Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 140 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4171 of 4173 Old Today, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here are my Netflix settings that I adjusted aiming to maximise "on screen contrast" and definition without too bad side effects.
I used "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" for contrast and reality creation adjustments and "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" for adjusting shadow detail color.
The reason I don't use dynamic contrast booster is that it just darkens dark scenes and brightens bright scenes. I wanted really candles and camp fire to pop out while maintaining good black level.(key components in this are brightness control, black booster, and gamma +1 to make those candles pop out in dark scenes)
General scene:
Backlight:Max
Contrast:Max
Brightness:47
Color:60
tint:0
color temp: Neutral
Sharpness:48
Noisefilter: off
MPEG noise filter: off
Dot noise filter:auto
Reality creation: Manual
video area detection: off
resolution:45 (more than this will start to look grainy)
noise filtering:min
Smooth gradation:low (helps if original content is showing gradiation bands in sky e.g)
motionflow :standard
film mode:auto
Black corrector: medium
contrast enhancer: off
gamma:+1
led dynamic control:standard
auto light limiter: off
clear white: off
live color:low
White balance:blue bias -2 (removes tendency for blue shadows if issue with your set)
detail enhancer: off
edge enhancer: off
skin naturaliser: off

(I used WD TV streaming box instead of internal netflix app to gain access to all the settings)

Last edited by Raitzi; Today at 07:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4173 Old Today, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Raitzi

Here are my Netflix settings that I adjusted aiming to maximise "on screen contrast" and definition without too bad side effects.
I used "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" for contrast and reality creation adjustments and "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" for adjusting shadow detail color.
I do not own an 8x or 8.5x sony but a 2013 set your seeings should look pretty good with about any Sony I can think of though
what would you think about these settings in Cinema 1 or 2 or whatever the 8.5x has ? maybe a few points of brightness in daylight in cinema ? I've had good luck in the cinema /movie modes ( re adjusted much like the above ofc ) in that the colors were more realistic and natural and sometimes tamed down any color pushing and the gamma seemed to fall in line for shadow/black detail w/o crushing blacks or being overly bright . I wonder how the 8.5x is set like that ?

* forgot to add my set looks very good with very similar settings in general also just a little more detail in cinema and less blooming but it can also boil down to source and individual preference at the least also .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 08:21 PM.
post #4173 of 4173 Old Today, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
I do not own an 8x or 8.5x sony but a 2013 set your seeings should look pretty good with about any Sony I can think of though
what would you think about these settings in Cinema 1 or 2 or whatever the 8.5x has ? maybe a few points of brightness in daylight in cinema ? I've had good luck in the cinema /movie modes ( re adjusted much like the above ofc ) in that the colors were more realistic and natural and sometimes tamed down any color pushing and the gamma seemed to fall in line for shadow/black detail w/o crushing blacks or being overly bright . I wonder how the 8.5x is set like that ?

* forgot to add my set looks very good with very similar settings in general also just a little more detail in cinema and less blooming but it can also boil down to source and individual preference at the least also .
I agree, go with Cinema 1 or 2

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version