Forum Jump: 

post #4231 of 4370 Old 08-07-2014, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
About watching any live pro football games on your set. Last year I thought I was getting a little better picture on my W850a set by using my outdoor TV antenna to get the pro games from El Paso which is 80 miles away. Their towers are up on a mountain which I can see the mountain while standing in my driveway using binoculars. I use a high gain Winegard 8800 UHF only antenna up on a 30 foot mast using a 25 db preamp mounted just behind the antenna. I get a 88% to 100% signal strength on the Paso network stations.

So for a month I watched live pro games with pixelation and motion blur on any fast motion football plays. I also had similar problems on ABC and NBC games from El Paso. This drove me nuts, so during the 1st quarter of one game I switched to the Dish network receiver on their Fox Network feed. Like wow, all those problems I was having where now gone.

Now that I think of it the problem could be due to a row of small mountains half way between where I live and where the El Paso towers are. Even though I can see the towers from the ground don't mean that their could be some signal deflection off those mountains and could be what was causing the pixelation and motion blur.

Well I'm all set for another fun year of watching pro football on the big screen set.

WS
Can you please PM your settings? I recently bought one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4370 Old 08-07-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
mine looks awful because Verizon fios blows. I'm getting the same thing white sands. I'm just starting to think this tv can't handle fast movement.

Last edited by dreadnok89; 08-07-2014 at 07:59 PM.
post #4233 of 4370 Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
mine looks awful because Verizon fios blows. I'm getting the same thing white sands. I'm just starting to think this tv can't handle fast movement.
I have Comcast high speed cable and I watched the 49er - Ravens game and noticed nothing out of the ordinary - the game looked great. I'm using WhiteSands settings and I have it on Standard.
post #4234 of 4370 Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I haven't noticed any problems -- but I rarely watch sports. I suspect that poor encoding quality/low bitrate of the video is contributing to what you're seeing.
post #4235 of 4370 Old 08-07-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
I haven't noticed any problems -- but I rarely watch sports. I suspect that poor encoding quality/low bitrate of the video is contributing to what you're seeing.
You could e correct. I'm gonna get a blue ray player and check it out
post #4236 of 4370 Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper04468 View Post
Lately I've noticed that dynamic dimming and definitely black levels are channel dependant on Dish. I've watched movies on EPIX and HBO and had different experiences. Luckily I still have my Samsung which is Full Array (which I have determined I will never get rid of) and confirmed the same black level performance. I leave dynamic LED off of that one though. For a dynamic led example, at the end of the Hunger Games, if dynamic LED control is on, at the very end before the first credit, the screen will shut off. This is on EPIX channel. But watching Now You See Me on HBO, at the credits, the screen never shuts off. It just gives a nice deep black, even with the dynamic control on.

The other thing I've noticed that those black levels on the channels affect is bleed along the sides, since the blacks aren't always deep black, but very dark gray. I suspect it has to do with the compression that they're using. I know it isn't actual light bleed since the letterbox bars at the top and bottom are true black.

Anyone else notice this too? I need to get more Blu-ray discs in my collection. Upconverted DVDs don't cut it anymore and the Sony shows the flaws in the channels too easily. Guess I'm getting spoiled with a nice picture. This isn't a complaint about the TV, but more of an observation of the variations in picture from HD channels on Dish.
We were watching cops the other day on spike and the sides were so bright during almost every scene that it looked similar to when you crank the brightness control past 50. Then it would go to commercial and be back to having black sides and deep blacks on letter box movie trailers. It bugged me to no end but this TV has really exposed for me how bad a lot of the cable feeds are. I watch a lot of sports and get especially frustrated with how bad baseball games look with so much edge noise around the players and graphics. Then you pop in a blu ray and it's like this TV is HEAVEN!
post #4237 of 4370 Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
I'm like Fairfax-Franco and same as my settings I send out. I keep the motionflow set to Standard and it has always worked great for live sports. I say live as during the pro games I see a replay then it's sometimes jerky or will have pixelation. It's gone as soon as they go back to the live playing.

This TV panel is rated something like 120 hz. With the 2.2 ghz quad pro processor uses a special motionflow circuit that ups that to something like 460 hz.

You may need to check with your cable box or sat company to open their options and setting to make sure you box or receiver is set to 1080p to be compatible with your 1080p set.
post #4238 of 4370 Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Love this set's colors.

post #4239 of 4370 Old 08-08-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
I'm like Fairfax-Franco and same as my settings I send out. I keep the motionflow set to Standard and it has always worked great for live sports. I say live as during the pro games I see a replay then it's sometimes jerky or will have pixelation. It's gone as soon as they go back to the live playing.

This TV panel is rated something like 120 hz. With the 2.2 ghz quad pro processor uses a special motionflow circuit that ups that to something like 460 hz.

You may need to check with your cable box or sat company to open their options and setting to make sure you box or receiver is set to 1080p to be compatible with your 1080p set.

Will do sands. Some stations look great! It has to bectheccable
post #4240 of 4370 Old 08-08-2014, 08:10 AM

I second WhiteSands recommending checking your cable box settings. My wife moved my cable box a little while she was dusting and somehow touched the adjustment button that kicked it down to 480. I noticed the TV looked odd so I checked the online manual for the box and discovered you could adjust that setting and where the button was and changed it back. Now it looks great again.
post #4241 of 4370 Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko View Post
I second WhiteSands recommending checking your cable box settings. My wife moved my cable box a little while she was dusting and somehow touched the adjustment button that kicked it down to 480. I noticed the TV looked odd so I checked the online manual for the box and discovered you could adjust that setting and where the button was and changed it back. Now it looks great again.
Or some channeks are crappy, cbs newsis pretty nice
post #4242 of 4370 Old 08-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
Using Cinema 1 settings on my TV, with Motionflow set to standard. Looks fine to me watching Preseason football and Golf today.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4243 of 4370 Old 08-09-2014, 06:24 PM

I'm watching the Lions and Browns football game on Comcast's NFLHD channel and I see nothing wrong - matter of fact it looks great!
post #4244 of 4370 Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
You do realize that the current standard (rec709), is no where near "accurate" to real life right? There's a difference between over saturating colors and extending the color gamut.
No, I did not know that.

Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4245 of 4370 Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post
I have an older Harmony 900. The device profile for the 65W850a in the Logitech Harmony Remote Software on the PC does not include the IR code for the Format button because it isn't on the standard remote that came with the TV. However the TV will still respond from a remote that has it (from an older Sony TV remote or a Universal remote programmed with it.) The workaround I explained was to add an older Sony TV whose remote did have Format button to the activity to get the functionality of that button.
I never could get this to work. Again, trying to find a quick way to go to gaming when playing my xbox one. I have 2 activities on my harmony ultimate remote, watch tv, and gaming.
All activities run through the xbox one. No one else on here owns a harmony remote and could chime in with setting up and quickly changing to scene select to gaming? As some suggested, I am thinking of switching to AUTO which should switch to gaming automatically, but with all the different calibration settings I see on here, no one is using AUTO (they use Cinema, or General mainly) so I am thinking it's not a recommended format to use?

Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200

Last edited by bodean; 08-10-2014 at 07:46 AM.
post #4246 of 4370 Old 08-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Screen shot from my set. Love those Triluminos colors this set makes.

White sand,
Love your quality setting. Could you please pm me your latest setting? Thanks in advance.
post #4247 of 4370 Old 08-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This may be a dumb question, but is there a film on the front of the tv on the sony logo just above the small indicator led? Mine has what looks like a blueish film over the sony logo that is the length of the whole logo and I can't figure out if it's a film or if it's suppose to be like that. Out of fear of scratching the logo I haven't screwed with it to much.
post #4248 of 4370 Old 08-11-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Muldrow View Post
This may be a dumb question, but is there a film on the front of the tv on the sony logo just above the small indicator led? Mine has what looks like a blueish film over the sony logo that is the length of the whole logo and I can't figure out if it's a film or if it's suppose to be like that. Out of fear of scratching the logo I haven't screwed with it to much.
Yes - it's a blue film that covers it. Carefully remove a corner of it and pull it off.
post #4249 of 4370 Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Question.

Should I have Auto Display Area set to ON or OFF? Right now it is off, wide mode is full, auto wide off.

Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4250 of 4370 Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Liked: 25
My settings are: Wide Mode:full
Auto wideff
Auto Display Areaff
Display Area:full pixel
post #4251 of 4370 Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Has anyone had any problems with today's update?
post #4252 of 4370 Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Has anyone had any problems with today's update?
No, just got it about 15 minutes ago. Not sure what was fixed. What issue do you have?
One thing I notice, the remote is a lot more responsive. Before, a lot of lag with the remote (going into the menus).

On a side note, Whitesands, do you ever make changes to your settings, or you been sticking with what you're sending out? I've played around with Live Color, set it to Low, and liking how it looks

Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200

Last edited by bodean; 08-12-2014 at 12:15 PM.
post #4253 of 4370 Old 08-12-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
No, just got it about 15 minutes ago. Not sure what was fixed. What issue do you have?
One thing I notice, the remote is a lot more responsive. Before, a lot of lag with the remote (going into the menus)
I was at a friends house and he got the message about it and was afraid to update his TV fearing there may be a problem if he did. I went ahead and updated his TV for him and so far haven't found any problems.
post #4254 of 4370 Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM

Liked: 25
What did the update fix? I may not upgrade since my tv is working good.
post #4255 of 4370 Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
What did the update fix? I may not upgrade since my tv is working good.
I don't know what the update fixed - my TV was working perfect before I updated it - but I haven't noticed anything wrong with it since I updated it.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4256 of 4370 Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do we know if this update had anything to do with the network?

The only reason I ask is I just upgraded my router to a linksys wc1900 (previous router has spotty connection) and I'm now getting awesome speeds through my pc and phone. I also had my TV streaming youtube videos with no problem whatsoever then all of a sudden I lost connection and could not get it back for 45 mins. Once I was able to get the internet back through the TV it stayed connected maybe 5 mins before it went south and now I can't connect to my router or see any router for that matter when it used to pick up even the neighbors. Someone please chime in because this is getting real frustrating.

I might also mention this never happened on my old router (losing connection with no way to get it back immediately like this).

Last edited by AroundTheTV; 08-12-2014 at 08:38 PM.
post #4257 of 4370 Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

I had a older about $150 Linskys from walmart that worked pretty well for maybe 3 years. It was a older model than yours.
I did some update on it shown on their website available after 3 years use. I did the update, then it would not work at all other then showing it's powered up.

The next day I call Linskys and was told that tech support had ran out on that model. I searched amazon and bought a just released new ASUS AC68U and have had it for over a year with no problems. They have newer models out since then. If I remember correctly ASUS-Tec people told me their tech help on their routers don't run out.
post #4258 of 4370 Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know what the update fixed - my TV was working perfect before I updated it - but I haven't noticed anything wrong with it since I updated it.
The 11 or 12 updates I have done on my set since last October are the same way, I see no real difference. Could be their changing or improving some the programs in the TV to make it operate better.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 08-13-2014 at 01:07 AM.
post #4259 of 4370 Old 08-13-2014, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know why but my Auto update usually don't show up for 3 days after someone here mentions it. I can go in and manually do the update and that works. This is the second time the Auto update didn't work after hearing others had got their updates.

I pressed Home on the remote, then Settings, Product Support and Software Update. It offered me to do the Update now or Later. I choose now and the download started then did the install and once the set restarted I knew it was done.

Here is a picture of the 'Product Support' page to look for a manual update and the 'Contact Sony page' where you can see your current firmware pkg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Software Update pix 004_.jpg (95.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Contact Sony_shows firmware number 001_.jpg (160.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by WhiteSands; 08-13-2014 at 01:33 AM.
post #4260 of 4370 Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Finally ready to upgrade my XBR-52HX909 to a 65 inch set. I don't want to drop 3k+ and it looks like the 850a > 950b. A non-prime non-amazon seller has a couple 65w850a up for 2300 which I would be willing to pay but the price is sketchy.

Anyone know where I can buy one of these new for a good deal still? Where should I look? Should I just move on to a new set since I can't seem to find one?

Also does anyone have first hand experience of picture quality of this set vs my older XBR?

Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page