Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 4340 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thank you Whitesands for your settings i really like them. Before I had your settings I didn't like the motion flow I'm going to try it again with yours to see if i warm up to it.
ciosad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4340 Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone else having network problems with theirs? Mine was working fine the first few months, then last month all of a sudden I can't open apps anymore. When I try to open any app, it goes through the "Acquiring Internet Content" process, succeeds, and tells me that the content was updated and to run my app again. When I run the app it starts back over with the "Acquiring Internet Content" again. Over and over.

Sometimes I get an "Application cannot be launched because of server problems" error as well, but I can't find much info on that error anywhere.

The connection itself is fine. I can connect to my network over wireless or wired, get an IP, see my PC files on the network, etc. When I try to update the tv software it tells me no update is available. There is absolutely no indication at all that there is a connection problem, other than the inability to start up any apps like Netflix, Amazon, MLB.TV, etc.

Last edited by newerakb; Yesterday at 06:28 PM.
post #4323 of 4340 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared2442 View Post
Damn!!! I missed it again!

Here's to hoping more become available for shipping soon
I don't know if you're near a RC Willey but they price match and carry the kdl65w850a. I just purchased one today. Delivery tomorrow. Can't wait! Good luck!
post #4324 of 4340 Old Today, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Anyone try out Motionflow Clear setting? How does it compare/differ from standard?
no input from users on this settings?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4325 of 4340 Old Today, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Would you guys recommend the 850a over the newer 850b? I'm trying to decide which LED to get to replace my current TV. Looking to get a 55". I am aware of the local dimming on the 850a which seems to make the black levels and shadow detail better. Going to be using it for console gaming as well as cable and movies.

Any recommendations?

Also off topic but do any of you guys happen know a good place to get a w900a? Amazon has 2 deals but they seem a little sketchy to me and I can't seem to find it anywhere. It really fit with everything I was looking for. If that doesn't fit with this discussion then just disregard it.
post #4326 of 4340 Old Today, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Read the reviews for the 65w850a on Amazon. That should end your quandry.
post #4327 of 4340 Old Today, 11:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiguy View Post
Thank you Whitesands for your settings i really like them. Before I had your settings I didn't like the motion flow I'm going to try it again with yours to see if i warm up to it.
Just got mine today, and am looking for these settings as a starting point. Happen to have a link to the post within this thread?

Will be posting pictures of my project to mount this bad boy. 😁 Hopefully Whitesands' settings + WoW will produce a great picture.

Thanks for the discussion in this thread;it helped make this purchase decision pretty easy!
post #4328 of 4340 Old Today, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Read the reviews for the 65w850a on Amazon. That should end your quandry.
I have and that isn't really helpful. I've read plenty of reviews on it but there aren't as many reviews available on the 850b and I'm also hoping to get a more direct comparison of the 2.
post #4329 of 4340 Old Today, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2134 View Post
I have and that isn't really helpful. I've read plenty of reviews on it but there aren't as many reviews available on the 850b and I'm also hoping to get a more direct comparison of the 2.
I don't know exactly how the 65w850b compares but I have had two 70w850b's and one 65w850a. The " A " is different in that it, uses the TRILUMINUCE color filter and uses the Samsung S-PVA panel. I found the A to have a far superior picture to 70B. I have never found any TV reviewed by at least 50 owners on Amazon rated 5 stars except the 65w850a. I ended up going to the 70x850b because I wanted a 70 inch display but I can tell you after 3 weeks the 65w850a still has a better picture than my new 4k set. It has a highly reflective screen but that's why the PQ is so good IMO. The fact that you can get a refurb from Sony for $1200 is a steal.
post #4330 of 4340 Old Today, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Here are a few colorful screen shots favorites from my set.

post #4331 of 4340 Old Today, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I don't know exactly how the 65w850b compares but I have had two 70w850b's and one 65w850a. The " A " is different in that it, uses the TRILUMINUCE color filter and uses the Samsung S-PVA panel. I found the A to have a far superior picture to 70B. I have never found any TV reviewed by at least 50 owners on Amazon rated 5 stars except the 65w850a. I ended up going to the 70x850b because I wanted a 70 inch display but I can tell you after 3 weeks the 65w850a still has a better picture than my new 4k set. It has a highly reflective screen but that's why the PQ is so good IMO. The fact that you can get a refurb from Sony for $1200 is a steal.
Thank you that is very helpful. I have heard some things about Sony's using different panels for different sizes. Since I'm aiming at getting a 55" I would imagine what you said will be consistent but do you happen to know if the 55" and 65" share the same panel?
post #4332 of 4340 Old Today, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2134 View Post
Thank you that is very helpful. I have heard some things about Sony's using different panels for different sizes. Since I'm aiming at getting a 55" I would imagine what you said will be consistent but do you happen to know if the 55" and 65" share the same panel?
I'm afraid that I do not know for sure. Perhaps Whitesands might know.
post #4333 of 4340 Old Today, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

The panels are different for both sets in fact so is the circuitry. Even so both sets make a killer color picture including their great deep blacks. The W850a set I bought last October replaced a good plasma set I had used for years and I actually prefer the brighter better colors and blacks of this edge lit Sony LED set.

Sony stopped making the W900a set months ago but you may find one used or refurbished if you must have the 55" screen size. It's been said that the W900a set has a slightly better picture than the W850a, but that may be due to it's smaller screen size.

I do know a few asking for my settings that have bought new W850a sets recently from Fry's Electronics. I also looked and see that Sony Sales is now selling the W850a set new on their 'Outlet' page for $1499 the same price as Fry's.
Good luck with your choice. Try http://store.sony.com/ may work.

WS
post #4334 of 4340 Old Today, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Whitesands - do you have a direct link to where you found this on the Sony sight, I looked and could not find it, the only TV I saw for $1499 was the 60w850b. I also called and could not find any refurbs for $1200. Thanks
post #4335 of 4340 Old Today, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
The panels are different for both sets in fact so is the circuitry. Even so both sets make a killer color picture including their great deep blacks. The W850a set I bought last October replaced a good plasma set I had used for years and I actually prefer the brighter better colors and blacks of this edge lit Sony LED set.

Sony stopped making the W900a set months ago but you may find one used or refurbished if you must have the 55" screen size. It's been said that the W900a set has a slightly better picture than the W850a, but that may be due to it's smaller screen size.

I do know a few asking for my settings that have bought new W850a sets recently from Fry's Electronics. I also looked and see that Sony Sales is now selling the W850a set new on their 'Outlet' page for $1499 the same price as Fry's.
Good luck with your choice. Try http://store.sony.com/ may work.

WS
Thank you very much for the reply. Would you be able to send me the settings you used? I'm leaning heavily toward the 55x850a and would like to have them if I get it. Do you also have any personal recommendations for a gaming mode as well?
post #4336 of 4340 Old Today, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird7 View Post
Whitesands - do you have a direct link to where you found this on the Sony sight, I looked and could not find it, the only TV I saw for $1499 was the 60w850b. I also called and could not find any refurbs for $1200. Thanks
Call CustomerService and have them check with the warehouse in Carson CA. This morning they had 5 refurb 65w850a's. The price I was given was $1200 delivered plus sales tax. Mine is shipping next Tuesday.
post #4337 of 4340 Old Today, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Andy has found the best deal going. I went back to the Sony Outlet page and the W850a set shown for $1499 was removed from the page. For some reason this set didn't show to be a refurbished set. I was told Sony may have stopped production in this set in the month of June.

I did call Sony and ended up with Jo Ann in the Philippines. She spoke good English and I had her go to their outlet page.
She did not show the W850a was available anymore as she was looking at their website. She did offer me a refurbished XBR-65X850a for $2969.66 but would knock off $500 at $2469.99 if I would buy it today. This is the 4K version of the 850a set but not sure if it's deep blacks are the same as this set I now own.

They also had a XBR-55X850a set for $2069.99 but would first knock off $200 then came back to up it to $300 off or at $1769.99 if you like a 55" 4K screen.

Now I ask about their refurb warranty's. Some have bought the refurbished W850a sets and have had outstanding pictures from their sets. Somehow these same members got a 2-year warranty included with their sets. Others got a Sony blu ray player included and another a Sony soundbar.

So Jo Ann in the Philippines told me to my surprise that the refurbished sets only carried a 90-day warranty. So a Sony 2-yr warranty would cost like $179 more or if I didn't use their discount prices she could let me have like a 5-yr ext warranty for $279.

So from what I hear recently in these forms is to use Costco's warranty which is the lowest priced of them all. Costco will warranty other sets that were not purchased from them.

This is the outlet page she and I were looking at during our phone conversation.

http://store.sony.com/televisions/ca...ed-Televisions
post #4338 of 4340 Old Today, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks everyone who has been posting here. This thread has been a great help in me deciding on my TV. Coming from a Samsung C7000 plasma, and after much deliberation, I found the great deal posted here for a refurb 65W850A.

Picture is amazing... But, cant deal with the flashlighting from the edge lit. Horrible. So Ill be returning this one.

Perhaps because it was a refurb it was a returned panel for this issue. I know others have had this issue and its inherent to all edge lit panels, just depends how severe it is in the panel you get. In my case it was obvious in nearly all content I watched except scenes that were bright lit. Even noticeable just watching the news. The picture along the edges about 3-4 inches on both sides would be several shades lighter, even more pronounced with dark scenes. Do others notice this at all?
If I could get another one at the deal I got, I would jump on it again and hope for the best. The picture really was that nice.
post #4339 of 4340 Old Today, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

This sounds like a bad panel to me. Sony should have replaced it if they saw the problem before selling the set. Ask for a exchange and if they say their is no sets left ask them to check the Sony warehouse Andy mentioned a few messages earlier.

Compare my many screen shots and you won't see any light sides on my screen. You might ask them to put a hold for one of these sets that are left as they may not last very long.
post #4340 of 4340 Old Today, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
This sounds like a bad panel to me. Sony should have replaced it if they saw the problem before selling the set. Ask for a exchange and if they say their is no sets left ask them to check the Sony warehouse Andy mentioned a few messages earlier.

Compare my many screen shots and you won't see any light sides on my screen. You might ask them to put a hold for one of these sets that are left as they may not last very long.
Hi Guys..Just got the 65w850a from Fry's last week - open box for 1425+tax. I noticed that on some HD channels (Dish network, VIP 722 box) picture was sharp, some were soft (like SD broadcast). So i got the Samsung UN60F6350 from best buy today for 1285 out the door with free Samsung H450 sound bar to do a side by side comparison (even though from the readings 6350 should be 2 steps lower than the 850a). Both are sitting side by side about 12 ft away from my couch.

Some observations:
Amazon Video HD is way sharper on 6350 (Std Picture mode) than on 850a (Std/Vivid).
Colors are obviously more accurate on 850a. more orange skin tone on samsung which is prevalent with samsung sets.
Youtube HD is about the same on both, colors in some places make the 850a look better
HD channels are sharper on 850a generally speaking but in some places samsung shines.
Since most of my viewing is going to be SD + HD channels from Dish box - this is a important consideration. I dont watch a lot of blu-ray.

I am concerned about the random softness in some HD channels/amazon video on 850a. Should i reset the tv? (I have reset picture settings many times). Whats the procedure to do that?
Where are these whitesands settings? Can someone re-paste them again please?
Customer support was no help, running me around brightness/motion flow.

Am i missing something here about calibrating/optimizing the 850a? Would greatly appreciate any insights.

Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread - Xbr65x850a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page