Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 140 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4171 of 4193 Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here are my Netflix settings that I adjusted aiming to maximise "on screen contrast" and definition without too bad side effects.
I used "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" for contrast and reality creation adjustments and "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" for adjusting shadow detail color.
The reason I don't use dynamic contrast booster is that it just darkens dark scenes and brightens bright scenes. I wanted really candles and camp fire to pop out while maintaining good black level.(key components in this are brightness control, black booster, and gamma +1 to make those candles pop out in dark scenes)
General scene:
Backlight:Max
Contrast:Max
Brightness:47
Color:60
tint:0
color temp: Neutral
Sharpness:48
Noisefilter: off
MPEG noise filter: off
Dot noise filter:auto
Reality creation: Manual
video area detection: off
resolution:45 (more than this will start to look grainy)
noise filtering:min
Smooth gradation:low (helps if original content is showing gradiation bands in sky e.g)
motionflow :standard
film mode:auto
Black corrector: medium
contrast enhancer: off
gamma:+1
led dynamic control:standard
auto light limiter: off
clear white: off
live color:low
White balance:blue bias -2 (removes tendency for blue shadows if issue with your set)
detail enhancer: off
edge enhancer: off
skin naturaliser: off

(I used WD TV streaming box instead of internal netflix app to gain access to all the settings)

Last edited by Raitzi; Yesterday at 07:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4193 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Raitzi

Here are my Netflix settings that I adjusted aiming to maximise "on screen contrast" and definition without too bad side effects.
I used "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" for contrast and reality creation adjustments and "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" for adjusting shadow detail color.
I do not own an 8x or 8.5x sony but a 2013 set your seeings should look pretty good with about any Sony I can think of though
what would you think about these settings in Cinema 1 or 2 or whatever the 8.5x has ? maybe a few points of brightness in daylight in cinema ? I've had good luck in the cinema /movie modes ( re adjusted much like the above ofc ) in that the colors were more realistic and natural and sometimes tamed down any color pushing and the gamma seemed to fall in line for shadow/black detail w/o crushing blacks or being overly bright . I wonder how the 8.5x is set like that ?

* forgot to add my set looks very good with very similar settings in general also just a little more detail in cinema and less blooming but it can also boil down to source and individual preference at the least also .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 08:21 PM.
post #4173 of 4193 Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
I do not own an 8x or 8.5x sony but a 2013 set your seeings should look pretty good with about any Sony I can think of though
what would you think about these settings in Cinema 1 or 2 or whatever the 8.5x has ? maybe a few points of brightness in daylight in cinema ? I've had good luck in the cinema /movie modes ( re adjusted much like the above ofc ) in that the colors were more realistic and natural and sometimes tamed down any color pushing and the gamma seemed to fall in line for shadow/black detail w/o crushing blacks or being overly bright . I wonder how the 8.5x is set like that ?

* forgot to add my set looks very good with very similar settings in general also just a little more detail in cinema and less blooming but it can also boil down to source and individual preference at the least also .
I agree, go with Cinema 1 or 2

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4174 of 4193 Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I mus try out cinema mode more
I put settings from French review to cinema 1. I think usually "calibrated" settings to cinema can seem too red to me when they usually use warm 2 as color temperature.
post #4175 of 4193 Old Today, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
I mus try out cinema mode more
I put settings from French review to cinema 1. I think usually "calibrated" settings to cinema can seem too red to me when they usually use warm 2 as color temperature.

It's been my experience that any Sony and many other sets can push red @ warm color temp. I never use it anymore. I like Cinema mode (with adjusted settings )* and neut .color temp not finding that out would have resulted in me returning my Sony LED and looking for another model or something else altogether . My real TV is a Plasma

Cinema and ( adjusted settings ) within Cinema made a dramatic 100% improvement over the neon factory pre sets here and corrected skewed colors .(except for a typical LCD and Sony blue push with Cyan jpegs ) that isn't noticeable on programs anyway . Cinema mode also turns off a lot of the extra "garbage processing enhancements " by default. Some reviewers get it right many do not. Don't believe every review you read some of them belong in the "round file " including the occasional Cnet review now and then IMO. Many respectable set calibrators often use Cinema/ Movie/ Film /modes also

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 05:30 AM.
post #4176 of 4193 Old Today, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night me and my sons have a big Xbox 360 session... TV was great. Colors popped and blacks were dark with detail.
Have to say im very happy with this sony tv so far. Street fighter X Tekken never looked so good.

Feed a good input to this tv and WOW. My u verse tho looks kinda crappy sure that is the compression. Need to hook up the OTA and see how that feed looks.

We watched lego 3D pretty good but do i have to go into the 3d mode every time to watch a 3d movie and then switch it back to 2d after?

One issue is on the smart apps when playing youtube or netflix the sound cuts in and out every few sec. really annoying any idea how to fix it? I am thinking it just sucks wirelesses as my WD live player has no issues streaming.

Also I have a HTC660 soundbar connect with the bravia sync. Does anyone know how i can use the sony tv remote to switch the HDMI inputs on the soundbar? The power and volume control the bar now that i activate the syc. but not the inputs. to switch to other compnets i have runnin gthru the bar (Xbox 360, WD Live, ATT Uverse)

Last edited by Cyrk; Today at 06:14 AM.
post #4177 of 4193 Old Today, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just bought the 65W850a from Best Buy last night open box for $1300. My only concern is the horrible banding. I've been reading and everyone says WhiteSands settings can help? I would love to try if someone would be so kind to PM me the settings. Thank you!
post #4178 of 4193 Old Today, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Finally some new screen shots with a new camera. These look like a big improvement over the older camera with the focus problem. These pictures looks like my screen really looks.

post #4179 of 4193 Old Today, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrk View Post
Last night me and my sons have a big Xbox 360 session... TV was great. Colors popped and blacks were dark with detail.
Have to say im very happy with this sony tv so far. Street fighter X Tekken never looked so good.

Feed a good input to this tv and WOW. My u verse tho looks kinda crappy sure that is the compression. Need to hook up the OTA and see how that feed looks.

We watched lego 3D pretty good but do i have to go into the 3d mode every time to watch a 3d movie and then switch it back to 2d after?

One issue is on the smart apps when playing youtube or netflix the sound cuts in and out every few sec. really annoying any idea how to fix it? I am thinking it just sucks wirelesses as my WD live player has no issues streaming.

Also I have a HTC660 soundbar connect with the bravia sync. Does anyone know how i can use the sony tv remote to switch the HDMI inputs on the soundbar? The power and volume control the bar now that i activate the syc. but not the inputs. to switch to other compnets i have runnin gthru the bar (Xbox 360, WD Live, ATT Uverse)
What setting are you using? I suggest you look at this persons post, and try his settings linked at the bottom of his post, updated 7/14
Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4180 of 4193 Old Today, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrk View Post

Re tubetwister

DBS/CATV /SAT usually looks crappy(mpeg compression ,mpeg artifact ,mosquito noise , low individual channel allocated bandwidth,content feed,content quality etc.) See HD Lite4 newbie No such thing as broadcast HDTV only HD lite ☺☺.(Blue Ray is only real HDTV ) All those issues are included at no charge by your service provider Some channels are better or worse ☺☺ reducing brightness can help also (staying outta Vivid ,Sport,Game modes on TV (they should be avoided on broadcast or recorded TV as a rule anyway ) not much U can do other than that maybe be some low noise reduction settings no more than 2 though .

OTA HD lite can be decent ................sometimes if station is not broadcasting 2 many sub channels
(within regulated channel bandwidth)

Best thing is Cinema Mode (with adjusted settings as posted above ) will make an OK TV into a very good TV

HTC S/B probably won't sync with Sony TV , sync is usually proprietary to Sony devices

ofc U have to switch in and out of 3D that should be no surprise .

smart apps ...... only thing U can do is make sure you R on latest firmware ver.
Streaming video services audio is usually sent in separate data burst packets could be WiFi /router issue or stupid smart TV application resident code . CK TV firmware version or force re install maybe ?.

Best thing to do is get a Roku,PS3/4 or (APTV if into Apple ecosystem otherwise Roku or PS3 /4)and forget the stupid smart TV altogether ( resident code in those usually sucks and receives infrequent update !)

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 08:09 AM.
post #4181 of 4193 Old Today, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WhiteSands - Are the settings on page37 your current settings?
post #4182 of 4193 Old Today, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

remove dbl post

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 09:13 AM.
post #4183 of 4193 Old Today, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=WhiteSands;26030738]Finally some new screen shots with a new camera. These look like a big improvement over the older camera with the focus problem. These pictures looks like my screen really looks.

pretty cool s/shots I wish I knew where you were getting some of those jpeg.

I found *some by accessing /finding / copying the url
embedded within meta data from *some jpegs you posted * when it is present .

I can also pull up your image or many other image on the web in its entirety (as uploaded) in secret xx xx mode before it is rendered on the forum page or any web page your images look WAY better 10x in origional format and resolution than what shows on the forum page after it gets stepped on here !☺☺ I don't save them though I would
out of prudence ofc ask your permission 2 save them as uploaded in their entirety and original formatting to my hdd.
Nice to look at that way otherwise though ☺☺ That new Camera is taking way better pictures than as shown
of the forum page

Too bad the folks can't see orig jpeg B4 they get stepped on BIG difference!
I can also sometimes see where else it maybe on the web and sometimes go there and look around (and so on) if its not locked up to tight or I feel like picking the lock ( I don't in this case or xx anymore though ) ☺☺ amazing what you can pull out of an uploaded jpeg in a forum posting or anywhere on the web☺
I can even see the make and model of the cameras also and ofc the usual meta data that has that anyway.

lots more than the picture in there sometimes many might be be surprised what can be done with that data
(safest thing to do is not upload any pictures sometimes depending on web site or how badly someone may want the data.

Locking photos down at Flickr or Photobucket etc by not allowing ANY digital rights or use helps put an additional layer of data protection between you and the bad guys TBH those sights are usually pretty good either way though☺

Back in day B4 the web as we know it now on BBS /usenet we used to get the white house press feeds in real time
and a few other thing I probably shouldent mention ☺☺ still lots of interesting stuff under the hood and off radar out there if you have the keys or can pick the locks as they say .

.Scared the crap out of a girlfriend once when I logged onto her session at work to talk to her on her (supposidly locked down ) government computer at work she wasn't to happy about that I heard about it for days !
she told me prior to that it couldn't be done made a believer outta her when I told her their security was lax
she didn't believe me when I told her same thing before that ☺☺

You can usually pull original website jpegs etc (as uploaded ) if U know how and sometimes access the databases they reside in and see all the pictures in that particular server database (and so on) files that aren't necessarily on a web page and access the meta data (and so on) also ofc I would never do that . Lots of fun thing U can do in developer mode (s) or on the web in general if U know how ☺

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 10:17 AM.
post #4184 of 4193 Old Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

removed

post #4185 of 4193 Old Today, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Finally some new screen shots with a new camera. These look like a big improvement over the older camera with the focus problem. These pictures looks like my screen really looks.

Wow, even on my monitor at work with the porn screen filter over it, those colors look amazing!

Do you mostly watch nature shows, or are these pictures from the camera being displayed on the TV? lol, in other words, are most of these pictures of a picture, or pictures of a movie/show?
post #4186 of 4193 Old Today, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisw123 View Post
I just bought the 65W850a from Best Buy last night open box for $1300. My only concern is the horrible banding. I've been reading and everyone says WhiteSands settings can help? I would love to try if someone would be so kind to PM me the settings. Thank you!
You didn't happen to buy that at a Best Buy in Chicagoland? I was in Best Buy a week or so, and the salesman tried to sell me the same size and model for the same price. I already had a new one on order from ABT though.
post #4187 of 4193 Old Today, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post
You didn't happen to buy that at a Best Buy in Chicagoland? I was in Best Buy a week or so, and the salesman tried to sell me the same size and model for the same price. I already had a new one on order from ABT though.
I almost bought from Best Buy in Chicago. Until the guy told me it would cost $700 for a protection plan, and he tried shoving it down my throat. Left, and bought it on Amazon for cheaper, plus a cheaper protection plan.

Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4188 of 4193 Old Today, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
I almost bought from Best Buy in Chicago. Until the guy told me it would cost $700 for a protection plan, and he tried shoving it down my throat. Left, and bought it on Amazon for cheaper, plus a cheaper protection plan.
The guy I was talking to, was not pushy at all, and gave me an out the door price including a 5 year protection plan, and tax of I think it was around $1,750 or so...definitely under $1,800. It was very tempting, but I wanted to leverage this TV purchases with some appliances at another location.
post #4189 of 4193 Old Today, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
pretty cool s/shots I wish I knew where you were getting some of those jpeg.

I found *some by accessing /finding / copying the url
embedded within meta data from *some jpegs you posted * when it is present .
Since he is using still image source material, Google search image finds the probable original. Here's one source of the last mountain stream scene (but watermarked):
http://ntt.cc/ext/Windows-7-wallpape...s-7-CA-wp2.jpg

Also, nearly all the images are Canadian mountain scenes. Searching Google images for those terms finds most of his source material.
Ph8te likes this.

Last edited by Bill Ball; Today at 11:44 AM.
post #4190 of 4193 Old Today, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question when i got the tv from frys i did not get an extended warranty from them. Was thinking of getting one from Sony directly.

Anyone have any experiance with this or opinions on which to get and if it is needed?

Sony pricing was
• 2yr - $120
• 3yr - $150
• 4yr - $200
• 5yr - $250

Don't remember whats Frys plans were.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Dave
post #4191 of 4193 Old Today, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 271
99$ or less for 4 year SquareTrade from Costco. That's the one most people use now.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #4192 of 4193 Old Today, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Muldrow View Post
Not sure where your located but I picked this set up brand new in the box from frys for 1,599$. 65in version.
Which Frys was this? The local Frys store here in Dallas has it for 1799.. I hope they bring that deal back here too..
post #4193 of 4193 Old Today, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 412
The five year extended warranties I have seen last year and early this year ran about 10% of the price of the TV for 5 years. My set back in last October cost me $2698 and the square trade 5 yr policy cost $269 at the time but I got it for $249.

Yes, Costco had the best deal on the ext warrant as I read they give 2 years with each set sold. Then 2 extra years don't cost much at all.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page