Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 149 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4441 of 4461 Old 10-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
That sucks . Hope it can be fixed. As the 2014 1080p models are substandard to the 2013 65W850A . Keep us posted. Peace .
evoll88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4461 Old 10-26-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What's up guys, I've been away for awhile but I was one of the founding members for this thread. I have owned my set for alittle over 11 months now and I'm still in awe of how well it performs. Quick shout out to Whitesands who is the reason I bought this set. It is the steal of the last 5 years. I love my set. Gaming, 3D, TV, Movies you name it it's awesome. My sports settings are listed along while back so check them out. Best tv for the money in a long while!
post #4443 of 4461 Old 10-26-2014, 06:17 PM

Liked: 29
What's up y'all, it's been awhile. Quick shout out to Whitesands he is the reason I bought this tv. This set is the steal of the last 5 years not doubt. At 65 inches this thing has no equal at the price point. I have owned mine for over 11 months now and am loving it! If you can find one grab it!
post #4444 of 4461 Old 10-27-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Still have mine and seems like its looking better and better now that I have had it for a while now. I agree with you brundy on how good of a deal these TV's are.
post #4445 of 4461 Old 10-31-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
Still have mine and seems like its looking better and better now that I have had it for a while now. I agree with you brundy on how good of a deal these TV's are.
Once you get a good calibration going on this TV, the picture is definitely hard to beat! I've had a lot of people get impressed watching my TV. I showed them I run in Cinema picture mode, and they went home, and noticed on their sets (different brands) they had a default standard or vivid that was giving a bright / false looking colors picture. Once they changed to cinema they were impressed.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #4446 of 4461 Old 10-31-2014, 11:12 PM

^Def true and I left my parents the other day and their tv hurt my eyes since they have it in vivid lol. I also could not see anything in the shadows since their black levels was so dark and not calibrated like my tv. I pulled the meter out and adjusted theirs and it looks a lot better but still not as good as our TV's since its a Samsung lol.
post #4447 of 4461 Old 11-04-2014, 07:36 PM

Liked: 13
Well, after nearly 2 weeks, my 850A is repaired. Tech replaced the main controller board and everything appears to be back to normal. At first the TV would power on and then off and the LED would flash green and amber after the board was replaced. After waiting on hold with Sony forever, one of their reps told us that you have to load firmware on the TV via a USB drive after main board replacement. Weird that it doesn't come with any loaded on it already, but after that was done, all is well.
post #4448 of 4461 Old 11-07-2014, 10:40 PM

Good to hear you got your tv going again. If something happens to mine I don't know what I would do if it couldn't be fixed since there is no other tv I am interested in.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #4449 of 4461 Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
WhiteSands, if you would be kind enough to PM me your settings I'd be most appreciative! Thanks!
post #4450 of 4461 Old 11-10-2014, 09:42 AM

Thank You so much WhiteSands for sending me your settings. I just purchased it last week here in México where I live. Brand new from Walmart online bundled with ps3 500 gb. Total with free shipping $1,214 us (converted).
Should arrive any minute now.
Will let You know as soon as I get it.
Have a greatest week.
Eugenio.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #4451 of 4461 Old 11-11-2014, 09:52 PM

Liked: 0
WhiteSands, can you please PM me your settings ?
Thanks in advanced.
post #4452 of 4461 Old 11-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugenioLeyva View Post
Thank You so much WhiteSands for sending me your settings. I just purchased it last week here in México where I live. Brand new from Walmart online bundled with ps3 500 gb. Total with free shipping $1,214 us (converted).
Should arrive any minute now.
Will let You know as soon as I get it.
Have a greatest week.
Eugenio.
You were sure lucky to get this model W850a or W855a set as it's final production was last June. These sets were made in Mexico so you may have a advantage of finding these sets where they seem to be gone here in the States.

I check these forums including PM's twice weekly to see if anybody want's my settings. I wish Sony would make a similar set maybe a 70" model with the great picture this set makes.

Here below are some of my better scenic screen shots from my W850a set I have posted throughout these forums. I still can't get over the great blacks, realism and color this LED set produces.

whitesands

MOUNTAINS LAKE

PURPLE SUNRISE

GREEN LAKE

CLOSE UP FLOWERS, MTNS

PURPLE & RED FLOWERS, MTNS

GIRAFFE'S
post #4453 of 4461 Old 11-15-2014, 05:22 AM

I agree. It was a special offer. We have this thing here called "good weekend" gong on now similar to your "black friday" so it was a Steal for me. I got the tv this week and the first impression was not that good, but as soon as I started play ign with the settings, tweaking them to compensate for room lighting, it was Amazing. Just the right size and excellent picture and way better sound than any other set I have ever owned. I had to use some of sound and vision settings since 3D was initially blurry in fast scenes, so I turnes off some filters, automotion, and I was all set. It does show some banding and some vertical stripes in an all white secreten, but it doesnt show at all in regular programming. Tanks again to all who helped me make up my mind about this tv and to you WS for all your help with the settings.
post #4454 of 4461 Old 11-15-2014, 05:24 AM

By the way, my set has a manufacture date of June 2014.
post #4455 of 4461 Old 11-15-2014, 06:01 PM

Thanks WhiteSands for the settings, tv looks great.
I also bought mine from Walmart Mexico like EugenioLeyva. My package came with a PS4 for aprox 1475 dollars.
post #4456 of 4461 Old 11-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks to this thread! Whitesands posted previously about making sure Eco setting is on, I had turned off all Eco things after getting the TV.

I did not realize the positive difference it would make. Bad experiences with light sensors in the past...

With the ambient light sensor on (not power saving) I finally have a picture that blows me away. Love love love this tv. I really liked it before, but this gave me the quality I have seen in the shots posted here.
post #4457 of 4461 Old 11-17-2014, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

I leave the ECO turned 'off' and it was the room light sensor to be left set to 'on'.

I found some that think it's best to turn the room light sensor off. In doing so it allows the LED's to run extremely bright. Then they try to compensate by setting the backlight, brightness down. This set has one of the very best room light sensors I have ever seen, so please leave it on.

As in my settings I send out I try to leave the settings as close to the engineers default as I can. I never touch the advanced settings and see no reason too. I only make a few adjustments to improve the picture quality as you can see in my many scenic pictures.

This set makes fantastic blacks, great details with beautiful colors mostly due to this sets fast 2.2 ghz quad processor and it's triluminos color filters.

I'm hoping that Sony will come up with a similar maybe 70" or 75" affordable similar model in the next few years. Many don't know but this set listed for just over $3000 then went on sale for around $2895 best I can remember back in October 2013.
post #4458 of 4461 Old 11-17-2014, 10:12 PM

Good to see you are still around WhiteSands,how many times have you given out your settings now??
post #4459 of 4461 Old 11-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

I would guess I received right at 400 request for my settings. I remember some nights spending up to 4 hours answering PMs and sending out my settings. Lots of work but I enjoyed it.

I had offered my settings back in November 2013, but they really took off in early March 2014 as the request kept steadily increasing especially though the months of May and June. Those two months the price of this set dropped to $1499.

It would be interesting to know Sony's total sales of this set worldwide. I'm looking forward to the CES show in Vegas starting I think the first week in January. I use google and youtube to search to check each major manufacture like Sony, LG and Samsung to see what top line sets they come out with. No doubt most will be their 4K ultra-TV models.

I see that out local walmart now has a larger screen 4K set on display. Standing maybe 8 foot back the picture may have looked a touch sharper than the 1080p same screen size sets near it.

whitesands
post #4460 of 4461 Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any idea what was updated in todays Sony FW Update?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #4461 of 4461 Old Today, 06:57 AM

Thanks WhiteSands for your support and settings. I've been using this tv for more than 6 months and I still love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Any idea what was updated in todays Sony FW Update?
From sony support site:

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.491AAA) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG4.470AAA:
  • Improves video and audio playback performance
  • Enables Transport Layer Security 1.0 (TLS1.0) to enhance security of Internet applications
  • Improves reliability to the Secure Sockets Layer 3.0 (SSL3.0)
Regards,
bodean likes this.
post #4462 of 4461 Old Today, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
I would guess I received right at 400 request for my settings. I remember some nights spending up to 4 hours answering PMs and sending out my settings. Lots of work but I enjoyed it.

I had offered my settings back in November 2013, but they really took off in early March 2014 as the request kept steadily increasing especially though the months of May and June. Those two months the price of this set dropped to $1499.

It would be interesting to know Sony's total sales of this set worldwide. I'm looking forward to the CES show in Vegas starting I think the first week in January. I use google and youtube to search to check each major manufacture like Sony, LG and Samsung to see what top line sets they come out with. No doubt most will be their 4K ultra-TV models.

I see that out local walmart now has a larger screen 4K set on display. Standing maybe 8 foot back the picture may have looked a touch sharper than the 1080p same screen size sets near it.

whitesands
That is some crazy hours sending out picture settings but I am sure you have helped a ton of people and I know your review of this tv helped me decide to go with it and I have not been disappointed in it. I wanted to go with the f8500 plasma but had trouble with my last Samsung plasma and burn in so this tv or the 900a was my choices and with your help I went with the bigger tv and glad I did.
post #4463 of 4461 Old Today, 12:39 PM

Hey Whitesand would you mind PM your settings for the 65w850a... I also got it from Walmart in Mexico there was a huge sale, but im having trouble with the settings.
Thanxs!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread