... Gerry
post #365 of 4170 Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11

Joined the owner's club this weekend.  Completely satisfied and little to no vingetting that I see.

Even the out of the box settings are pretty good, but I'll still be calibrating it when the new tower speakers are delivered.

DaverJ likes this.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #366 of 4170 Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Hello AVS,

I just brought this TV last week from Best Buy for 2499.  All I have to say is, if you on the fence about this TV, don't be.  This is one pretty TV.  I'm going to have to go back and watch all of my BRs again.  I played The Avengers BR and WOW!  I am looking forward to enjoying this TV.  Like I said BUY IT!!!

DaverJ likes this.
post #367 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Heads Up on the w850a Motionflow setting.

After a lot more testing using the calibration disk for motionflow, I believe I finally found the sweet spot for Sony's, motionflow XR-480. Before I had the motionflow set to Standard (default) which looks great during fast paced games.

I found that the motion flow works best with the 'scene selection' set to General. I see no Judder or motion blur during the live pro football games. The score update ticker sometimes at the bottom of the screen jerks at times but it's worth it to see the game without any motion blur problems.
updated January 1st, 2014
post #368 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Liked: 10
@WhiteSands

What disk did you use?

Leon McKee
post #369 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 AM

My KDL-65W850A was damaged during shipping so it's another week of waiting. All of the styrofoam on the side of the box that houses the stand was destroyed and resulted in the stand impacting the TV. I would say we're talking about a major impact from a large object as there was virtually no damage to the box. Just goes to show that it's a good idea to completely remove and inspect the TV "before" the delivery agent leaves the house even if it's to cold to turn the unit on for testing. I would of had no clue about the extent of the damage if I had not removed the TV. This is my 6th TV from Amazon in 8 years and the first one I've had to return!

Leon McKee
post #370 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Just ordered the "Antec Bias Lighting for HDTV with 51.1-Inch Cable" as my media room is pretty dark. I have CFLs, right now, and don't want to purchase dimming versions. I plan to upgrade to LED lights when the prices drop to a more reasonable level. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if the Bias Lighting works as well as I've heard to does!

Leon McKee
post #371 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 13
For those of you that own the 65" version. Have you noticed any vertical banding on these sets?
post #372 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post

@WhiteSands

What disk did you use?

Leon McKee

I use the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd edition, blu-ray calibration disk. Their is another a little better but you have to have a laptop near your TV screen as it has a screen usb cabled sensor you place over the TV screen to work with white/black, various levels of gray and color levels.

Their is a Disney's WOW disk that many use. It much simpler to use and many have good results with it and it cost about half what the Spears & Munsil did. You can read the customer reviews on Amazon for the 3 or 4 most popular TV calibration disk.

Sorry to hear about your TV being damaged. I also bought mine from Amazon and was it delivered by 2 men from the carrier, CEVA. They unsnapped the 6 or 8 releases near the floor then lifted the large heavy box cover together. They placed the TV up on the TV cabinet and connected the hdmi cable from the dish network and the outside TV antenna. They turned the set on to make sure it worked. They had one more set to deliver in our town before dark then the 85 mile trip back to El Paso where they came from.
post #373 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueCanon View Post

For those of you that own the 65" version. Have you noticed any vertical banding on these sets?

Not on my set. I think the Triluminos filter over the ultra bright LED's may prevent any banding or flashlighting. You can look back on top of page 10 where I was trying to produce any banding with a screen shot from this w850a set. You might produce some if you run the brightness above the 60% level. I find a setting from 48 to 55 works best on vivid, standard and custom. The brightness adjustment also has a effect on the sets deep blacks if you go much above the 55 level.

Note the blue you see in the picture is the corner of the TV stand and TV. I had at the time a blue rather bright nightlight in the wall outlet just to the left of the set.
post #374 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't posted any screen shots from my TV screen in a while. This one is animated but you can see just how detailed this set's picture is along with it's deep blacks. I hand held the camera is why the pictures is a bit tilted. Check out how clear the picture is, colors look great and I love the sharp details this TV produces.

left click on the picture to see what I am talking about.

post #375 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 01:12 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks WhiteSands,
I'm not sure why I didn't see your post when I did my initial search. Must have been user error.
post #376 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 08:22 PM

Hi I am new to this AVS forum.  I also have purchased and am thoroughly enjoying the Sony 65W850A.  I tried a Samsung 7050 (Costco) and a Sony 70r520a .  Both bad, as this W850 is fantastic.

I am having an audio problem, thought.  When I switch channels using TWC HD box and B & K surround amp, I get a loud cackling sound.  Once it stops the sound is just great.

I Googled this problem but have found no answers or solutions.

Ideas anyone?  thank you

post #377 of 4170 Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerhs View Post

Hi I am new to this AVS forum.  I also have purchased and am thoroughly enjoying the Sony 65W850A.  I tried a Samsung 7050 (Costco) and a Sony 70r520a .  Both bad, as this W850 is fantastic.

I am having an audio problem, though.  When I switch channels using TWC HD box and B & K surround amp, I get a loud cackling sound.  Once it stops the sound is just great.

I Googled this problem but have found no answers or solutions.

Ideas anyone?  thank you

Welcome Rogerhs to the AVS fourms..

I really doubt it's your time-warner cable box. How are you connecting the audio from the cable box to the amp. Using hdmi, coaxial or optical cable as it could be a defective cable but I doubt it. The amp should have a amp for each speaker so if the noise is in all the speakers it could be the power supply introducing the noise. Another test would be to disconnect the cable connection from your amp to see if that eliminates the noise.

Another would be to turn on the amp when it's fully cooled off and with no external input see if it still has the noise after it's turned back on. It would be nice if you had another sound source to better see if it's the amp or the cable-box. Others here may have a better idea how to find the problem.
post #378 of 4170 Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
WOW WOW WOW!!! Just took delivery of this AMAZING SET!!! I just finished watching Fast and Furious 6 on blu-ray and it looked incredible! I just set it up didn't fiddle with any setting and put on a blu-ray; the out of the box settings are excellent. Cant imagine how this set will looked once calibrated!!! Best TV I've ever owned, it even looks better than the 4k xbr I had a few months back... no joke! Very happy with my purchase! Thanks to the forum and this thread I picked an excellent set!!!
Nicolas23 likes this.

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #379 of 4170 Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 AM

thank you White Sands.  The confusing thing is that this noise did not happen a few days ago with the 70 inch Sony 520a, at all. nor with the Samsung 65 7050 nor with the previous old DLP 61" Samsung that I just got rid of.

I have HDMI from TV to TWC ST Box, Hdmi TV to Sony BR DVD player and Optical output from TV to B & K receiver.  I also have a power conditioner.  I have switched wires, and plugged the B & K receiver into the wall outside of the power conditioner, just in case that conditioner is the problem.

I agree the TWC box is likely no problem as the picture and sound are fine.

There is a device called a DAC.  Could there be incompatibility between 9 year old receiver being analog and new TV digital?  The B & K has no HDMI ports at all.

thanks, Roger

post #380 of 4170 Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It may be related to whether the TV continues to send an active but silent SPDIF bitstream to your B&K receiver when it loses the HDMI signal from the cable box, or whether it interrupts the SPDIF bitstream when that happens (causing the B&K to lose the incoming audio stream temporarily). Combine that with the B&K's apparently poor reaction to the loss of the SPDIF bitstream, and you get what you have here. Just a guess of course. If this is what is happening then the root of the problem is likely with your B&K receiver -- it should be able to handle this without emitting an audible popping or crackling sound.
post #381 of 4170 Old 12-11-2013, 08:26 PM

My Sony 65W850a is being delivered tomorrow by CEVA. Any advice what to check before they leave?
post #382 of 4170 Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 PM

Mine set up fast and settings were great out of the box
Best wishes you will enjoy
post #383 of 4170 Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 169
Anyone have any idea whether the price of this set is going to drop any time soon?
post #384 of 4170 Old 12-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Liked: 15
Does anyone know if the Netflix app on this TV has the 3D content on the app? I am trying to find 3D on it. I can't seem to see it on my PS3 as well.

Video: Sony KDL65-W850A LED TV, PS3 Blu-ray player 

Audio: Sony HT-SS2000 HTIB (Boo, I know!)

post #385 of 4170 Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

My Sony 65W850a is being delivered tomorrow by CEVA. Any advice what to check before they leave?

Mine, too, can't wait! Make sure they take it out of the box and you get a chance to turn it on and verify nothing is wrong. They tried to leave immediately the last time I had a TV delivered and I had to request they stay, they didn't give me a hard time but they definitely didn't want to stay if they didn't have to...
post #386 of 4170 Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchaser View Post

Mine, too, can't wait! Make sure they take it out of the box and you get a chance to turn it on and verify nothing is wrong. They tried to leave immediately the last time I had a TV delivered and I had to request they stay, they didn't give me a hard time but they definitely didn't want to stay if they didn't have to...

They delivered it but did not open it or offer to help. I inspected the outside of the box but didn't open it because I can't set it up or handle the TV when it's not on the stand.

They'll just have to come back and get it if something is wrong.
post #387 of 4170 Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

I guess I was lucky 8 week ago when the two CEVA delivery men that delivered my new TV placed the it on the TV stand and connected it up to make sure it would show the start-up SONY name.

I tonight I called Amazon's customer service to find out and was told the CEVA carrier are not required to set up the set.

Could be the reason they set up mine after the long 70 mile drive from El Paso to my house near Alamogordo, NM. That would be a long return round trip if they had just left the TV and later the set had not worked.
post #388 of 4170 Old 12-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

They delivered it but did not open it or offer to help. I inspected the outside of the box but didn't open it because I can't set it up or handle the TV when it's not on the stand.

They'll just have to come back and get it if something is wrong.

I had a friend come over and we set it up . Installing the base was very simple. I wish the base had rubber feet/non slip feet on it because it slides easily on my glass stand.

I only played with it for about 30 minutes last night., but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it - except that it makes my speakers look small smile.gif

post #389 of 4170 Old 12-13-2013, 12:57 PM

@redevil

I had to turned my PS3 on twice and the PS3 configured for the bigger screen and for 3D.  I was on NetFlix last night and saw the content for 3D.  I never knew it was on there.  I love this TV!  Enjoy!

post #390 of 4170 Old 12-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Mine arrived an hour ago and seems to be working well. Are these things supposed to come with two remotes? Mine only had one but two sets of batteries and the manual says there should be two...

Impressions...
So far the image quality is pretty good though I do have a bright-ish bar running up the right side of the screen that can be seen a bit during dark movies. I've been tweaking the settings and need a lot more time to see if I can dial it in, this thing has fewer settings than my Samsung which is nice. Turning on the impulse setting makes the screen very very smooth (this thing is being used as a PC monitor) but dims it far too much. I can compensate with the backlight but then the uniformity issues magnify, oh well. I played diablo 3 in 3d for a bit and this set seems to have far more cross talk than my Samsung D8000. The thing is I can move the cross talk between "layers" by changing a setting on the tv. I can either have the game look good and the menu look terrible or vice versa, I hope there is a solution for this! The edges seem a bit dimmer than on my Samsung but both of them have the same problem, not going to worry too much about it. Over all it seems to be a slight increase in quality over my Samsung and that's without calibration. I'm going to pull my PC calibrator out later and see if it helps and I'll probably swing for professional calibration of the panel once it breaks in though I've been told it's a scam it seemed to help the Samsung a bit. I'll post pictures once I get it mounted this evening.

I have to say that the response time on this set is as good as you will find, I'm very sensitive and can't notice a bit of input lag! It seems to be more responsive than my Samsung and the Samsung was pretty good to start with.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page