Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 131 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #3901 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the settings, WhiteSands. I was stressing out because of the banding that was very noticeable to me yesterday, but I'm glad to hear that it may improve over time and that there are some settings to help it. So far I like your custom setting the most for junky "HD" signals coming from AT&T. Vivid and Standard seem to have some extra effects that I don't like. I also appreciate your advice regarding 3D. We tried out Avatar in 3d yesterday and it was definitely too dark. I would have never known that there was a way to fix that without changing the picture settings for one of the modes.
WhiteSands likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I am getting the judder using the clear mode that I did not see before on my returned set. I can see it on cable and on bluray. On pacific rim during the scene when they are walking through the work place where they repair the robots as they walk the background judders/shakes. This affect happens on movies also, it does not happen all the time but it must be caused by certain scenes that causes the motion flow to error.

When this affect happens if I turn off the motion flow it gets worse. If I use standard I get the soap opera affect and less judder but it is still there.

Any feedback or experiences on clear mode pwill be appreciated. Thanks

That's odd. I only notice what you described using the smooth and standard setting. Have you tried turning on or off the 24p setting?
post #3903 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Interesting. U have a harmony ultimate remote. Reason you use a different sony tv model in the harmony software ?

Sent from my iPhone 5
http://twitter.com/JBoDEAN
I have an older Harmony 900. The device profile for the 65W850a in the Logitech Harmony Remote Software on the PC does not include the IR code for the Format button because it isn't on the standard remote that came with the TV. However the TV will still respond from a remote that has it (from an older Sony TV remote or a Universal remote programmed with it.) The workaround I explained was to add an older Sony TV whose remote did have Format button to the activity to get the functionality of that button.
post #3904 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post
I have an older Harmony 900. The device profile for the 65W850a in the Logitech Harmony Remote Software on the PC does not include the IR code for the Format button because it isn't on the standard remote that came with the TV. However the TV will still respond from a remote that has it (from an older Sony TV remote or a Universal remote programmed with it.) The workaround I explained was to add an older Sony TV whose remote did have Format button to the activity to get the functionality of that button.
Thanks. I meant to say "I" have a Harmony Ultimate remote.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #3905 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey folks,

What a great place for information on this tv. From all the reviews I decided to get one at fryz today for $1499! Sale ends this weekend I think.

In anycase, Hello Whitesand, I hope I can get the settings that everyone is raving about on the forum for this tv. I would really appreciate it.

I'm currently setting everything up, looking forward to seeing the quality.

thanks
post #3906 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Under Picture & Display // Screen / what are recommended under here? Should Wide Mode be FULL, Auto Wide OFF, Auto Display Area ON or OFF? Right now I have it OFF, with Display Area FULL PIXEL under it......

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #3907 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Best Buy delivered my W850A this morning and it's mounted on the wall where the 60" Sharp had been. It's an April 2014 build. I've been watching various news channels, tennis, soccer and other shows and I see none of the issues I've read about on this forum. I have WS's adjustment list but so far I have not changed any factory settings. The colors, blacks, skin tones...all beautiful. It can only get better with some of the recommended tweaks. I have not tried a BD yet, or the 3D. Will play with it tomorrow and see how much better some adjustments can make it. I hooked up the surround sound right away so can't comment on the factory speakers.

I currently use a PS3 for BD (never play games) but am considering buying an OPPO BDP-103 because I've read so many positive reviews on it. Any other players I should consider first?
post #3908 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post
OK guys you ask for a Cinema calibration and here it is. It metered in better than standard and the gray scale and colors are spot on Rec709.

Scene Select: Cinema

Setting Memory: Common

Picture Mode: Cinema 1

Backlight: 6

Picture: 90

Brightness: 50

Color: 55

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Noise Reduction: Off

Dot Noise Reduction: Off

Reality Creation: Off

Video Area Detection: Off (gray out)

Resolution: 10 (gray out)

Noise Filtering: min (gray out)

Motionflow: Standard

CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contract Enhancer: Off

Gamma: 0

LED Dynamic Control: Standard

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color Off

White Balance

R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -6
B-Gain: -5
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Enhancer: Off (gray out)

Display Speed: Off (gray out)

Eco: Off

OK guys I am done for a while or the wife is going to kill me. Have fun.
I assume these are your current/final Cinema settings. Just put them on, and WOW. Thanks, appreciate it a lot!

post #3909 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjnaz View Post
Best Buy delivered my W850A this morning and it's mounted on the wall where the 60" Sharp had been. It's an April 2014 build. I've been watching various news channels, tennis, soccer and other shows and I see none of the issues I've read about on this forum. I have WS's adjustment list but so far I have not changed any factory settings. The colors, blacks, skin tones...all beautiful. It can only get better with some of the recommended tweaks. I have not tried a BD yet, or the 3D. Will play with it tomorrow and see how much better some adjustments can make it. I hooked up the surround sound right away so can't comment on the factory speakers.

I currently use a PS3 for BD (never play games) but am considering buying an OPPO BDP-103 because I've read so many positive reviews on it. Any other players I should consider first?
Can you put it on the no input screen and check for banding? You should be able to see black vertical bands, and it may help to view it off center. I have yet to see a w850a (regardless of build date) that does not have this.
post #3910 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Under Picture & Display // Screen / what are recommended under here? Should Wide Mode be FULL, Auto Wide OFF, Auto Display Area ON or OFF? Right now I have it OFF, with Display Area FULL PIXEL under it......
Try this (again it is up to you if acceptable)
Wide Mode Full (PS3 adjust to MAX)
Auto Wide & Auto Display Area = Off
Display Area = Full Pixel
post #3911 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post
That's odd. I only notice what you described using the smooth and standard setting. Have you tried turning on or off the 24p setting?
How do you turn off the 24p setting for cable and blu-Ray? Thanks.
post #3912 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I assume these are your current/final Cinema settings. Just put them on, and WOW. Thanks, appreciate it a lot!
AVmanic's first Cinema1 settings 2/26/14 post #1529
Redone 3/4/14 post#1634 before he left the 65W850 forums (If I am not mistaken I think he returned his unit and decided to get a different TV)

Reason I checked this is that my notes are different from your post (I have the 3/4/14)..again whatever is good to your eyes is what you should follow.
post #3913 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 PM

Quick note for anyone who has a problem watching 3D movies on the PS3: make sure you go into the system settings and reset the display settings. The PS3 needs to see that you have a 3D tv or it wont run anything in 3D. I was sitting there trying to get Avatar to show in 3D for about an hour last night .
FiloD likes this.
post #3914 of 4499 Old 07-04-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
How do you turn off the 24p setting for cable and blu-Ray? Thanks.
Not sure for cable, but I would check somewhere in the settings and for blu ray, it should be somewhere in the set up menu and it would either be set to auto, which enables 24p or off. Try flipping that on and off to see if that helps. Have you tried impulse? Aside from the flicker, it should provide you with the cleanest and purest picture mode. If you still see the problem with impulse then I'm afraid the problem is with the technology itself. If you happen to be coming from a plasma then there's no way this tv can match the motion you were used to.
post #3915 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm considering picking up this TV since it's on sale for $1699 at Best Buy today. I'm comparing it to the brand new Vizio 65" M-series which is also supposed to be a really good set, the only feature difference is the 3D on the Sony. What are people's impressions of the 3D quality of this set? Is it worth a little extra money to play around with?C-Net's review of the 850B said the 3D was incredibly bad, so I'm a little nervous about shelling out for it on the 850A.
post #3916 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 227
No comparison between the 850b and the 850a. Different panel and different features, all in favor of the 850a. 3d on the 850a is very good and my family loves 3d. No brainer.
post #3917 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 09:43 AM

This TV is onsale at frys for $1499. I don't know if BB has it in stock anymore, if they do price match with FRYs.
MordredKLB likes this.
post #3918 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 AM

Just wanted to post a quick reply and thanks to Whitesands for his generosity and settings. His settings make the picture quality even better. If anyone is looking to get one before they become unavailable, Fryz is having a sale for the tv $1499. It's definitely worth the money.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #3919 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
I'm considering picking up this TV since it's on sale for $1699 at Best Buy today. I'm comparing it to the brand new Vizio 65" M-series which is also supposed to be a really good set, the only feature difference is the 3D on the Sony. What are people's impressions of the 3D quality of this set? Is it worth a little extra money to play around with?C-Net's review of the 850B said the 3D was incredibly bad, so I'm a little nervous about shelling out for it on the 850A.
You will be amazed at the 3D quality picture and colors this W850a set can make.
post #3920 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 11:56 AM

Thanks guys. Knowing that Fry's had it for $1499 made the decision easy (since that was the price of the Vizio I was considering). I just got back from Best Buy where in-store the price is $2295. They first price matched it to their website (at $1699) and then called Fry's and confirmed it was in stock at $1499. Then they called over a 2nd manager who called Fry's again ("we need this TV today, so you're saying if I show up in 15 minutes, I can put it in my truck and drive off with it..... well, alright then.") and then agreed to the price match after making sure I knew that was a "steal." Little did he know I was about to use $1200 of Reward Zone certs, and a $150 GC my work gave me recently, and walked out with a delivery date of Thursday for $174.74. Steal indeed.

The sucky thing about all this is that we're moving in 20 days, so the TV will stay in the box until we get into the new house where there's actually room for it. That's going to be torture.
post #3921 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks AVS Forums

I ordered a refrbished sony 65w850a through Sony for $1300. After seeing on AVS forums that I could purchase a new one for $1500 at Frys I decided to cancel the Sony refurbished tv and I brought home the Frys tv yesterday. Very Very Happy. So thank you AVS forums. Also WhiteSands I would love to try your settings. How do I find them? Thank you in advance.
post #3922 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
Thanks guys. Knowing that Fry's had it for $1499 made the decision easy (since that was the price of the Vizio I was considering). I just got back from Best Buy where in-store the price is $2295. They first price matched it to their website (at $1699) and then called Fry's and confirmed it was in stock at $1499. Then they called over a 2nd manager who called Fry's again ("we need this TV today, so you're saying if I show up in 15 minutes, I can put it in my truck and drive off with it..... well, alright then.") and then agreed to the price match after making sure I knew that was a "steal." Little did he know I was about to use $1200 of Reward Zone certs, and a $150 GC my work gave me recently, and walked out with a delivery date of Thursday for $174.74. Steal indeed.

The sucky thing about all this is that we're moving in 20 days, so the TV will stay in the box until we get into the new house where there's actually room for it. That's going to be torture.
Buying stuff with points is nice; great deal. I believe Best Buy's return policy is for 15 days if you aren't satisfied, so if you leave it in the box for 20 days it might be a problem. If you can get the box next to your hook-ups, do this. Do not open the top of the box. Remove the 4 plastic 'holds' from the bottom of the box and lift the box off it's base. Pull down the foam wrap, plug in the a/c cord and your video source, turn it on, change some channels. Maybe play a BD if possible. If it looks good replace the corner foam pieces, slide the box back on and replace the plastic holds.
post #3923 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjnaz View Post
Buying stuff with points is nice; great deal. I believe Best Buy's return policy is for 15 days if you aren't satisfied, so if you leave it in the box for 20 days it might be a problem. If you can get the box next to your hook-ups, do this. Do not open the top of the box. Remove the 4 plastic 'holds' from the bottom of the box and lift the box off it's base. Pull down the foam wrap, plug in the a/c cord and your video source, turn it on, change some channels. Maybe play a BD if possible. If it looks good replace the corner foam pieces, slide the box back on and replace the plastic holds.
I might do that just because the wait will be a killer, but I'm a Rewards Elite Plus card holder which means I get a 45 day return policy, which it also confirms on the receipt, so I should be fine.
post #3924 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just curious what mounts people are using with this tv? I'm having the worst luck finding a mount that isn't a piece of junk / horribly overpriced from reviews I am reading. Any recommendations for specific mounts?
post #3925 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiloD View Post
AVmanic's first Cinema1 settings 2/26/14 post #1529
Redone 3/4/14 post#1634 before he left the 65W850 forums (If I am not mistaken I think he returned his unit and decided to get a different TV)

Reason I checked this is that my notes are different from your post (I have the 3/4/14)..again whatever is good to your eyes is what you should follow.
You're right. He returned the TV to swap over to the new Sharp Q+ series. From what I read, he was enjoying it though frustrated initially when calibrating because of the yellow pixel. I can't recall off the top of my head as to why he got rid of the Sony, but I have been playing back and forth with a variation of his updated settings and a variation of WhiteSands' settings. The only thing I don't like about the Vivid settings from WS is the excessive noise rendered because of all the "features" in the background that are maxed that are in the advanced settings that you can't get to, so I play with the Standard version too. I do love the white-whites that Vivid shows and textures that become visible. I finally got the Disney WOW disc to play with also. I'll get to that eventually. Regardless of the settings I use, I end up enjoying the picture. I'm just trying to still tone down some of the clouding in one particular area on the screen.

And thoughts on LED Dynamic Control? I think standard is too aggressive. Low seems like a good compromise. I would love to dial in the picture so I wouldn't need it at all.
post #3926 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just ordered the last one at local BB. Going to pick it up tomorrow. My old set was/is a Panasonic seven year old 54S1. I have 45 days to play with it. So what should I look for that would be deemed a problem? Besides the obvious? I wish also to have Whitesands settings handy if possible. This will be in my bedroom that is always dark. I also wish to use (don't shoot me) SOE. Thanks to any.
post #3927 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper04468 View Post
You're right. He returned the TV to swap over to the new Sharp Q+ series. From what I read, he was enjoying it though frustrated initially when calibrating because of the yellow pixel. I can't recall off the top of my head as to why he got rid of the Sony, but I have been playing back and forth with a variation of his updated settings and a variation of WhiteSands' settings. The only thing I don't like about the Vivid settings from WS is the excessive noise rendered because of all the "features" in the background that are maxed that are in the advanced settings that you can't get to, so I play with the Standard version too. I do love the white-whites that Vivid shows and textures that become visible. I finally got the Disney WOW disc to play with also. I'll get to that eventually. Regardless of the settings I use, I end up enjoying the picture. I'm just trying to still tone down some of the clouding in one particular area on the screen.

And thoughts on LED Dynamic Control? I think standard is too aggressive. Low seems like a good compromise. I would love to dial in the picture so I wouldn't need it at all.

My setting
Cinema1 Warm2 is my daily use using some from XBR forums settings. A lot have pro calibration suggestions in that forum (I start with AustinJerry's calibration) I am aware of the saying 'different sets different settings/calibration' that is why we tweak and decide ourselves

Cinema2 is my own tweaking of the Cinema 1 so i can compare when I want to change something

Standard - I copy Whitesands and my wife/or visitors loves it (wife feels the same about Cinema Warm2 little dark and some yellow, but I like it since I started to use LCD 10 years ago..she is starting to get used to my settings though)
Vivid - Whitesands with little tweaking, sometimes use for sports if there are visitors

My reading of a 900a review regarding LED Dynamic control. While different sets, you learn what it is suppose to do. What I do when I read a review, is keep all my settings and dial in on one, and stay with what I like most (example for Motion I either use low or off, LED is low, etc). Let me quote:

Black Level [LED Dynamic Control] settings, we preferred “Low“. “Standard” uses a more aggressive dimming algorithm
The aggressiveness of the dimming algorithm is adjustable via the [LED Dynamic Control] option which comes in 3 settings: “Off“, “Low” and “Standard“.

The “Standard” setting was quite aggressive: only the bottom portion of the LCD panel (where the pause icon is) would be illuminated, which in our case did not extend to the centre of the screen where our light measurement meter was placed. This gave us a black-level reading of 0 cd/m2 which is not truly representative, as well as caused fairly obvious haloing effect around the pause icon, since the number of dimmable zones is significantly less than the number of pixels on the Bravia W905A.

Engaging [LED Dynamic Control] is especially useful if your W905A is beset by screen uniformity issues like clouding or backlight bleed. Our review sample wasn’t, although there remained mild “vignetting” along the edges of the screen, not to mention a slight “dirty screen” effect noticeable during panning shots against evenly toned backdrops. These are not uncommon on edge-lit LED LCDs, considering how a limited number of side-mounted LEDs have to illuminate the entire LCD panel.

Between the two available [LED Dynamic Control] settings, we preferred “Low“.

I try to keep a worksheet of the settings in this forum as well as the XBR forums, try them (again one at a time), and keep what I like (Cnet and AVS settings are ok not just to my liking). Like you, whatever I use, pictures are great. Still tweaking
bodean likes this.
post #3928 of 4499 Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 PM

I took a uniformity picture for comparison's sake. Unfortunately, I do notice the right hand dark area during normal TV viewing (probably because the dark line is sandwiched by two white areas). It is only noticeable when the camera pans. That being said, it has been distracting while watching the World Cup. What do you think? Should I try for another set? Regardless, I'm going to wait for a little bit to see if it stops bugging me.

Derbel likes this.
post #3929 of 4499 Old 07-06-2014, 12:58 AM

Hi all

I purchased the Sony 65W850A from Fry's today and it's been 7 years since my last flatscreen TV purchase. Thanks for the Fry's deal post!

WhiteSands
I'd love to calibrate my new TV with your settings. Could you PM me with your secret sauce?
post #3930 of 4499 Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydude View Post
Hi all

I purchased the Sony 65W850A from Fry's today and it's been 7 years since my last flatscreen TV purchase. Thanks for the Fry's deal post!

WhiteSands
I'd love to calibrate my new TV with your settings. Could you PM me with your secret sauce?
Many thanks WhiteSands for the PM! We're enjoying your presets now.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page