Forum Jump: 

post #4351 of 4370 Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungHeat View Post
Hello everyone I have a delima I want to mount my tv but I want to hide my cords within the wall I believe the only cords I need to run threw the wall are 1 hdmi cable ( being that all of my components will run threw my RECIEVER) and the power cord for the tv so just those two cords am I on the right track I want to plug my tv into my conditioner wich is on my stand underneath it is the how long is the power cord my tv will be here soon so I wonder if it will be long enough to reach the conditioner and do I only need two run those twi cords and do I just leave the holes in the wall or is there something to cover it hope this makes sense

This is what most on this forum use.
http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/avsspecialorder.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4370 Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by newerakb View Post
Anyone else having network problems with theirs? Mine was working fine the first few months, then last month all of a sudden I can't open apps anymore. When I try to open any app, it goes through the "Acquiring Internet Content" process, succeeds, and tells me that the content was updated and to run my app again. When I run the app it starts back over with the "Acquiring Internet Content" again. Over and over.

Sometimes I get an "Application cannot be launched because of server problems" error as well, but I can't find much info on that error anywhere.

The connection itself is fine. I can connect to my network over wireless or wired, get an IP, see my PC files on the network, etc. When I try to update the tv software it tells me no update is available. There is absolutely no indication at all that there is a connection problem, other than the inability to start up any apps like Netflix, Amazon, MLB.TV, etc.
I don't use the apps very much but have the same basic problem since the last update (or so it seems), have wifi signal but no internet, rebooted the router and then it worked. Two days later...repeat..?? Everything else works fine on router
post #4353 of 4370 Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
no input from users on this settings?
I use clear for cable HD and standard for blu ray with WS settings but slightly twicked in standard for both, I do not use vivid or custom at all.
post #4354 of 4370 Old 08-25-2014, 04:02 PM

Liked: 26
I rarely use the apps, either, but I just did a quick check of Crackle and Amazon Video. Both of them worked fine on my system.
post #4355 of 4370 Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamanna View Post
I don't use the apps very much but have the same basic problem since the last update (or so it seems), have wifi signal but no internet, rebooted the router and then it worked. Two days later...repeat..?? Everything else works fine on router
I used the WiFi on my earlier Panasonic Plasma this set replaced. I got tired of having to reboot the router each time I wanted to play a music video using the youtube app. I decided to replace the WiFi with a cat-5 cable made by Onn. The 25 foot thin gray cable didn't cost much at all from Walmart. Now the youtube and other apps are their anytime I want to use them.
post #4356 of 4370 Old 08-26-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 232
It's strange on how so many people are having issues using the app's on their W850. So far I have had zero issues using my app's on my W900 and my internet aint the best at time's in my home. And my W9 has the latest firmware update.
post #4357 of 4370 Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Here is a incredible view inside a modern microchip.

Today's microchips contain millions of transistors compared to TI's first back in 1965 which contained about 25 transistors. Advancing nano technology has boosted the electronic industry. Now I can see how they can manufacture a complex 4K screen with maybe billions of microscopic transistors behind it to make the pixels operate.

Not only are these microchips getting faster and more efficient, but they also run somewhat cooler and use less power.

steve1971 likes this.
post #4358 of 4370 Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Here is a incredible view inside a modern microchip.

Today's microchips contain millions of transistors compared to TI's first back in 1965 which contained about 25 transistors. Advancing nano technology has boosted the electronic industry. Now I can see how they can manufacture a complex 4K screen with maybe billions of microscopic transistors behind it to make the pixels operate.

Not only are these microchips getting faster and more efficient, but they also run somewhat cooler and use less power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxv3JoS1uY8

Cool video WS. I wonder how many of these microchips are in our TV's? Interesting.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4359 of 4370 Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I rarely use the apps, either, but I just did a quick check of Crackle and Amazon Video. Both of them worked fine on my system.

I do t use apps either. Between fire tv and my Xbox one, there is no need for me

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #4360 of 4370 Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I use the Youtube app fairly frequently, enough so that I realized it was simpler to move my chromecast to the bedroom TV which made my wife incredibly happy (she was previously watching Netflix on her laptop).
post #4361 of 4370 Old 08-27-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Managed to buy the tv for 1500 at Fry's, their in store price was lower than their online price. Thanks whitesands for the settings.
post #4362 of 4370 Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
It's strange on how so many people are having issues using the app's on their W850. So far I have had zero issues using my app's on my W900 and my internet aint the best at time's in my home. And my W9 has the latest firmware update.
The app's on my 850A have worked flawlessly since day one. I have Comcast Cables and I'm using wifi in my living room.

Hey WhiteSands - how many people have you helped with your settings so far?
post #4363 of 4370 Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 PM

Liked: 24
My 850a died from a power surge about a month ago and I miss that TV even more because Whitesands' settings made the picture look so good...

Went to Best Buy today and there is no way my wife would let one of the new fat Sony sets into the house. What were they smoking at Sony when they decided to fatten the TV's to make room for speakers. So no flat screen / fat speaker Sony for me this year.

I ordered the curved H8000 instead. I hope it will come near the quality of my 850...
post #4364 of 4370 Old 08-28-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardBEL View Post
My 850a died from a power surge about a month ago and I miss that TV even more because Whitesands' settings made the picture look so good...

Went to Best Buy today and there is no way my wife would let one of the new fat Sony sets into the house. What were they smoking at Sony when they decided to fatten the TV's to make room for speakers. So no flat screen / fat speaker Sony for me this year.

I ordered the curved H8000 instead. I hope it will come near the quality of my 850...

You must be talking about Sony's wedge monstrosities as I call them.
post #4365 of 4370 Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko View Post
The app's on my 850A have worked flawlessly since day one. I have Comcast Cables and I'm using wifi in my living room.

Hey WhiteSands - how many people have you helped with your settings so far?
When I first started the idea of the setting I thought they might be 30 to 35 at most would want them. Best I can figure i'm up to 390 sent out so far after the AVS update. I had sent out about 100 before the update. Looks like it's tapering way down but I did get 3 in one day a week ago. Recently it's been about 1 or 2 daily.

The new sets must be just about gone. The month of May and June was my busiest months due to the first price drop to $1799 by ABT Electronics then down to $1499 by Fry's. Those months I was sending out 8 to 13 settings ever few days. I sent them with 5 names per PM which helped a lot. So I have had lots of rest these last many weeks and will be looking forward to watching lots of regular season pro football.

I like to watch the top 10 ranked teams play. This is my favorite teams ranking page. You can click above the leagues to separate them or use the Sort box.

http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league
Fairfax-Franko likes this.
post #4366 of 4370 Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When I first started reading through this thread after purchasing my W850A I came to the conclusion that the only way to get the settings from WhiteSands were via PM. Then at some point I stumbled across this post which seems to summarize everything about calibration settings for this set:
Sony 65W850a reviews

If that's still accurate, in the future you may just want to direct link to that.
post #4367 of 4370 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Got my W850A about a week ago and really enjoy the picture, but I've got something peculiar going on with aspect ratio. Even when I have the zoom level set at "Full" and using a 1080P source over HTML, the screen seems to be zoomed in a bit. I've attached a picture of this effect using one of the test images from the WOW calibration disc. The tips of the triangles around the edge should point right at the edge of the screen, but instead you can see the tips are cut off a at the edges (ignore any color weirdness, that's just my mobile camera doing a bad capture job).

This particular image is from a sony blu-ray going through a sony reciever and then into the TV (all HDMI), so I thought it might be something else along the way mucking about with zoom levels. However, I also use this TV as an emergency monitor for my headless media server. It has an HDMI connection going straight to input 2 on the TV, and shows the same effect. This ends up being pretty annoying as the first handful of characters are cut off from every line in the terminal.

I can also adjust the zoom so that the image doesn't fill the full display (e.g. it fits top-bottom but there is some black on the left & right). Oddly, in this case I still see the same cut off effect but its just pinched in on the screen.

Any thoughts on what's going on here? Is there some setting I'm just missing, could it be cables, something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140829_075902241_HDR.jpg (216.9 KB, 10 views)
post #4368 of 4370 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYokel View Post
Got my W850A about a week ago and really enjoy the picture, but I've got something peculiar going on with aspect ratio. Even when I have the zoom level set at "Full" and using a 1080P source over HTML, the screen seems to be zoomed in a bit. I've attached a picture of this effect using one of the test images from the WOW calibration disc. The tips of the triangles around the edge should point right at the edge of the screen, but instead you can see the tips are cut off a at the edges (ignore any color weirdness, that's just my mobile camera doing a bad capture job).

This particular image is from a sony blu-ray going through a sony reciever and then into the TV (all HDMI), so I thought it might be something else along the way mucking about with zoom levels. However, I also use this TV as an emergency monitor for my headless media server. It has an HDMI connection going straight to input 2 on the TV, and shows the same effect. This ends up being pretty annoying as the first handful of characters are cut off from every line in the terminal.

I can also adjust the zoom so that the image doesn't fill the full display (e.g. it fits top-bottom but there is some black on the left & right). Oddly, in this case I still see the same cut off effect but its just pinched in on the screen.

Any thoughts on what's going on here? Is there some setting I'm just missing, could it be cables, something else?
Make sure it is set to Full Pixel, out of the box Sony default is slightly zoomed in. This is I believe so people can zoom in for a larger letterbox without losing too much picture. Also make sure Auto Display is set to off.

Last edited by mlamanna; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.
post #4369 of 4370 Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When I first started reading through this thread after purchasing my W850A I came to the conclusion that the only way to get the settings from WhiteSands were via PM. Then at some point I stumbled across this post which seems to summarize everything about calibration settings for this set:
Sony 65W850a reviews

If that's still accurate, in the future you may just want to direct link to that.
Sounds good but I may have made a few touch up changes. It's not that hard to left click my name and PM me for my current settings and I include 3 PM's when I send them out.

By using Pm's I can keep a record of how many I send out, but it's tapered way down since these sets are now hard to find new.

WS
post #4370 of 4370 Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This particular image is from a sony blu-ray going through a sony receiver and then into the TV (all HDMI), so I thought it might be something else along the way mucking about with zoom levels. However, I also use this TV as an emergency monitor for my headless media server. It has an HDMI connection going straight to input 2 on the TV, and shows the same effect. This ends up being pretty annoying as the first handful of characters are cut off from every line in the terminal.

I think you are saying your going though a Sony A/V Receiver before going to your TV.
I have seen some like my Yamaha A/V setup has a option to enhance the video to the TV. I shut that off as the TV has it's own enhancer. Actually that was a while back and I forget now were I left it, set to on or off.

I use the Wide button on the TV remote and on a wide 16x9 picture I press it to get the gray lines on the sides, then once more for the Full setting. I don't mess with it after that.

You might want to take a look at your blu ray remote to see if it has a width adjustment causing your WOW test pattern to not fit properly.

Last edited by WhiteSands; Today at 01:31 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page