AVS Forum banner

Sony 65W850a reviews

510K views 5K replies 555 participants last post by  asdetail 
#1 ·
Looks like the first review for this set has gone up. Not too detailed I'm afraid, but I hope this means others are coming soon.

If anyone else spots other reviews, please post them here.

TV is set to go on sale the first week of October and is seen as the big brother to the 55" W900/905.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sony-lcd-tv/sony-kdl65w850a.html

#3,477 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3400_100#post_24793341

Congrats. The only thing I. miss is the extra 5 inches. When I first hit the Home button I was a bit confused, but only for a minute. I'm sure you already know this but in Preferences don't forget to go to Eco and turn off POWER SAVE. I found that the best blacks came in VIVID with color temp at COOL, color at 30. and brightness at 48. Enjoy.

Thanks
Yeah, I definitely turned off Eco mode and power save.

I'm currently using the settings from Sound and Vision, which are working quite well, plus the article is a good read.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-kdl-65w850a-3d-hdtv

2D

Scene Select Cinema

Picture Mode: Cinema 2

Backlight: 3

Picture: 90

Brightness: 51

Color 52

Hue 0

Color Temperature Warm 2

Sharpness 50

Noise Reduction Off

MPEG Noise Reduction Off

Dot Noise Reduction Off

Reality Creation Off

Video Area Detection ---

Resolution ---

Noise Filtering ---

Smooth Gradation Off

Motionflow Off

CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector: Off

Advanced Contrast Enhancer Off

Gamma: 0

LED Dynamic Control Standard

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Color Off

White Balance

Red Gain -3

Green Gain -3

Blue Gain 0

Red Bias 0

Green Bias 0

Blue Bias 0

Detail Enhancer Off

Edge Enhancer Off

Skin Naturalizer ---

Display Speed Preference---

Screen: Display Area Full Pixel

3D Settings ---

Ambient Sensor Off

Pro Picture

HDMI Dynamic Range Auto

Color Matrix Auto

SBM On

3D

Scene Select General

Picture Mode Standard

Backlight (Max)

Picture 95

Brightness 51

Color 55

Hue 0

Color Temperature Warm 2

Sharpness 50

Noise Reduction Off

MPEG Noise Reduction Off

Dot Noise Reduction Off

Smooth Gradation Off

Reality Creation Off

Video Area Detection ---

Resolution ---

Noise Filtering ---

Smooth Gradation ---

Motionflow Off

CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector Off

Advanced

Advanced Contrast Enhancer Low

Gamma 0

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Color Off

White Balance

Red Gain -5

Green Gain -6

Blue Gain -7

Red Bias -2

Green Bias -4

Blue Bias +4

Detail Enhancer Off

Edge Enhancer Off

Skin Naturalizer ---

Display Speed Preference ---

3D Settings

3D Display On

3D Depth Auto

3D Glasses Brightness High

Auto 3D On

3D Signal Notification On

Ambient Sensor Off

Pro Picture

HDMI Dynamic Range Auto

Color Matrix Auto

SBM On

#3,479 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3400_100#post_24793506

Those settings are very very different than Whitesands. I would venture to say that 80% here have switched to his settings and raved about them. If you get a chance try them out and see what you think.

Correct! I did try his settings while I was calibrating and noticed everything was way out of line. I like to have my picture as close as the director had intended. The DVE HD Basics BluRay comes with color filters so you know exactly what the colors are suppose to look like.

I do not find the over-saturation and blooming to be ideal since it doesn't represent the picture correctly. Some people like it, some don't.

Reactions: ozark
#3,480 ·
Perhaps there is some setting from WS's that you're missing. Are you using GENERAL in Scene Select? My settings with VIVID include a color setting of 28, color temp of Cool, and brightness at 48.. I can't imagine over saturated colors with those settings, under saturated if anything. Blooming is also something I've never seen with his settings. I used the Spears and Muncil HD calibration disc and found their settings to almost mirror WS's. I'm not knocking your settings but I have had a lot of people look at this set during the last 10 days and they were all impressed with the picture. Anyway, good luck and I'm sure you will love your 65w850a.

#3,481 ·
I am also using the Sound & Vision settings (but with the backlight setting bumped up a bit) in Cinema mode. This is the kind of picture I have always been used to and have seen on past TVs that I have had ISF calibrated. If you were to search through AVS threads about other TVs, you would likely find very few folks using Vivid mode and Cool color temperature. For those people who like that particular "look" to their TV picture, that's fine and there's nothing wrong with it, but there are those of us who prefer a much different look to our picture. And there's nothing wrong with that either.

#3,482 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24793995

I am also using the Sound & Vision settings (but with the backlight setting bumped up a bit) in Cinema mode. This is the kind of picture I have always been used to and have seen on past TVs that I have had ISF calibrated. If you were to search through AVS threads about other TVs, you would likely find very few folks using Vivid mode and Cool color temperature. For those people who like that particular "look" to their TV picture, that's fine and there's nothing wrong with it, but there are those of us who prefer a much different look to our picture. And there's nothing wrong with that either.

You have made a good point LDBetaGuy. I use the Sound & Vision settings for my W900A with a few tweaks of my own and the PQ and Black levels are some of the very best I have seen on a tv. But of course the W850A and the W9 are 2 different TV's.

#3,483 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3400_100#post_24793995

Exactly! I've been spoiled with ISF calibrated Pioneer Elites and Panasonics with my previous job and my last TV was ISF calibrated.

Since I am no longer an employee of the Audio Video industry, I find myself trying to calibrate with consumer level equipment. :p

Reactions: ozark and LDBetaGuy
#3,484 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24793875

Correct! I did try his settings while I was calibrating and noticed everything was way out of line. I like to have my picture as close as the director had intended. The DVE HD Basics BluRay comes with color filters so you know exactly what the colors are suppose to look like.

I do not find the over-saturation and blooming to be ideal since it doesn't represent the picture correctly. Some people like it, some don't.

Agreed. For my taste, vivid mode doesn't work since the color temp is way too cool and black levels for me are not as dark as using cinema 1 or standard. Vivid looks good at first, but after a while, you start to notice that things don't look like the way they would in real life. Everyone has different taste in what they want to see when they look at a tv, some like colors to pop, others more realistic, as well as different brightness settings. I strongly suggest that everyone try to calibrate their own set using different picture modes to suit your own taste, but if uou're happy the way it is now then good for you.

Good thing here is that we all have different opinions to share and contribute any tweaks one may have discovered.

#3,485 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3450#post_24793434

Thanks
Yeah, I definitely turned off Eco mode and power save.

I'm currently using the settings from Sound and Vision, which are working quite well, plus the article is a good read.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-kdl-65w850a-3d-hdtv

2D

Scene Select Cinema

Picture Mode: Cinema 2

Backlight: 3

Brightness: 51

Color 52

Hue 0

Color Temperature Warm 2

Sharpness 50

Noise Reduction Off

MPEG Noise Reduction Off

Dot Noise Reduction Off

Reality Creation Off

Video Area Detection ---

Resolution ---

Noise Filtering ---

Smooth Gradation Off

Motionflow Off

CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings

Advanced Contrast Enhancer Off

Gamma: 0

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Color Off

White Balance

Red Gain -3

Green Gain -3

Blue Gain 0

Red Bias 0

Green Bias 0

Blue Bias 0

Detail Enhancer Off

Edge Enhancer Off

Skin Naturalizer ---

Display Speed Preference---

3D Settings ---

Ambient Sensor Off

Pro Picture

HDMI Dynamic Range Auto

Color Matrix Auto

SBM On

3D

Scene Select General

Picture Mode Standard

Backlight (Max)

Picture 95

Brightness 51

Color 55

Hue 0

Color Temperature Warm 2

Sharpness 50

Noise Reduction Off

MPEG Noise Reduction Off

Dot Noise Reduction Off

Smooth Gradation Off

Reality Creation Off

Video Area Detection ---

Resolution ---

Noise Filtering ---

Smooth Gradation ---

Motionflow Off

CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector Off

Advanced

Advanced Contrast Enhancer Low

Gamma 0

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Color Off

White Balance

Red Gain -5

Green Gain -6

Blue Gain -7

Red Bias -2

Green Bias -4

Blue Bias +4

Detail Enhancer Off

Edge Enhancer Off

Skin Naturalizer ---

Display Speed Preference ---

3D Settings

3D Display On

3D Depth Auto

3D Glasses Brightness High

Auto 3D On

3D Signal Notification On

Ambient Sensor Off

Pro Picture

HDMI Dynamic Range Auto

Color Matrix Auto

SBM On

I know this sounds crazy but brightness on 50 vs 51 makes a big difference. You might want to try it on 50 or 49 because otherwise the sides of the TV can get very bright on 51.

#3,486 ·

I want to say thank you to Whitesands for his settings.   We unhook the old gigantic wega tv and set up this 65w850a.  Was nervous to see how the screen would be since I've been reading many issues on this forum.  Well..... either we have a low standard or simply just untrained eyes, we did not see any visible problem.  TV is just awesome!!  Pictures are bright and clear.     At this moment only have comcast cable box and xbox 360.    

**Question:   some comcast/xfinity channels looks so great, some are just so so.  Is this because some channels are still in 720p?   for example:  AMC:  when we click that channel, we saw 720p info on the left top side.     I only use regular HDMI cable from cable box to tv.  Do I need to change anything here to maybe make all channels look sharp and great ?  

**  any suggestion for a good decent 3d blue ray player without breaking our banks ?

Sounds are good enough for us.  At this moment, we are happy wihout any additional sound system.

#3,487 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjkt  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3400_100#post_24795756

I want to say thank you to Whitesands for his settings.   We unhook the old gigantic wega tv and set up this 65w850a.  Was nervous to see how the screen would be since I've been reading many issues on this forum.  Well..... either we have a low standard or simply just untrained eyes, we did not see any visible problem.  TV is just awesome!!  Pictures are bright and clear.     At this moment only have comcast cable box and xbox 360.    

**Question:   some comcast/xfinity channels looks so great, some are just so so.  Is this because some channels are still in 720p?   for example:  AMC:  when we click that channel, we saw 720p info on the left top side.     I only use regular HDMI cable from cable box to tv.  Do I need to change anything here to maybe make all channels look sharp and great ?  

**  any suggestion for a good decent 3d blue ray player without breaking our banks ?

Sounds are good enough for us.  At this moment, we are happy wihout any additional sound system.

Yes, quality varies from channel to channel and there really isn't much you can do about that.

The Sony BDPS5200 should be more than adequate for your needs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-smart-3d-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player/3416003.p?id=1219091131958&skuId=3416003

Review:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bdp-s5200_Blu-ray-Player_review

#3,489 ·
I have that 3d player and it works great. Now I can't tell you about the internet functions as I use my TV, but 3d & BR movies look stunning. No complaints about it at all. My TV remote works flawlessly with the DVD remote and vice versa.

Side Note: I just discovered that my desktop on my cpu can directly transfer videos and pics over my router to my TV. I just have to right click on the pic and chose the sony tv and seconds later it is on my Tv. It automatically set itself up on my windows 7, but haven't figured it out on my vista 64bit unit yet. Apparently the second remote can be held up to your phone and do a similar function.

#3,490 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24795780

Yes, quality varies from channel to channel and there really isn't much you can do about that.

The Sony BDPS5200 should be more than adequate for your needs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-smart-3d-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player/3416003.p?id=1219091131958&skuId=3416003

Review:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bdp-s5200_Blu-ray-Player_review

I have a samsung 7500 that has worked flawlessly. It has dual hdmi if you have an non 3d receiver and it also has netflix 3d. If you have netflix, not all 3d players stream 3d so you may want to double check that it does.

#3,491 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24796100

I have that 3d player and it works great. Now I can't tell you about the internet functions as I use my TV, but 3d & BR movies look stunning. No complaints about it at all. My TV remote works flawlessly with the DVD remote and vice versa.

Side Note: I just discovered that my desktop on my cpu can directly transfer videos and pics over my router to my TV. I just have to right click on the pic and chose the sony tv and seconds later it is on my Tv. It automatically set itself up on my windows 7, but haven't figured it out on my vista 64bit unit yet. Apparently the second remote can be held up to your phone and do a similar function.

Is that the sony screen mirroring function you're using?

#3,492 ·
I just gave the S&V settings a try and watched a bit of hockey. I've watched a lot of hockey and those settings in no way show ice the way it really looks. Now you can talk about personal preferences but ice is ice and we all know for hockey it's snow white, at least after it gets roughed up a bit.

#3,493 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24796726

I just gave the S&V settings a try and watched a bit of hockey. I've watched a lot of hockey and those settings in no way show ice the way it really looks. Now you can talk about personal preferences but ice is ice and we all know for hockey it's snow white, at least after it gets roughed up a bit.

I've flipped back and forth between WhiteSands and the S&V settings, and while WS' settings are less accurate, I tend to prefer them ---and this is coming from a calibrated (not ISF) Pioneer Elite plasma. That being said, I play hockey. Ice on a rink is only ~3/4" thick and is not snow white.

#3,494 ·
I was also flipping back and forth between my standard settings (WS settings with some tweaks) and the S&V settings and I too thought whites looked very not white on the S&V settings. I agree while that may be more accurate the standard settings just look better for most of the stuff I watch.

#3,495 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mml7  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24797108

I've flipped back and forth between WhiteSands and the S&V settings, and while WS' settings are less accurate, I tend to prefer them ---and this is coming from a calibrated (not ISF) Pioneer Elite plasma. That being said, I play hockey. Ice on a rink is only ~3/4" thick and is not snow white.

OK, maybe not "snow white" but by the end of a period it's pretty white. I'm not sure if the Pioneer Elite is the same as the Pioneer Kuro but the last version of that set was and by some is still considered the best picture ever produced by a TV. I don't have one but I wish I did. I don't play hockey any longer (because I'm way too old), but I do go to quite a few NHL games and the ice starts out rather opaque but it looks pretty white after about 10 minutes. I appreciate your knowledge concerning the proper rendition of colors and white/black (contrast) and would like to hear your comparison between WS's settings and S&V's settings. I know that Whitesands settings are less accurate but to whose standards and how long ago were those standards determined? From many many hours spent on the Panasonic plasma threads over the years it seems like most sets returned, even the vaunted ZT60, is because of the ABL circuit dumbing down whites because of the power required to render them properly. I think the Samsung F8500 solved that problem.

#3,497 ·

So I had my tv for about 3 weeks now, its an LCD Sony KDL-65w850A (brand new) and got a chance to view movies in 1080P and some 3D H-SBS (Prometheus and Avatar). I've adjusted the settings on the tv using the AVS HD 709 for brightness, clipping and dark levels but I am still having some issues with the set. Im watching movies in the Cinema mode and the 3D (active) content is at default except for the brightness which is at Medium.

I've noticed that the two left and right edges of the screen wash the color out, for example when loading the Netflix app you get the whole screen in RED and on the left and right edges of the screen (about two inches on each side) the red turns into an orange. When watching regular shows or cartoons the center of the screen look good and sharp but the edges look a bit soft and "fuzzy". There is some banding when looking at an all gray screen but thats not noticeable when watching movies and shows.

When watching 3D content, there is a LOT of ghosting, mostly in dark/light scenes, but its strange. Most of the content thats ghosting is background content not so much the content thats in focus.

Other than these two items, 1080P content looks really, really good. Any advice on this? Do I have a defective screen?

Thanks!

#3,498 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalizm  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24800786

So I had my tv for about 3 weeks now, its an LCD Sony KDL-65w850A (brand new) and got a chance to view movies in 1080P and some 3D H-SBS (Prometheus and Avatar). I've adjusted the settings on the tv using the AVS HD 709 for brightness, clipping and dark levels but I am still having some issues with the set. Im watching movies in the Cinema mode and the 3D (active) content is at default except for the brightness which is at Medium.

I've noticed that the two left and right edges of the screen wash the color out, for example when loading the Netflix app you get the whole screen in RED and on the left and right edges of the screen (about two inches on each side) the red turns into an orange. When watching regular shows or cartoons the center of the screen look good and sharp but the edges look a bit soft and "fuzzy". There is some banding when looking at an all gray screen but thats not noticeable when watching movies and shows.

When watching 3D content, there is a LOT of ghosting, mostly in dark/light scenes, but its strange. Most of the content thats ghosting is background content not so much the content thats in focus.

Other than these two items, 1080P content looks really, really good. Any advice on this? Do I have a defective screen?

Thanks!

Can you share your settings? including any ECO settings, and Pro settings.

#3,499 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalizm  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24800786

Thanks!

In regards the sides being brighter and washing out, that is normal. It is an edglit set, so there is no way around it. You can minimize the effects of it on darker content by setting the brightness to 48. Yes, I know it crushes blacks a bit, but sometimes you do have to make compromises.

If you follow the instructions on that AVS HD 709 disc, it actually mentions getting up real close to the screen to determine if the black bars are flashing. When getting up close , I can make out the last required flashing bar barely with the brightness at 49 and gamma at 1. With that , I can currently live with the brightness set a tad lower at 48.

#3,501 ·
These are the settings I use and my picture is outstanding I think. These settings were posted by AVManic when he professionally calibrated his tv.

Scene Select: General

Setting Memory: Common

Picture Mode: Standard

Backlight: 5 I use or 4 for darker room.

Brightness: 50

Color: 54

Hue: 0

Color Temp: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

MPEG N.R: Auto

Dot N.R: Auto

Reality Cr: Auto

Resolution: 40

Noise Filtering: Min

Smooth Gradation: Low

Motion Flow: Standard

CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings

Adv. C.E: Low

Gamma: -1 for 2.2 or 0 for 2.3 both still in spec one may work better for you in your environment.

LED D.C: standard

Auto Light L: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Whiter Balance

R-G: O

G-G: -6

B-B: -6

R-B: O

G-B: 0

B-B: 0

Detail Enhancer: Med

Edge Enhancer: Med

Skin N: Off

D.S.P: Off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.