Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 137 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 385Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4081 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Shaun.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the discussion guys! Hard to decide between the 60w850b and the 65w850a based on everything everyone has said here.

On the one hand the w850b is getting great reviews and approaches w900a in black levels according to Cnet and like mentioned above, it seems to be the new sweet spot in Sony's lineup. Reviewers seem to like it a lot more than the w950b which is the IPS successor to the 65w850a.
On the other the w850a is 5" bigger and technically better on paper with its extra features but more prone to clouding/banding/flashlighting (although Raitzi did point out the review w850b set on rtings had some clouding issues too).
Could it be that this year even though the w850b (60" version VA panel, not the 70" IPS panel) doesn't have triluminos or local dimming, it is just as good if not better than the w850a? I'm willing to sacrifice screen size for viewing quality.

Is the vignetting / dark side edges inherent to the w850a or are the few posted here just problem sets? Like I said earlier, I noticed it immediately on a demo set before reading this thread and learning others had the same problem. I know there was an ice rub method to work out the vignetting but it appears to only work for some.

Last edited by Shaun.; 07-20-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Shaun. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4082 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Member
 
Mr. Kong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
It would seem the Sony W800/850B would be the sweet spot at Sony with respect to price vs performance
This is my conclusion, too, and I really love the extra screen real estate of the 70", so I'm hoping the tech on the IPS panel at least matches last year's quality, even without the Trilumi & XTDR features of the 950b.
Mr. Kong is offline  
post #4083 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 4,071
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Everyone seems to be lumping the w850b into one screen type but I think that the 70w850b is a IPS panel. It's the 60w850b that uses a VA panel.
Raitzi likes this.

Last edited by andy sullivan; 07-20-2014 at 07:48 PM.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #4084 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,734
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Everyone seems to be lumping the w850b into one screen type buy I think that the 70w850b is a IPS panel.
Andy the W850B uses the IPS Panel.
steve1971 is offline  
post #4085 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lodolfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 163
WhiteSands, if you would be kind enough to PM me your settings I'd be most appreciative! Thanks!
lodolfan is online now  
post #4086 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Andy the W850B uses the IPS Panel.
Both the 60" and 70" versions of the w850b are VA panels. The w950b uses IPS panels in all sizes.
*UFO* is offline  
post #4087 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Member
 
Shaun.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I believe UFO is correct, both w850b sizes are VA panels.

I checked out the w850a again and this demo model also had the darker edges, very noticeable in lighter scenes. Seems they all have it?
It reminded me of older rear projection TVs.

Wanted the 5" extra size but looks like the 60w850b might be the better option for those who don't want the vignetting.
Shaun. is offline  
post #4088 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,215
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Everyone seems to be lumping the w850b into one screen type but I think that the 70w850b is a IPS panel. It's the 60w850b that uses a VA panel.
re tube twister

I believe Andy is quite correct the 70" are not on my panel list either rest of 8x/8.5x under 70" are AUO AMVA
AFAIK anyway .

IIRC they had orphan panels last year in the 70" R5 sets I think were 1080p Sharp ASV panels where as other R5 were AUO AMVA maybe ?


I think maybe this year 70" is orphan in the series again maybe S-IPS ?

contrast /black level spec will give it up as being an VA or IPS though and narrow it down to maybe 1 or 2 suppliers .


I have last years 40" R4 in the bedroom the black levels and contrast pretty much equal this years 8x and 8.5x Sonys
when I set the brightness at 50- 53 in pitch black room letter bars disappear into the darkness like the thin black bezel.
all you see is movie and great contrast .............. OTOH if I could just make it grow 10 or 15" ☺☺.

I like that set up better than a (too few local Dimming Zone Vizio approach ) which to me is more of a patchwork thing '
ofc on the 9x 9.5x or any of the FALD Sonys that is another matter all together but nobody'a getting one of those for the price of a Vizio either .

I still think the 65 and under 8x/8.5x are in a good spot if you can get a good panel and you don't have to do through
perfect panel withdrawls or worse yet PDP withdrawls TBH I watch the Sony more though it's right next to my computer desk in here so I can watch TV and troll AVS at the same time ☺☺☺

luckily after diy visual calibrating The R4 worked out fine for the BD again now if I could make grow ....

2013 Sony R450A Black: 0.022 cd/m2 Contrast: 4750 : 1 Samsung SPVA

2014 Sony W800B Black: 0.020 cd/m2 Contrast: 5260 : 1 AUO AMVA5

2014 Sony W850B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 4273 : probably AUO AMVA *panel mfr/type/spec may vary by size

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-20-2014 at 10:18 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #4089 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just picked my 65w850a today on sale at frys. Got a chance to try whitesands settings and they really brought the set to life. Big thanks to him, try them if you haven't just to get an idea!
Sean Muldrow is offline  
post #4090 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,215
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Muldrow View Post
Just picked my 65w850a today on sale at frys. Got a chance to try whitesands settings and they really brought the set to life. Big thanks to him, try them if you haven't just to get an idea!
cool maybe has an AUO AMVA active 3D panel some of those can be pretty good .
tubetwister is offline  
post #4091 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 4,071
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Just curious since we're talking about different Sony Panels but where did they get that curved panel from? The the 990 I think it's called. Who makes a curved LED/LCD panel and is it only made for Sony?
andy sullivan is online now  
post #4092 of 4868 Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Member
 
Shaun.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Muldrow View Post
Just picked my 65w850a today on sale at frys. Got a chance to try whitesands settings and they really brought the set to life. Big thanks to him, try them if you haven't just to get an idea!
Hey Sean, on lighter or all white screens do you notice any vignetting on your new set (darker vertical edges)? What is the build date on yours? Thanks!
Shaun. is offline  
post #4093 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 02:09 AM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,215
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Just curious since we're talking about different Sony Panels but where did they get that curved panel from? The the 990 I think it's called. Who makes a curved LED/LCD panel and is it only made for Sony?



Samsung makes plenty of curved panels for their own sets in different sizes also .Sony could be buying Samsung panels wouldn't be the first time !
tubetwister is offline  
post #4094 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Samsung makes plenty of curved panels for their own sets in different sizes also .Sony could be buying Samsung panels wouldn't be the first time !
The panel in the s900a is supplied by LG, and is an IPS panel.
*UFO* is offline  
post #4095 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
re tube twister

I believe Andy is quite correct the 70" are not on my panel list either rest of 8x/8.5x under 70" are AUO AMVA
AFAIK anyway .

IIRC they had orphan panels last year in the 70" R5 sets I think were 1080p Sharp ASV panels where as other R5 were AUO AMVA maybe ?


I think maybe this year 70" is orphan in the series again maybe S-IPS ?

contrast /black level spec will give it up as being an VA or IPS though and narrow it down to maybe 1 or 2 suppliers .


I have last years 40" R4 in the bedroom the black levels and contrast pretty much equal this years 8x and 8.5x Sonys
when I set the brightness at 50- 53 in pitch black room letter bars disappear into the darkness like the thin black bezel.
all you see is movie and great contrast .............. OTOH if I could just make it grow 10 or 15" ☺☺.

I like that set up better than a (too few local Dimming Zone Vizio approach ) which to me is more of a patchwork thing '
ofc on the 9x 9.5x or any of the FALD Sonys that is another matter all together but nobody'a getting one of those for the price of a Vizio either .

I still think the 65 and under 8x/8.5x are in a good spot if you can get a good panel and you don't have to do through
perfect panel withdrawls or worse yet PDP withdrawls TBH I watch the Sony more though it's right next to my computer desk in here so I can watch TV and troll AVS at the same time ☺☺☺

luckily after diy visual calibrating The R4 worked out fine for the BD again now if I could make grow ....

2013 Sony R450A Black: 0.022 cd/m2 Contrast: 4750 : 1 Samsung SPVA

2014 Sony W800B Black: 0.020 cd/m2 Contrast: 5260 : 1 AUO AMVA5

2014 Sony W850B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 4273 : probably AUO AMVA *panel mfr/type/spec may vary by size

No testing needs to be done to determine what panel is in the 70". You can see in the product specs that the 70w850b comes with active 3d glasses. Also, I have seen the 70" model, it is clearly a VA panel (and a very low quality one at that).
*UFO* is offline  
post #4096 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 03:51 AM
Member
 
desmoface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great thread. Whitesands, if you wouldn't mind sending your settings to me, Im about to pull the trigger on a 60" sony and would love to try your settings. Thanks in advance.

Steve
desmoface is offline  
post #4097 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lodolfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Just want to say thank you, Whitesands, for taking the time to send me your settings. Looking forward to applying them to my set tonight.

I appreciate your help and the effort you've donated assisting the AVS community. Thanks again!
lodolfan is online now  
post #4098 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 AM
Member
 
desmoface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, a big thanks to Whitesands for sharing his settings!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
Just want to say thank you, Whitesands, for taking the time to send me your settings. Looking forward to applying them to my set tonight.

I appreciate your help and the effort you've donated assisting the AVS community. Thanks again!
desmoface is offline  
post #4099 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Member
 
viper04468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida (don't hold it against me)
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So I've been playing with the TV for a while now and am generally very happy with the results. Though I've got to admit that it's on par with my 2008 Samsung 46LN950a, which is true LED backlit with local dimming. That set has amazing black levels, but it's Achilles heel is that it suffers from some blooming.

I keep going back and forth on a couple settings on the Sony. Lately I've been leaving the LED Dynamic Control to OFF, since on really dark movies I've seen the screen shut off the LEDs when no light is present and then go bright again when a small light source comes in. Right now I'm finding it less jarring leaving the control off, but I flip it back and forth. Anyone else do that too?
viper04468 is offline  
post #4100 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Raitzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This set has native contrast ratio of 5000:1. So it will do good even without led control.
Raitzi is offline  
post #4101 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
bodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
WhiteSands, if you would be kind enough to PM me your settings I'd be most appreciative! Thanks!
You also might want to try these settings. I've been using them for about 3 weeks and have to say they give a very real looking picture with cinema mode. The tv uses the same panel as our w850a

The settings are in AustinJerrys signature at the end of his post. Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
lodolfan and jpw16 like this.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Bose Soundtouch 130 soundbar || Synology DS716+ NAS || XBOX One ||

Xbox Live : BoDEAN
bodean is offline  
post #4102 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lodolfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
You also might want to try these settings. I've been using them for about 3 weeks and have to say they give a very real looking picture with cinema mode. The tv uses the same panel as our w850a

The settings are in AustinJerrys signature at the end of his post. Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
Thanks bodean.

I was very close to swapping my 70w850b for the X900A this weekend but decided to give the 70 an opportunity. I really have seen no issues with the panel except the 3D which doesn't seem so bad at times.

Reasons: didn't want to give up the 5" and the spouse is happy with how the 70 fits the decor aspect since it's already mounted. Still have 30 days to decide since I'm BBY Elite. We'll see but thanks again.

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16

LordXarsNexus to Shmoopy- "We're not playing Soccer, we're playing Rocket League!"
lodolfan is online now  
post #4103 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Member
 
Mr. Kong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
I was very close to swapping my 70w850b for the X900A this weekend but decided to give the 70 an opportunity. I really have seen no issues with the panel except the 3D which doesn't seem so bad at times.
I'm probably buying my 70w850b this afternoon. Is the 3D as bad as they say? I won't use 3D much, but I will use it. I've also been wondering if the jump from 60" to 70" is all positive. No drawbacks? (Other than price, obviously.) Mrs. Kong would be a lot happier to know it's unilaterally better rather than a pros & cons type scenario.

Have you tried using WhiteSands settings on the 70?
PS WhiteSands, I'd love to see how your settings work on this TV if you wouldn't mind PMing them over?
Mr. Kong is offline  
post #4104 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 4,071
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 395
They work great on this set and are posted here in the 3350-3370 post range.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #4105 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lodolfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kong View Post
I'm probably buying my 70w850b this afternoon. Is the 3D as bad as they say? I won't use 3D much, but I will use it. I've also been wondering if the jump from 60" to 70" is all positive. No drawbacks? (Other than price, obviously.) Mrs. Kong would be a lot happier to know it's unilaterally better rather than a pros & cons type scenario.

Have you tried using WhiteSands settings on the 70?
PS WhiteSands, I'd love to see how your settings work on this TV if you wouldn't mind PMing them over?
I actually received his settings last night and will test tonight if I have the opportunity.

The only issue I see with 70w850b is the ghosting and crosstalk. 2D picture specifically BluRays look amazing especially for a TV this size. Never having 3D on a TV before, the only the 3D I know is the active 3D on my set and movie theater 3D which I assume is passive.

What's funny is that it seems the 3D quality is hit or miss depending on the content. I now own a few 3D titles and of the few, Titanic 3D looks amazing. Its clear, colorful, lots of depth and no ghosting. Rio 2 looks clear, not too colorful, not much ghosting but I found the pop out and depth lacking.

On the other hand. the 3D demos on the S&M disc have extreme ghosting. Very nice depth and colors but lots of ghosting that makes it difficult to watch.

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16

LordXarsNexus to Shmoopy- "We're not playing Soccer, we're playing Rocket League!"
lodolfan is online now  
post #4106 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I will definitely check and let you know. Never even looked cux I've been just fiddling with the set since I just got it yesterday. I'll dive deeper once I get home this evening.
Sean Muldrow is offline  
post #4107 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun. View Post
Hey Sean, on lighter or all white screens do you notice any vignetting on your new set (darker vertical edges)? What is the build date on yours? Thanks!
I will definitely check and let you know. Never even looked cux I've been just fiddling with the set since I just got it yesterday. I'll dive deeper once I get home this evening.
Sean Muldrow is offline  
post #4108 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Raitzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just for the sake of the thread could you concentrate discussion to w850a model (w850b has at least three other threads now )
bodean likes this.
Raitzi is offline  
post #4109 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Member
 
Shaun.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sean: Thanks man, really curious to know.

Raitzi: Hey, definitely. Sorry to derail, just on the verge of reaching a decision between the two and want to make sure it's the right choice.

What I'd really like to know is how many w850a owners have / don't have vignetting and how many have had success with white sand's ice rub method? Those that say they don't have vignetting, have you tried looking for it on a lighter colored background scene?
Shaun. is offline  
post #4110 of 4868 Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Raitzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun. View Post
What I'd really like to know is how many w850a owners have / don't have vignetting and how many have had success with white sand's ice rub method? Those that say they don't have vignetting, have you tried looking for it on a lighter colored background scene?
To me that is non-issue. Maybe my panel is good in that respect but I wont risk ruining my TV because I see no problem in the first place.
Raitzi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off