post #4021 of 4504 Old 07-15-2014, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devza View Post
Hey Everyone

I have had this set for a little while and its been a great TV so far. However the last few months a greyish tinge has developed at the bottom right. I never noticed it when i first got it so I think its progressively getting worse. It's easily noticeable when playing dark games (outlast, Amnesia). Is this something i should be worried about and get a warranty call going on it? Thanks for all your help

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86044791/TV1.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86044791/TV2.JPG

Regards
Devza
There is a support article regarding this here:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41819
FiloD and WhiteSands like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4504 Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Everyone!

Whitesands , I ust wanted to give you a big, public thank you! I have not yet had a chance to implement your settings since I was called away from home the day after I got my TV! :-( I am very appreciative though .

Thank you!

-D
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4023 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devza View Post
Hey Everyone

I have had this set for a little while and its been a great TV so far. However the last few months a greyish tinge has developed at the bottom right. I never noticed it when i first got it so I think its progressively getting worse. It's easily noticeable when playing dark games (outlast, Amnesia). Is this something i should be worried about and get a warranty call going on it? Thanks for all your help

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86044791/TV1.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86044791/TV2.JPG

Regards
Devza
This is simply clouding although it does appear in the lower right corner which seems rare. I doubt you can barely see it without taking a screen shot. My set has clouding in two places in the lower half of the screen on each side of center with no-signal applied. I can't see it at all without taking a screen shot.

When their is no signal to the TV or from a game device or other source, then the LEDs run at twice their normal brightness which will cause clouding. With a picture on your screen from a game, blu ray or regular HDTV source you should never see any clouding on this set.

If so you may need to do a full-set reset making the TV like the day it was delivered.
post #4024 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Screen shot from my set.

steve1971, gogent, Lasdrub and 1 others like this.
post #4025 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Had one dead pixel and Sony dealer delivered replacement today. Looks fantastic still.
Lasdrub likes this.
post #4026 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
A big THANK YOU WhiteSands, your settings truly improved the pq. thanks much for sending 'em across
post #4027 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
Had one dead pixel and Sony dealer delivered replacement today. Looks fantastic still.
I am curious as to how you are receiving a new set for one dead pixel when SONY is sending a service technician to my home because my set will not turn on after 4 mos of use? This seems odd to me. I see a set not turning on a bigger issue than one dead pixel. Kudos to you but SONY is confusing.
post #4028 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Maybe he was less polite, or has been going at it longer.

Either way, I hope they make it right for you!
post #4029 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayloe View Post
I am curious as to how you are receiving a new set for one dead pixel when SONY is sending a service technician to my home because my set will not turn on after 4 mos of use? This seems odd to me. I see a set not turning on a bigger issue than one dead pixel. Kudos to you but SONY is confusing.

You are dealing with Sony instead of the retailer where you bought the TV at. The Op most likely bought at a different retailer and they are replacing the TV. If you bought from Sony or called Sony support you are at their mercy.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #4030 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You are dealing with Sony instead of the retailer where you bought the TV at. The Op most likely bought at a different retailer and they are replacing the TV. If you bought from Sony or called Sony support you are at their mercy.

I purchased my set through AMAZON. Now I question whether or not I made the correct choice in contacting SONY when maybe I should have gone through AMAZON.

I received a call from the HDTV company yesterday situated in FL that SONY works with letting me know that one of their techs here in Illinois will be contacting me in the next couple of days to setup an in-home appointment. I was very relieved that SONY did not drag their feet with this since I was on the phone with them for over three hours in the span of two days.

Im hoping this issue gets resolved quickly as well. Thanks.
post #4031 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
This.It was a high end dealer. And I am in Finland and even got free 5 year warranty for the TV.
Cayloe likes this.
post #4032 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sony 65W850a reviews

Quote:
I purchased my set through AMAZON. Now I question whether or not I made the correct choice in contacting SONY when maybe I should have gone through AMAZON.

I received a call from the HDTV company yesterday situated in FL that SONY works with letting me know that one of their techs here in Illinois will be contacting me in the next couple of days to setup an in-home appointment. I was very relieved that SONY did not drag their feet with this since I was on the phone with them for over three hours in the span of two days.

Im hoping this issue gets resolved quickly as well. Thanks.

4 months is past most return windows, but you could have given Amazon a ring. They might have directed you to Sony, but you never know till you try. Each retailer handles things differently through. What works for one may not work for another.

From a quick look the user you originally quoted only had the set for ~1 week which is well within most return periods.

Last edited by Ph8te; 07-16-2014 at 12:45 PM.
post #4033 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Here is one of my better scenic screen shots that I have posted in these forums over the last 8 months. This set makes a fantastic picture due to it's many Triluminos colors.

I love the colors on the set. I couldn't help myself. I set Live Color to high.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4034 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasdrub View Post
I love the colors on the set. I couldn't help myself. I set Live Color to high.

Live Color set to high? Wow!
post #4035 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Yeah that would be like a live cartoon with it set to high
post #4036 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Using picture in picture with a Apple TV

I have a directtv box with hdmi and a apple tv that uses hdmi. I just noticed that this tv has a picture in picture mode. However, it looks like I can't use the picture in picture with the directtv and appletv. Does anybody know how to do this?
post #4037 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
My bigger concern is why your TV won't turn on after 4 months.

I very much like this TV, but have been burned by Sony reliability in the past with an XBR9. I did not buy an extended waranty, so I hope your issue is not a sign of things to come.
post #4038 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

After the first month they will repair sets if they can. If it is a panel problem (dead pixel) they no longer replace panel so they will replace it with a refurbish set. The refurbish sets I have been told are actually really good because they have been checked completely for problems.
post #4039 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post
My bigger concern is why your TV won't turn on after 4 months.

I very much like this TV, but have been burned by Sony reliability in the past with an XBR9. I did not buy an extended waranty, so I hope your issue is not a sign of things to come.
I am waiting to hear from the service technician and once the issue is found and hopefully resolved easily I will post the issue and answer.

Yes, I really don't like that its only 4 mos old and has stopped working.

It is reassuring that their refurbished sets, if that's the answer, are of good quality. My panel/picture is really good so I'm hoping I don't have to give it up.
post #4040 of 4504 Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am waiting to hear from the service technician and once the issue is found and hopefully resolved easily I will post the issue and answer.

Yes, I really don't like that its only 4 mos old and has stopped working.

It is reassuring that their refurbished sets, if that's the answer, are of good quality. My panel/picture is really good so I'm hoping I don't have to give it up.
A good technician should go right to the questionable circuit board and replace it.
This sounds like a defective power board. Best to ask him what board fixed the set if that's what the problem is. If it's a bad board he may be able to point out the defective component on the board as sometimes a tech can visually see the failed part.

Out of the about 400 sets bought my members here in these forums over the last 9 months, I never seen one with this particular problem.
steve1971 and tubetwister like this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 07-16-2014 at 09:25 PM.
post #4041 of 4504 Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
A good technician should go right to the questionable circuit board and replace it.
This sounds like a defective power board. Best to ask him what board fixed the set if that's what the problem is. If it's a bad board he may be able to point out the defective component on the board as sometimes a tech can visually see the failed part.

Out of the about 400 sets bought my members here in these forums over the last 9 months, I never seen one with this particular problem.
This is why I am very eager to know what the issue is. And yes, one is the loneliest number.
post #4042 of 4504 Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 AM

Hey, so I'm new to the tv buying world, but after some research I was very interested in this TV. However I am trying a very hard time actually finding one to buy anywhere around me. I contacted Sony and they said they only have refurbished models available. Not knowing much, are those any more risky to buy (ie more problems or more likely to break)? Or is there any other reputable place I could buy one, Amazon seems to only have used ones that I can find.

Thanks!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4043 of 4504 Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Liked: 11
Just an FYI

when the software on your tv is being updated the TV will turn on and off by itself
you should not disturb the install until you get a message that it is finished

jc
post #4044 of 4504 Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
Yeah that would be like a live cartoon with it set to high
Yeah, I'm having fun with it lol. It's actually less intense than on Vivid mode. I'm not sure that I'll leave it like that, but it's kinda cool right now. It is amazing for nature shows, but I could just switch to Vivid for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylo View Post
Please keep us updated with what happens at the service call. I'm pretty sure all of us have some degree of dark banding which is accentuated with panning. Some of us are fine with it, others not so much! Curious as to if anything simple can be done about it.
Just got off of the phone with Sony. I could see the dark areas on static screens and it was no good. I can see three distinct areas about three inches wide going through the top half or bottom half of the screen that are either too light or too dark during different content. I wish that they told me more, but all that they said was that it was defective and that they would send a new one. I don't expect a perfectly even screen, but maybe something better. Here is a picture I posted earlier of my screen.

WhiteSands likes this.
post #4045 of 4504 Old 07-17-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Just got off of the phone with Sony. I could see the dark areas on static screens and it was no good. I can see three distinct areas about three inches wide going through the top half or bottom half of the screen that are either too light or too dark during different content. I wish that they told me more, but all that they said was that it was defective and that they would send a new one. I don't expect a perfectly even screen, but maybe something better. Here is a picture I posted earlier of my screen.

Good to hear there's a plan in place. Excited to see some pics of the new one when you get it!
steve1971, WhiteSands and Lasdrub like this.
post #4046 of 4504 Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 AM

Liked: 6
I just watched a couple of hours of Avatar in 3D and it was fantastic. I agree with many others, the best 3D I've ever seen. The PQ of this set is beautiful, so glad I didn't spend twice as much on my 2nd choice of the Samsung 8500 plasma.

I recently switched from a PS3 for DVD's to an OPPO BDP-103 and I also use a Pioneer VSX9040 receiver. The first time I tried my preferred connection between this equipment the surround sound worked fine with regular tv and DVD's but when I tried a BD I no longer had audio. After messing with various inputs between the 3 units I managed to get the surround sound working with a BD of Avatar but when I swap it for the 3D version the surround sound disappears. Anyone have a guess as to why switching from BD to 3D BD would change audio settings?
WhiteSands and Lasdrub like this.
post #4047 of 4504 Old 07-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagold99 View Post
I have a directtv box with hdmi and a apple tv that uses hdmi. I just noticed that this tv has a picture in picture mode. However, it looks like I can't use the picture in picture with the directtv and appletv. Does anybody know how to do this?
if you find out please let me know.....thanks

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #4048 of 4504 Old 07-18-2014, 08:17 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Yeah, I'm having fun with it lol. It's actually less intense than on Vivid mode. I'm not sure that I'll leave it like that, but it's kinda cool right now. It is amazing for nature shows, but I could just switch to Vivid for that.

My screen looks very similar to yours. Yes, let us all know how you make out with the new TV. If Sony considers yours defective they should consider mine defective as well. My bands are not quite as dark as yours but close.
Lasdrub likes this.
post #4049 of 4504 Old 07-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Whitesands Settings

I would love to get your settings WS. I had mine calibrated and it looks terrible. Please share them when able. THANKS!
post #4050 of 4504 Old 07-18-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem102166 View Post
I would love to get your settings WS. I had mine calibrated and it looks terrible. Please share them when able. THANKS!

Professionally Calibrated? If you paid for a service and weren't happy, I hope you said something to the calibrator.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread