Tubetwister and WhiteSands, I appreciate your replies.
WhiteSands, I'm pretty confused now. None of what I'm going to write is meant to be argumentative, and I'm sorry to seem like I'm harping on this point but it is my one and only issue with this set. I have a feeling we are miscommunicating. You have lots of experience and knowledge, so I respect your opinions here, but I'm worried I haven't described the problem well to you. I thought you'd immediately know what I was talking about since this DSE/cloudiness seems to be a common problem throughout this thread. Let me see if I can clarify it better this time.
You think I have a bad panel from the problems I describe, but I must've read at least 1-2 dozen other people previously in this thread complain about the exact same problems with a few people commenting these problems are inherent in this set. A few people returned their sets, and others kept them.
You said no vertical banding, cloudiness or DSE should be tolerated on this set. If that were the case, I think most of them would be returned to Sony because I personally believe (the more screenshots I see) that most of them have the DSE.
Given your definition of vertical banding as a narrow vertical white bar most visible during motion, then I take it back... I don't have any vertical banding. You said cloudiness is when the bright LEDs shine through a dark scene. I have some of that, but I'm not sure if the DSE is different than the cloudiness. Why? Because the cloudy pattern is the same size/shape as the DSE pattern. My set looks like it has just 1 problem... there are some slightly darker areas on my set... black background, light background, it doesn't matter... it looks like someone had sprayed a layer of dust on my set (the Dirty Screen Effect).
I've previously referred to the 2 pictures I saw in post #3324
as extremely close to what my TV looks like when there is a solid color background (such as the ones shown in these pictures). These pictures are so close to my set that there's no need for me to take pictures of my own. That poster (guvadc
) called it banding, but I would call it cloudiness/DSE.
I've copied and reposted those pictures from post #3324
below as I'm wondering if anyone followed my link to them: Now, would you say that the set in these 2 pictures is a defective panel or is this just typical/normal DSE on a 65W850A?
In spite of this ugly cloudiness/DSE you see in the pictures below, if I play any Blu-Ray (such as Wings of Life) the only time anyone would see the DSE/cloudiness on my set is on clear backgrounds (blue skies, solid green grass, white clouds, white walls, etc.). The other 95% of your typical movie you would think the picture on my set looks perfect (like yours). This is why I'm so torn about returning it. Great 95% of the time, annoying the other 5%. That percentage depends solely on how often there are scenes with solid color backgrounds.
In the post right above mine, someone took pictures of a black screen, and I see yet another blotchy cloudy spot that reminds me of my cloudiness/DSE. It seems like every picture I've seen posted throughout this thread of the 65W850A showing a solid colored background
has DSE/cloudiness. This is why I think and wonder if my panel is really defective or actually normal.
Sorry again to harp on this but it's my big issue. I could go back through the thread and collect more links to pictures and posts showing/describing my same problem, but I'm sure you've already seen them. That's why I say I'm confused. You say this problem shouldn't be tolerated and is very uncommon, yet every solid background picture I've seen posted seems to show the opposite. So I'm thinking I must have done a very poor job explaining my problem in prior posts and you think I'm describing a different problem. Hopefully these 2 pictures will clarify.
You said I can compare my TV to most of your better screen shots. Have you ever posted a solid color background (JPG) of your set in this forum? If I were to compare a shot of a lake or a forest (unless there were clear blue sky) I'd expect my set would look identical to yours.
You asked how do I compare my 65W850A to my prior LG 55" and Samsung 52" LCDs (which I did side by side before I moved them around). The 65W850A is so much better looking and vibrant/colorful than my LG and Samsung sets it's amazing... it's a stunning and great picture... EXCEPT when there are solid color backgrounds where I can see the cloudiness/DSE on the Sony. My Samsungs and LG TVs have no hint of cloudiness/DSE. It feels like I upgraded the picture quality but got a new problem (DSE) I'd never heard of before until now.
All I'm trying to determine here is if my panel is really defective or if in fact it's normal and common (as I'm beginning to think).