AVS Forum banner

Sony 65W850a reviews

510K views 5K replies 555 participants last post by  asdetail 
#1 ·
Looks like the first review for this set has gone up. Not too detailed I'm afraid, but I hope this means others are coming soon.

If anyone else spots other reviews, please post them here.

TV is set to go on sale the first week of October and is seen as the big brother to the 55" W900/905.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sony-lcd-tv/sony-kdl65w850a.html

#3,502 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw16  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24801168

These are the settings I use and my picture is outstanding I think. These settings were posted by AVManic when he professionally calibrated his tv.

Scene Select: General

Setting Memory: Common

Picture Mode: Standard

Backlight: 5 I use or 4 for darker room.

Picture: 90

Brightness: 50

Color: 54

Hue: 0

Color Temp: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

MPEG N.R: Auto

Dot N.R: Auto

Reality Cr: Auto

Resolution: 40

Noise Filtering: Min

Smooth Gradation: Low

Motion Flow: Standard

CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. C.E: Low

Gamma: -1 for 2.2 or 0 for 2.3 both still in spec one may work better for you in your environment.

LED D.C: standard

Auto Light L: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Whiter Balance

R-G: O

G-G: -6

B-B: -6

R-B: O

G-B: 0

B-B: 0

Detail Enhancer: Med

Edge Enhancer: Med

Skin N: Off

D.S.P: Off

That's about the same settings I have with the exception of the noise filters, I have those off. With the white balance, i have the red and green gain to -3 and the blue bias to -1 as i noticed a slight shade of blue in dark scenes and bringing it down one made black levels a lot darker without crushing detail. I find that detail and edge enhancement work backwards where as detail enhancement seems to work as an edge enhancer and edge enhancement fills in the detail, so, I have edge enhancement set to high and detail off. I used the disney wow disc to check my settings and noticed no ringing.

#3,503 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24797439

In regards to the S&V settings, try changing the color temp. I do not feel their setting of warm 2 looks right, try warm 1.

At warm 2 I feel there is a bit too much reddish tint and that could be why the whites look off.

I find Warm 2 to be the only color temperature setting that does look good. The others (including Warm 1) are all too blue. If you're used to watching a TV with an overly-blue tint (and most TV viewers are...) then the Warm 2 setting may initially seem to have to much yellow or red. But stick with it for at least a few days before you decide to switch back.

#3,504 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalizm  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24800786

So I had my tv for about 3 weeks now, its an LCD Sony KDL-65w850A (brand new) and got a chance to view movies in 1080P and some 3D H-SBS (Prometheus and Avatar). I've adjusted the settings on the tv using the AVS HD 709 for brightness, clipping and dark levels but I am still having some issues with the set. Im watching movies in the Cinema mode and the 3D (active) content is at default except for the brightness which is at Medium.

I've noticed that the two left and right edges of the screen wash the color out, for example when loading the Netflix app you get the whole screen in RED and on the left and right edges of the screen (about two inches on each side) the red turns into an orange. When watching regular shows or cartoons the center of the screen look good and sharp but the edges look a bit soft and "fuzzy". There is some banding when looking at an all gray screen but thats not noticeable when watching movies and shows.

When watching 3D content, there is a LOT of ghosting, mostly in dark/light scenes, but its strange. Most of the content thats ghosting is background content not so much the content thats in focus.

Other than these two items, 1080P content looks really, really good. Any advice on this? Do I have a defective screen?

Thanks!
I was having basically the same problem with my PQ. Other issues were Netflix not working and tv switching over to 3D mode occasionally by itself. Sony is replacing my set. However since this last firmware update I haven't really noticed anything with Netflix or 3D. As far as ghosting and my dark scene content, it was better after turning on Scene Select Sync.

#3,505 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3500_100#post_24801581

I find Warm 2 to be the only color temperature setting that does look good. The others (including Warm 1) are all too blue. If you're used to watching a TV with an overly-blue tint (and most TV viewers are...) then the Warm 2 setting may initially seem to have to much yellow or red. But stick with it for at least a few days before you decide to switch back.

The only thing I don't like about Warm 2 is the skin tones don't look right, all the other colors looks great with Warm 2. I find the skin tones looks very yellowish with Warm 2, not a natural skin tone. I don't know if there is any setting to fix the skin tone. I even tried the Skin Natural to "on" option, but still no help. I also have Samsung 65 inch F8000 and the skin tone on it does not look that bad with Warm 2, it looks more natural.

#3,506 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboy1  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3480#post_24802743

The only thing I don't like about Warm 2 is the skin tones don't look right, all the other colors looks great with Warm 2. I find the skin tones looks very yellowish with Warm 2, not a natural skin tone. I don't know if there is any setting to fix the skin tone. I even tried the Skin Natural to "on" option, but still no help. I also have Samsung 65 inch F8000 and the skin tone on it does not look that bad with Warm 2, it looks more natural.

This is also what I see. I know what a calibrated display is supposed to look like, and I think that something about warm 2 does not look quite right on my display anyway. I don't think that this is that uncommon though. I've had and seen other displays where trying to find the right balance with color temps was tricky.

#3,507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3500_100#post_24802787

This is also what I see. I know what a calibrated display is supposed to look like, and I think that something about warm 2 does not look quite right on my display anyway. I don't think that this is that uncommon though. I've had and seen other displays where trying to find the right balance with color temps was tricky.

I agree with you. The Warm 1 is better on the skin tone, but the other colors does not pop as much on Warm 1 as it does on Warm 2. The other colors looks great on Warm 2, except the skin tone. Hard to find a balance.

#3,508 ·

Hi All,

I received my TV yesterday, and like everyone else, I'm impressed by the color saturation and dark levels on it. I've adjusted the settings per WhiteSand's settings.

However I have a noob question: How do I adjust the settings on Netflix? The settings only apply to either the selected "INPUT" or "All inputs". Netflix isn't really an input? Options button is non-function when watching netflix? (I don't understand that logic)

No matter how much I try, I can't seem to get rid of the soap opera effect which only seems to happen when I'm watching Netflix. It's driving me nuts!

Any help appreciated!

#3,510 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprash  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3510#post_24803113

Hi All,

I received my TV yesterday, and like everyone else, I'm impressed by the color saturation and dark levels on it. I've adjusted the settings per WhiteSand's settings.

However I have a noob question: How do I adjust the settings on Netflix? The settings only apply to either the selected "INPUT" or "All inputs". Netflix isn't really an input? Options button is non-function when watching netflix? (I don't understand that logic)

No matter how much I try, I can't seem to get rid of the soap opera effect which only seems to happen when I'm watching Netflix. It's driving me nuts!

Any help appreciated!

If you want to adjust the color settings for Netflix just go to the Crackle app and adjust them from there. The settings you dial in for Crackle will apply to the Netflix settings as well.

#3,511 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3510#post_24803144

If you want to adjust the color settings for Netflix just go to the Crackle app and adjust them from there. The settings you dial in for Crackle will apply to the Netflix settings as well.
Ah, that's great! Thanks Steve!!! I have spent hours.

Really poor UI on Sony's part.

#3,512 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprash  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3510#post_24803203

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3510#post_24803144

Ah, that's great! Thanks Steve!!! I have spent hours.

Really poor UI on Sony's part.

Your welcome.

#3,513 ·
It isn't really "on Sony's part". Netflix app licensing requires that the Netflix app be given full control of the hardware when it is running. This is done for anti-piracy reasons (or if you prefer, for "paranoid" reasons). So the manufacturer of the hardware device cannot provide their own menus (even for picture settings) while the Netflix app is running. And Netflix has no interest in providing those menus themselves, because they'd need to custom code them for every device.

#3,514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3500_100#post_24803826

It isn't really "on Sony's part". Netflix app licensing requires that the Netflix app be given full control of the hardware when it is running. This is done for anti-piracy reasons (or if you prefer, for "paranoid" reasons). So the manufacturer of the hardware device cannot provide their own menus (even for picture settings) while the Netflix app is running. And Netflix has no interest in providing those menus themselves, because they'd need to custom code them for every device.

That's not the case with my Samsung F8000. I am able to select any menu or mode while in Netflix.

#3,516 ·
I set up my set today. Really impressed so far. Thanks to Whitesands for his settings. Now i have a really stupid question. How to I access the different scene modes?One I try home, picture and display I get Setting memory.Picture mode and the ability to make a few changes. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Wanted to try Sound and Vision just for an exercise but can't locate any of their menus.

Thanks for any help.

Howard

#3,518 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3510#post_24804893

It looks like Sony Sales recevied another shipment of the W850a sets. Sunday night, June 7th they do show to have the sets in stock for $1799.

page down on this site to see the set.

http://store.sony.com/full-hdtvs/cat-27-catid-2K-LED-HDTVs;pgid=hl52Mjl9qgRSRp_IdYztxl_a0000KpMYBXub;sid=-_BqURq1-N7IUUkmMMkYVYK_MssklNOOtTUcDUkO

Yea you better get them while you can. Sony has officially pulled the plug on the W900A and I am sure the W850A is sure to be next in line as these 2 great sets are being phased out and replaced by Sony's new wedge shaped monstrosities

#3,521 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3510#post_24804702

I set up my set today. Really impressed so far. Thanks to Whitesands for his settings. Now i have a really stupid question. How to I access the different scene modes?One I try home, picture and display I get Setting memory.Picture mode and the ability to make a few changes. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Wanted to try Sound and Vision just for an exercise but can't locate any of their menus.

Thanks for any help.

Howard
Hit the options button and scene select is the 1st thing on the menu

#3,522 ·
I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but I tried using the Disney WOW Blu-ray with a PS4 and could not get the Ideal White adjustment to save my life. The best I could get it was in the +4% range. It turns out that the problem wasn't the TV but with the PS4. I hooked up my PS3 and had no problems getting the settings to work. Also, with the PS4, the audio sync test was off when compared with using the PS3. Thought I'd mention it in case it hasn't already been. I'll have to try the PS4 on another TV before I can confirm if it's a unique issue to the 65W850A or not.

#3,523 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchFury  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3510#post_24808037

I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but I tried using the Disney WOW Blu-ray with a PS4 and could not get the Ideal White adjustment to save my life. The best I could get it was in the +4% range. It turns out that the problem wasn't the TV but with the PS4. I hooked up my PS3 and had no problems getting the settings to work. Also, with the PS4, the audio sync test was off when compared with using the PS3. Thought I'd mention it in case it hasn't already been. I'll have to try the PS4 on another TV before I can confirm if it's a unique issue to the 65W850A or not.

have you checked that the ps4 video settings and make sure you're not outputting in rgb?

#3,524 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3510#post_24808557

have you checked that the ps4 video settings and make sure you're not outputting in rgb?
I'm pretty sure the PS4 is outputting in RGB but can't be set to YCbCr manually. I remember seeing an advanced option to force the TV to YCbCr, so I will try that. Thanks!

#3,526 ·
I appreciate all the help with the advise in this thread. My issues with flashlighting and the 2 dark lines in the panel are driving me crazy and I'm going to exchange for another panel to see if I can get one that is not so pronounced. Having 2 white lines up the sides of the screens in dark scenes or credits rolling just doesn't work for me.

That said, I still cant seem to get the motionflow settings right. With Motionflow set to off the picture looks very 'jerky' when panning horizontally. Every other setting seems to introduce some level of soap opera effect, where film doesn't look like film to my eyes but rather video. I'm wondering if anyone could advise on this and if there are other settings that come into play? I'm unclear on what Cinemotion is along with a few of the other settings.

Hoping I can get this looking right, as stepping up to the F8500 will cost me another $1k minimum.

Thanks for any advise you can give.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.